MERGED --> LIVE 8 setlist...so friggin predictable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tombola said:

Well, the Scissor Sisters played a new song.

they shouldn't use such events to promote or show new songs, IMO, it totally distracts the audience of what's imprtant: Africa

Tombola said:

Well, the Scissor Sisters played a new song.

And the crowd where I was totally lost interest. I think they'd been well received until that point (not really my kind of thing, but they were ok). One of the sunday papers (forget which one) had a moan about them playing a new song too...commented on how they lost the crowd.

The scissor sister only have 1 hit song. So it didn't really matter if they played an old song or new song, most of the crowd wouldn't have known it anyway, so might as well play a new song. I thought it sounded pretty good.

I have only 1 critic...

We've all read that report about beign Actually BONO and that writer (I don't remember his name) that came up with LIVE 8, not Geldof...
With that info I keep on wandering... WHY U2 DIDN'T CHANGED VIENNA's DATE TO FRIDAY OR SUNDAY?...

If they would've do that, U2 would have played after THE WHO, maybe even shared stage with them (Won't get fooled again?, anyone?), or somehow AFTER Pink Floyd (I think the only ones t being able not to be aver-shadowed by them)

And might've have played in the dark... and of so, they might've play Pride, Streets (with lights now) and One, or even the same set that they actually did.

I loved BD, Vertigo and One... but if Bono was behind this whole thing... couldn't they change Vienna's concert? :scratch:

discuss...

Also... who could've opened?... maybe U2 with BD then go to the back like Macca did... or maybe RW with Let Me Entertain You (the best act of the day IMO), or Coldplay a little longer with Clocks / In My Place, then Bitter Sweet and the the AMAZING :love: Fix You

Last edited:
pepokiss said:
I have only 1 critic...

We've all read that report about beign Actually BONO and that writer (I don't remember his name) that came up with LIVE 8, not Geldof...
With that info I keep on wandering... WHY U2 DIDN'T CHANGED VIENNA's DATE TO FRIDAY OR SUNDAY?...

If they would've do that, U2 would have played after THE WHO, maybe even shared stage with them (Won't get fooled again?, anyone?)
And might've have played in the dark... and of so, they might've play Pride, Streets (with lights now) and One, or even the same set that they actually did.

I loved BD, Vertigo and One... but if Bono was behind this whole thing... couldn't they change Vienna's concert? :scratch:

discuss...

Also... who could've opened?... maybe U2 with BD then go to the back like Macca did... or maybe RW with Let Me Entertain You (the best act of the day IMO), or Coldplay a little longer with Clocks / In My Place, then Bitter Sweet and the the AMAZING :love: Fix You
because they really do have a commitment to there fans, i know it was a good cause, but vienna had waited so long for their show

Geat to see that no other bands could live up to U2 that day. I know the songs wre predictable but at least they were`nt as predictable as Muppet Williams.

Nobody could match U2 that day. The closest thing Coldplay can get is by copying U2 on their speed of sound video.
Don`t know how some mislead people can say that Coldplay are the biggest band in the world.

Cheers

AtomicBono said:
Wow, so I just noticed you made this thread twice. Nice job, maybe if you make it a couple more times someone will finally agree with you. Repetition is the BEST way to get your point across!
hey retart if you noticed the 1st time I posted the topic I made a typo

I thought the setlist was perfectly fine for this type of concert. U2 should have stuck to some of their most mainstream and poignant songs and that's what they did. It wasn't the right event to play a B-side or a new song. I didn't think they were trying to outdo everyone else nor did they have to.

I thought U2 did a great job even if they weren't necessarily the best of the day. With Coldplay - I LOVED the Bittersweet Symphony with Richard Ashcroft, but overall I was a little disappointed in their set. Robbie Williams was fantastic but he had the advantage of his hometown crowd (it seems like he can do no wrong there :) and also had the audience singing half the songs for him.

antmccarthy said:
Geat to see that no other bands could live up to U2 that day. I know the songs wre predictable but at least they were`nt as predictable as Muppet Williams.

Nobody could match U2 that day. The closest thing Coldplay can get is by copying U2 on their speed of sound video.
Don`t know how some mislead people can say that Coldplay are the biggest band in the world.

Cheers

:up: :yes:, You're so right, I'm smiling all over. Keep up the good work!

I don't really know what was expected from the set they played. The only stupid choice was Vertigo, I think they could have chose better than that song. Beautiful Day and One were pretty good choices and speak for themselves. Instead of Vertigo they should have chose an 80's song, maybe I will Follow or Streets or Pride maybe, in fact Pride would have been an ironic choice as they were gonna play it at Live Aid 20 years ago but ran out of time. One had to be played cos its THE greatest song of ALL TIME from THE greatest ALBUM OF ALL TIME!:wink:

coldplay's set was pretty good... u2 was stronger, i think the energy during vertigo was probably the highest i have seen or heard so far. by the way, who is this robbie williams guy, he must be pretty big in the uk... not very well known in the states.

norsehorse23 said:
coldplay's set was pretty good... u2 was stronger, i think the energy during vertigo was probably the highest i have seen or heard so far. by the way, who is this robbie williams guy, he must be pretty big in the uk... not very well known in the states.

U2 were amazing - Im glad they kick started the day and I wouldnt have had their set any other way. I think if they'd have played crumbs they would have lost a lot of the audience like Scissor Sisters

And Robbie Williams is probably the most popular male artist is the UK. He used to be in one of the first big Boy bands 'Take That'. And yes he is totally loved over here (maybe a little too much) He sold out 3 days at Knebworth so easily. Hes a fantastic entertainer though - really does put on a good show!!!

Back
Top Bottom