MERGED-->Tour postponed? + HTDAAB Tour Dates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding myself wondering if a member of the band is sick, somehow. It just seems very odd that they'd prepare this tour only to scrub it for a family illness, when they've played through family illnesses before.

Yahweh said:
Sorry to hear that but anybody that goes by rumoured dates is really taking their chances to begin with.

I don't think there was much risk. I wasn't banking on U2 being in City A on the 7th and City B on the 9th, just that they were beginning in Miami and were sticking to the east coast for the first few days (which was basically a foregone conclusion).

Originally posted by knox
I'm finding myself wondering if a member of the band is sick, somehow. It just seems very odd that they'd prepare this tour only to scrub it for a family illness, when they've played through family illnesses before.

I thought that too, but U2 have played through band member illnesses and injuries - Edge injuring his eye in the October era, Bono dislocating his shoulder on JT, Bono suffering illnesses during Lovetown (if I remember correctly, only four shows were postponed as a result of that). Also, how do they know the band member will be ill and unable to play on 1 March but will be able to take the stage on the 28th? It is strange.

Also, it seems some people - myself included, I guess - have been taking this rumour as gospel. I think it may be wise to exercise a little bit of caution and skepticism.

It could be as simple as Larry has a sore back and needs time to recover or as complicated as a child with an illness.

We might never know and I'm not entirely convinced they need to tell us.

Or maybe edge broke a string on one of his guitars and has to wait until the end of Febuary, so they cant start rehursing!

As the weird-o's on the texas chainsaw massacre say
"the saw is family!"

or in edges case....
"The Guitar is Family!

(sorry if my posts have been in a bit strange today, i'm in a weird mood....)

Last edited:
Axver said:
I thought that too, but U2 have played through band member illnesses and injuries - Edge injuring his eye in the October era, Bono dislocating his shoulder on JT, Bono suffering illnesses during Lovetown (if I remember correctly, only four shows were postponed as a result of that). Also, how do they know the band member will be ill and unable to play on 1 March but will be able to take the stage on the 28th? It is strange.

It's possible that one of the members of the band had an accident that will physically debilitate them for a six weeks or so, and then they need another month or so to rehearse.

We don't know what happened, and if they want to tell us, they will, and if they don't... well, all it means is that when they get to Chicago they'll have been playing for four less weeks. Bono's voice might be a bit better. ;)

10 Reasons Why The Tour COULD, COULD BE POSTPONED!

1 - Edge Broke his Guitar Stings
2 - Bono Lost his Cowboy Hat(s)
3 - They Need money to go be able to get to the USA.
4 - Bono forgot to pick up one of the Kids, and has been grounded for 8 weeks.
"No Touring for You Mister!"
5 - Adams back on the "Miracle Drugs"
6 - Larrys Back
7 - u2 are fimling episodes for my U2 Sitcom
8 - Police tracked them down, and have have improsioned U2 for 8 weeks for the
driving around in the flat bed truck
9 - Edge injured his wrists whilst posting so many times on Interfernce
10 - Bono's waiting on his Hair Colour from Guthey Rinker

Axver said:
- All March dates postponed until the autumn leg? Not likely! March happens to include New York and Boston, two markets U2 would never skip.

Are you implying that U2 would prioritize their two biggest markets and profit-making over the illness of a family member? U2 don't need that money at this point. Health is more important to them.

Cheers,

J

Jick, I assume he meant that U2 would be sure to play Boston and New York during the first leg, even if the dates had to be moved.

jick said:

Are you implying that U2 would prioritize their two biggest markets and profit-making over the illness of a family member? U2 don't need that money at this point. Health is more important to them.

Cheers,

J

No, jick, I didn't mean that. It has been all-but-confirmed that New York and Boston will be played in March, and someone posted that all March dates had been postponed until the third leg. As NY and Boston are two of the biggest markets, U2 would not totally omit them from the first leg. I imagine that if the tour is postponed, they will play these major markets later in the leg.

Well, this sure wasn't what I wanted to wake to up. But I sure as hell hope everything is ok with U2 (& family).

The tour stuff I'll just have to deal with and will never be that important in the whole scheme of things.

NoControl said:

I wasn't laughing because U2 had necessarily used that as an excuse, but because of your naive response (IMO) to the industry in general. No offense.

No offense taken.

Trust me when I say that I am far from naive. I am normally the first person to look for ulterior motives but I just really don't think that U2 would use 'family illness' as an excuse for postponing a few concerts. However, as several people have pointed out, the family illness comment came from the always popular 'source close to the band' not officially from the band themselves so who knows what the real story is. We may or may not get a more complete explanation.

This may not be anything serious at all but they just didn't want to take any chances. If, for whatever reason, there was any doubt at all that they could start the tour on March 1 then it is better that they delay it now rather than wait until people buy tickets. I remember the uproar on the Wire board when U2 cancelled a show on the Pop tour (Charlotte?).

Hopefully, if someone close to the band is in fact ill, they will have a full recovery and everything goes as planned from here on.

Last edited:
I'm so sad, I have no luck...:(
U2 are not coming to Brazil again , then I was going to Florida, for all shows, and now...:sad:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

But regarding this news... I have to agree with the doubters. How can an illness occurring now cause a delay for March 1st? And how could this illness then mean everyone is suddenly ready on March 28th?

Think about it, they're postponing the start by 27 days, that's almost a month, and they're doing it almost two full months ahead of the McGuiness confirmed March 1st show. It's something serious.

I'm guessing it has to do with forthcoming therapy/tests, and after that, they'll decide what to do. (nothing is official yet)

I seriously doubt U2 would use such a low lie if it was a case of being uprepared. (what I heard from the Brooklyn show sounded fine to me)

Last edited:
okay, I've been reading most posts on U2 postponing the tour....
I'd like to add my bit as a father of a wonderful 2 year-old-daughter.
Last year my little girl fell ill. It seemed quite serious, but after tests doctors assured me she would totally recover after three weeks of treatment. I took time off from work to be with my daughter in hospital...........

.........Suppose something similar happened to one of Bono's, Edge's or Larry's kids??? I think you're kind of obliged to be there for your kids... It's as simple as that.

For all of you who are nagging about dates being skipped or postponed to a third leg..... BE PATTIENT !!!!!
U2 will come your way.....

yeah. none of this rumor is good. If it is a serious illness it would be extremely difficult to know in early january that by end of march it will be better. this suggests further delays... esp if it is a band member illness. another more cynical thought (and for the band's sake i hope this is the case) maybe there was some scheduling conflict or delay in the arrival of some part of the set.

People shouldn't be speculating over who's ill or what happened. The band hasn't announced anything yet. (Come to think of it they haven't announced any concert dates yet), so just wait till something official is stated. If its some kind of family illness...its really not any of my business nor anyone else's here. If anyone made travel plans for Maimi March 1, sorry to say its not a smart move to make plans on speculated dates...the band hasn't actually postponed anything...nothing has been officially scheduled.

Nothing was officially announced, except the tour kicking off on March 1st in Miami.

So they had made that official announcement.

Although interestingly enough the Happy New Year story about the dates being announced soon has mysteriously disappeared from U2.com, or is it me?

I really doubt anyone is really sick. This has to be a technical issue (stage design) or booking issue. I'm sure this tour has been a pain to plan because of the NHL situation and I still don't understand why U2 would build a stadium setup and not bring it the US. The album is selling big time. Its not like U2 is going to come out and say there having rehersal or technical issues and have to delay the tour 30 days. We all know what happen last time U2 jump the gun during Popmart. Trust me, for someone who was there opening night in Las Vegas its better they take an extra 28 days to resolve a tour issue.

zoopop said:
I really doubt anyone is really sick. This has to be a technical issue (stage design) or booking issue. I'm sure this tour has been a pain to plan because of the NHL situation and I still don't understand why U2 would build a stadium setup and not bring it the US. The album is selling big time. Its not like U2 is going to come out and say there having rehersal or technical issues and have to delay the tour 30 days. We all know what happen last time U2 jump the gun during Popmart. Trust me, for someone who was there opening night in Las Vegas its better they take an extra 28 days to resolve a tour issue.

I'm real sorry, but "family illness" isn't an excuse someone uses lightly. There's a ton of other excuses someone can use other than joking around about your family's health.

Something doesn't sound right, espeicially after a story posted on U2.com just a couple of days ago is now mysteriously gone.

I find it hard to believe some of the utter rubbish on this thread!
Of course the band are ready to go on tour they've been doing this for years (very succesfully as well!!apart from Pop) not just since Elevation!!!:huh:

Which ever family member it is that is ill I wish them a speedy recovery as for the band

TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED SOME OF US WILL STILL BE AROUND AND WE WONT KNOCK YOU FOR PUTTING YOUR FAMILIES FIRST!!

Last edited:
Axver said:

No, jick, I didn't mean that. It has been all-but-confirmed that New York and Boston will be played in March, and someone posted that all March dates had been postponed until the third leg. As NY and Boston are two of the biggest markets, U2 would not totally omit them from the first leg. I imagine that if the tour is postponed, they will play these major markets later in the leg.

Thanks for the clarification. You got me scared for a bit there.

Cheers,

J

It's like whisper down the lane here... There's really nothing we can do until something official is announced. Why freak yourselves (and possibly others) out prematurely?

Ok, so I saw this on U2tours.com; guess there really is something going on. Blah...

<<<<<
January 05, 2005
Along with today's Rolling Stone report that the tour has been postponed, @U2 can share the following, which comes from a reliable source:

Albany postponed

January 05, 2005
Word on the street in Albany is that the rumored March 28 show has been postponed until November.

Toronto postponed

January 05, 2005
A Toronto radio station reported today that U2 will not be playing there on the first leg of their upcoming tour, and that the concert will instead happen September 17 at the Air Canada Centre. (Thx JP)
>>>>>>

Modified announcement at U2.com

U2, 2005, Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to all U2.Com readers! With the New Year comes more info on the tour announcement.

Rest assured that U2.Com will be letting you know all the details and dates for the 2005 U2 tour as soon as they're available.

The tour announcement has been put back, as Paul McGuinness, U2's manager, explained.

'We've postponed the announcement of the tour because the routing is still being worked on. As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know.'

In the meantime, we'll be keeping you posted on two new singles coming up - 'All Because of You' in the US and Canada and 'Sometimes you Can't Make It On Your Own' in the rest of the world.

I wasnt going to comment on all of this but there is one thing that is glaring at me about this. If true, and if they are starting the tour on 3-28-05 in LA, it wouldnt match up to when they where "supposedly" playing LA on the rumored dates. So its very likely those dates were completely wrong as well. So those of you making tentative plans on those rumored dates could have been way off also. The only hardship occurs is if the tour was announced and maybe some tickets had gone on sale already, then you would have a mess. But neither is true obviously.

I think the big picture here is, the tour was never announced (its not like they are officially cancelling shows) AND they are still going to tour!!! If they stated the tour was cancelled period, that would be devastating. Whatever the reasoning (and I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with them being ready to tour musically or stage production wise as some have speculated) it doesnt really matter. Its their perogative to do what they feel is necessary.

Miroslava said:
Modified announcement at U2.com

U2, 2005, Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to all U2.Com readers! With the New Year comes more info on the tour announcement.

Rest assured that U2.Com will be letting you know all the details and dates for the 2005 U2 tour as soon as they're available.

The tour announcement has been put back, as Paul McGuinness, U2's manager, explained.

'We've postponed the announcement of the tour because the routing is still being worked on. As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know.'

In the meantime, we'll be keeping you posted on two new singles coming up - 'All Because of You' in the US and Canada and 'Sometimes you Can't Make It On Your Own' in the rest of the world.

I missed this when it was posted on the site but @u2 just sent it out as well. I'm sure the NHL lockout has caused major problems in booking for the arena shows but I don't see why this has to be covered with an excuse of "family illness".

Anyway, on a lighter note, my favorite rumor started from all of this is someone in the band is having plastic surgery and needs the time to recuperate. :lol:

edit: huh, wait, now it's posted twice on the site.:confused:
Well, I hope this means family illness is not the case and things are fine...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom