MERGED->Running... - Military connection?+Bono's Dedication on "Running to Stand Stil - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #16
Babyface

Local Time: 02:53 PM
?

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
But look at all those similarities you mentioned - all of them are horribly negative!

If I'm dedicating something to someone, it's usually in a positive manner. With all those negative issues, it's like dedicating a movie about torture and death to your loving, doting mother!

So again, I question the dedication.
I think he's demonstrating empathy for both drug addicts and soldiers. If he writes a song that demonstrates his empathy towards drug addicts, why would it be confusing that he would dedicate the song to soldiers also caught in a no-win situation?

Old 05-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwali

Folks, This song in concert is brilliant, moving, & inspirational. I have listened to the Chicago IV tape and this one stands out for me from all other songs. Just listen to the audience appreciation and you will see what I’m talking about. Hidden gem of the tour in my opinion!
I was at that show and that moment was wonderful - it seemed different from the other dedications on this tour

just my opinion but u2 is showing that that don't like the policies but support those on the front lines

Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 PM
I think you are all right, and you've given us all some interesting interpretations, that has made me think of this song and the dedication in a new way. I do think too, that Bono is trying to avoid being conceived as anti-American, but there seems to be a bit more to it than that.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:53 PM
"heroine addiction"

This dedication has bothered me too, it seems like there are plenty of other songs they could dedicate to the troops. But if this is what they have to do to get RTSS included in the setlist, then I guess I'm all for it
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nurse chrissi

I was at that show and that moment was wonderful - it seemed different from the other dedications on this tour

just my opinion but u2 is showing that that don't like the policies but support those on the front lines
nurse chrissi - congrats on being there for Chicago IV and to hear a soaring rendition of RTSS. I think when this tour is finished, the Chicago IV show will be in most peoples top 10.

I sure hope RTSS stays in the roation for the 3rd leg so I can hear it live.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 07:53 PM
I think this is the second thread like this, there was one aways back…but I think we all on the right track.
It made sense to me the very first time I heard the dedication…people stuck In a situation where they are doing a lot (sacrificing) just to make minimal if no progress.…running to stand still. I do think it’s a way of saying support the troops if you don’t support the policy. Enjoy it, it would make sense if it’s the last time it shows up regularly on a tour for along time if not ever….
Old 05-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by u2girlcj
"heroine addiction"

This dedication has bothered me too, it seems like there are plenty of other songs they could dedicate to the troops. But if this is what they have to do to get RTSS included in the setlist, then I guess I'm all for it
Did I misspell heroin? If so - oopsy. If it wasn't me, well, oopsy for the other person.

I agree with you U2girlCJ. I'm happy to see Bono/U2 recognize those who are fighting - fighting a war that even the soldiers may not appreciate (I guess there is a Vietnam side here afterall, RandHail). And as this is a beautiful song, why not.

It's just that when I think of dedications, I think of something more uplifting... this song is more about a situation than how to resolve it. Well, at least the recognition is there.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 09:53 PM
RTSS dedications are just fine!! It's one of the finest songs on this tour
Old 05-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #24
The Fly

Granted that RTSS is probably not the best tribute but it’s not a literal dedication. I think that Bono’s intro into the song is the key, where he acknowledges any service members in the audience, welcomes them, and basically states we haven’t forgotten you or your sacrifice without making ANY political statement. I have a good handle on what Bono’s political ideology is, his opinion on the war, and of the Bush administration and I think he demonstrates that subtly in “Bullet” but he segues nicely into the “tribute” with “Hands that Built America” and “Johnny comes Marching Home” snippets. The band is doing the best of what they can with the current setlist and several other songs already have “themes” attached to them and others are grossly inappropriate, like “Elevation” or “Sunday Bloody Sunday”.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #25
Refugee

I didn't read all the posts, but here's my take on it, RTSS is one of my top ten songs, and I can really relate to the song eventhough I've never had an drug addiction.

In a more general sense of the song I thing it talks about being in a situation you can't control, therefore the phrase "running to stand still", you know keep on moving before it get's to you, (and not in a literal way) anyway that's my interpretation of the song, great freaking song to listen to on a road trip makes you thinks about a lot of things
Old 05-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #26
The Fly

Local Time: 07:53 PM
would you rather the song be dedicated to the herorine addicts at the show?

imo the military is tied to the song, since they are stuck/powerless in a situation that something else (drugs/gov't) controls.

is the military presence is in Iraq changing much?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by locomosquito
Maybe... I interpreted it as Americans rushing in but making very little progress in the end, which is a far more political view than many of you seem to have thought. Hmm...
I agree with this one, it's what I thought the first time I heard that dedication, it seems a bit of an ironic song title if that isn't the case, doesn't it? I wanted to start up my own thread but thought I'd best leave it.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think many of you are on the right track, its about supporting people in a situation that they can't get out of easily. You can support the people without supporting their actions, ie. the war or drug use.

Quote:
I don't think that the significance of this occurrence is great enough to inspire Bono to dedicate the song to the troops. The current war isn't Vietnam.
If you don't think the current war is Vietnam, then you probably don't live with a Gulf War Vet. I'm the daughter of a Vietnam Vet and the wife of a Gulf War vet. My husband went over the Gulf as an energitic 18 yr old kid who wanted to serve and honor his country. When he inlisted there wasn't a war going on yet. He got trained just in time to go over to join the living hell that is war. They sent him home a grown man who is physically and emotionally broken. He may not be spit on in the streets, but he sure has been by our goverment along with alot of other Vets from many wars. Just, because you see things on the tv more now, doesn't mean that soilders receive any better treatment. Any sort of message of hope someone can give them is a good thing in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:20 AM   #29
The Fly

I...

Don't be so narrow-minded.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:55 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah someone else posted something awhile ago that I think added to the Vietnam theory. I think this was inspired by Bono talking to a Vietnam vet who told about his experience with severe drug addiction after the war, prompting Bono to come up w/ the BTBS-->RTSS combo. Seeing as we're in a war right now, the problems Vietnam vets faced are also faced by modern day soldiers, and they're doing the same BTBS-->RTSS transition, I guess he thought it was a good moment to show support for our troops. Sort of makes sense I guess