MERGED --> GA Line...Camp Out or Wristbands? + For fans with experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
these people who think they should have a lottery system for GA seats remind me of the type of parents who want to make sure "every kid makes the all star team" so "no one is left out" and has to feel bad.

It's bad for little Johnny confidence if he gets cut from the soccer team even though he just took a Penalty Kick and it ended up being a 'throw in' for the other team.

So calm down before you threaten violence to fellow U2 fans who, for the most part, are only there to have a good time like yourself. [/B]

There's a big difference between violence against U2 fans, and violence against the ones who choose to anoint themselves the organizers of the damn GA line.

And when I say violent things, it just means protest, Im not going to risk an assault charge and miss the show altogether lol. But if some annoying bimbo or dipshit thinks they're going to run the line scheme without any "permission" (for lack of a better word) from the venue or band, then I'm not going to listen to anything they say and I shouldnt have to.

Wow..I have GA for the first time...heck..this is my first U2 concert. I want a great experience. I'm a little nervous. I paid through the nose for GA tix because I want to be close. I've never ever been closer than balcony to any concert.

So my questions are---
1- does anyone know about Boston/Fleet Center GA? What was that line like.
2- I was planning on queueing up at 6-7am. Is that too early?

Thanks all.

bonosleftone

I disagree with you, but it is certainly your right to protest or not comply to a system that is not 100% official. My experience during Elevation was that the non-official, fan-run numbering system was accepted by the vast majority, and that most people in the line were happy there was such a system. It's just less stressful and more fair for everyone.

I don't know what's so wrong with spontaneous, accepted self-organization. I agree with you that if people set this up and then do not treat everyone the same way it's a problem and they should not get away with it.

For most GA lines during Elevation, this system was widely accepted as the best we had, and anyone saying they didn't care or would not follow would not only have to argue with a few people at the front, but with the entire GA line... so watch out. No way you were getting in line without a number.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with threatening violence. Let's say that you're there with one friend, and the first 15 people in line are all friends. let's say 6 of them don't even show up until like 1pm (they plan on alternating hotel sleep-in for the next show). How are two people going to make that many conspirators listen to any kind of "fairness" argument? It probably isn't their first time and they have some kind of entitlement issue.

What you need to do is get there early enough to be able to count (roughly) EVERYONE in front of you (let's face it, if you're like 150 in line you better hope the people before you have been vigilant). Ask to see a list. Ask to see everyone's hand or number. If there are enough people missing, start raising hell. Be LOUD. If the M.I.A.'s aren't back within a reasonable time, tell the head person you're going to start fucking things up. DEMAND that new numbers be issued. Throw stuff at them. Try to grab their marker, notebook, or stamp away

Don't let these little Nazis take control again. I have heard MANY stories about this happening. Just because things went smoothly at YOUR Elevation show doesn't mean it didn't happen somewhere else. You shouldn't be afraid to threaten people, because these self-proclaimed V.I.P.'s are afraid to do anything physical and get booted by security.

laz

Sicy said:
lol @ jammin. I dont remember seeing anyone drinking in line. If I remember correctly there were a few security people lingering around all day. But I'm sure it wouldnt be too difficult to do.

I think there were beer tents at Philly!? Am I imagining that?

I think they should do it Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory style - hand out chocolate bars with fucking golden tickets inside

Diemen said:
I really don't see what the big deal with first come, first serve is. If you don't want to wait, fine, don't wait. You could still probably get yourself fairly close on the floor. If however, you want to show up at 5am and camp out in hopes of getting that spot right in front of Edge, then more power to ya. Some people are willing to go to extremes that others aren't in order to get a good spot at a concert. They should be able to do that. I hold absolutely no grudge or ill will to those with the time, patience, and fortitude to camp out overnight repeatedly. If being front and center means that much to you, who am I to say anything?

Just as long as I get a decent spot as well. :D

Diemen...question! Did you ever have this name but in a different way on aol im?

U2Girl1978 said:

Is it really necessary to swear? There are kids on here ya know!:huh:

Want some cheese?

more_natural_cheese.jpg

If you are so against fucking swearing, fucking tell the admin to institute a swearing ban.

what do they do in Europe? They have lots of GA concerts over there. Do they just line up at 6 am or midnight the day before? Those of us have no desire to sit on the pavement will probably just get seats, but it would be nice to have a choice other than having to sit outside for hours and hours.

U2girl, nope, never had any Diemen-ish name on AIM.

As for the GA lottery, the only way I'd accept it is if it were announced prior to ticket sales. But I seriously doubt that's gonna fly now anyway. As for a numbering system, I'm quite frankly not that concerned about it either, and I can see lazarus' and bonosleftone's points. There is BOUND to be favoritism involved (unless we manage to persuade one of the diehards who is at the show alone to do it).

But you know what? Even then I'm not too concerned about it. I don't mind a couple people here and there getting ahead of me if they haven't waited as long. I'm not there to get absolute front and center. If I'm in line by 10am, I don't doubt I'll be able to get into the heart/oval/interior GA with ease, and frankly I don't really care what my position is inside there, as if it's anything like the last go around there'll be plenty of room to move close to the front or hang in back once I'm in.

However I think it'd be a nice idea for someone to perform a count every hour or so just to see how many people are in line and give everyone a general idea of where they are. Both times I was in GA lines they were like that and the result was a pretty easy going and calm crowd (except for the brief moments of mass screaming at cutters towards door time).

I really don't see why everyone is getting so wound up about this though.

•If you got GA tickets and are hoping to get close, be prepared to wait, simple as that.
•If you can't wait in line all day, then don't expect to be up front, simple as that.
•If you got in line early, don't be so concerned about placement in line that we have to have a strict numbering system in place. You'll get in and you'll be close (simple as that).

I think as only 10% of every concert was presales then that 10% should be in the middle, let the rest fight it out to the death................

I waited from 10 PM til 10 AM (under plastic in pouring rain all night) for tickets to a concert once (not U2) and was the 4th person in line. I'd say 98% of the people didn't show up til the sun came up. Some arena worker comes out and says we have to pick numbers! Luckily my friend and I weren't too far back - we got #17 and #24, but a guy we knew who was probably 50th in line got #364! That really blows when you've waited all night and then they do a lottery. Too bad they don't let you know ahead of time (how I don't know...online?...crazy I know). I have GA for Chicago 5/9 and plan on getting in the oval - but I'm REALLY not looking forward to waiting all night and looking and feeling like an old hag...but it's what I want to do b/c I love U2 so much.

Now I'm getting worried - I'm hoping being in the uk we'll just have queuing seeing as it's almost a national sport :) I've taken three of my precious days off to see them and am planning on being there as early in the day as possible. If they do a lottery I'll cry :sad:

lazarus said:
I don't see a problem with threatening violence. Let's say that you're there with one friend, and the first 15 people in line are all friends. let's say 6 of them don't even show up until like 1pm (they plan on alternating hotel sleep-in for the next show). How are two people going to make that many conspirators listen to any kind of "fairness" argument? It probably isn't their first time and they have some kind of entitlement issue.

What you need to do is get there early enough to be able to count (roughly) EVERYONE in front of you (let's face it, if you're like 150 in line you better hope the people before you have been vigilant). Ask to see a list. Ask to see everyone's hand or number. If there are enough people missing, start raising hell. Be LOUD. If the M.I.A.'s aren't back within a reasonable time, tell the head person you're going to start fucking things up. DEMAND that new numbers be issued. Throw stuff at them. Try to grab their marker, notebook, or stamp away

Don't let these little Nazis take control again. I have heard MANY stories about this happening. Just because things went smoothly at YOUR Elevation show doesn't mean it didn't happen somewhere else. You shouldn't be afraid to threaten people, because these self-proclaimed V.I.P.'s are afraid to do anything physical and get booted by security.

laz

I don't know about violence, but I agree with you no one should accept that kind of bullshit if it happens. And I don't doubt it DID happen during Elevation, but I never witnessed it myself because I never got there the night before (waste of time IMO), and was never anywhere under the 50th in line or so. My experience is that is was an efficient system for the most part, although I agree some of these self-appointed leaders (btw it was not the same people at every show, although they might have belonged to the same group) were quite anal about the whole thing and it was annoying.

All I'm saying is don't threaten just anyone trying to set-up a numbering system, because it was widely accepted an efficient during most Elevation shows for most of the GA line (maybe not the first 20-30 numbers). I COMPLETELY agree that if you are among the first people there, and you notice there is just about 5 people in line but you're given number 30 or something, you should make a lot of noise and tell everyone in the line that the little bosses are using the system to their own benefit, and that people shouldn't accept that.

Anyways, to those of you who haven't been to a U2 GA line before, don't let this thread stress you out too much. GA is mostly fair and a lot of fun, and I'm sure it will be this time around too.

I agree with oceane and would simply add that cronyism among the first 20 people in line is _hardly_ the biggest problem in a GA line. The big problem is the _many_ random people who show up at 5:30 and try to cut in line. The numbering system gives you a system that allows you to kick those losers out. If there was no way to do that in an organized fashion, all hell would break loose because people would figure out that hte line didn't mean anything.

As someone who was in the heart twice but never at the very front of the line, I'm personally quite grateful to those who come with markers and a notebook: rejecting their system in favor of no system seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ok I think that we should stop talking about GA Lottery for a Long Time. My solution if someone bitches they get a Hello nametag sticker that says Bitch of the Line!:lol:

Lets get this straight. I think the purpose for the thread was to see what different fans might prefer this time around. I think we all agree that it would be best if U2 decides a procedure for the tour and manages it. In this case, U2 could do one of the following:

1. Clearly communicate their intention to allow for a first come first serve line.
2. Clearly communicate their intention to do some sort of lottery.

My preference is for #2 above. In this case, no one is waiting over night and being surprised by a lottery the night of the show because the procedure is communicated upfront. I understand others prefer #1, but I am just indicating my preference. Now in the absence of U2 or the promoter/venue clearly communicating anything in advance, then I agree that a fan run, hopefully orderly first come, first serve line is best as opposed to any fan run lottery. There.

Once again Lottery will cause CHAOS. How can you do a lottery at 5 p.m. You would have to do a Lottery earlier in the day. So that means since you are waiting in line you might as well stay in line. This would cause CONFUSION. Lottery is for Trouble Makers and I think that this topic should be closed!!!

Super_Fan said:
Once again Lottery will cause CHAOS. How can you do a lottery at 5 p.m. You would have to do a Lottery earlier in the day. So that means since you are waiting in line you might as well stay in line. This would cause CONFUSION. Lottery is for Trouble Makers and I think that this topic should be closed!!!

I don't know why you can't respect other fans' preferences. Threads are not closed simply because people disagree with your opinion.

If U2 decides to do a lottery this time, then you will have to live with it. If they do not, then I think we all agree with first come first serve.

JohnCash said:
I agree with oceane and would simply add that cronyism among the first 20 people in line is _hardly_ the biggest problem in a GA line. The big problem is the _many_ random people who show up at 5:30 and try to cut in line. The numbering system gives you a system that allows you to kick those losers out. If there was no way to do that in an organized fashion, all hell would break loose because people would figure out that hte line didn't mean anything.

As someone who was in the heart twice but never at the very front of the line, I'm personally quite grateful to those who come with markers and a notebook: rejecting their system in favor of no system seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

THANK YOU.

A system is better than no system. I can't believe some people here really believe that the free-for-all solution is the best...

Back
Top Bottom