MERGED-->Paul McGuinness and Breaking News on U2.Com + Rollover dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is slightly encouraging, but what about all the people (like me) who used their code on crap tickets because they didn't want it to go to waste? I'm likely unable to attend a 3rd leg concert, so this is all I've got. Now to find that, had I only waited, I could have saved my code and used it for the new first leg nights? Why couldn't you say this before, Paul?

I'm not that angry, just disappointed that I spent a total of $140 for nosebleed seats when I didn't have to.

Why are people blaming U2 for ticketmasters problems which have always existed yes U2.com isnt a very good website and yes it probably should have been run better but the fact of the matter is it is really a ticketmaster problem when processing the tickets U2 shouldnt be really at all to blame other then over advertising the site and making gurentees that priority seating would be given. It may have been if Ticketmaster worked properly...but in my opinion the Ticketmaster website has always been a sham.

U2@NYC said:

See, this is more like my approach towards his statement. I sent another two faxes to both offices of Principle Management thanking them for the statement, but pointing out that this does not solve many of the issues that we complained about. It is a partial, mostly unfeasible solution for a problem that could easily be solved by making more pre-sale tickets available.

Come on, McGuinness, solve it and give us what we paid for.

McGuinness is a master businessman. He is turning a potential PR disaster into a way to hype tickets for the coming general sale. Its even possible they anticipated this response and always planned to use it to their advantage.

The 1st leg of Zootv was similar - they used the excess demand to hype the stadium tour in the summer. Of course even with the extremely limted ticket situation, Propganada still took care of the fans back then. That's what is missing this time. The end of Prop is truly a disaster for the diehard fans.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they only scheduled one garden show last year on the first leg as well... [sarcasm] amazingly [/sarcasm] a second show opened up once the first one sold out. i got blocked out of the first show, but managed to get tickets to the second. i've assumed the entire time that the same will happen this time.

Well, Headache, based on what I read from McGuiness' post in U2.com it seems that no additional MSG shows would be added for the first leg:

'We are sorry that presale tickets for the Madison Square
Garden show have sold out but it is the band's intention to play more
shows at Madison Square Garden in the Autumn.'

No mention of a potential second MSG show in this leg... just the fact that they will come back.

Johnovox said:

McGuinness is a master businessman. He is turning a potential PR disaster into a way to hype tickets for the coming general sale. Its even possible they anticipated this response and always planned to use it to their advantage.

The 1st leg of Zootv was similar - they used the excess demand to hype the stadium tour in the summer. Of course even with the extremely limted ticket situation, Propganada still took care of the fans back then. That's what is missing this time. The end of Prop is truly a disaster for the diehard fans.

True, however I think that this time he really has his hands full. Based on the articles that we are seeing posted in this forum, he is getting a lot of negative press (which, to me, is the most negative press I have seen for U2 since I got into them... and that is, 15 years ago). I think he underestimated how fans would react to this scam and now should do something to fix it.

I think that PR disaster is already there and I doubt that many fans will bite this bait. This, for some reason, makes me happy. I want U2.com, honestly, to go down the drain.

Ugh, leave it up to U2 to sort out confusion by releasing a completely ambiguous statement. McGuiness' statement did not clearly state any additional spring dates, just that the band would 'be back in the fall', which is vague as it is. As far as the 'apology' is considered, it's bullshit in my opinion. While there seemed to be moderate sympathy given to the unlucky NYC fans, his statement makes it seem as if every other city went smoothly. The tickets offered during the presale will be as easy to acquire during the actual onsale itself, the difference is there was an extra $40 thrown onto the presale tickets.

Mike

U2@NYC said:

Well, Headache, based on what I read from McGuiness' post in U2.com it seems that no additional MSG shows would be added for the first leg:

No mention of a potential second MSG show in this leg... just the fact that they will come back.

if there wasn't going to be another MSG show added, they wouldn't have mentioned "rollover dates" in the article about people not getting MSG tickets.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if there wasn't going to be another MSG show added, they wouldn't have mentioned "rollover dates" in the article about people not getting MSG tickets.

Well, if they decide to add another MSG show and not do a pre-sale on it my sense is that it would add insult to injury... and fans will go totally out of control.

I have to agree - my initial impression after reading that message is that U2 will not be adding dates to MSG to this leg. The article doesn`t specify *which* cities will be getting the rollover concerts, just that some will.

If NYC was getting additional dates, why didn`t Paul M. say there will be additional dates in the spring and fall to appease all the fans instead of just saying the autumn.

Very ambiguous indeed....I do hope they add some!

ladywithspinninghead said:
I have to agree - my initial impression after reading that message is that U2 will not be adding dates to MSG to this leg. The article doesn`t specify *which* cities will be getting the rollover concerts, just that some will.

If NYC was getting additional dates, why didn`t Paul M. say there will be additional dates in the spring and fall to appease all the fans instead of just saying the autumn.

Very ambiguous indeed....I do hope they add some!

They will add extra dates to every city on the first leg - including MSG. U2 love playing NY and will not do just one night there. Do not panic. It is dead cert as more than one show in Dublin. Besides, even if the worst happens you'll get 4 shows in the Autumn which is more than most countries in Europe.

apology

"Most people got their tickets" in North America!?

now that's a bunch of Bullsh*t

we all know that's not true.
I'd say hardly anyone did.. just look at the freakin' posts here.. and all of your friends.

how many people do you know that got GA to any show?
now compare that to last tour.

disappointed in this response.. if that's what you can call it.
lame.

if they don't announce that they're adding new shows than it looks better in the press...
"shows added due to high demand!"
"MSG show sells out so quickly that extra shows had to be added!"
"Paul McGuinness grows hair, U2 add extra MSG show!"

every act does it... u2, the stones, pearl jam, springsteen... it's simple marketing. the fact that they said there would be roll over dates is surprising in it's own right.

Last edited:
well, I'll agree with that (a lot more choices last time around)
but it was also a FAR better system and we were guaranteed tickets.

so point taken, still doesnt' change the circumstances..
I mean, I don't know ANYONE that got GA, that's ridiculous.

this press releases also acts like the only issue here was NYC,
that's just complete crap and disrespectful .. we all know NYC wasn't the only issue here.

doesn't even acknowledge that this is a disaster.. acting like all is well in North America, Europe was the only one with problems..
and damn, it sucks that they are smaller venues.. but it's the same places from the last tour.

they have a chance to redeem themselves with the extra dates, still hoping U2 does the right thing here, but running out of patience for a proper response.

thanks.

I'm so glad I didn't waste my code! I'm still trying on Saturday, though. I won't be happy with the band again until I get myself some tickets!

I don't think this is a good solution, but it is basically my second best scenario on ways U2 could have fixed this problem. (Best scenario being they open more tickets for the dates already announced.) I just wish the U2 camp seemed more genuine in their apology. :(

True there are fewer dates, but mainly because the SE was knocked from the first leg due to the illness. No Fl, Atlanta, Texas ect until the fall will create some added demand elsewhere, but there just are not that many people who are going to travel from Fl to say Boston or NY to see a concert. Some fans will, most won't. The demand in the NE is what it is and it is U2's fault for not anticipating it. They know who many u2.coN membershipts were sold in the states likely to be attending the NY show. Why the hell play the games with 1 "announced" date for NYC, when everyone know it will end up as 2-3 minimum. I guess I buy into the theory of this being intentional to build interest. Publicity of any kind is good, as long as you plan on taking care of whatever negative problems were created.

Last edited:
what a piss poor statement that was. this corporation is going to ignore the fact that almost all of their paid membership fans got shite seats for the shows. they are going to act like 'the high demand for tickets' made things difficult but everything is fine now....just like a bad PR person would do for a troubled company.

i'll be glad to play this game with them, for now on instread of supporting the band I always loved by purchasing their material, I'll be downloading stuff for free like a madman.

What comes around, goes around.

and I highly DOUBT your going to see a second MSG show (by that Autum comment he made) and ...

GOOD LUCK getting seats on Monday.

the lack of GA tickets is the big problem. McGuiness himself said these are the best seats, and then they don't put any of them in the presale for the fans that paid money in order to do so. I tried to get Chicago tickets. logged in at exactly 10am, got right to it and there were no GA seats. For EITHER show! None of my 4 friends trying got them either. I can only think this means that GA were not made available or only a hundred or so were made available. I'm pissed because I think McGuiness is thinking that because we're big fans that we'll be the ones to shell out the big money for the expensive reserved seats. Think again dumbass.

grant72 said:
and I highly DOUBT your going to see a second MSG show (by that Autum comment he made) and ...

GOOD LUCK getting seats on Monday.

Read his quote again:

He never says there won't be a second MSG show on this leg. He only mentions the fall leg as an alternative to the PRESALE tickets for the first leg.... meaning there won't be another MSG PRESALE until autumn. I'd be stunned if a second show isn't added before lunchtime Monday.

As for releasing more seats for the presale, I read somewhere that the amount of presale seats is a strict percentage regulated by TicketMaster (10% comes to mind, sorry I don't have the source).

He got me to shell out $170 per ticket for one show. That will be the only show I pay that kind of money. I was hoping to go to 3-4 shows if the GA shows were obtainable like they were through Prop. Sure don't look like that is happening w/ u2.coN.

U2WOJO said:
He got me to shell out $170 per ticket for one show. That will be the only show I pay that kind of money. I was hoping to go to 3-4 shows if the GA shows were obtainable like they were through Prop. Sure don't look like that is happening w/ u2.coN.

Same here........I'm hoping a second bay area show is added, but I won't be going unless I get GA......I can't afford another seating ticket.

cdparky said:

They will add extra dates to every city on the first leg - including MSG. U2 love playing NY and will not do just one night there. Do not panic. It is dead cert as more than one show in Dublin. Besides, even if the worst happens you'll get 4 shows in the Autumn which is more than most countries in Europe.

I hope you`re right but I`m not sure how much logic is involved in this. Toronto is the FOURTH largest city in NORTH AMERICA and yet they`re not playing there this leg (and yes, I know, they`ll play there on the third leg but you see my point...)

Headache - ahhhh, I hadn`t thought of it from a marketing perspective. Guess that`s why I work for the gov`t and not the private sector! haha!

hibricc said:

Read his quote again:

He never says there won't be a second MSG show on this leg. He only mentions the fall leg as an alternative to the PRESALE tickets for the first leg.... meaning there won't be another MSG PRESALE until autumn. I'd be stunned if a second show isn't added before lunchtime Monday.

As for releasing more seats for the presale, I read somewhere that the amount of presale seats is a strict percentage regulated by TicketMaster (10% comes to mind, sorry I don't have the source).

If they release a second show without letting U2.con members participate in the pre-sale, he will be significantly bashed.

But then again, McG and his troupe do not give anything about fans.

U2.com - Pre Sale Situation Update & Semi-Apology

Presale: More Information, More Shows

Thanks to everyone who took part in our first U2.Com ticket presale for the European and North American 'Vertigo Tour'.

We know that subscribers experienced difficulties buying their tickets and we're pleased that those problems are now being ironed out.

Most of you have now be able to book tickets for these shows and we appreciate your messages of thanks and support. Sorry that demand exceeded supply for Madison Square Garden NY and Wachovia Centre, Philadelphia shows. We went way over the original allocation.

We really appreciate your patience as this is the first time we've attempted an online presale. New technology ­ including U2.Com - helps us stay in touch with you but also reveals its drawbacks when everyone tries to do the same thing at once.

Don't forget, if you have a subscriber code it will still be honoured when the band plays more dates. There will be more tickets for U2.Com subscribers.

We are very aware that some people seem to have abused the system to scalp on Ebay or similar sites. We are currently looking into the possibility of identifying these people and withdrawing their tickets. Any help you can give us on this would be gratefully received.

Remember that your subscription to U2.Com gives you much more than access to the presale - not least the fact that you can watch on demand every video
the band have made and listen to every track on every album, every b-side on
every single!

Right now you can check the band taking you through 'How To Dismantle An
Atomic Bomb' track-by-track, watch the 'Making Of Vertigo' documentary, read the new Jacknife Lee profile and catch Phil Joanou's 'All Because of You' video ... there's lots more on the way.

Re: U2.com - Pre Sale Situation Update & Semi-Apology

ChangeTheTemperature said:
We are very aware that some people seem to have abused the system to scalp on Ebay or similar sites. We are currently looking into the possibility of identifying these people and withdrawing their tickets.

You don't have to look much further than Ticketmaster and their Broker friends in that case U2 dot com.

Re: U2.com - Pre Sale Situation Update & Semi-Apology

ChangeTheTemperature said:
Presale: More Information, More Shows

Don't forget, if you have a subscriber code it will still be honoured when the band plays more dates. There will be more tickets for U2.Com subscribers.

I can't even begin to list the amount of questions this statement brings up. They really need to do something about these vague statements...it's unbelievable. It's almost like they are trying to be cryptic. Why are they so afraid of SPECIFICS?

Most of you have now be able to book tickets for these shows and we appreciate your messages of thanks and support.
Yes, I thank and applaud you for my 300 level nosebleeds. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Sorry that demand exceeded supply for Madison Square Garden NY and Wachovia Centre, Philadelphia shows. We went way over the original allocation.
And...? Is that just a "Woops, my bad!" response?
We really appreciate your patience as this is the first time we've attempted an online presale. New technology ­ including U2.Com - helps us stay in touch with you but also reveals its drawbacks when everyone tries to do the same thing at once.
Yeah, who would have thought that thousands of fans would try to buy tickets at the same time? Oh yeah, everyone.
That's actually really good to hear. I already wasted mine on crap tickets, but for those that got shut out, this is nice. Good to know those codes aren't completely worthless now.
We are very aware that some people seem to have abused the system to scalp on Ebay or similar sites. We are currently looking into the possibility of identifying these people and withdrawing their tickets. Any help you can give us on this would be gratefully received.
Also some good news - I'm glad they are aware of the situation and seem to be taking some sort of action. Or at least claiming to.
Remember that your subscription to U2.Com gives you much more than access to the presale - not least the fact that you can watch on demand every video
the band have made and listen to every track on every album, every b-side on every single!
Oh yes, our $40 aren't wasted because now we can listen to every song online that we already own. Woohoo!

Well, it's not a perfect response, but encouraging words nonetheless. Better than Paul's lame response.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom