MERGED-->LOWER THE TICKET PRICES! + How does U2 justify these ticket prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to tone down my negative rhetoric for high ticket prices b/c we know some fans here get real sensitive so I'll try to say something positive about the high ticket prices. First the negative part I feel about the prices is that the current tour/ prices make(s) it harder for a fan to take a group of people to see a U2 show (of course demand plays a part). I like going in groups and taking people but lot of casual fans/ newbies to U2 aren't willing to shell out that kind of money. Even if I could pay for it, that would sink me in a deeper hole then paying for just my ticket and a ticket for a friend. I find that to be the sad thing about the high prices. U2 wants new fans or to strengthen their fanbase (as indicated by their actions outside of the pre-sales snafu) and fans like me who want to show casuals/ newbies the experience are left hamstrung with these prices.

Also, the whole "b/c Madonna, Elton John, the Stones, etc. are doing it so why can't U2 do it" isn't that great a reason as indicated. U2 tries to portray themselves as something different from the aging popsters or aging rockstars who appear to be in it for the money. You know the whole image thing. Higher ticket prices don't help promote that image, especially with the whole Africa spiel that Bono does.

As for a pro- high ticket prices response. I believe lower ticket prices by U2 would only mean demand for U2 would go through the roof moreso than now. U2 wouldn't be able satisfy every fan due to potential scarcity of tickets unless they increased the number of times they play to a whole lot more than what they are doing now. If tickets (good ones to boot) were hard to come by this first leg, I imagine they would be impossible to come by with prices being lower than what the market dictates right now.

I feel bad for European fans since the cost of their tix are lot a more and for a STADIUM show!!! Geez that sucks. People say the production values will be higher. How much higher, cuz I really doubt that the production will be that much better.

Last edited:
God almighty!! I can't believe the sheer nonsense of some of these comments. :|
I may or may not go to a concert in the fall, but I have no problem with the ticket prices. I won't go with scalpers, unless I win the lottery of course.
Or maybe I will, anyway! - Then it will still be worth it for me.
I live in the real world. I just started a new job. If I can't afford it this fall, I won't go.
Fuck how hard is it to understand.
No one owes you anything including U2.
Let it go.
This entitlement attitude is pathetic. :eyebrow:

My response is that I am going to half of the shows I did last tour (4 instead of 9) based strictly on 2 factors. GA's are affordable but the experience may or may not be what I was expecting when I purchased (because of the lottery) and I have no control over this, and secondly I don't think they are worth $185 after TM fees and buidling fees for lower level seats. To my wife and I, who met at a U2 show, have everything they ever released audio wise, have spent thousands and thousands over the years...they are not worth $400 for a 2 hour show (or $18 bucks a song) Because of the amount of shows we go to (large and small) behind the stage seats and upper deck seats are not worthwhile either.

I have been a U2 fan for 15 years, and have seen many shows, they have gotten to a point where I no longer am willing to rationalize and justify it.

100% my choice, but that is an example of what these prices are doing to me. I am going to 4, and perhaps more on the third leg..but it is to the point now where I am questioning it based strictly on money. I am sure I am not alone, and I have no problems with others that think its a deal. I would feel differently if the GA situation were different, but it isn't and it has changed my motivation.

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:
This entitlement attitude is pathetic. :eyebrow:

This comment is pathetic, when in my opinion there hasn't been a lot of an entitlement attitude in this particular post.

No one is saying U2 owes us anything. What I am saying is this show may or may not be worth the price that it costs. We are all adults making our own financial decisions, but that doesn't make us pathetic or seeking entitlement or from discussing an opinion that is very important to a lot of people. Most are trying to balance an insatiable love for this band with the need to make good money decisions, and those 2 often clash.

Last edited:
I'm not taking a shot at you 'cmb', but if money was a real issue then you probably wouldn't be going to 4 concerts.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice or rationalisation if you like, in that people will decide whether they can afford a concert based upon their ability to pay for it.

I'd be inclined to be more sympathetic to someone who couldn't afford to see U2 once, as opposed to someone who couldn't see them 9 times in one tour.

Like I said, I'm honestly not taking a shot at you, but I just don't think you have a particularly viable arguement there.

Hope the GA experience turns out to be a good for you tho!

:)

I am not asking for sympathy, but stating that their ticket prices are now for the first time affecting me. I made it happen on other tours, but it is now to the point, and just now where I am thinking twice. That's all I am saying. I am not saying that anyone doesn't have an argument either way, but it is affecting me.

I have seen the Vertigo Tour twice, and will see it twice more in Denver next week. I was lucky to pull up tickets to Vegas today, but I finally was priced out (not that I couldn't afford it..I can't really..but I never can..just make the sacrafice) but I said to myself when it totalled over $400.00 for 2 tickets that weren't that great..."you know what? this isn't worth it"

That's all. No sympathy, no argument, no rationalization. Just a comment. Everyone is free to make a choice that is in their best interest. Seeing multiple shows like I have for the past tours is no longer a priority because of the price and the lottery.

Last edited:
Hawkmoon04 said:
It was the wierdest thing. I was talking to Bono, we were just catching up for a while. Just when I was getting around to asking him to lower the prices
Damn Im sorry but I completely left Bono hanging on the other line and he eventually hung up. Sorry brother!

That's because I was on the other line!!

FREE CONCERTS FOR THE REST OF THE TOUR!! :hyper:

Just send $5.00 or the equalivant (address on Ican't/don't wannapay.com) from whatever country you are from and I'll tell you where.:wink:

Edited to say: Hope there isn't a Icant'tpayblahblah web site.. :yikes:

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
I am not asking for sympathy, but stating that their ticket prices are now for the first time affecting me. I made it happen on other tours, but it is now to the point, and just now where I am thinking twice.
Seeing multiple shows like I have for the past tours is no longer a priority because of the price and the lottery.

Congratulations, you realize you live in the real world!!! :up:
Pass it along :wink:

it's too late now, nothing is on sale, and nothing is available. I am getting naceous from reading what prices brokers will charge me for Vegas tkts. I need a dr. Dr. Bono, help.

I am convinced that the ticket price for a certain group or artist will go up as that artist (and their fans) age. Only the Stones and the Eagles have higher prices than U2. Avril Levine, Maroon 5 and the other newbies charge their young fans forty or fifty bucks a ticket. Just like U2 did 15 years back.
U2 knows their audience - they know how much we make, and they know how much we are willing to pay. Its called market research.

the olive said:
I am convinced that the ticket price for a certain group or artist will go up as that artist (and their fans) age. Only the Stones and the Eagles have higher prices than U2.

Eagles tix at the Pond and Staples this summer are $175/$85/$45/$25. Call it a wash.

As far as ticket prices, I think they're reasonable and in line with my expectations. The GA prices are a steal.

The fact that top seats are $350/pair did keep us from going to both shows in SJ (short wife won't do GA). But that's OK.

I figure the high prices now balance out all the POP shows I saw for $5-$10 back in the day. :lol:

Flying FuManchu said:
sue4u2... was I asking for an entitlement? I just mentioned the pro and cons to a U2 show. How is that sheer nonsense. I believe my criticisms were relevant.

No darling, you were not asking for an entitlement. And your point is well taken.

My sheer nonsense comment wasn't directed to you or anyone specifically.
I'm just going by the nature of this thread.
Thats all, love, just my opinion.:heart:

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think ticket prices are that bad. More or less, they're on par with other acts, and you know U2 is going to put on a much better show. I still respect that the best tickets, GA, are the most reasonably priced.

Lower ticket costs would skyrocket demand, and there already aren't enough tickets going around. It would be great if ticket prices could stay consistent, but that's just not realistic. Consider the price of gas and how much higher it is than in 2001. The equipment still has to get from show to show, though.

I was 18 when I saw Popmart, and I paid $52 for a nosebleed seat. I still remember driving through center city Philly and seeing the tip of the Popmart arch on the horizon. $52 was a fortune to me then, but the show was well worth every penny. I'm 8 years older now and have a better job, so I'm willing to spend the money to see several shows, because again I know it will be worth it.

Quite frankly, you can't put a price on what U2's music has meant to me in my lifetime, so if I'm paying $18 per song to go to a show, then so be it. Whether I'm in the front row of the bomb shelter or the back of the floor, I know I'm going to have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom