MERGED-->Ticketmaster says March 1st + $49-160??? + Ticketmaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Angel...

Of course, everything is rumor at this point.

The March 28 Albany show was one of those "unconfirmed rumored" shows anyway. But people were believing it because the old rumored schedule almost exactly conformed to the ZooTV schedule (in fact, March 28 is just a week or so ahead of where the band played Albany in 1992...that show was either March 18 or 22, forgot which. And in 92 the band played NYC, then Hartford, then Albany. Similar to the rumors.)

All I know is: yesterday, on my local Albany station, I heard a plug for U2 tix giveaway 3 times by the late afternoon..once by pre-recorded message, twice by a live DJ. The tickets were for a "secret location". No date or place given.

Today I called WFLY 92 and they said they couldn't give out any more info.I asked, "Is this for someplace on the East Coast?" And we went,.."welll"...And he said he couldn't say anything more about that. Hey, I tried. He said they were being very tight-lipped until the actual announcement, and he wasn't allowed to give out any info to people.

So I theorized that:

1) The March 28 date at the Pepsi Arena was real, was never dropped, and is still on, only no DJ is allowed to give out any more info until the tour is officially announced;

2) The March 28 date was "put on hold" while the band decided whether or not to tour, Clear Channel left it open just in case the band decided yes;

3)The "secret location" is in LasVegas or LA, in late March or early April--but the problem with this is,

--a)last time nobody in Albany gave away tickets to other U2 "opening nights"; plus, if we have our own show coming down the pipline, why give away tickets for somewhere else?
b)If the Albany show has been rescheduled to October or November, why give away tickets now?

Last edited:
Maybe you're right. But in the past, none of our stations has ever given away tickets to out-of-town U2 shows. I can't say for the JT tour or the UF tour what radio did, I wasn't listening slavishly at that time...Not even the very popular nearby import WEQX Manchester, Vermont. In the 80's, played Buffalo and the Syracuse War Memorial. I think they like Albany b/c it's on their "home base" in NYC" route.

Maybe that's because the band have always played here ever since ZooTV. We've had our arena since 1990, formerly the Knickerbocker Arena until PepsiCo bought it out in 1996 and it became the Pepsi Arena. (For me, it's always "the Knick". Knickerbocker was anod to Albany's Dutch heritage, and it didn't sound corny if you shortened it.How many Pepsi Arenas are there in the US now?:( )

BTW, our claim to fame is that we took Bono's word about "coming back" seriously in 1992; in April-May local record stores circulated a petition that collected about 25,000 signatures which EQX presented to Principle management. The band responded by scheduling the only open-air show of ZooTV in the US, at the Saratoga Harness track in August. Saratoga, ahalf-hour north of Albany, has two old racetrack, both about 140 yrs old: The Saratoga Race track and its siter, the Harness Track, for harness racing, also very popular. The U2 show was the first ever rock concert held there I think. 40,000 people, as muddy as Woodstock..and a heck of a lot of fun. They said the show could be heard clearly 4 miles away...The whole racetrack area was one big GA field, and the stands were full. I had 22nd "row" tix (thanks Propaganda! Total cost: including fees...$34.50...read it and weep...)

The band also has a history of early touring here. After Boston, the first place they played in America was an Albany club called JB Scott's, which became a Strawberries record store in the 90's, but now that's gone too. It was their 5th ever show in the US. March of 1981 or something. the audience: a total of 22 people! And in 1983, they played their War tour stop here in a college music festival on the SUNY campus about a half-mile from my current home. There was a famous pic from that summer of Bono kneeling down onstage before a woman taking a rose from her. Ah, that mullet haircut...:wink:

Last edited:
LOL Axver! I'm beginning to really like you:wink:

Check out the latrst edition of Rolling AStone's liost of ticket prices to major shows last year. Comparer them with U2's projected price.

OUCH.

Just heard today that U2 was throwing the idea around of doing "surprise shows" as they play the actual tour. Sounds pretty cool to me. Having them play at an arena and then two days later they suprisingly show up at the House of Blues to play a 30 minute show.

By the way my source works in the touring biz so it sounds pretty legit.

Back
Top Bottom