MERGED--> Im a little worried about the performance of U2 + Underrehearsed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i honestly think people need to stop critiquing every single night or else u2 might decide to stop allowing bootlegs! if we keep doing this none of us will enjoy the shows because we'll be like they didn't do this as good as they did it on 3/28, etc :(

that being said i think opening night was superb for an opening night

Hearing them screw up is interesting, as it only happens rarley....and Bono always usurally says something funny...a few examples.

Walk On - 2nd Chicago Gig 2001 :
Edge's guitar isnt working properley for walk on
Bono : "Oohhhh Now ...Edge is having some bad luck...Ohhhhhhhh Now...Gotta put your foot on the swtich....ooooohhhhh Now, Im sure it gonna do the trick"

Sunday Bloody Sunday - East Rutherford II 2001:
Edge changes his guitar during the song

"The battles yet begun, theres many lost but tell me who has won.........Edge is changing his guitar...brothers children, mothers sisters torn appart"

Last edited:
The first few shows of popmart were the only ones that was just bad. i think with the exception of a song or two (fly and elvation opening night were very ragged) they have been very good. the beginning of elevation was good, and vertigo overall has been very good.

bono_man2002 said:
Sunday Bloody Sunday - East Rutherford II 2001:
Edge changes his guitar during the song

"The battles yet begun, theres many lost but tell me who has won.........Edge is changing his guitar...brothers children, mothers sisters torn appart"

:drool: :D. I agree. Seeing them messup is a rare opportunity. And c'mon....is it really THAT bad if he messes up a line. Are you really gonna lose sleep over it? Some people really expect too much of them and should just lighten up. Live a little....

The band is still getting their act together. There were a few very noticeable production glitches during Anaheim I with the juggling of the setlist. The next night was reportedly markedly better.

paultjr said:
Listening to bootlegs and actually being there are entirely different. Yeah, they will have some flaws here and there, but ask 99% of the fans at the gigs if they noticed or even cared.

:yes: :up: Totally agree with you!

Can't we fucking drop this shit already? :scream: Some people are just the whinest ingrates. We're lucky they didn't cancel the whole damn tour because of what's going on with their personal lives (yes, they do have other things to do besides cater to your every whim and desire) and people keep bitching and bitching! I'm pretty sure they had to work their asses off to get this damn tour off the ground and this is what they get....ridiculous.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Can't we fucking drop this shit already? :scream: Some people are just the whinest ingrates. We're lucky they didn't cancel the whole damn tour because of what's going on with their personal lives (yes, they do have other things to do besides cater to your every whim and desire) and people keep bitching and bitching! I'm pretty sure they had to work their asses off to get this damn tour off the ground and this is what they get....ridiculous.

A HUGE amen to that!

This is one thing that I actually hate about the internet era (yes I'm THAT old :wink: ). Too many people have too much time and too many opportunities to discuss the absolute minutae of every little thing U2 do. They ie U2 would not have the time or inclination I believe to discuss this stuff in the detail that these discussions do. Perhaps we need to distance ourselves a bit and stop focussing on these teeny weeny details.

PS U2 have been fucking up live for ever. I've got boots from the early 80s and guess what? They make mistakes. Croke Park 85 they MASSACRE Springsteen's "My Hometown"

Last edited:
An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Gloria, Electric Co., ZooStation, Running to Stand Still, 40, two different set openers, rebirth of Streets.... all in week ONE of the tour.

Sure, they may not be perfect performances but, neither were Popmart Sarajevo, Live Aid, or Red Rocks.

This is just ridiculous. Sure they do some mistakes (like in 40 - I laughed and thought it was funny). But it is bullshit that it is so bad that some people here thinks. I've listened to the three first shows, and they really play som great music these days.

xellente said:
agreed,

in addition, they were not just rehearsing music, but the stage show, lighting, a incredile feast on the eyes, like pop but less annoying, the are starting a social movement, trying to add deeper and deeper levels of meaning to everything they do. Plus spend more time with their families. Its how it shoulb be.

The were BOMB last night.

Kings of Leon were well rehearsed, had no techncal glitches, sounded perfect, and contributed absolutley nothing to the event.
I forgot they were even there.

peace

Thats b/c you weren't there for the Kings of Leon. If the Kings of Leon had glitches and were under-rehearsed you would call them utter crap (though I assume you think they do suck anyways).

beli said:
If the opening nights were musically flawless U2 would be accused of miming.

If the opening nights were musically flawed U2 would be accused of under rehearsing.

They really can't win this one.

LOL... If U2 were flawless, people would just focus on the setlist or give them praise. Be realistic... they would not be accused of miming.

Mr. BAW said:
If you want perfection, stay home and listen to the CD...

Under-rehearsed or not, you have the chance to listen to the greatest band of all time...worth the money? who knows, but you're assured of never hearing any lipsynched verses...

I wouldn't care if Bono hummed along, the opportunity of seeing these guys is far more important to me....

I am with you Mr. Baw. There are risks involved in seeing a live performance. We have to expect that there will be problems from here to there. To me, even with the imperfections, there is something special about seeing any band live. The performance is real and raw, and not edited like a studio CD. Live performances are special and should be treasured, since the opportunities don't come around often.

I'll take them for better or worse.

starsgoblue said:

OMG!!! U2 iZ SOOOOOOOOOOO AwzOme!!! I SOOOOOOOOOO LUv how BANO SiNgZ Hi & THen Lo. Eedge IZZZ SOOOOOO cOOLIo, YO!!!!!

The reason that it is easy for U2 and especially Bono to be pointed out as making a few minor mistakes is that you can actually understand what Bono is saying....unlike many other bands today where they might have a good melody but you cant really understand them...ala Radiohead where if Thom Yorke let go a 2 hour long fart people would say it was genious because thats just what the fanbase expects.

Who puts on a better live show in the end for us and many other people around the world we all agree nobody, I expect the shows to get better and better and certainly didnt expect them to be perfect at this early stage.

I understand little mistakes that can occur musically or production issues. Guitar strings break or mic goes out, etc. Shit happens. There are nice little mistakes such as the Edge not ending the Beautiful Day riff (during the Boston DVD) on time with the band which didn't sound bad at all and crap mistakes such as bum notes/ chords or forgetten lyrics. U2 has been making crap mistakes and for nearly 25% of the set. That's not good especially if the music is minimalistic.

Mistakes at a show SHOULD be few and far between. No one going to a show and expects the songs to come out exactly the same live as on the album PRODUCTION-wise but that stuff can ruin the mood. Example- 40 is supposed to be a somewhat serious song and the CLOSER but to hear Bono's voice sound off and them restarting kills the mood. However, it was a nice humorous thing. I mean would you want to play songs to people who aren't U2 fans filled with mistakes that even they can pick out? My ears aren't that good in terms of picking stuff out but damn even I could hear the screw ups.

Back
Top Bottom