MERGED->Running... - Military connection?+Bono's Dedication on "Running to Stand Stil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Bono's Dedication on "Running to Stand Still"

I hope this is the right forum for this post - if not, I ask the mods' forgiveness and that they move it accordingly.

My coworker/friend and I were wondering, why does Bono dedicate "Running to Stand Still" to American troops? This song is about heroine addiction, so this dedication doesn't make a lot of sense to us.

Any comments?

P.S. If this topic has been already covered, please refer me to the thread. Thank you! :wave:

Ok I'm going to try to interpret this song being dedicated to the troops as best as I can.

Running to Stand Still-Obviously we know that the troops are in Iraq and there's been a whole lot of bloodshed. The troops want to stand still but can't so they are running to stand still from the bloodshed that is happening.

I don't even know if this could be interpreted like this or not. I sound a bit dopey trying to explain it. :| :reject:

well

I don't think it has much to do with the song. I think after all of the ranting he does during Bullet, he wants the U.S. audiences to know that while he may not agree with what's going on over there, he realizes the troops are putting their lives on the line for freedom. His dedication covers his arse from his rants being mistakenly perceived as anti-American. Just my .02 cents.

Maybe... I interpreted it as Americans rushing in but making very little progress in the end, which is a far more political view than many of you seem to have thought. Hmm...

Some has already posted this but here is an portion of Bill Flanagan's "At the End of the World" describing the dual inspirations for the song - there is more to this in the book - very powerful
- hope this helps

"...but Jerry also gave Bono the idea for one of the strongest parts of U2's concert: Bono performs "Bullet the Blue Sky" in the voice, attitude, and clothes of a U.S. Soldier leading a combat mission the Third World, and then stays in that persona for "Running to Stand Still," a song written about Dubliners who use heroin to escape their poverty. Bono is playing Jerry Mele when he performs those songs; it was knowing Jerry that made him understand that those two characters could be the same person. At the end of that sequence every night red and yellow smake flares go off and billow up around Bono. He took that from Jerry's stories about the chaos on the ground during a jungle firefight; one color meant it was safe for the rescue copter to comein a pick up the wounded, the other color meant ot stay away. The Vietcong figured out the code and started shooting up figured out the code and started shooting up flares of their own, luring pilots to their death or keeping rescue helicopters for landing."
page 290

nurse chrissi said:
Some has already posted this but here is an portion of Bill Flanagan's "At the End of the World" describing the dual inspirations for the song - there is more to this in the book - very powerful
- hope this helps

"...but Jerry also gave Bono the idea for one of the strongest parts of U2's concert: Bono performs "Bullet the Blue Sky" in the voice, attitude, and clothes of a U.S. Soldier leading a combat mission the Third World, and then stays in that persona for "Running to Stand Still," a song written about Dubliners who use heroin to escape their poverty. Bono is playing Jerry Mele when he performs those songs; it was knowing Jerry that made him understand that those two characters could be the same person. At the end of that sequence every night red and yellow smake flares go off and billow up around Bono. He took that from Jerry's stories about the chaos on the ground during a jungle firefight; one color meant it was safe for the rescue copter to comein a pick up the wounded, the other color meant ot stay away. The Vietcong figured out the code and started shooting up figured out the code and started shooting up flares of their own, luring pilots to their death or keeping rescue helicopters for landing."
page 290

I think this is an interesting theory, but I don't know if I fully accept it.

I recall those ZOO TV shows. During the performance of RTSS, Bono would make a big deal out of rolling up his sleeve and then mock injecting himself with a needle (during the line, "she suffers the needle chill"). So while Bono may have been dressed as a soldier, he clearly made this song about drug addiction.

As such, I'm having a hard time accepting this transition now, where he dedicates a song about drug abuse to soldiers in a war. Per your above definition, it's almost as if you are saying the two are one in the same, which we all know is wrong and horribly insulting.

As such, while I accept Bono's acknowledging U.S. soldiers (especially after the tirade of "Love & Peace", SBS and "Bullet"), surely there are far better songs he could dedicate to them than RTSS.

this is confusing?

Many join the military to escape poverty. Even though current American troops joined the military of their own free will, for the most part, people go in expecting a free colllege education or at the very least, a stepping stone to a better place. Many enlisted never expect to actually do any fighting.

Patriotism and the desire for freedom play a role in joining the military, but let's face it, it's mostly the poor who enlist, because if you are rich, there are safer, more comfortable ways to show your patriotism/desire for freedom.

There are so many similarities in my mind, I can't even imagine why the confusion over the connection. Lonliness, a living hell, a sense of hopelessless being just a few connections with addiction and being in the midst of war.

Also, aviator pilots are given drugs in order to enable them to fly long missions and stay awake in the process. Even for the average foot soldier, I wouldn't be surprised if drugs are sometimes a way to take the edge off the trauma that is war.

But look at all those similarities you mentioned - all of them are horribly negative!

If I'm dedicating something to someone, it's usually in a positive manner. With all those negative issues, it's like dedicating a movie about torture and death to your loving, doting mother!

So again, I question the dedication.

The connection between soldiers and drug abusers is not too far of a stretch, IMO. I don't have the data, but have read that many soldiers coming home from Iraq suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, and drug and alcohol abuse are not uncommon.

My thought, much like locomosquito's was just the song's title, not its meaning was dedicated to the troops, because they've gone through a lot and haven't seemingly made lots of progress.
Just one man's interpretation.

MumblingBono said:
The connection between soldiers and drug abusers is not too far of a stretch, IMO. I don't have the data, but have read that many soldiers coming home from Iraq suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, and drug and alcohol abuse are not uncommon.

I don't think that the significance of this occurrence is great enough to inspire Bono to dedicate the song to the troops. The current war isn't Vietnam.

Dunno if I want to read too much into the "whys" - I just think it's a nice sentiment whatever his reasons.

Whether or not folks agree with the military involvement in Iraq (or elsewhere for that matter), they are our sons, daughters, fathers and mothers who are there because sadly, it's their job.

Given that there's been a lot of very negative press given to a very few "bad apples" in the military, it's all too easy to be critical of all those men and women who would certainly rather be home with their families. I guess Bono is just saying "Hey we're thinking about you and even if we're against the war, we're not against YOU".

As for RTSS itself, I imagine that those servicemen and women wake up on a daily basis just wanting to be out of that bad situation. Like the girl in the song.

It could really just be that simple I suppose.

S

Here are the similarities and my interpretation of the brave young people of the U.S. Military to which this song is dedicated to.

I woke up one day and now I’m fighting a conflict. Not a personal conflict but an armed conflict. = (And so she woke up, woke up from where she was lying still
Said I got to do something about where we're going)

Regardless of my feelings for this armed conflict, there is only one way out. I signed up to support the United States of America and now I will go fight. = (I see 7 towers but I only see one way out.)

Every day I fight for survival in this armed conflict. So I’m fighting to live another day, in a sense “I’m Running to Stand Still” = (You know I took the poison from the poison stream).

And for those who have lost the battle with the enemy. - = (Bono offers his pray for those in a far out place away from here. Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Halle, Halle, Hallelujah.........)

Folks, This song in concert is brilliant, moving, & inspirational. I have listened to the Chicago IV tape and this one stands out for me from all other songs. Just listen to the audience appreciation and you will see what I’m talking about. Hidden gem of the tour in my opinion!

?

doctorwho said:
But look at all those similarities you mentioned - all of them are horribly negative!

If I'm dedicating something to someone, it's usually in a positive manner. With all those negative issues, it's like dedicating a movie about torture and death to your loving, doting mother!

So again, I question the dedication.

I think he's demonstrating empathy for both drug addicts and soldiers. If he writes a song that demonstrates his empathy towards drug addicts, why would it be confusing that he would dedicate the song to soldiers also caught in a no-win situation?

bigwali said:

Folks, This song in concert is brilliant, moving, & inspirational. I have listened to the Chicago IV tape and this one stands out for me from all other songs. Just listen to the audience appreciation and you will see what I’m talking about. Hidden gem of the tour in my opinion!

I was at that show and that moment was wonderful - it seemed different from the other dedications on this tour

just my opinion but u2 is showing that that don't like the policies but support those on the front lines

I think you are all right, and you've given us all some interesting interpretations, that has made me think of this song and the dedication in a new way. I do think too, that Bono is trying to avoid being conceived as anti-American, but there seems to be a bit more to it than that.

"heroine addiction" :giggle:

This dedication has bothered me too, it seems like there are plenty of other songs they could dedicate to the troops. But if this is what they have to do to get RTSS included in the setlist, then I guess I'm all for it :up:

nurse chrissi said:

I was at that show and that moment was wonderful - it seemed different from the other dedications on this tour

just my opinion but u2 is showing that that don't like the policies but support those on the front lines

nurse chrissi - congrats on being there for Chicago IV and to hear a soaring rendition of RTSS. I think when this tour is finished, the Chicago IV show will be in most peoples top 10.

I sure hope RTSS stays in the roation for the 3rd leg so I can hear it live.

I think this is the second thread like this, there was one aways back…but I think we all on the right track.
It made sense to me the very first time I heard the dedication…people stuck In a situation where they are doing a lot (sacrificing) just to make minimal if no progress.…running to stand still. I do think it’s a way of saying support the troops if you don’t support the policy. Enjoy it, it would make sense if it’s the last time it shows up regularly on a tour for along time if not ever….

u2girlcj said:
"heroine addiction" :giggle:

This dedication has bothered me too, it seems like there are plenty of other songs they could dedicate to the troops. But if this is what they have to do to get RTSS included in the setlist, then I guess I'm all for it :up:

Did I misspell heroin? If so - oopsy. :wink: If it wasn't me, well, oopsy for the other person. ;)

I agree with you U2girlCJ. I'm happy to see Bono/U2 recognize those who are fighting - fighting a war that even the soldiers may not appreciate (I guess there is a Vietnam side here afterall, RandHail). And as this is a beautiful song, why not.

It's just that when I think of dedications, I think of something more uplifting... this song is more about a situation than how to resolve it. Well, at least the recognition is there. :yes:

Granted that RTSS is probably not the best tribute but it’s not a literal dedication. I think that Bono’s intro into the song is the key, where he acknowledges any service members in the audience, welcomes them, and basically states we haven’t forgotten you or your sacrifice without making ANY political statement. I have a good handle on what Bono’s political ideology is, his opinion on the war, and of the Bush administration and I think he demonstrates that subtly in “Bullet” but he segues nicely into the “tribute” with “Hands that Built America” and “Johnny comes Marching Home” snippets. The band is doing the best of what they can with the current setlist and several other songs already have “themes” attached to them and others are grossly inappropriate, like “Elevation” or “Sunday Bloody Sunday”.

I didn't read all the posts, but here's my take on it, RTSS is one of my top ten songs, and I can really relate to the song eventhough I've never had an drug addiction.

In a more general sense of the song I thing it talks about being in a situation you can't control, therefore the phrase "running to stand still", you know keep on moving before it get's to you, (and not in a literal way) anyway that's my interpretation of the song, great freaking song to listen to on a road trip makes you thinks about a lot of things

would you rather the song be dedicated to the herorine addicts at the show?

imo the military is tied to the song, since they are stuck/powerless in a situation that something else (drugs/gov't) controls.

is the military presence is in Iraq changing much?

locomosquito said:
Maybe... I interpreted it as Americans rushing in but making very little progress in the end, which is a far more political view than many of you seem to have thought. Hmm...

I agree with this one, it's what I thought the first time I heard that dedication, it seems a bit of an ironic song title if that isn't the case, doesn't it? I wanted to start up my own thread but thought I'd best leave it.

I think many of you are on the right track, its about supporting people in a situation that they can't get out of easily. You can support the people without supporting their actions, ie. the war or drug use.

I don't think that the significance of this occurrence is great enough to inspire Bono to dedicate the song to the troops. The current war isn't Vietnam.

If you don't think the current war is Vietnam, then you probably don't live with a Gulf War Vet. I'm the daughter of a Vietnam Vet and the wife of a Gulf War vet. My husband went over the Gulf as an energitic 18 yr old kid who wanted to serve and honor his country. When he inlisted there wasn't a war going on yet. He got trained just in time to go over to join the living hell that is war. They sent him home a grown man who is physically and emotionally broken. He may not be spit on in the streets, but he sure has been by our goverment along with alot of other Vets from many wars. Just, because you see things on the tv more now, doesn't mean that soilders receive any better treatment. Any sort of message of hope someone can give them is a good thing in my opinion.

Yeah someone else posted something awhile ago that I think added to the Vietnam theory. I think this was inspired by Bono talking to a Vietnam vet who told about his experience with severe drug addiction after the war, prompting Bono to come up w/ the BTBS-->RTSS combo. Seeing as we're in a war right now, the problems Vietnam vets faced are also faced by modern day soldiers, and they're doing the same BTBS-->RTSS transition, I guess he thought it was a good moment to show support for our troops. Sort of makes sense I guess:huh:

Back
Top Bottom