MERGED-->Tour postponed? + HTDAAB Tour Dates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
atu2 is reporting the tour will start in Los Angeles on March 28!!

That all March scheduled shows will be moved to fall leg of the tour.

Crazy....I hope whoever is ill is doing okay...This does not seem good.

We probably won't know the confirmed dates for weeks yet.

Folks, this is looking suspicious.

- "A source close to the band"? They've fed us PLENTY of crap before.
- Rolling Stone? They haven't been accurate U2 reporters in the past.
- RS say U2 are performing at the Grammy's. Well, I was pretty sure they weren't. They aren't nominated for anything major ... or anything that will even be televised!
- All March dates postponed until the autumn leg? Not likely! March happens to include New York and Boston, two markets U2 would never skip.

Don't believe what you hear or see just yet.

great for me... now the Australia leg is also postponed and they can think about South America FOR ONCE :angry:

Axver said:
Folks, this is looking suspicious.

- "A source close to the band"? They've fed us PLENTY of crap before.
-

Well, you right about that. It's a little weird that for such a major announcement like this, RollingStone didn't cite an official source :hmm:

Or maybe I'm just clinging to false hope :reject:

If someone is ill, I hope that everything will be okay :(

u2log.com is saying that an 'official' source has confirmed to them that this true.

Nothing that I've seen says that 'all' March dates will be postponed until the fall. Atu2.com says the March dates will be rescheduled, some of them not until the fall. I am sure they will get the NY and Boston dates in during the first leg.

I do hope whoever is ill is okay. :)

Our Tampa date was so perfect, though! I agree, Kelly, I hope I'm not clinging to false hope either, but let's hope that's not official!

kellyahern said:

Well, you right about that. It's a little weird that for such a major announcement like this, RollingStone didn't cite an official source :hmm:

Or maybe I'm just clinging to false hope :reject:

If someone is ill, I hope that everything will be okay :(

Unfortunately, I'm doubting that Rolling Stone could make such a BIG statement without there being any truth to it..:sad:

Yeah, I am suspicious....seriously, why wouldn't it first appear on the official website? Isn't U2.com supposed to give official announcements, or are they just not on top of things....why would RS say this first?

Well, the most important thing is that whoever is ill, gets well. A delay isn't the worst thing in the world and their family is most important.

Having said that, I'm a bit suspicious at the "source close to the band" thing. Also, since when were U2 going to perform at the Grammys? That's news to me.

Guess we'll just have to wait for the official news from u2.com

boosterjuice said:
It is looking more like U2 will NOT be visiting Calgary/Edmonton on the first leg. :(

:sad: :sad: :sad: I hope this isn't true!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Well, I'm hoping (and thinking) that the family illness is not as grim as some people may have assumed. If that were the case, I don't really see what postponing the tour for a couple of weeks would accomplish. So I'm taking the positive outlook and hoping all is going to be well.

anitram said:
Well, I'm hoping (and thinking) that the family illness is not as grim as some people may have assumed. If that were the case, I don't really see what postponing the tour for a couple of weeks would accomplish. So I'm taking the positive outlook and hoping all is going to be well.

Right. U2 have toured when Bono's father was on his deathbed. These guys won't postpone a tour just because of illness - especially because you can't predict recoveries.

If the tour is postponed (and this report currently looks highly suspicious), it will be for a different reason.

Given that there was never any official announcement of the tour, barring the March 1st Miami show, I don't see how this can alter anyone's plans.

I was hoping to go to Ireland in late June to see U2 and then possibly get my friend's son in France thereafter (as he summers in the U.S.). But if that doesn't happen, so be it. I can wait. :) This is especially true as the shows in Ireland (or anywhere else, other than Miami) were never confirmed or announced. All we had was a lot of speculation.

I just saved up a few extra vacation days so I have them for this year's tour. :yes: And now to save up $$. LOL! So whenever the tour starts, I hope to be ready.

But regarding this news... I have to agree with the doubters. How can an illness occurring now cause a delay for March 1st? And how could this illness then mean everyone is suddenly ready on March 28th? I know Bono plays God, but does even he have this power to control when a person will recover? :wink:

Some speculation (on my part) is that this is more of a "cosmetic" illness. Some light surgery perhaps? Something that will heal by late March? After all, the sources were very open about Bono's father. Why the sudden cryptic statements about "illness to a family member" now? Or, could U2 simply need more time? They were less than 2 months away from the start of a world tour. Perhaps the illness excuse sounded a lot better than "oh, we need more time". :D Just tossing out ideas...

Last edited:
I was thinking about the illness thing and the first thing that popped into my mind (Since I've been through it) is that someone in one of their families may be having cancer treatments. If you have chemo or radiation there is a set time for how long someone has to have their treatments. Usually radiation doesn't last as long as chemo. Chemo is the firs thing that popped into my mind though. However, it's all speculation.

doctorwho said:
Given that there was never any official announcement of the tour, barring the March 1st Miami show, I don't see how this can alter anyone's plans.

I would explain, but it's long and I truly don't have the energy or willpower to do so right now.

The "illness in the family" excuse is one of the oldest excuses in the book whenever promoters cancel concerts because of low sales, or more rarely and possibly in this case, that ticket sales were estimated too high for the $$$ that U2 originally assumed they could get away with charging within their "tentative" schedule...

Something's up and I'm betting it's not a "family illness."

The Cancer thing and cancer treatments is also the first thing that popped into my mind or sometype of surgery. I need to and would like to know more and this story is just breaking. U2.com will probably have something tomorrow. I do think it is a family illness and they wouldn't use something like that as an excuse unless it was true. I don't think it is cosmetic either. I hope whoever is ill is going to be okay.

U2log says they have confirmation from an official source on the Rolling Stone story. And I think comparing the death of Bono's father, mid-tour, to the kick off of a new tour when someones sick doesn't work. It's apples and oranges. What if it's someone from Edge's family? He's supposed to keep touring because Bono did?

NoControl said:
The "illness in the family" excuse is one of the oldest excuses in the book whenever promoters cancel concerts because of low sales, or more rarely and possibly in this case, that ticket sales were estimated too high for the $$$ that U2 originally assumed they could get away with charging within their "tentative" schedule...

Something's up and I'm betting it's not a "family illness."

Come on. How would they possibly know how ticket sales are going to go when they haven't even officially announced the dates much less the ticket prices? They did not cancel concerts. They are rescheduling some shows that had not even been officially announced yet.

I understand that people are disappointed that the tour is being delayed a few weeks but this is starting to approach what I think is an uncalled for level of bitterness. Let's wait until some more details are known before questioning the validity of the family illness explanation, okay? I would find it extremely out of character for this band to deliberately mislead fans about something like that. It is possible that Rolling Stone got the reason wrong but we don't know that right now.

Last edited:
I think the people who are saying it isn't a family illness and are trying to say that U2 are using it as an excuse should be ashamed of themselves. Put yourself in U2's shoes. Sometimes things happen and there is no control over them.

I'm not doubting that it is really an illness in the family. Besides wives and children, all of them except for Bono have parents in their late 60s/70s. And how Bono handled such a thing with his father in the middle of a tour could be way different than how the other guys might handle it with their folks, especially when the tour hasn't even started or been officially announced, and there is room for shuffling around. Bono also lets things hang out there more than the other guys. The guys are as much individuals as they are a group.

It could be a myriad of things - could be a physical condition rather than internal sickness like Larry's chronic back problems (could even be Larry...) that would improve within a finite period of time. U2 are hype and spinmasters extraordinaire, but I don't think they'd use "family illness" as a disguise for something else. and they are absolutely not obliged to give us any details about what may be going on in their families. Leave that be, we will be enjoying the tunes live soon enough.

Last edited:
Hopefully, it’ll be nothing too serious. I hope they'll start the tour when they feel that they are 100% ready.
I've been waiting “forever”, I can wait for two more weeks.
:sigh:

As Adamgirl and Lisa71 have said above, it seems possible that it is some condition requiring scheduled treatments or scheduled stay in hospital.

Zootomic said:
Come on. How would they possibly know how ticket sales are going to go when they haven't even officially announced the dates much less the ticket prices? They did not cancel concerts. They are rescheduling some shows that had not even been officially announced yet.

For some it's different, but for U2, ticket prices and sales of the latest album, primarily. And I didn't say they cancelled any concerts.

Originally posted by Zootomic I would find it extremely out of character for this band to deliberately mislead fans about something like that.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom