MERGED ----> GA's or reserved seats? Which is better and why? + Do You Guys Like GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuala

War Child
lookin' to fill that God-shaped hole.....
GA's or reserved seats? Which is better and why?

I was wondering if you guys could help me. I have GA tickets to Hawaii but have been offered reserved seat tickets in exchange for them by a friend. She has no preference whether she goes GA or reserved so she is giving me the choice. I don't know what to do! I have never been GA to such a large concert before. I am stuck between wanting to go GA to see how close I can get to the stage but also I can see that seats would be good since it is bound to be a fairly long concert with 3 bands playing. This is going to be the first time I see U2 in concert and I want to make the right choice. Any advice would be appreciated. :(

GA:

sleep outside, meet people, be exhausted, but if you get to the golden circle, you'll be happier than anybody else

yeah, what pepokiss said. The experience before the show is part of what makes it so cool. There is nothing like being 5 feet from the stage and hearing the crowd roar and the lads are within arms reach playing....

I got GAs for Hawaii. It will be our first ever stadium show for any band. I figured I'd rather have a straight-on view that's not 1/2 mile from the stage. We're not going to put in a lot of effort to be up close because I've done that before and I'd rather be able to see the whole thing for the spectacle that it is. I'm sticking with GA because then you can move around and usually squeeze into the first several rows if you want to check out that view.

If you're going the GA route...do it with friends. I did GA by myself, and the people by me in line weren't interested in being chatty. I quietly stood by myself in the cold all day. Once inside, I secured my spot and knew there would be no way I could leave that spot because I'd never get it back. I didn't eat or drink anything all day, to make sure I wouldn't have to use the bathroom.

If you don't have friends to be with or can't line up early...you might as well get a reserved seat. Much less stress and hassle. Granted, I'm glad I was able to experience GA...it was awesome to be so close to the band at times and really down in the thick of it.

Bonochick said:
If you're going the GA route...do it with friends. I did GA by myself, and the people by me in line weren't interested in being chatty. I quietly stood by myself in the cold all day. Once inside, I secured my spot and knew there would be no way I could leave that spot because I'd never get it back. I didn't eat or drink anything all day, to make sure I wouldn't have to use the bathroom.

If you don't have friends to be with or can't line up early...you might as well get a reserved seat. Much less stress and hassle. Granted, I'm glad I was able to experience GA...it was awesome to be so close to the band at times and really down in the thick of it.

Good point. Although, I have had luck doing the GA route alone in NYC. I got in and there was a spot along the rail and the people there were really nice and we held each other's spots.

friends? Another reason I'm a member of the zootopia and interference. I have made so many friends thru Interference that I'm set.

But it does suck, if you don't have anyone to hold your place.

You have to be prepared!

$49.50 GA. vs. $165 for a decent reserved seat, I'll take the GA. You can always sit on the floor or lean against a railing.

Don't forget that you'll be competing against something like 5000 other people who want to be close to see the band. U2 fans are generally very good about being nice to people and this Honolulu show will be loaded with genuine fans, but it can be a little tight in a GA crowd.
The other thing is...How tall are you? If you don't get within a few rows of the stage, it can be tough to see over everyone from the field. I'm tall, but my wife is shorter and so when we've had GAs we try to stand at the very back of the GA area and get a really good, straight-on view of the stage.
As far as meeting people, the GA line is fun for that, but it is just as fun hanging around the reserved waiting line, too. It's not as long of wait, but I've talked to plenty of cool people everywhere outside a U2 show. Not to mention in the reserved seats around you as well. Sure, during Popmart Sydney I had my concert shirt stolen by the jerks behind me, but you meet people from all over the US and the world in the GA line AND in the reserved seats.

Mark

SEATS ALL THE WAY!!
unless ur taller than 6' 6" GA is cool!
I always seem to get crushed in the melee......plus I hate sweatin' it with strangerz....it kreeps me tha fuk out.....:wink:

i'd rather chill in a seat and have the freedom to get some alcamahol when i can.....:drool:

I see your point americangoth. I being 5'9 should have no problem and I will be happy to stand behind my shorter GA buddies. If you are with a group of die-hards GA is the way to go. But if you want to chillax have your space and get:drunk: A good pricy seat will be cool beans.

americangoth said:
SEATS ALL THE WAY!!
unless ur taller than 6' 6" GA is cool!
I always seem to get crushed in the melee......plus I hate sweatin' it with strangerz....it kreeps me tha fuk out.....:wink:

i'd rather chill in a seat and have the freedom to get some alcamahol when i can.....:drool:

alcamahol...good one, I like that :wink:

Seats are :up: but ya gotta experience a GA! THIS is gonna be THE show at which to do so! Experience of a Lifetime in Paradise. Life can't get any better :wink: :drool: :drool: :drool:

hey C1230!
yeah seats are the best choice......
trust me....
i have been to over 700 shows around the world (including PINK FLOYD IN 1994 - the show which has now been immortalised on the newly released PULSE dvd...what a gem :D), seen about maybe 10 of those while standing in a moshpit

the worst one was SLAYER back in 1997.........holy hell!!!

as for U2 in hawaii......*sigh*.........u lucky people u.....
i wish i was there but ehh, that's life i s'pose

anyway i am catching them in sydney and melbourne, am looking forward to the melbourne gig more than sydney although i know syd's crowd will be insanely huge (77-80k approx)

my brisbane A RESERVE ticket is being sold to one lucky bugger on this site: MAGS....:D sorry mate, couldn't help it :p

I wonder how the security @ TESLTRA STADIUM/DOME will handle patrons leaving the stadium.....the numbers are so big (specially SYDNEY) i can't get my mind around it......

I recall I was at a Bryan Adams concert in Dubai in 1996, there were 47,000 fans in a footy stadium - anyway security was very tight, and very co-ordinated- everyone in A/B/C/D reserves got to wear a color code necklace or wristband (picking one was the patron's choice) - acocrding to the color of the item it would tell security what time the person could leave the stadium at the end of the show (this was done to avoid chaos & madness), so everyone exited in an orderly fashion.

the last time i saw a show with over 70,000 people was METALLICA in 2004.

TOOL was in 2002 - that had 88,000 in the stadium
i couldnt go back to my hotel until 8 am the next day and (nearly) missed my flight back to Melbourne.

basically i've had an all round evil :evil: experience with GA's......and also the fact that I'm a sucker for merchandise ( I collect oodles of s**t you wouldn't believe!!!)......so carting that around.... in the GA section is a bit of a pain.......
before you say "CLOAK ROOM" :D ***DING DING*** :wink: certain stadiums don't have these

and oh yeah I have seen concerts in the following countries:
Hong Kong, Canada, UK, USA, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai & India.

Carek1230 said:
alcamahol...good one, I like that

Last edited:
You've been to every band but KISS , my favorite band besides U2, Kiss puts on the best show on earth and no one could doubt that! Everyone knows a KISS song!

KISS - SHOUT IT OUT LOUD :D

you're kidding me right???
which self respecting rock fan doesn't know about KISS!!!
seen em in 2002, it wasnt that impressive. I thought they were all that........was i wrong!!!
i have seen better shows i can tell you the top 5 shows I've seen - SO FAR (and the year I saw them in) that were way better.........they are:

1) SANTANA (2003)
2) VAN HALEN (1997)
3) EAGLES (2004)
4) SPRINGSTEEN + E STREET (2003) &
5) PRINCE (2003)

all their shows outdid KISS......

as for naming a few kiss tracks........BETH, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD, I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU, GIN & JUICE.......:wink: u get tha point? :D

let's hope U2 can kick all their collective a**es, cos I am seriously looking forward to their tour.

tpsglick2424 said:
You've been to every band but KISS , my favorite band besides U2, Kiss puts on the best show on earth and no one could doubt that! Everyone knows a KISS song!

Last edited:
Personally I'd go GA every time.

I've done a front rail which was awesome, but youve got to put up with the crush.

Seating was a better view by far, but the atmosphere lacked, and the people sitting round me winged about my jumping up and down.

Normally I just get GA and go anywhere, and don't worry too much about getting as close as poss.. that way you can wander around and do what you want.

Miringeltje said:
Where does it say that?

I was browsing around and it was on ticket master... I see in videos/pictures that the GA is split into 2 baracades, the outside of the baracades and the inside...I guess the outside of it means grass??

Re: KISS - SHOUT IT OUT LOUD :D

americangoth said:
you're kidding me right???
which self respecting rock fan doesn't know about KISS!!!
seen em in 2002, it wasnt that impressive. I thought they were all that........was i wrong!!!
i have seen better shows i can tell you the top 5 shows I've seen - SO FAR (and the year I saw them in) that were way better.........they are:

1) SANTANA (2003)
2) VAN HALEN (1997)
3) EAGLES (2004)
4) SPRINGSTEEN + E STREET (2003) &
5) PRINCE (2003)

all their shows outdid KISS......

as for naming a few kiss tracks........BETH, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD, I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU, GIN & JUICE.......:wink: u get tha point? :D

let's hope U2 can kick all their collective a**es, cos I am seriously looking forward to their tour.

You just saw them when they were breaking apart and the original drummer wasnt there..:wink:

You had to see them when they all got back together in 1996, i saw them a few times then..:wink: They came back with only 3 originals in 2003 and 2 originals in 2004, i saw them on those tours too..Gene Simmons can make a $ out of anything! They were great on the 2003 tour with aerosmith..:yes: ... If only they got back together...How didnt you like the bombs exploding every minute? Ace frehley's smoking guitar? the levitation drum riser, etc??

1)Kiss (1996)
2) Rolling Stones x2 indoor and outdoor (2005/2006)
3) Aerosmith (2003)
4)Bon Jovi (2006)
5)U2 (1992)

and many more..:wink: :drool:

look at my avatar! Ace Frehley!

Do you guys like GA?

Does anyone prefer having GA over seating on the ground floor? Id rather have seats on the ground rather than running for your life and claiming a spot that you have to be in for like 7 hours and being squished. Why did you think this outdoor tour u2 decided to have GA instead of seats on the ground like they did for some popmart shows?:eyebrow:

Because U2 always had GA?
It's a lot more exciting to be at the front, then to pay lots of $$$ for shitty seats that claim to be close to the stage.

Re: Re: KISS - SHOUT IT OUT LOUD :D

you've seen AERO & BJ?? :ohmy:
now im officially jealous of you :p :wink:
these lazy bastards haven't toured Australia (in their entire career so far - i am talking of HEADLINING TOURS......not ourdoor festivals -i do know BJ played RUMBA, but that doesn't count!!).

I decided long ago if a band won't make the effort to tour here. I will stop buying their albums/merch....give them a taste of their own medicine.......it serves the buggers right. They can go turn others in to suckers, but I won't stoop to their level.
Case in point : DEF LEPPARD.........they've snubbed australasia since 1995, so I stopped buying their crap altogether.

as for U2, how was their 92' show......i bet it mustve rocked, being the ACTHUNG tour and all.
..that's their best album...

as for KISS, yeah criss da cat was missin, but not many people were bother'd 'bout that........they just wanted to see simmons spew bloooooood :D

tpsglick2424 said:

1)Kiss (1996)
2) Rolling Stones x2 indoor and outdoor (2005/2006)
3) Aerosmith (2003)
4)Bon Jovi (2006)
5)U2 (1992)

Last edited:
Oh to add to my list (if you want to count it) I saw Poison open for kiss in 2004..My dad brought me to Zoo TV (this is before i liked them) and I loved it, I loved the show and the band, and that is when I got into U2, I also saw them recently also at the 2005 indoors, they were good but not as good as 1992..Since you live in Melbourne didn't you hear about the KISS symphony thing? It was suppose to be great and huge concert in Melbourne but on the DVD I thought I was that good having a great rock band live with a symphony..

Mr. Blu & I sprung the jack for GA's at Charlotte back in December. :drool: We hung out all day with some really cool folks and got a little wet when it started to rain in the evening, all so we could get in the venue ahead of most of the crowd but it was sooo worth it! :yes: Even considering the little cold I got the next day. I'd do it again in a heartbeat even if I was guarranteed to get pneumonia!

It was the single.best.show. I've ever experienced & I don't think we'll ever go back to seats for a U2 show. :rockon: :rockon:

Gotta say, perspectives change when your on the floor versus in the seats. I've learned to appreciate both ie the light show you cant really see on the floor if ur near the elipse, though it's really great from the seats. If given a choice between the two, then it still would be GA for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom