MERGED-->The extra dates - a chance for U2.com to redeem itself?+More shows to come

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boozyuzi

Acrobat
The extra dates - a chance for U2.con to redeem itself ?

There's probably still another 20 or 25 extra dates still to be announced for the 1st US leg and the European leg. IMO U2.con should issue everyone with a new pre-sale code. They should then sort it out with Tickmaster and this time gaurantee every paid up member 2 or 4 GA admission ticket's for a venue + they should be offering tickets to members at a reduced rate.

I reckon it's the only way that they can redeem themselves.

U2.com already stated the band would only visit 13 cities in NA for the first leg. Doubtful that NA will see 20-25 extra dates.

More shows to come

I know everyone knows this, but the way some shows are spaced out they will 100% add more shows in most cities. I mean 1 show in LA? They are going to have 2 or 3 shows in LA and another 2 or 3 in Anahiem. This will all give us plenty of chances to not only see a show but get GA tickets. Any thoughts anyone?

Not much to say, but these shows are pretty much a guarantee. They just didn't want to book them until the first ones sold out. Someone already pointed out that another Northern California show is listed for the night after San Jose (probably another SJ show)

You'll see multiple shows come on after the originals sell out, but the problem is they usually go onsale that day. No time for a presale/password/etc...

Get ready for a wild ride come Saturday

North America should receive 14 additional dates to take the first leg to a total of 30 shows, all of which should occur in the already announced 13 cities. For Europe, it is been stated that its leg is 30 shows, so expect another 6.

Generally a band contracts with the promoter for a set amount of shows which they agree upon in the contract. These are usually in blocks of like 25, 30, 35, 40, etc. It would be unusual for U2 to have said we contract to do like 23 shows. For the band to go beyond that contracted amount would require additional negotiating between them and the promoter.

From Popmart onward, U2's tours have all been handled by TNA out of Toronto. TNA gives U2 a set amount for the entire tour, so U2 knows prior to the tour even starting that they can bank on that set amount of money. Anything beyond the amount that is payed by TNA to U2 is kept as profit by TNA. Paul McGuinness has stated that after the whole 2 year Zoo TV tour ended, the band (and Paul as he collects 20% of the money) only earned a total of about $3-4,000,000 in profit, due to the enormous cost of the staging. On that tour and prior to it, they worked with individual promoters in each market. That's why ever since they have always sold the entire tour to 1 promoter, to decrease the financial risks on them.

I believe that every city on the first leg has a provisonal second date in store, with the cities already announced for 2 dates (Chicago, East Rutherford, Boston) contracted to expand to 3-4 shows each. If the demand is not strong enough in certain cities, they would try to shift the provisional second date in a city to another city, if it made sense logistically. For example, they still could add Las Vegas to the first leg on April 16 or 17 if they feel the demand in Phoenix is not strong enough to warrant a second show.

If you start adding in second nights into the large gaps left, you can easily get to 30 shows. I think every market is strong enough to get their additional shows with the possible exception being the Seattle/Vancouver are. Seattle should get 2 shows, but maybe Vancouver will end up with 1.

There's still a rumor going around that U2 will headline one of the nights of the Coachella festival on April 30-May 1. Their lineup will be annonced on Janauary 31, 1 days after the Los Angeles area shows go on sale and should be long since sold out.

Last edited:
Halup said:
There's still a rumor going around that U2 will headline one of the nights of the Coachella festival on April 30-May 1. Their lineup will be annonced on Janauary 31, 1 days after the Los Angeles area shows go on sale and should be long since sold out.

That rumor is pretty significant, especially since there is such a big gap between shows (April 28- May 7)...of course, it's all just speculation at this point (besides the Filter mag article which started this).

clip51 is right on with this one though...the extra dates are usually added 15-30 minutes after the normal onsale...so around 10:15/10:30 on Saturday morning...there WILL NOT be any U2.com member presale for these shows!!!

The smartest thing U2 could do is to delay those added shows form going on sale to 1 week later instead of putting them on sale right after. I suspect though that the 1 week delay will only happen with the European stadium shows. They could let anyone who has not used their code to use it next week prior to the public sale. The problme is that many shows, at least the California ones I have been looking at, still have a lot of bad presale tickets left. I think U2 management will use this to claim the presale did indeed work from their standpoint, since people can claim these tickets until Friday at noon.

Thanks for providing that link, Axver. I think those extra days listed on that site are pretty accurate. I was counting on San Diego night 2 being on March 30th, since for Elevation, they had a 1 day break between the 2 shows in Sunrise, FL, giving them an extra day to work out kinks from opening night. For L.A., you could tell April 6 would be night 2 since the 7th is taken for basketball. Anaheim has 2nd and 3rd available for their second night, but this site lists them as using April 2nd for night 2.

I got tickets to elevation tour by showing up at ticketmaster foley's and they got me 2 tickets in a good area. GA tickets are overrated. My passcode will probably become a useless piece of trash. If I live in Texas, can I still buy tickets @ Foley's tickmaster outlet for the Chicago show on Saturday?

I wish there was a way to accommodate the fans who took nosebleed seats to, say, the Meadowlands because MSG sold out. Maybe let them return/cancel their order and reactivate their code so they could then try for the third leg. I doubt if they'll let folks purchase tickets on both legs with the same code - there were folks who said screw it, I'll wait for the third leg.

Last edited:
Halup, thanks for the post. So is it TNA that's screwing us over by funneling the GAs to the ticket brokers?

Also who sets the price of the tickets? Is that negotiated between U2 and TNA, or does TNA choose what it wills?

Thx

David

ok I a couple of dilemmas now, I was planning on going to Croke park dublin, but the presale is on a monday and I will be 90 miles away at a funeral so no chance to be on the comp for that one, then in a snippet in the paper Bono claims he is waiting to see how Croke park goes and they MIGHT play another Gig in
Belfast..
which would be so much more convient for me.. I don't know what to do though... line up and get my tickets for croke park and the general sale Next Friday .. which will be sold out in no time so it will be then or never so if I don't get them then and they don't play Belfast after all I don't get to see them at all...
I just wish we all knew for sure where they are playing so I know what gig to get the tickets for..

I will be really pissed if I have to spend a fortune for tickets for Croke park to find out I have no money left to see them nearer home in Belfast which I might be able to use my presale tickets for

arizzzona, I have no idea how the GAs would be making it to the ticket brokers, but I suspect that some of them bought memberships like we did and as for the others, who knows?

As far as setting the ticket price, from my understanding the way it works, TNA which is a division of Clear Channel, offers U2 or which ever act they are doing a tour for, 1 set amount of money from which everyone involved with the show gets payed. I've heard a figure of $200,000,000 that gets payed to U2, but I think that was either for Elevation or Popmart. This is money U2 is able to count on, regardless of whether each show sells out or not. From this amount, U2 pays for everything: the crew salaries, the costs of staging, hotels, the rental for venues, insurance and ultimately the remainder after all expenses is divided into 5 equal amounts by the band and Paul M. Additonally, it's normal for the band and the venues they play at to split even the sales from merchandise. Paul has stated that in 1992, when U2 did not go with a single promoter guranteeing them a set amount, that it was the merchandise sales them kept them afloat, due to the expensive nature of the show.

When TNA offers this amount of money, they figure out how they can price the tour where it is still in their minds affordable to the public, yet will allow them to bring in total worldwide grosses above the $200,000,000 they are paying out to the band, so they are able to profit.I believe they set the ticket prices and submit them to U2 for approval. If TNA proposed having the best seats priced at $300 each, like TNA has done with the Rolling Stones, I think U2 would not accept that. As a result, I believe the final ticket prices are fully agreed upon by TNA and U2.

A thing I wonder is how much influence TNA has over where U2 plans to play. I know for a fact from a U2 bodyguard that as of April 2001, the plan was to take the Elevation tour to Australia and Japan in late November-December and to end the entire tour in South America in January 2002. Obviously this changed, I believe because of bad currency exchanges with these countries. As we know U2 added 2 weeks of US shows to follow the November 19th Los Angeles date that was to have been the final US show prior to going overseas. Perhaps U2 wanted to take the show overseas but TNA talked them out of it due to a grim forcast on how high they would have to set prices in those countries to make them profitable or maybe U2 themselves fully decided to stay where the big money was assured?

This is just speculation, but perhaps the increase in ticket prices this tour not only take into account inflation and higher salaries to U2's crew, but maybe they are designed to help offset the costs of taking the show to Japan and Australia this tour? In 2001, they never publicly stated that they were going beyond N America and Europe, but they have this time.

In a possibly good sign for U2 fans in S America is that TNA is already planning for the Rolling Stones to go to S America in early 2006 on their upcoming tour. The Stones also skipped S America on their last tour, so maybe TNA has figured out a financial model that will allow them to take U2 back there in early 2006.

Media sources in Ireland have said Croke Park is being held for a second date on June 25. Originally the 2 dates being mentioned were June 25-26, when now they are 24-25. This leaves June 27 now open as a date that could be used for Croke Park night 3 or for Belfast. After selling out 2 nights at Slane to 80,000 each, the demand is high enough for 3 shows in Ireland. Croke Park is about 60,000 for each night.

At this point it's pure specualtion whether they decide to give Dublin 3 nights or to do a better thing and give Belfast a show also, as Bono has been saying he wants to play there. I know in 1997, Belfast was a late addtion to the internary. Popmart was announced in February 1997, but I think Belfast was only announced in late July of that year.

Last edited:
Question about new dates?

Ive been trying all day to get someone to answer if they know anything about this:

question: they say theyre going to add shows. will they be adding them before or after the general sale? my reasoning is that i have 2 presale tix for philly but if they add another date i would rather get 2 for that new show than 2 more for the same date..... anyone know how it may work? i wouldnt want to wait and see then be left out.

Historically, they add the second shows in cities literally minutes after the first one sells out. Philadelphia should sell out within 10 minutes, meaning that under normal circumstances, the second show would be added that same morning. If U2 wants to try to do the right thing, they'll hold off adding shows until the following weekend and have another presale next Tuesday for the added shows. Paul McGuinness seems to be listening to some of the complaints and suggestions coming through in the phone calls and faxes to Principle Management and has suggested there may be a presale for added dates. Whether this happens, who knows?
I somehow doubt they'll tell us the answer in advance. I suspect if they are planning to hold the added dates for another week, they may keep us in limbo, constantly checking our computers to see if another show has been added.

Back
Top Bottom