MERGED-->Patti Smith spat at Larry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukea

The Fly
Patti Smith spat at Larry?

Comments: Bono brings a girl on stage during Mysterious Ways, but when she doesn't dance he picks her up and gives her a piggy-back ride around the ellipse. Stuck In a Moment is dedicated to Michael Hutchence; it's the 8th anniversary of his death. Patti Smith joins the band for Instant Karma again tonight, but the concert comes to an abrupt end at the end of the song for reasons unknown. Some fans at the show say Smith looked like she was feeling ill on stage, others think they saw her spit at Larry during the final song.

I read some of the reviews on u2tours for last night's show and they mentioned that she was spitting on the audience during her set. Weird.

atikicat said:
I read some of the reviews on u2tours for last night's show and they mentioned that she was spitting on the audience during her set. Weird.

I was just reading reviews and I don't remember seeing anyone say that ... :huh:

What in the world? :huh:

Here's what Ally posted in the other thread:

i agree that the ending was abrupt. they were playing 'instant karma' with patti smith onstage, and it sounded great. then all of a sudden, bono grabs patti and they leave the stage. the rest of the band follows. we thought it was over, but then they all reappeared, did one more verse of 'instant karma', and then ended it for good.

Axver said:

I was just reading reviews and I don't remember seeing anyone say that ... :huh:
I only read a couple of the early fan reviews, but two of those mentioned her spitting:

hosive:
We are ready to plant ourselves on edge’s side when we think we see more daylight on Adam’s side. We’re wrong and find ourselves in a similar niche that we would’ve had on the left side of the stage. However, another good omen occurs when Patti smith unleashes a loogie(ptooie)into the audience during her set pretty darn close to where we would set up.

Dave:
Funny thing was Patti Smith kept on spitting when she was singing. Bad thing when your in the front row!

She spits a lot while singing -- I was there tonight and didn't see her spit at Larry.

She did, however, seem unstable -- she toppled to the ground once during her own set and seemed unsteady (drunk? sick?) during Instant Karma. Bono also had to keep prodding her to sing off the teleprompter.

I was there too... Patti needs a make-over.. she's a bit scary/long in the tooth... but would she spit on Larry? I don't think so. (save for the normal spit a singer/performer produces)

She loves him... maybe she was drunk, that would make more sense?? But who knows... truth is we'll never know so not sure it's worth speculating and getting people off sides/starting rumors.. whatever.

just my humble opinion

patti definitely spat a lot during both of her sets, but she never spat AT the audience. she was just spitting on the stage. i didn't see her do anything to larry, and i didn't notice that she was unwell either. but it was a very odd ending to the show... i am still confused as to why the left so quickly, and then why they came back on for one final verse. :confused:

i have to say that i enjoyed patti's sets immensely! she is an amazing performer- and definitely has that whole charisma thing down. i am a fan. :up:

btw, she sang the opening verse of "because the night" to a small stuffed gumby doll tonight... :lmao: i got a photo and will try to post it tomorrow.

I wonder if the plan was to have the entire crowd singing "We All Shine On..." over and over (like they do with "how long.." in "40") as the show ended? Maybe the crowd didn't quite pick up on it, and it fell flat. Sounds like Bono and Patti came back out, trying to restart it one more time, but it didn't quite work.

I wasn't there, so who knows... just a theory.

Something tells me Larry said something to the effect of "if she pulls that shit we are out of here.."

and she did, so Bono grabbed her.

I need more info - we need reviews from people in the front of the ellipse at the end of the show...

Controversy, drama, oh my...

you guys noticed that the U2.com setlist said they were supposed to close with 40, right?

*Ally* said:

i have to say that i enjoyed patti's sets immensely! she is an amazing performer- and definitely has that whole charisma thing down. i am a fan. :up:

btw, she sang the opening verse of "because the night" to a small stuffed gumby doll tonight... :lmao: i got a photo and will try to post it tomorrow.

:applaud:

yay another Patti Smith fan! see my post in NYC SetList III so far it's on the curent last page ?? 19 or 20

I've ben a fan sice her Private Lable "Piss Factory" single {pre- Horses} seen poissible more than I've ever seen The Who, Bruce or U2 {esp U2 since i became poor just before the AB era }.
Beacuse i started to see her right at the debut of Horses, and from then on.

ANd she played ALOT Locally nyc/near by NJ wjhen she weas coming out of ther faimily domocile in Detroit and afer she lost her ?first? her bro , THEN her husband within ?? 6 mons to 2 yrs....

I turned to my sib during Because the night.......when she pointed out the Gumby doll and I said.....that's what being a MOM does to you :lol:

she gave a VERY togther & Powerful set!!! I think she tripped possible as she was partly crouched down and possible stepping backwards and looks like she tripped over a ?? monitor?

as for a "make over"? she looks damn great....I kind of think it's powerful statement to see a woman Rocker -- serious rocker-- who INFLUENCED SO MANY later women rockers...SO many-- keeping her hair gray. SHe was never usually much into make -up.... and her out fit was just fine...............

saw patti support dylan way back.....she was...extrodinary....dylan was shit...(i love dylan more than beer)...she spat onto the stage all night......Larry was probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time....

Whereever she spit - that is simply disresepect.

You don't spit on someone else's property, or in someone else's home, and if I were in the band, I would consider a multi-million dollar LED laced custom built stage my property and home, at least while on the road.

Other singers don't spit.

And by the way, U2Tours has rescinded the line in which it said fans saw her spit at Larry.

Somethig is amiss...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

please feel free to explain before getting flamed for potentialy racist and/or ignorant comments...

how was that comment considered potentially racist?

Her set was amazing, however she did spit quite a bit. Maybe she is a llama? :hmm: She did spin and fall during her set, but it looked like she just lost her balance. She never missed a beat to her song.

The end of the show left me a bit dissapointed. It was strange that they just stopped. Patti's voice did not sound as strong as it did during her set, and Bono did help her offstage. I never left a show feeling confused until now......:eyebrow:

I agree... it was like we were all SO up and SO into it.. everyone was pumped and then BAM its over... and the lights came up and you're standing there like "seriously, that's it?" WTF :huh:

I can hardly really complain b/c this was my 13th Vertigo show... , so when I get puzzled about how/why we got jipped (blame patti blame patti blame patti) I'll just recall the opening line of OOTS and maybe that will make it all better

"Baby slow down, the end is not as fun as the start"

they should get drunk or high , before the gig and then play for 3 hours whatever they want : pop songs , b-sides , ole !

MrBrau1 said:

I havent seen many good singers who don't spit when they sing.

Exactly. Folks, Bono "spit" on me when I was on the rail last month. Honestly.

See, here's the thing that I think is causing the confusion here: When they said, "spit a lot during her set," they're not talking about clearing her throat and spitting out a nice 3-pound hunk of gooey mucus onto the stage or a fan. It's more along the lines of the "Say It, Don't Spray It" Phenomenon-----just a a little spray of spittle that comes out by accident when you may say or sing something. It's extraordinarily common among singers----MANY famous & good pop and Broadway singers "spit" a little when they sing. If you're close enough and catch the lighting the right way, you'll see that Bono occasionally does it, too.

Granted, I wasn't there at the show last night. However, I'd really be surprised if this little spittle thing wasn't all that was going on with Patti Smith. Whether she was drunk or otherwise chemically induced, and what may have ended things abruptly, I dunno.

i really think people are making a bigger deal than necessary about her spitting. she did not spit AT the audience, i can assure you of that (i was front row inside the ellipse on 11/21, and second row on adam's side on 11/22). yes, some people might think it's gross, but it's just who she is! i think she was fantastic- she is so much cooler than i could ever hope to be...

as for the rumors that she was drunk or unwell, i did not notice anything of the sort... considering that the showtime was purposely moved up an hour from the previous night, i think that cutting 'yahweh' and '40' might have had something more to do with U2 or with MSG. the show didn't end till 11:10, which is cutting it close if something had to be done by midnight (ie, getting to the airport and leaving the country)...

who knows. it was still a great show despite the odd ending. and patti rocks! :bow: :up:

Back
Top Bottom