MERGED --> GA Line...Camp Out or Wristbands? + For fans with experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I started this thread I never thought I would get this many responses to my original question. I am curious as to whether or not U2 will announce the procedure for lining up for this tour, as I remember reading somewhere that they might post an announcement on the u2.com web site. It bares watching because if I was under the impression that the policy was first ones to line up meant first ones into the show and they started doing a lottery, I think a riot would break out.

redsox04 said:
I agree that those who choose to line up ALL DAY deserve to be closest to the stage. A lottery system would suck. But a logical solution would be for the promoters (not fans) to hand out "official" numbered wristbands early morning, which would be used to determine each person's position in line some later point in the day. (This, of course, requires the promoters to be motivated to help solve this issue.) Anyone can camp out if they want to be the one of the first to get a wristband, but it doesn't require us to camp out all day, since you could leave once you get your wristband. I don't know about most people, but being held captive for 14+ hours before the concert, when simply taking a piss is a challenge, doesn't thrill me. But if I have to...
This is the same thing as camping out for GA - now you are just camping out for wristbands. You're just pushing the times everyone will arrive to an earlier time. Were you going to get there at 8am to wait for the show? Well, you better get in line at 2am instead to wait for wristbands.

I can't believe people are having such a difficult time with WAITING IN LINE. Look at college basketball. People are always camped out to get good student section seats by 6am. And they play two games a week! At Duke, people live in tents during the winter simply to get good seats. And here we are complaining that we have to waste an entire day in line to see U2?

Do you think anyone who saw the Beatles live growing up is regretting waiting in line now? "Yeah, that Beatles concert sure was great, but man, I wish I could have April 17, 1964 back."

I was curious as to how successful anyone has been in working their way towards the front after being in the back of GA

Honestly guys I can't remember a concert I went to where if there was general admission floor it wasn't first come first serve. For the most part hasn't it always been that way? I loved lining up on the last tour. You spent all day hanging out talking to friends and meeting new ones. Even in the bad weather there was still nowhere I would rather be (besides inside the venue) Everybody is there for the same purpose and it's a lot of fun. Honestly on the day of a u2 concert there's not much else I can think about or want to do besides be around others that are about to experience the same wonderful thing I am. :wink:

I don't think that makes me a freaky or scary fan. It's just fun.

Last edited:
Here Here Acrobat!

HELL...I MET MY FUTURE WIFE IN GA LINE!

WAIT IN LINE, GET MARRIED.

Lottery's are bad for your love life.

I really don't see what the big deal with first come, first serve is. If you don't want to wait, fine, don't wait. You could still probably get yourself fairly close on the floor. If however, you want to show up at 5am and camp out in hopes of getting that spot right in front of Edge, then more power to ya. Some people are willing to go to extremes that others aren't in order to get a good spot at a concert. They should be able to do that. I hold absolutely no grudge or ill will to those with the time, patience, and fortitude to camp out overnight repeatedly. If being front and center means that much to you, who am I to say anything?

Just as long as I get a decent spot as well. :D

U2Acrobat8 said:
Honestly guys I can't remember a concert I went to where if there was general admission floor it wasn't first come first serve. For the most part hasn't it always been that way? I loved lining up on the last tour. You spent all day hanging out talking to friends and meeting new ones. Even in the bad weather there was still nowhere I would rather be (besides inside the venue) Everybody is there for the same purpose and it's a lot of fun. Honestly on the day of a u2 concert there's not much else I can think about or want to do besides be around others that are about to experience the same wonderful thing I am. :wink:

I don't think that makes me a freaky or scary fan. It's just fun.

Thank you.

I'm too old to wait in line over 8 hours.

In 2001, I did it twice and it wasn't too bad. But that was 4 years ago. I am now mid thirties, with a herniated disc. I've got a GA ticket and I'm probably gonna show up at 10am and hope I get somewhere near the stage. Here's hoping!

Honestly, I don't think any of us will have a problem getting close if we line up anytime before 11am. We might not get the very front, but close enough.

I'm still lining up well before 11 though. ;)

No doubt in my mind that I'm in the Seattle GA line early with a blanket, book, and a pillow. This will be my 3rd U2 GA line experience. I think the number system works well.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about being in the heart or the egg. Imho the absolute best place to be is outside at the tip or apex of the runway. You're close to the band and bono when he comes out, you can see everything in front of you, and you can see the light show well.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

So...say, scaling the fence outside Bono's house wouldn't be more pathetic? Get a grip. I did this at one show in my hometown, not every night. I got the spot I wanted in the front, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. And that's including waiting in line part. I don't regret doing it for a second. And for the record, I had reserved seats for the the concert I got out of before getting in line that night. They were about a mile and a half away from the stage, but it was still a really fun show. Oh, no wait. I forgot. Since I'm soooo nuts, I didn't have a good time at all that night because I was out of Bono's spit spray.

Also, I'm glad your omniscient and know exactly which fans scare the band. Call me crazy (wait, you already did), but I think after 25 years of touring U2 miiiight have seen fans do some freakier things than camp out overnight to be in the front row.

U2 don't tour very often. So when they do, some people (including me) tend to go to great lengths to get to shows and get the best spot possible. I have more fun when I'm at the front, so I make an effort to be at the front. You don't want to, fine. But that doesn't make everyone who does "freaks" or "pathetic." And even if you object to that sort of behavior, there's no need to be so openly hostile and rude. I think there's a lot more wrong with that than with people who wait in line for awhile to see their favorite band.

You deserve the Big F**k You! Second I have been to 7 U2 shows! I am protecting the General Admission standard since it was abused on the Rising Tour with Bruce Springsteen which I did 6 shows on that tour and was #1 in Philly at the Wachovia Center and the other shows #'s 8 in D.C., #60 for Tampa, #5 in Greensboro, NC #11 for the last GA line without a Lottery in Rochester, NY. Of course I can be identified due to giving out these shows and #'s. The Main point is your LAZY!!!! If you do a Lottery they would have to do it earlier in the day not right before the show. Also I see the GA Lottery as discrimination and possibly legal action if people get hurt due to a riot and if it is not printed on the ticket. If you arrived at the venue at 5 p.m. the day of the show it would be chaos to have a lottery. It would have to be earlier in the day. So you can't skip work!!! First Come First Serve and thats Final!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in my late 30's and not looking forward to camping out but I want to in order to get up close. I used to sit out for tickets all night but nowadays I'm ready for bed @ 9 most of the time.
Usually I get back upper balcony tickets for U2. Well, I was lucky to get GA for Chicago and I want to be close up - I love U2 to death and nothing would make me happier than to be up close seeing my favorite band. In fact, I am so excited I may die of a heart attack before I get there.
So, I am willing to feel and look like an old hag in order to experience U2 in the best way - real close to them.
No matter where you've sat to see them it's always a magical feeling - I can't imagine how great it will be to be right there.
It's not like they tour every year - if one wants to get up close they can surely find a way to line up for a day - whether they're working, have kids, whatever.

fmattyh said:
This is the same thing as camping out for GA - now you are just camping out for wristbands. You're just pushing the times everyone will arrive to an earlier time. Were you going to get there at 8am to wait for the show? Well, you better get in line at 2am instead to wait for wristbands.

you're right - last summer, my friend and i were going to a manics gig in london, which you had to get a wristband to attend. we had to get there in the middle of the night just to get a wristband, and then it was useless because the wristbands weren't numbered. so we ended up having to get to the hmv way before the gig anyway... :huh:

RA-D said:
So, in conclusion, please don't take the chance of waiting for hours in the queue away from those of us who want to do it, buy/swap for a seat if you can't/won't wait and allow us this experience of a lifetime, please.

I don't think anyone posting here (at least speaking for myself) is trying to take something away from you. I think people are just stating their preference. Some prefer the old fan run system and enjoy the long waits and opportunities to meet new U2 friends etc. Others, like myself, would like to see a U2/venue imposed lottery for the reasons I have posted above. I have met some very nice people in line, as well as some rude people who cut in front of me at 5pm after I waited in line all day. Personally, I am more interested in seeing the show than the the line expreience. If I wanted the latter, maybe I would go to a U2 equivalent trekkie convention. That's just my preference.

If neither U2 nor the venue establish a lottery system, then I am sure we will have fan run lines as per the Elevation tour and the system will likely be the same and I will wait in line all day like the others for my chance to get into the heart.

Super_Fan said:

You deserve the Big F**k You! Second I have been to 7 U2 shows! I am protecting the General Admission standard since it was abused on the Rising Tour with Bruce Springsteen which I did 6 shows on that tour and was #1 in Philly at the Wachovia Center and the other shows #'s 8 in D.C., #60 for Tampa, #5 in Greensboro, NC #11 for the last GA line without a Lottery in Rochester, NY. Of course I can be identified due to giving out these shows and #'s. The Main point is your LAZY!!!! If you do a Lottery they would have to do it earlier in the day not right before the show. Also I see the GA Lottery as discrimination and possibly legal action if people get hurt due to a riot and if it is not printed on the ticket. If you arrived at the venue at 5 p.m. the day of the show it would be chaos to have a lottery. It would have to be earlier in the day. So you can't skip work!!! First Come First Serve and thats Final!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, where did you get the idea that I wanted a lottery system? I didn't mention that anywhere in my post. In fact, there's nothing I want less. I think the only fair way is for it to be first come, first serve. Honestly, I have no clue where you got the impression that I felt otherwise. All I did was say I wasn't a freak for WANTING to wait in line all day.

Also, next time skip the swears, caps, and exclamation points. People will listen to you more if you're not rude to them right off the bat.

Last edited:
Thats how I make a point with my exclemation marks.!!!!!!! Yes I am rude to those who are trying to take away First Come First Serve Policy its with tickets now at ticketmaster outlets and now its affecting fans at the show and its uncalled for. I do have alot of leverage in D.C. (Thats why the user name backs it up) Sorry that was for Lazarus on page 6 of this thread sorry for misquoting the wrong user. I am sorry and my post was not attended at you.

Quoted by Lazarus:

In the annals of U2 fandom, I don't know if there's anything more pathetic than getting in line the night before the next show, after getting out of the current show.

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

It's people like this that scare band members. I know people camp out earlier and earlier, but if you can't see daylight, you should probably be home sleeping. Is there anyone who, upon walking out of a show and seeing campers out, would not roll their eyes and think "that is just sad"? This kind of one-upmanship just makes it harder for "normal" obsessive fans to have a great experience.

You don't need to be within polishing distance of Edge's shoe every night to enjoy the concert. Get a life and let things be shaken up a little. You can still get your freak ass to the venue at 6am and retain your Superfan credibility.

laz

I have only met Bono once in Baltimore when he arrived at the arena. He did skip me but I understand there were alot of people there before the show. I do not scare U2. I follow Metallica and they are amused but they do love their fans (especially the same one's at each show) and do things in a way to deliever to them every single time.

Last edited:
fmattyh said:
I don't think there will be that big a problem if U2 decides they want a lottery for GA order and if they communicate it ahead of time, as most people have said.

What everyone is going to be angry about is if some fans try to take it upon themselves to organize a lottery for position. Am I correct in understanding that a lottery was organized in some venues by fans during Elevation? That's exactly what no one wants. If the band wants to do it - go ahead. We just don't want some bossy fans telling us how to line up and in what order we can enter the building.

No, there was never any lottery during Elevation, it was first come first serve the whole time. What happened was that some of the really hard-core fans travelling around seeing tons of shows developped a system where when you would arrive, you would get a number, a stamp, and sometimes sign your name on the list.

Some people have pointed out that those people had a little clique and always put their names and their friend's names first on the list, so that was a problem. But I personally appreciated that some fans decided to set up a system, and my experience was that it was fair and on a first come, first serve basis, although I never witnessed how it worked for the first 10-20 people. I saw 7 shows GAs, and most fans were very happy with this numbering system. If there is no order or numbers at all, it is the best way for most of us to get totally screwed when at 5pm people start jumping the line.

Also, at some venues, the security is just clueless and will not collaborate with fans. At one of the Montreal shows, they randomly changed the entrance and waiting area three time during the day, and it was absloute chaos. If we hadn't had a numbering system set-up by fans, those of us who were there early in the morning would have gotten completely screwed and might have ended at the back of the arena.

I agree that some of the organizers-followers-fans abused the system a little during Elevation, but we absolutely need a numbering system this time around too. It's more fair, everyone is less stressed out, you can get out of the line to go eat something, go to the bathroom without worrying, and it's just more fun for everyone.

Super_Fan said:
Thats how I make a point with my exclemation marks.!!!!!!! Yes I am rude to those who are trying to take away First Come First Serve Policy its with tickets now at ticketmaster outlets and now its affecting fans at the show and its uncalled for. I do have alot of leverage in D.C. (Thats why the user name backs it up) Sorry that was for Lazarus on page 6 of this thread sorry for misquoting the wrong user. I am sorry and my post was not attended at you.

Quoted by Lazarus:

In the annals of U2 fandom, I don't know if there's anything more pathetic than getting in line the night before the next show, after getting out of the current show.

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

It's people like this that scare band members. I know people camp out earlier and earlier, but if you can't see daylight, you should probably be home sleeping. Is there anyone who, upon walking out of a show and seeing campers out, would not roll their eyes and think "that is just sad"? This kind of one-upmanship just makes it harder for "normal" obsessive fans to have a great experience.

You don't need to be within polishing distance of Edge's shoe every night to enjoy the concert. Get a life and let things be shaken up a little. You can still get your freak ass to the venue at 6am and retain your Superfan credibility.

laz

Ok, thanks for apologizing. I still think you'd get your point across better if you were calmer, but I can certainly understand your frustration. :)

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Ok, thanks for apologizing. I still think you'd get your point across better if you were calmer, but I can certainly understand your frustration. :)

I understand but I know the people that have gone to more than 10 plus shows and yes probably there were insistances it didn't look right. Well they did take turns waiting in line sleeping in cars nearby the line. So you can't get upset for that at them. I will not reveal who I am but there should be one person out there who knows who I am. My Goal is to stop the complaints and they will stop. I will have a list of Rules and see if a majority agree with the GA Rules. I am going to about 5 or 6 shows on the first leg of the tour and to about 15 on the third leg if its still at arenas. I know how to deal with this problem and it will still be over our heads. When I do these shows I will speak about the issue as well as to the people in line because Bruce stop GA was base on people putting names on the list when they were in another city and people competed against each other and the GA standard of getting there earlier changed throughout each tour stop.

oceane said:

No, there was never any lottery during Elevation, it was first come first serve the whole time.
OK, my mistake.
What happened was that some of the really hard-core fans travelling around seeing tons of shows developped a system where when you would arrive, you would get a number, a stamp, and sometimes sign your name on the list.
OK - and you would still have to remain in line the whole day, or were people allowed to leave and come back at 5 or whatever?

Some people have pointed out that those people had a little clique and always put their names and their friend's names first on the list, so that was a problem. But I personally appreciated that some fans decided to set up a system, and my experience was that it was fair and on a first come, first serve basis, although I never witnessed how it worked for the first 10-20 people. I saw 7 shows GAs, and most fans were very happy with this numbering system. If there is no order or numbers at all, it is the best way for most of us to get totally screwed when at 5pm people start jumping the line.
I agree that numbering would be good as long as it is used specifically for the purpose of preventing line-jumpers. If it is used to allow people to leave for hours at a time, I think it does more harm than good.

Speaking of line-jumpers, isn't it pretty easy to self-police? I mean, close to show time, isn't everyone pretty much looking out for each other and on their guard for people like that? Sure, numbers/stamps are an added deterrent, but how hard is it for people to just watch out for each other? (I haven't done GA before, so this is why I ask. It seems easy to do in theory, but I guess I can understand that things never go quite as easily as planned.)

Also, at some venues, the security is just clueless and will not collaborate with fans. At one of the Montreal shows, they randomly changed the entrance and waiting area three time during the day, and it was absloute chaos. If we hadn't had a numbering system set-up by fans, those of us who were there early in the morning would have gotten completely screwed and might have ended at the back of the arena.
The numbering is definitely a good thing here. You're right, I can't even imagine what would have happened otherwise.[/quote]

I agree that some of the organizers-followers-fans abused the system a little during Elevation, but we absolutely need a numbering system this time around too. It's more fair, everyone is less stressed out, you can get out of the line to go eat something, go to the bathroom without worrying, and it's just more fun for everyone.
Makes sense. Numbering does sound good in theory, but in practice it just seems like it would be easy for people to leave for four or five hours and come back later. How do you prevent this? Just by being aware and looking out for each other? But then how come it is easy to keep watch for these people, but more difficult to keep watch for line-jumpers?

Another random question, as far as the whole numbering thing goes. Won't you have to have some fan wait up at the entrance gate to check all the numbers as people are let into the stadium? Or will arena employees actually help out as far as checking numbers? If the whole numbering thing is fan-organized, it seems as though you'd have to have a fan wait up front to check all the numbers. And it'd sure suck to be them.

fmattyh,

Numbering was not designed to allow people to leave for hours, just to make sure everyone had their proper place in line on a first come first serve basis. There might have been exceptions that I was not aware of, but people did not leave and come back at 5pm, because it would not have been accepted by the fans around.

The cool thing is you get to know the people around you in line, so they can check your spot as long as you don't leave for too long, and there was actually very good 'self-policing' from the fans in terms of people trying to jump the line. It was just not accepted, but the list and numbers helped with that a lot.

At some venues, the security didn't care about our numbering system, but most times they actually did, and made sure themselves people were entering in order. Other times, the fans organizing the list would go through the GA line about 1 hour or 2 before doors would open to make sure everything was in order and no one had jumped the line. When a list of names was used (that was later in the tour) it was even better.

It's certainly not a perfect system, but I found it worked well during Elevation (apart for some abuse by a few fans maybe).

What basically happened in the GA line is that for most of the day, it was pretty easy going, with people sitting down, walking around, hanging out and having fun. But you couldn't come in the morning, leave all day and just come back at 5pm, you had to be around the GA line for most of the day. That part was actually a lot of fun, as you would get to know the people around you in all. To me that was totally part of the GA experience, it makes the show even better in the end. Then at around 4pm, people would start getting more serious, bring their extra stuff back to their car, and then actually stand in line in order four 2-3 more hours. Those were the longest, I can tell you.

I hope things go the same way this time around. I can't wait!:hyper:

oceane, thanks for helping me out and answering all my questions. The more we talk about it the more excited I get.....man, three more months.

I am so totally looking forward to hanging out in line and just meeting everyone else. Almost as much as U2 itself. Well, OK, maybe not that much... ;) But it sounds like it will be a blast. (Now if only I can get more tickets... :wink:)

I remember Slane 1. We stood outside all day before the show and all night. There was a jerk (security) who screamed at us and told us to go away and that none of us could sleep outside in a line. Man that guy was mad.

Johnovox said:

Not me. I am hoping that U2 has their own policy this time.

You're right, the best solution is if the band has a policy, that it is fair, the same everywhere, well explained ahead of time, and that the U2 staff makes sure local security knows about it an respects it.

But somehow I doubt it will happen, and in the absence of an official system set-up by U2 themselves, I'd rather have a fan-run system than nothing at all.

oceane said:

You're right, the best solution is if the band has a policy, that it is fair, the same everywhere, well explained ahead of time, and that the U2 staff makes sure local security knows about it an respects it.

But somehow I doubt it will happen, and in the absence of an official system set-up by U2 themselves, I'd rather have a fan-run system than nothing at all.

Agreed. But I am still hoping.

This whole thread is a bunch of bullshit.

I have GA to both Philly shows and I plan on being there early for each, no sooner than 10am and no later than noon. I could give a shit about being inside the whatever it is this time around. On Elevation I was at the edge of the catwalk right outside the heart and it was easily the best spot in the entire building for that show. Hell, Bono practically dislocated my g/f's arm during Until the End of the World when he grabbed her lol.

Regardless I want to be inside the thing this time around, if some people are more dedicated than me and care more to camp out for 24 hours just for that then they deserve it. A lottery system is simply bullshit. Think if you were the one who camped over night and then pulled #50 out of the lottery and the person who got #1 was there 3 seconds before the lottery began. It shouldnt be about luck, luck should only apply to the ticket location. If you put in the time and effort and have the ability to camp then more power to you. If you have a life that doesnt allow for that or physical ailments why should special consideration be made for you? No, you should make special considerations for IT. There are limitations in life be thankful you'll be on the floor instead of the poor sap whos banging his head on the ceiling who loves U2 far more than you do.

A lottery is shit unless the fans are told well beforehand that it will be in place. It should be run by an unbiased person. No fans! These fans will look out for themselves and their friends and I guaran-damn-tee that if anyone gives me shit, I'll twat them in the fucking mouth and not listen one bit and then I'll get a big gang of people with the same mindset and destroy your organization and rah rah do it this way attitude. Unless U2 or the venue appoints someone I will not listen to you at all. It was my egg that hit the Bushmobile during the inauguration in 2000.

I want to have fun and get close, and if I get there at the balls of dawn I should get in where I lined up. No preferential treatement for anyone.

bonosleftone said:
This whole thread is a bunch of bullshit.

(...)

A lottery is shit unless the fans are told well beforehand that it will be in place. It should be run by an unbiased person. No fans! These fans will look out for themselves and their friends and I guaran-damn-tee that if anyone gives me shit, I'll twat them in the fucking mouth and not listen one bit and then I'll get a big gang of people with the same mindset and destroy your organization and rah rah do it this way attitude. Unless U2 or the venue appoints someone I will not listen to you at all. It was my egg that hit the Bushmobile during the inauguration in 2000.

Chill out there my friend... clearly you didn't read this whole thread before calling it 'bullshit'. I think everybody here agrees that if there were to be a lottery, it would have to be done by U2 staff, and explained well in advance, so people would not line up for nothing.

There was NEVER any lottery arranged by fans during Elevation, and everyone can rest assured it will not happen this time around either... People would never accept that, no doubt. What happened was a numbering system set-up by a group of fans to make sure everyone was in order and no one was cheating. Those fans might have abused this system, as some people have claimed, but if it happens this time around, we should stand up and not let it happen.

That does NOT mean that ANY system set-up by fans, in the absence of an official one, is necessarily bad. People STILL have to wait in line all day, and it is STILL first come first serve. The difference is that there is a system, and things end up going way more smoothly than without it.

So calm down before you threaten violence to fellow U2 fans who, for the most part, are only there to have a good time like yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom