MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a long time fan, from the very beginning of U2, and I hope that people who have never even seen U2 live, or who just picked up their first U2 cd get the chance to be right up close like that. We all began somewhere, and everybody deserves that chance.

Axver said:
Personally, I'd wait from 6am if I had to, but I'm coming all the way from Australia so I'd like some time to look around Boston and see a little more of the city than the Fleet Centre and my hotel. And this lottery, it seems, will allow me to do that. I think it's a fantastic idea and I am appalled by the selfishness and leaps of logic some people have made on this thread.

Totally agree - I'm travelling from the UK to Boston & then NY for the first time. I'd love to be right down the front and I'd queue if I had to, but I really want to see some of these cities while I'm there. Besides, I'm happy just to have some GA tickets. With or without being in the oval/egg, these are still the best tickets to have.

I love how some people think they can determine who is a "casual fan" and who is more dedicated, etc. Is it some sort of competition?:huh: Maybe U2.com should have had a diagnostic exam to determine what type of fan someone is and stamped the results on the membership card. I still love U2 but honestly I don't love much of the crap, for lack of a better word, associated w/ them.

Honestly the sense of entitlement of some fans (not specifically anyone in this thread, just in general) that they have to be closest to U2 all the time or the show's not worth going to, etc. is amazing to me-is that true, would people not go at all if they aren't guaranteed to be by camping out, or if there was no GA? I believe those few fans in Boston who protested, that everyone panned here (rightfully so, I was against that too), had a sense of entitlement like that.

People should take the lottery idea up w/ U2, because I believe it was their idea. I'd be very interested to see what their response would be.

innominata8 said:
i think people need to put things in perspective: all of us who have GA tickets ARE GOING TO SEE U2. we all know of many people who weren't fortunate enough to get tickets at all, as well as many others who are either behind the stage or in the nosebleeds (and in many of these later cases, paid far more than the standard GA price). it may not be everyone's ideal situtation, but i don't think we should be up in arms.

:up:

STING2 said:

Those asking to have the regular first come first serve rules in place instead of the lottery are no more selfish than those that would prefer a lottery system that would allow them to visit x and y.

Exactly, so neither is wrong or right. What is the point of this thread!!?? :lol:

It comes down the band and their managements decision. Last tour they caught some flack because they didnt have a universal system for the floor. It was up to the local venue and some of them handled it VERY poorly. Some didnt. So U2 "MAY" be coming up with their own to alleviate that and make things a bit safer for certain shows and people still freak out. Its like the setlist, it doesnt matter what they play, people are disappointed, pissed off, etc. regardless. I see this situation as the same. :shrug:

For those of you complaining about not being able to get a good spot on the floor because of the lottery, consider a couple things:

1) There will be maybe 500-700 GA ticket holders waiting outside the venues at the time they draw the numbers. 400 people will get in the pit. The chances of getting in are pretty good.

2) If you don't get in the pit, you will still be able to get within the first 2 rows on the outer rail.

This lottery system will be a good thing. Those "line nazis" were huge losers anyway.

I was a bit reactionary before. I apologize for that. I didn't mean to attack anyone personally, if it seemed that way. We should probably wait to see what happens tomorrow before we go too far.

That said...does anyone else think this random numbers thing is going to be absolute chaos? People are going to be arriving in groups of bigger than two and be outraged they can't stand together. People will be faced with tough decisions on who to take into the heart. There might be fights. People might be selling their pass into the heart if they are there alone. You might have under the table deal. I think if you want to do a lottery you should have everyone draw numbers and everyone say 234-634 gets in the egg if the number 234 is drawn. How is that not fair? The random numbers part of the rumor makes no sense to me. Anyone with thoughts on this?

My thoughts:

* if you get into the heart - have fun

* if you don't get into the heart - have fun

* if you are separated from your mates - have fun

* if you are sitting way up the back - have fun

It's a concert - have fun or go home. :)

I'm in a minority and bought GA for a3 shows but...

They did this for the Vote for Change Boss- REM- ect show in Cleveland. They handed out bands from 4 different employees, random numbers each bunch. (we had lined up like Elevation). They randonly picked a number and that number was #1. The next 300 got in the "egg", the 301st number became #1 after that. In 30 or so minutes they had lined everyone up by # and we were let in. There were 600 GA's lined up before the cut off so no one had a bad sopt. Bruce's people handled the lineup not the Gund.

I was lucky and will admit I was looking forward to the bonding with other fans, but I can still do that. But it will be great to look around, maybe hit the RRHOF and check into my hotel that day and not pay for another night.

Maybe they should go by who has the oldest record on cassette? LOL.

I can only say that if all these 'hard core' fans are this pissy in an online forum, I can't imagine that they'd be any fun to hang out with after being in line for 15 hours. I'd rather have a happy yuppy next to me than a cranky stanky danky 18 year old who thinks they've got their arms wrapped around the world.

I just don't think that the true die hards would ever have some of the negative attitudes I see and read on these boards.

One more thought: Don't expect, suggest.

The lottery system gives everyone a fair shot, and personally I think the band is doing all fans a favor by implementing this system. I personally would like to check out the sights at some of cities I'll be travelling to instead of sitting out in the sub zero temperatures at some of those early winter gigs for hours on end to get into the show and be completely spent even before the first song is played. I'm as strong as the next guy, but at some point, common sense has to kick in with some of these General Admission freakazoids who think that they have to be touching the stage at every venue.

Last edited:
I'm not a GA freakazoid. Just someone who didn't have GA the last time around and would like to have that experience at least once.

That being said, I am just happy to be seeing them period. So whatever happens will happen....I just hope I get a good spot at at least one of the shows I"m going to.

Last edited:
beli said:
My thoughts:

Fuckin' right doggie! :rockon:

That said, I still hate the lottery system. Pretty sure I was banking on my status as an insanely obsessed fan who would be willing to numb my bum for 10 hours in heat, cold, rain, or snow to get into that fucking egg.

:grumpy:

Last edited:
beli said:
My thoughts:

Soooo, you're telling us to have fun no matter what? What kind of crazy talk is that? ;)

I'm still against this entire lottery system, but in the end, it's not the end of the world and it IS a U2 show, so I'll have fun no matter what. (Unless there are dead people by me in the oval - then I'll have to crack some heads. :wink: )

O.k. after much reading I have come to accept both arguements for and against the lottery system for GA tickets(I still hate it for purchasing tickets). I guess it does make sense considering many fans are travelling long distances for these shows and are actually revolving holidays around them. For these fans(myself included) it seems fair. We're dedicated enough to travel why should we have to wait hours or even dys in line also? Though I also feel that there's somthing to be said for first come first serve. Either way I'm not gonna knock this idea anymore becasue I think everyone makes fairly good points on the issue.

Contingency plan - if there are dead people in the oval please report to the Security Guard and then make your way in a timely but orderly fashion to the nearest exit.

Thank you :wink:

starsgoblue said:
I'm not a GA freakazoid. Just someone who didn't have GA the last time around and would like to have that experience at least once.

That being said, I am just happy to be seeing them period. So whatever happens will happen....I just hope I get a good spot at at least one of the shows I"m going to.

I'm in the same situation, I didn't have GA during Elevation, but do this time. Because of tight windows on travel times it will be highly unlikely that I will get in line early in the day. I would argue that my time travelling hours TO a show is just as valuable as someone standing in line for hours FOR a show. The lottery gives the guy in line and the guy in the car the same chance at getting in, which is great. Both fans are just as 'die hard' because they are both going to great lengths to see the band. Also, I will be at Buffalo and don't want to spend 10 hours in a blizzard, again, the lottery solves a big problem.

I don't see what the big hype about the 'GA line experience' is. When I bought GA tickets, that was the only factor I wasn't looking forward to - being stuck in some boring line for hours on uncomfortable pavement. I'm hoping this lottery means that we won't have to go through that silliness.

Axver said:
I don't see what the big hype about the 'GA line experience' is. When I bought GA tickets, that was the only factor I wasn't looking forward to - being stuck in some boring line for hours on uncomfortable pavement. I'm hoping this lottery means that we won't have to go through that silliness.

It won't. At least not if you care where your spot is. This system isn't going to get rid of the line. First, not everyone will get in the "egg". So everyone else will still have to be lined up, and since you won't know if you're one of the random people who got into the egg until later, everyone will have to stay lined up. And then once you know you're in the egg, people will still want to line up to get in front in the egg. It might make the line a little less crazy, but there's still going to be a line.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

It won't. At least not if you care where your spot is. This system isn't going to get rid of the line. First, not everyone will get in the "egg". So everyone else will still have to be lined up, and since you won't know if you're one of the random people who got into the egg until later, everyone will have to stay lined up. And then once you know you're in the egg, people will still want to line up to get in front in the egg. It might make the line a little less crazy, but there's still going to be a line.

Not necessarily. If you're let in in order of the number on your wristband AFTER the chosen egg people, then there's no need for much of a line - you're already guaranteed to be, say, #1 after the 400 for the egg go in. Whether they make everyone do that or not, I guess we'll find out.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

(Unless there are dead people by me in the oval - then I'll have to crack some heads. :wink: )

You got that even without the lottery system. At the 5-16-01 Chicago show that heart was half full of VIP's and not people that camped out all day. They were more interested in getting more beer and being seen than they were what was happening on stage.

Axver said:
When I bought GA tickets, that was the only factor I wasn't looking forward to - being stuck in some boring line for hours on uncomfortable pavement. I'm hoping this lottery means that we won't have to go through that silliness.

It's not boring and it's not 'silliness' either. I met some GREAT people that way, and some of them I'm still in touch with today and others I ran into a few months ago at a U2 gathering and it was amazing to see them again! For example, my best friend and I met somebody who posts here at a show in England, and then to run into her 4 years later out of the blue was great. The lineups were mostly fun, people with guitars, people singing, people baked cookies with Elevation signs on them, worked together on signs to take into the arena, had lunch, etc. I met some great people in London and had an absolutely fabulous time.

The GA lineup is a great way to interact with people, make friendships, etc. Later, it was so easy to get bootlegs, trade stuff and so on.

Personally, I'm going to miss this A LOT.

anitram said:

It's not boring and it's not 'silliness' either. I met some GREAT people that way, and some of them I'm still in touch with today and others I ran into a few months ago at a U2 gathering and it was amazing to see them again! For example, my best friend and I met somebody who posts here at a show in England, and then to run into her 4 years later out of the blue was great. The lineups were mostly fun, people with guitars, people singing, people baked cookies with Elevation signs on them, worked together on signs to take into the arena, had lunch, etc. I met some great people in London and had an absolutely fabulous time.

The GA lineup is a great way to interact with people, make friendships, etc. Later, it was so easy to get bootlegs, trade stuff and so on.

You hit it RIGHT on the head anitram.

Axver said:

Not necessarily. If you're let in in order of the number on your wristband AFTER the chosen egg people, then there's no need for much of a line - you're already guaranteed to be, say, #1 after the 400 for the egg go in. Whether they make everyone do that or not, I guess we'll find out.

Ah, that's a good point. Wouldn't there still be a need for an "egg" line, though? lol. Who knows at this point? I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow...

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

You got that even without the lottery system. At the 5-16-01 Chicago show that heart was half full of VIP's and not people that camped out all day. They were more interested in getting more beer and being seen than they were what was happening on stage.

There ought to be a quiz fans should have to take for admission into the LINE for GA. :shame:

(I'm kidding, of course. Kind of. :shh: )

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

There ought to be a quiz fans should have to take for admission into the LINE for GA. :shame:

(I'm kidding, of course. Kind of. :shh: )

Oooh, ask Arun about this.

(See - I met him 4 years ago and I STILL remember the exact conversation we had. And his MIT t-shirt. Sigh.)

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
For me, this isn't about who's "hardcore" and who isn't. I realize that getting there earlier than everyone else doesn't make you a bigger fan. I also understand that some people do have obligations they can't get out of and it's not necessarily a matter of "planning ahead." So my issue with this isn't that I think I'm a bigger fan than everyone else, so I deserve to be up front. My issue is that I just think first-come, first-served is by far the most fair way to do this. It works this way for so many things in life, and I don't quite understand why this should be any different. When you get in line to buy groceries, if you got there first, you go first. It's not determined by random lottery. Why? It's not because they want their groceries more or they're hungrier. It's because people recognize that the most fair way to do it is to allow the person who got there first to have first priority. It doesn't matter if you had work or school or you had to visit your aunt. You get there first, you go first. That's just how it works.

In fact, I think in most situations, people would be righteously pissed if a lottery was used to determine who got to go first. For example, are people really this in love with the ticketmaster system of handing out lottery numbers to people who got to the outlets before tickets go onsale, regardless of when they got there? If you got there a half hour early and someone who showed up a 5 minutes before tickets went onsale got to go before you, wouldn't you think that was unfair?

On the bright side, this really does help people who simply can't be there early. I'd agree with whoever said that if you can't get there early, don't get GA, but it is nice that people who otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to be up front do have one now. Nice...just not fair.

Honestly, I'm not going to spend too much time fretting about this. The band has the right to run this however they want, and put in perspective, this isn't that big of a deal. And, really, I think most spots on the floor are going to be pretty good. But that doesn't change the fact that I really don't like this system.

:yes: I totally agree with your post. Personally, had I known about this system ahead of time I would have tried for lowers, but it's too late now. Just hoping for the best and wishing this info had been released before ticket sales.

anitram said:

I love the GA line, it's so much fun and a great way to meet new people. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying it :|

Lottery or not, from what I was told tonight at Chile's there's already over 50 people on the GA line here in SD. (Guess who # 1 is).

Back
Top Bottom