MERGED-->Let's do something special for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well we need to get one or two ideas straight and spread the news because we don't have much time!!! i would just love to shock the band by doing something very unexpected. they would talk about it in interviews etc. it would just be awesome to be apart of. lighters of course, i doubt lightsticks (glowsticks) would work because not enough people would have them (not everyone going is a blue crack addict like us).

I liked Eliv8's idea about red/black balloons :)
Or else Thank You signs :)
Or glow sticks are good too :wink:
I will do whatever from my terrace seats, just tell me what to do! :hyper:

Funny how six weeks ago everyone was talking about suing the band, and now people are talking about making 300, 400, 500 signs saying "Thank you."

Funny how things change. And I'm all for it.

it has to be something cheap and easy.

a few people in the GA line would have to take charge. The balloon idea would be good because it wouldnt be too expensive to go buy 1000 balloons. so a few people in the ga line could go buy them and then pass them out and tell everybody exactly when you blow them up.

you cant expect everybody to go buy it for themselves because barely anybody in the ga line will be reading interference to get the idea, and second, people are lazy.

the person who buys the balloons can also ask for small donations as they pass them out to help cover the cost of them...

you could also try that with glowsticks, but buying that many could get costly....

Last edited:
No offense to anyone...but this thread is making my teeth heart.

Am I the only one that is reading this thinking these are very cheesy? I am not trying to hurt any one's feelings, but I am a LONG time U2 fan that would have very little interest in these ideas. I am not sure how popular they would be. Again, not trying to be a naysayer, but trying to give you some feedback that these aren't ideas that I think you would be able to pull of either because of complete lack of interest or other logistics.

I might be wrong, and I hope you prove me wrong. More power to those that want to show their appreciation. My appreciation will be shown by being completely killed in the heart, tears running down my face with some of my closest friends in the world that I only manage to see when U2 tours.

I don't need a glowstick to show my appreciation. I hope you all have a great time.

Chizip said:
but if you dont hold up a glow stick you will make bono sad :(

Right :eyebrow: And if I do he will think he somehow managed to end up at a Hillary Duff concert. Just curious...has everyone in this thread been to a U2 concert?

Last edited:
Chizip said:
but if you dont hold up a glow stick you will make bono sad :(

Wanna make Bono smile?

Why don't all you lot in the front drop your trousers, stick glowstick up your arses and bend over.

I think the warm glow of light that would emit from your assholes would light up Bono's face.....and the rest of us would have a laugh too.

I agree with cmb737 - this thread makes me wanna puke.

I love the band (in a non sexual way, of course) and they know YOU LOT love them too so leave it at that!

peace.

Chizip said:
it has to be something cheap and easy.

a few people in the GA line would have to take charge. The balloon idea would be good because it wouldnt be too expensive to go buy 1000 balloons. so a few people in the ga line could go buy them and then pass them out and tell everybody exactly when you blow them up.

you cant expect everybody to go buy it for themselves because barely anybody in the ga line will be reading interference to get the idea, and second, people are lazy.

the person who buys the balloons can also ask for small donations as they pass them out to help cover the cost of them...

you could also try that with glowsticks, but buying that many could get costly....

why don't you stop being a douchebag, you are always negative. if you don't like the ideas then don't post on this thread. i like the balloon idea, red, black, and white. but we need to have a bunch of people hanging them out to everyone in the arena before the show, that'll take a lot of people.

nuke126 said:

why don't you stop being a douchebag, you are always negative. if you don't like the ideas then don't post on this thread. i like the balloon idea, red, black, and white. but we need to have a bunch of people hanging them out to everyone in the arena before the show, that'll take a lot of people.

Are you sure you quoted the right post? It seemed he was being one of the positive people in this thread.:huh:

nuke126 said:
i'm really sorry, i did quote the wrong person. i meant to quote cmb737. sorry chizip

Sorry for offering constructive criticism, such as I don't think many people will do this so don't spend all your personal money on it. I am the douchebag, right...not the guy who suggested shoving a glowstick up your ass?! Read my post again, how many times did say I wasn't trying to offend and hoped to offer some perspective. Jesus, some people on this board are damn sensitive. Don't post an idea if you don't want differing points of view. I swear sometimes it is almost too hard to stomach U2 for its fans.

Half of the people on this board were ready to crucify them a month and a half ago, now we are blowing up balloons?

Right. Gloves off, these ideas are lame and juvenile. Save the glowsticks for Britney and Matchbox 20.

Here's an idea:

How about you save the money you are going to spend on glowsticks, copies, balloons and donate it to one of the many charities U2 supports in the name of the interference board. Give someone some fresh water instead of a lame concert gesture that chances are the band wouldn't notice or care about anyway. These are 25 year veteran rock stars who aren't going to shed tears over glowsticks...let alone talk about them in the media.

Last edited:
my point was if you feel that way about this topic, why the hell do you keep posting on this thread, leave it to people who want to do these things.

cmb737 said:

Here's an idea:

How about you save the money you are going to spend on glowsticks, copies, balloons and donate it to one of the many charities U2 supports in the name of the interference board. Give someone some fresh water instead of a lame concert gesture that chances are the band wouldn't notice or care about anyway. These are 25 year veteran rock stars who aren't going to shed tears over glowsticks...let alone talk about them in the media.

HOORAY!

Now that's what I call a good idea.
I like you cmb737.
(but can we still put the glow sticks...)

Freedom of speech - if we don't like a thread then we can still have our point of view!

I know what you mean about caertain types of U2 fans, cmb737 - they just haven't got a sense of humour and take themselves FAR TOO SERIOUSLY to the point of ridicule.

Do as cmb737 says and make a charitable gesture.

(The fact that I'm sticking up for you is probably doing you no favours ;) )

Feel what way? That the somewhat limited ideas aren't great? That perhaps there is something better, more effective, more personal? Excuse me for trying impart some of the observations that I have learned at over 30 U2 shows. Let me quote my earlier posts which show that I would like to express the same emotion, just not in these OVER done ways:

cmb737 said:
Regardless, I applaud your emotion.

cmb737 said:
I personally agree with the sentiment, just not the proposed gestures. That's all. I think it's a great idea to do something, but the plausability is rather limited and well...lighters?

cmb737 said:
I might be wrong, and I hope you prove me wrong. More power to those that want to show their appreciation.

My mistake, I didn't realize the title of this post was "Let's do something non-original, really expensive, unrealistic, and boring for U2"

Calling someone a douchebag is also a great way to make someone get your point. :eyebrow:

Way to go, keeping the spirit of U2. I am sure they would be proud, and thankful.

Last edited:
u2_england said:
(The fact that I'm sticking up for you is probably doing you no favours ;) )

I'll take it regardless, alternative points of view is something that is getting more and more rare here in the US. Thanks England.

Probably the best thing you could do for U2 is do something for yourself and have an incredible time. That is what their goal is after all. It's not a religion.

Last edited:
u2sangel said:
Here's an idea you could buy an African Well Fund t-shirt(all proceeds go to well building) and wear it to the show and the guys would see it and love it!!!!!!!

now thats a great idea!!:wink:

If we are going to invest our money in something, a charity such as this is more worthwhile!

cmb737 said:

No offense, but most U2 fans know when to sing 40. Happens quite spontaneously.

Yep,and it could be the most incredible moment of the concert. Especially when everyone's on the way out, an hour after 40 is sung, and the people in the halls and on the escalators start singing it again.

-Mike

U2Fanatic4ever said:

now thats a great idea!!:wink:

If we are going to invest our money in something, a charity such as this is more worthwhile!

Or you could donate to the Build a Well for Bono's Birthday campaign which is about to begin.

We are hoping that because the tour coincides with the campaign - this will be the best year yet.

Last year we raised $15,000! Which really speaks to the power of U2 fans coming together for a cause!

Each to their own, but glowsticks and balloons aren't very rock'n'roll are they!

I appreciate the sentiment, but for alot of people a U2 concert is a very communal AND a very personal event where individuals/freinds/partners can express themselves in the way that is, well, personal. Therefore I don't think there will be mass appeal for this (certainly in Europe - maybe it's a cultural thing?). Something spontanious on the other hand, like when so many lit up paper during 'One' at the 1st Slane concert was very poweful.

At one of the Earl's Court concert a group of fans that were at the front of the GA queue set up a mini-campaign (with flyers and stickers) asking everybody to 'hold up a light for Bono' during Kite. It's a lovely sentiment but like I said, people are capable of expressing themselves without being told to do so, and sometimes it's best to leave it for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom