MERGED-->Kids at shows question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay we played eannie meanie minney moe at the table tonight and my dad is going with me and my daughter to the concert. So anyone at Oakland 11/8 look for an old dude. a tall mommy, and a cute 6 year old on the floor. That will be us, people will probably think he is my husband and is robbing the cradle! He is more the Jimmy Buffett type so I have to make him a CD of U2. He decided he should go because we are going to ride BART and he wants us to be safe that late at night. Ahhh, he is such a good dad and grandpa. See you all in 2 weeks.:wink:

faithingrace: your child must be the same age as mine - he is nearly six, and grew up with ATYCLB - and the Boston DVD, especially. The woo-ooos from Elevation stood for wearing a beanie hat for a long time in our household.

he is a big fan, but I felt he was too young this summer for a tour still. But i promised him the next tour and I had to take a lot of pictures. It will be great to hear how the experience will be for all 3 of you.

enjoy!

Lila64 said:
Do the rest of the parents (and/or Aunts/Uncles) imagine what it's like to be in the ellipse with the possibility of Bono pulling your kid up or at least acknowledging him/her? I'm so excited :hyper: I hope it happens for us. Trying not to expect anything, as I'm sure we won't be the only Mother/Child at the show. :hyper:

Well I think we all feel you and your daughter deserve being pulled up....imagine the setlist party when we find out that that is happening..:lol: (we will probalby speculate about any kid that is pulled up if its maddy or not..)

two shots said:
faithingrace: your child must be the same age as mine - he is nearly six, and grew up with ATYCLB - and the Boston DVD, especially. The woo-ooos from Elevation stood for wearing a beanie hat for a long time in our household.

he is a big fan, but I felt he was too young this summer for a tour still. But i promised him the next tour and I had to take a lot of pictures. It will be great to hear how the experience will be for all 3 of you.

enjoy!

she was born in '99, and my hubby resembles Bono a little (coloring, etc.) and when we would watch the videos or DVD she thought it was Daddy on screen.:wink:

zooholland said:

Well I think we all feel you and your daughter deserve being pulled up....imagine the setlist party when we find out that that is happening..:lol: (we will probalby speculate about any kid that is pulled up if its maddy or not..)

thanks zooholland! I can only hope :yes:

Now, for a sign... :hmm: I'm not good with this - I just want a sign that will get acknowledged, not get me on stage (I don't want to dance, but would die for a hug!!!). My daughter thinks they are all corny. I probably won't even get around to making one... :shrug:

Lila64 said:

Now, for a sign... :hmm: I'm not good with this - I just want a sign that will get acknowledged, not get me on stage (I don't want to dance, but would die for a hug!!!). My daughter thinks they are all corny. I probably won't even get around to making one... :shrug:

Ask Miroslava....success guaranteed!!

zooholland said:

Ask Miroslava....success guaranteed!!

I did - LOL! But I fear I'm not as creative, or the ones I like, my daughter doesn't. And I can't post here for fear if I come up with a good one, someone will steal it!

It's not only in the sign, but also in the cheekiness in which one holds it... :lol:

And I did give you one suggestion, right? :shifty:

Funny story my dad told me today: Last week he stopped at the supermarket to get a donut and while he was checking out the bagger was complaining that he couldn't find a U2 ticket to Oakland under $160 for a nosebleed seat. Therefore he wasn't going to get to go, so my dad had to pipe up (with a big smile I'm sure), "I'm going." I think he is actually getting excited about going with me.:wink:

Re: Re: Kids at shows question

tryan101 said:

Kids are better off in the ellipse than out. More room, etc.

AMEN...took my 10 year old to Dallas and got in ellipse, she could literally do cartwheels if she wanted.

It was THE place for a kid to be. :)

A mommy too. ;)

The elipse is incredibly safe. My experience was fantastic.

Night 1 Boston - so much room to move around, in the back it was ridiculous. At one point - 15 feet in front of me and random people dancing through the open area.

Night 2 - I think they filled the elipse a bit tighter this night. Still, plenty of room to roam, or find the right area for you. Completely hanging back in the elipse is probably the best view of the show with the least work put in.

Observations:
a.) Everyone is pretty happy to be in the elipse and it seemed like 90% of people were helping each / protecting each other.

b.) Most people are nice enough to rotate in and out of certain areas if you are polite and ask them for a camera shot or real close look.

c.) The Elipse is probably the least dense area in the arena.

If you are on the floor, it's only really packed in the first 20 feet from the outside tip. After that, you start to find more comfortable areas where you have personal space and good angles for viewing. Anywhere 20 feet in front of the soundboard is open and you can roam around.

Hope that helps. And Please, have your child wear ear protection (hope I'm not preaching too much) but it's loud down there.

daveydave

Re: Re: Re: Kids at shows question

ree5669 said:
tryan101 said:

Kids are better off in the ellipse than out. More room, etc.

AMEN...took my 10 year old to Dallas and got in ellipse, she could literally do cartwheels if she wanted.

It was THE place for a kid to be. :)

A mommy too. ;)

Did you get beeped into the ellipse or did they put you there because of the child?

She is going to be wearing ear plugs, but thanks for the concern.

I just bought 2 pairs of earplugs, just in case. I wasn't going to use them, but I'll determine that on Wednesday. I think we should be okay without them on Tues. night in section 106.

and what faithingrace said - did the kid(s) scan in or automatically let in :hyper:

<<<Making signs tonite!!! :hyper:

Oh, and I'm a little bit excited, can you tell :hyper:

faithingrace said:
Lila64 I think your concert is before mine so I would like any feedback possible from you. Thanks.

Absolutely! I have this thread bookmarked :wink:

And if you have more questions after my show (GA on 11/2), then perhaps we can exchange email addys, IM addys or phone numbers.

:hyper:

faithingrace My friend ( I made at 11:00 in line) got beeped, there were 3 of us...Ofcourse I would not have left my daughter,but they let all 3 of us in...after all the 10 year old is technically a half ;)

SHE could have done cartwheels from excitement (has been exposed to u2 since inutero) and literally done them b/c there was so much room. We were in back by the steps he emerges from under the catwalk...he was right in front of us a TON of times. BOnus: we could see the front stage beautifully,

As far as "protecting" them, first of all there was no need to protect little ones, but all of the people around me from college kids to the pot passing fans, to the rest, ALL were looking out for her. Even this LSU football player said he'd pick her up for her to touch him if he came close. BTW the fans on the outside of the ellipse (oppsite the catwalk from me) got most of the love...they barely aknowledged us. It was fair though, we were inside and there seemed to be more distance from inner ellipse to catwalk than there was from catwalk to the outer barrier for fans outside it. Does that make sense?

When I have time I am going to chronicle the 1500 round trip from Bama to DAllas that was planned in 2 hours, without tickets. It all totally worked out...I am getting spoiled. I thought after NYC Brooklyn Bridge experience that nothing would ever live up to those expectations!!! I was so wrong.

I just wish I'd have felt more emotion during Streets. It wasn't the same energy I felt in the past...good, just not the same.

BTW:
I counted 8 kids inside ellipse, due to the fact my husband was a wreck when he found out we were in there. They were all fine. They just want to play with the confetti. :huh:

Last edited:
ree5669 said:
I am getting spoiled. I thought after NYC Brooklyn Bridge experience that nothing would ever live up to those expectations!!! I was so wrong.

I am so glad you had another awesome experience ree!!! :hyper:

RE: Brooklyn, I also thought the same, but this band just keeps on surprising me!

See you in Atlanta! :hug:

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing u again! I am in the process of trying to get Atlanta tix for Fri...I have Sat, but I am NOT going through the fiasco that I went through with the box offices I did in TX. It was TOTAL confusion!!!!!!!!! INSANITY.

I'd rather pay more to a broker instead of dealing with all the ups and downs of wondering minute to minute if I am getting "in".

Closer to time I will sent you my cell...I want to touch someone who has touched him!!!!!

It is getting close!:happy:
marieandelizabeth.jpg

"Baby's First Concert 10~29~05"

PS...she was disappointed that they didn't play Out of Control and Bad. That's my girl!!!!!

Last edited:
ree5669 said:
Yes, I am looking forward to seeing u again! I am in the process of trying to get Atlanta tix for Fri...I have Sat, but I am NOT going through the fiasco that I went through with the box offices I did in TX. It was TOTAL confusion!!!!!!!!! INSANITY.

I'd rather pay more to a broker instead of dealing with all the ups and downs of wondering minute to minute if I am getting "in".

Closer to time I will sent you my cell...I want to touch someone who has touched him!!!!!

It is getting close!:happy:
marieandelizabeth.jpg

"Baby's First Concert 10~29~05"

PS...she was disappointed that they didn't play Out of Control and Bad. That's my girl!!!!!

That's so cool! But... my question is - what if you hadn't scanned in. Did you sense that they would have let you in the ellipse with your daughter? We plan to get down there in the morning and line-up all day... PM me if you want :happy:

:cute:

And yes, we'll exchange numbers... and am I glad you posted that picture... I think I would have walked past you! Your hair is so different!

Looks great! :happy:

Lila64 said:

That's so cool! But... my question is - what if you hadn't scanned in. Did you sense that they would have let you in the ellipse with your daughter? We plan to get down there in the morning and line-up all day... PM me if you want :happy:

This is my million dollar question it seems. I wish somebody could answer it, I am dying to know.

When I PM'ed Lila64, I told her my observations:

There WERE a lot of kids there!!! That could mean they do let you through.

I could not really get a reliable conclusion though, b/c I do not know how many were elsewhere since I was there the whole time. It could be...just think: there are hundreds of people on the floor. There are a couple of hundred in the elipse. I know it would be strange for 10/200...to be kids...HOW many kids could be in the whole place...prob not too terribly many. It would stand to reason that it would be the safest for GA. It was very pleasant. I ramble.

Really, I am clueless. My daughter just loves U2 and wanted to go. We had a great time and it was all the better being there inside! :)

yes--10 y.o. ...she fell asleep in history yesterday. She does have one teacher who is young and thought it was totally cool...luckily, that was her class.!! :)
I am sure the other teachers think I am a bad mom dragging my daughter across the country for a weekend...

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom