MERGED-->Official Tour Info from Paul McG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Official Tour Info from Paul McG

From U2.com...

Tour To Kick off March, Tickets January
U2 will begin a ten month world tour on March 1st in the US, manager Paul McGuinness has told U2.Com.

The band are set to play 115 shows beginning in Florida in the Spring, reaching Europe in June, heading back to North America in the Autumn before finishing up in Japan and Australia in November and December.

In an interview with U2.Com, Paul McGuinness revealed that two different productions were underway for the tour as it would open indoors in the US and then play outdoors through the summer in Europe. ‘Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are already at work on designing the shows.’

Some dates and venues are still being finalized - no official announcement will be made until the New Year .

McGuinness said he had had no doubt that ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ was going to be one of the bands most popular records – not only is ‘Vertigo’ a worldwide hit but the advance orders for the new album outstripped those of ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’, which went on to sell more than 10m copies to date.

Still, on the day of the US release, there was no harm in judging first hand if the initial industry signs would be borne out by popular interest .

‘When we were on the truck making the video in New York, - which was a bit scary at times, with so many fans following us - it was the day of the American release, and you could tell as we passed the retailers that people were buying the record.’

At the end of filming, after the free concert under Brooklyn Bridge, McGuinness had a celebratory cocktail with Doug Morris, Chairman & CEO of Universal Music Group and Jimmy Iovine who heads up Interscope.

‘We thought we’d see how the album was going,’ he said. ‘So we popped down to Sam Goody’s music store by Radio City and when we went in, there was only one copy left – so I bought it!

‘They told us they’d been re-ordering it all day.’

Next the threesome walked down to Times Square to the Virgin store. ‘The racks were being filled and emptied as we watched – they were even selling imported vinyl copies.’

But all of this was no great surprise to the man who has been managing U2 for more than a quarter of a century – they do know how to kick off an album release in style. The free gig was a great idea he said, and the collaboration with iTunes on ‘Vertigo’ had reminded the public in no uncertain terms that U2 were back. That said - they take nothing for granted.

‘Every time a new record comes out, I say that we have to break the band again.’

As for the 2005 tour, he predicts it will be as exciting as ever – some of the new songs are just begging for live performance. While the exact tour itinerary should be announced in the New Year, with tickets on sale later in January, members of U2.Com will get a window of opportunity ahead of everyone else to buy tickets of their choice at every venue.

:shifty:

Thanks for this, I think...

Ok, the Brooklyn show was on Monday the 22nd, the CD went on sale on the 23rd. How exactly were people purchasing the CD that he could see them?

:coocoo:

I was at the Virgin Mega Store. Didn't see Paul...

Something's fishy...

:confused:

Last edited:
Official Statement Regarding Tour: Ticket Sales Not Until January

From U2.com...

Tour To Kick off March, Tickets January
U2 will begin a ten month world tour on March 1st in the US, manager Paul McGuinness has told U2.Com.

The band are set to play 115 shows beginning in Florida in the Spring, reaching Europe in June, heading back to North America in the Autumn before finishing up in Japan and Australia in November and December.

In an interview with U2.Com, Paul McGuinness revealed that two different productions were underway for the tour as it would open indoors in the US and then play outdoors through the summer in Europe. ‘Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are already at work on designing the shows.’

Some dates and venues are still being finalized - no official announcement will be made until the New Year .

McGuinness said he had had no doubt that ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ was going to be one of the bands most popular records – not only is ‘Vertigo’ a worldwide hit but the advance orders for the new album outstripped those of ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’, which went on to sell more than 10m copies to date.

Still, on the day of the US release, there was no harm in judging first hand if the initial industry signs would be borne out by popular interest .

‘When we were on the truck making the video in New York, - which was a bit scary at times, with so many fans following us - it was the day of the American release, and you could tell as we passed the retailers that people were buying the record.’

At the end of filming, after the free concert under Brooklyn Bridge, McGuinness had a celebratory cocktail with Doug Morris, Chairman & CEO of Universal Music Group and Jimmy Iovine who heads up Interscope.

‘We thought we’d see how the album was going,’ he said. ‘So we popped down to Sam Goody’s music store by Radio City and when we went in, there was only one copy left – so I bought it!

‘They told us they’d been re-ordering it all day.’

Next the threesome walked down to Times Square to the Virgin store. ‘The racks were being filled and emptied as we watched – they were even selling imported vinyl copies.’

But all of this was no great surprise to the man who has been managing U2 for more than a quarter of a century – they do know how to kick off an album release in style. The free gig was a great idea he said, and the collaboration with iTunes on ‘Vertigo’ had reminded the public in no uncertain terms that U2 were back. That said - they take nothing for granted.

‘Every time a new record comes out, I say that we have to break the band again.’

As for the 2005 tour, he predicts it will be as exciting as ever – some of the new songs are just begging for live performance. While the exact tour itinerary should be announced in the New Year, with tickets on sale later in January, members of U2.Com will get a window of opportunity ahead of everyone else to buy tickets of their choice at every venue.

Sorry, yes, meant to say show was on 22nd, CD didn't come out til the 23rd.

*coughliarcough*

Looks like I WILL be going to Europe this summer as I'd hoped to do. Looks like I won't have much of a choice. :huh:

I guess that means I can relax a bit for the next couple of weeks.
:yawn: - about the tour and tix, that is. Although there's this whole "Christmas" thing that I should be worrying about!

Amen to the idiotic posts.

And yay, I just noticed this

Was too busy being pissed at the blatant lies earlier in the release that I failed to notice that... But then again... What makes me think that this is true?

:hmm:

dear american friends,consider yourself lucky--i prefer Arena tours because the sounding is so much better than on stadiums; and fans are more close to the band-- on stadiums there's this huuuuge gap between,like they're gods or something.I don't like that.
byby:heart:

Officially updated news from U2.com/Paul McG

Tour To Kick off March, Tickets January...
U2 will begin a ten month world tour in the US on March 1st, manager Paul
McGuinness has told U2.Com.

The band are set to play 115 shows beginning in Florida in the Spring,
reaching Europe in June, heading back to North America in the Autumn before
finishing up in Japan and Australia in November and December.

Some dates and venues are still being finalized said McGuinness, and no
official announcement will be made until the New Year. But he confirmed that
fans who have taken out a subscription to U2.Com will definitely get a
heads-up on the general public - all U2.Com Members will get an opportunity to buy two tickets for an indoor show or four for an outdoor show before the tickets go on general sale.

Question

My question is how will they do this pre-sale?

Will they send out a letter like in the past asking for money orders and then you receive your tickets? Really not knowing what your getting. Or will they do something with the internet? Is ticketmaster that sophiscated to know everybody's membership codes? I certainly hope they don't give everyone the same code word " ie: vertigo" which then gets out to the general public and the pre-sale is done......

Does anybody know how Dave or PJ does? I would curious to know how their fan clubs work......

Thanks.

im not happy with this at all - one show per subscription....damn. i was hoping, against hope apparently, that it'd be similar to the Elevation Tour...2 shows per subscription .... oh well.

I don't see what the problem is. I mean, the Propaganda membership was just as costly (granted, a bit less, and though I LOVED receiving the mags over the years, you got one or two per year, TOPS!). I think it's great that they are honoring Prop. members and allowing them to get membership for 20.00 instead of 40.00 for the first year and that they are facilitating this pre-sale.

Back
Top Bottom