MERGED --> GA Line...Camp Out or Wristbands? + For fans with experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Super_Fan said:
Once again Lottery will cause CHAOS. How can you do a lottery at 5 p.m. You would have to do a Lottery earlier in the day. So that means since you are waiting in line you might as well stay in line. This would cause CONFUSION. Lottery is for Trouble Makers and I think that this topic should be closed!!!

The topic discussed here it not only lottery, it's a general discussion about how best to handle the GA line. This is a very relevant discussion, and you can be sure it will come back over and over again in the next few months.

If there is a lottery, it will be because U2 decided so, and there is not much we will be able to do about it anyways. Fans have not, will now and cannot decide to do a lottery. Numbers, yes, but lottery wouldn't fly with the majority or the local security.

And I'll repeat it again, numbers do not mean you are not waiting in line all day, it's just a way to make sure everyone is in the right order and no one cheats.

The best thing is not to discuss GA Lottery thats all I am saying its best for us all to not bring this up until the tour has started you all agree with that?

oceane said:

The topic discussed here it not only lottery, it's a general discussion about how best to handle the GA line. This is a very relevant discussion, and you can be sure it will come back over and over again in the next few months.

If there is a lottery, it will be because U2 decided so, and there is not much we will be able to do about it anyways. Fans have not, will now and cannot decide to do a lottery. Numbers, yes, but lottery wouldn't fly with the majority or the local security.

And I'll repeat it again, numbers do not mean you are not waiting in line all day, it's just a way to make sure everyone is in the right order and no one cheats.

By the way were you at the last U2 show on the Elevation tour in Miami???

No, I wasn't. The last Elevation show I saw was Dallas during the 3rd leg. Did things go really bad?

That's funny I was in Miami & Dallas (3rd leg) and didn't think there were any problems on the line.

In Miami I thought even the whole transfer of the line from the parking lot across the street to the venue worked out pretty well.

The only funny part was in Miami at the very end when the venue people forced everyone into two single file lines and asked everyone to grab a hold of the rail, like we were all two year's old in a fire drill.:|

(Although to be fair I think some people towards the back of the line in Miami might have been acting like two year olds when they started pushing forward, causing the venue people to do what they did)

One thing was for sure though, cutting was not tolerated on either of those lines as far I as I could see. I saw more than one person shouted down on the Miami line for trying to meet up with someone without having spent the day there.

For the first MSG show on the Elevation Tour, I got to the line at about 4pm. i ended up about 10 feet from the outer tip of the heart, right up against the barricade - which in my opinion was much better than being against the barricade at the front of the heart right beneath bono's mic stand (a position i held in houston after 15+ hours of waiting).

James U2 said:
For the first MSG show on the Elevation Tour, I got to the line at about 4pm. i ended up about 10 feet from the outer tip of the heart, right up against the barricade - which in my opinion was much better than being against the barricade at the front of the heart right beneath bono's mic stand (a position i held in houston after 15+ hours of waiting).

James U2 - did you feel a little squashed there? If you were with someone else, were you able to leave and get back to your spot without any hassle?

fmattyh said:

Get in line and wait your turn. That's the way things have always worked; no reason to change it now.

Exactly. This shouldn't be rocket science.

I don't care if you've seen U2 257 times, have two of Bono's fingernails, and can sing all of The Joshua Tree backwards...if you get there after me, you get in line behind me. By the same token, if I'm behind you and you think your kidneys might be shutting down because you've had to go to the bathroom for so long, I'll gladly hold your place in line. If you give me a bottle of water, I'll give you one of my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We can all get along.

Hopefully things don't get ridiculous. I'm looking forward to meeting people in line and hopefully making some new U2 friends.

Well said

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Exactly. This shouldn't be rocket science.

I don't care if you've seen U2 257 times, have two of Bono's fingernails, and can sing all of The Joshua Tree backwards...if you get there after me, you get in line behind me. By the same token, if I'm behind you and you think your kidneys might be shutting down because you've had to go to the bathroom for so long, I'll gladly hold your place in line. If you give me a bottle of water, I'll give you one of my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We can all get along.

Hopefully things don't get ridiculous. I'm looking forward to meeting people in line and hopefully making some new U2 friends.

:up:

ramblin rose said:
That's funny I was in Miami & Dallas (3rd leg) and didn't think there were any problems on the line.

In Miami I thought even the whole transfer of the line from the parking lot across the street to the venue worked out pretty well.

The only funny part was in Miami at the very end when the venue people forced everyone into two single file lines and asked everyone to grab a hold of the rail, like we were all two year's old in a fire drill.:|

(Although to be fair I think some people towards the back of the line in Miami might have been acting like two year olds when they started pushing forward, causing the venue people to do what they did)

One thing was for sure though, cutting was not tolerated on either of those lines as far I as I could see. I saw more than one person shouted down on the Miami line for trying to meet up with someone without having spent the day there.

I was in Miami near the front of the line #20 something. It was ran well even though they did delay one line the even #'s and the odd numbers got held back for like 15 to 20 seconds.

Super_Fan said:

I was in Miami near the front of the line #20 something. It was ran well even though they did delay one line the even #'s and the odd numbers got held back for like 15 to 20 seconds.

I was like # 120 something. I remember when they split the line even and odd #'s then one of the lines (I don't remember which) had a super thorough guard patting you down while the other line had a lax one. It was really annoying.

I think it should be first come first serve, its really the only fair thing to do it.

I hereby nominate myself to the line bitch. I will fly to every single Vertigo show and run the line. I am impartial, I think everyone should be behind me. Please see my paypal sight to start donating to the "Colin Runs the Line" Campaign, which will subsidize your will.

I will also need all your extra tickets.

Contributions are tax deductable, of course.

When it comes right down to it, standing in line is all that makes sense. Yes, there will be people that cut... Yes there will be people that come and go while other stay the whole time afraid to leave their place in line...It will not be a perfect system...but a lottery would be a horrible system unless EVERYONE was somehow alerted beforehand...the time and place to be...also, not really as simple as it seems...like for me I am bringing my son...if he were to get number 54 and I get 212...wouldn't we have to be separated or would i get to go with him and cut in front of 150 people or would he have to go with me and loose his place in line?? And if I claim I am with him then why couldn't others do the same thus making the lottery numbers practically void anyway...So waiting in line and trying to be as honest with each other in not holding a place in line for 10 people...it will all work out...

For fans with experience...

If I want a nice Pitch stand, how long do I have to stand in line before the show?
I realise I can't bump up 30 minutes before, but I don't have to sleep outside, or do I?

I'm speaking of Dublin btw.

Re: For fans with experience...

God Part III said:
If I want a nice Pitch stand, how long do I have to stand in line before the show?
I realise I can't bump up 30 minutes before, but I don't have to sleep outside, or do I?

I'm speaking of Dublin btw.

I'm going to be outside Croke park no later than 6am.

From my experience at the Vote for Change tour, where I got very, very lucky, the lottery isn't totally random. Everyone gets numbers based on when they arrived, so the first person in line is #1, and the second person is #2, etc. Then all of the numbers are put in a hat and a number is drawn. That person becomes #1 and everyone else lines up behind them in the numbers that they have. The only people that could possibly be split up is if you are the last person to get in the pit area.

I got lucky at the show in that we arrived at 4pm and ended up getting to be among the first 100 people in the pit. With U2 I don't want to leave it up to luck though so I really hope that they don't do a lottery. If they do then that is fine, but not announcing it in advance would be unfair after people spent all night/day in line.

Back
Top Bottom