MERGED --> GA Line...Camp Out or Wristbands? + For fans with experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, help me out. I'm a complete newbie to all the GA stuff. I tried for reserved lowers, but got screwed by a TM error. TM just gave me GAs today as a consolation. I am grateful for them, but reading this thread is making me nervous. All you hardcore guys, cut me and my g/f some slack: we're from a different culture. We are not hardcore concert goers; we just want to see a show without being exhausted, dyhdrated and/or sunburnt from waiting in line all day. We don't want to jack up your experience; we just want to be able to enjoy ours. So, from what I'm hearing, there is no one official way of managing GA lines at concerts? How will we know what to do when we get there? Do we just show up and see what happens? Or is there some kind of advance notice about procedures?

Last edited:
Last time round', I was in the heart a few times. Yep, I was there before 10:00. Yep, I met a lot of people who did follow the band around quite a bit. And yep, they did usually hand out the numbers to keep people in order.
But from what I saw, there was very little, if any, holding back numbers for friends who showed up later. Everyone was watching for that stuff, and believe me, even when I was with friends 150th in line, we were prepared to call the people up front out if they tried anything. Their organization was appreciated by most everybody. Come time to enter the arena, there was no way people were crashing the line.

What was sort of funny was that in some of the smaller cities like Minneapolis or Milwaukee, you could have shown up only a few hours before the show and either made it into the heart or had a prime spot just outside it. So standing in line all day isn't always even necessary. Unless you get into the social aspect of it too.

And check out the seating chart for Phoenix. That mile-long catwalk is gonna mean prime views for virtually everyone, regardless of when you show up.

lazarus said:
I don't know if "worked out great" is the best way to describe fans handling the line order. What usually happens is that elitist fans give the first 20 spaces in line to their friends/acquaintances/other freaks that are following the band from town to town, whether they are present first thing in the morning or not.

While this doesn't happen at every show, it shouldn't happen AT ALL. That's why the "get your number, go do whatever you want for 12 hours, and line up later" thing is bad news. There is no way to verify who is in front of you and if they earned that place in line by getting there before you.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's Type A personalities who try and take charge of everything like a goddamned camp counselor, and then give preferential treatment to sycophants who acknowledge their self-proclaimed authority position. That kind of amateur crap is worse than corporate snafus because it's coming from people who should know better.

If you want to be up close, you sit there all day like you're supposed to. Deal with it. You can go to the bathroom and get food when you need to, but none of this sleeping at the hotel crap. Just because you're obsessed and spent your life savings on 10 shows doesn't mean you automatically get a spot ahead of me.

laz

i agree with this 100%

lazarus said:

If there's one thing I can't stand it's Type A personalities who try and take charge of everything like a goddamned camp counselor... [edit]

laz

lol.... :wink:

Couldn't agree more. People have wayyyyyy too much time on their hands if they are already planning out alternate systems for entering the arenas, instead the tried-and-true method of simply waiting in line.

I saw the band in London on the Elevation tour, and a couple of people at the front had put together an elaborate plan where everyone was supposed to put their name on a list, and get numbers drawn on the backs of their hands, to make it easier to figure out who was cutting in line. Of course, some people got magic markers and wrote fake numbers on their hands, while others who didn't "sign up" because they weren't aware that they had to got screwed. And of course the arena staff paid no attention whatsoever to this system. The funniest part about it was that the organizers were American, and my friend quipped, "leave it to the Americans to try and put everything in order." Hehehe...

I think it should just be everyone line up, one by one, and wait it out all day. If people want to take short trips to get food or bathroom breaks, no one will freak out, so long as you're back in line shortly. That's the way it worked last year in San Jose, and it was perfect.

I went to shows in Vancouver and Salt Lake City during Elevation. Vancouver was basically lineup and about an hour of so before the doors opened they queued us up in barriers before entering.

SLC was like how people have already mentioned. The first fans in line had a clipboard where you signed in and gave you a number. People were allowed to go get food or bathroom breaks but no one went away for hours.

Both experiences went well but in SLC some guys tried to butt in line but everyone and I mean everyone in line shouted them out of the line up.

The way I see it, if you want to get up close to the stage you gotta make the sacrifice. Just like some people can't buy tickets during pre-sale or whatever because of work committments. That's life. I have been living 10 hours away from the nearest large city and can't see any concerts unless I plan a trip. My problem so I can't bitch about it.

Neither city had advance procedures. In SLC I got in line around 7am and was 265th in the line. I just walked up and went to the front to see what was going on. The later shows seemed to be more organized as people learned how the show was setup and about other fan experiences around the country.

Have fun Sugar

lol @ jammin. I dont remember seeing anyone drinking in line. If I remember correctly there were a few security people lingering around all day. But I'm sure it wouldnt be too difficult to do.

Chizip said:

i agree with this 100%

Me too. I had GA for one of the Providence shows last time around and the whole experience just kind of sucked. I had been looking forward to hanging out all night and day with fans but it ended up just being disappointing. People thinking they were in charge of the whole damn situation, people randomly showing up in the afternoon with numbers ensuring them a place at the front of the line. I don't know if the same thing happened in each city or if I was just b-ish from lack of sleep, food, and bathroom. That said, I will be trying this whole thing again with renewed hope. Watch out, I plan on getting chatty with people in line around me ;)

What's the earliest that anyone has heard of people camping out for? I'm ok with 8am or later, but there's no way i can wait earlier than that. I've heard of people waiting for 2 days for Springsteen!

Sicy said:
lol @ jammin. I dont remember seeing anyone drinking in line. If I remember correctly there were a few security people lingering around all day. But I'm sure it wouldnt be too difficult to do.

We were drinking in line last tour. The drinks were in soda bottles, though, so they were semi-concealed.

Some of these venues dont let you line up before a certain time. I think it was 8am in Vegas.

The AA arena in Miami won't let you line up/camp out outside the venue, but people did camp out in the parking lot across the street. The people at the front of the line got there the afternoon of the day before the show. On the morning of the concert, security allowed the line to reform outside the venue.

lazarus said:
I don't know if "worked out great" is the best way to describe fans handling the line order. What usually happens is that elitist fans give the first 20 spaces in line to their friends/acquaintances/other freaks that are following the band from town to town, whether they are present first thing in the morning or not.

While this doesn't happen at every show, it shouldn't happen AT ALL. That's why the "get your number, go do whatever you want for 12 hours, and line up later" thing is bad news. There is no way to verify who is in front of you and if they earned that place in line by getting there before you.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's Type A personalities who try and take charge of everything like a goddamned camp counselor, and then give preferential treatment to sycophants who acknowledge their self-proclaimed authority position. That kind of amateur crap is worse than corporate snafus because it's coming from people who should know better.

If you want to be up close, you sit there all day like you're supposed to. Deal with it. You can go to the bathroom and get food when you need to, but none of this sleeping at the hotel crap. Just because you're obsessed and spent your life savings on 10 shows doesn't mean you automatically get a spot ahead of me.

laz
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Well said, indeed.

Some people are restricted by time; others by money. Many of us are only able to purchase one ticket per tour due to financial situations. If we can only afford to do it once, we sure as heck are going to make sure we get as much out of it as possible. Letting random luck dictate our proximity to the band is NOT the way to go.

Many have mentioned conflicts due to work or whatever, therefore we should just be able to check in and get a number and then leave for a few hours. Not a good idea. Conflicts are a part of life. You shouldn't receieve preferable treatment just because you have "more important" things to do.

Many of us found that a lot of Interferencers were lacking sympathy for "poor college students" or those who could not afford to attend concert after concert around the country. "Tough," they said. "You can't always do everything in life; it's time you learned that lesson now," they said, condescendingly. "I'm not going to feel guilty for going to several just because you cannot afford tickets on eBay."

See where I'm going with this? Maybe now you have commitments, but my guess is that you have already experienced the time in your life when you didn't have these commitments and could spend 20 hours waiting in line for a concert. Well, I'm at that stage in my life now, and I don't want anyone to take that away from me.

Oh, you have to go to work? You have to take care of your kids? It's called life. Don't expect preferential treatment just because you have certain responsibilities others of us do not have.

It is a given that not everyone is able to wait in line overnight for the best position. If you can't, too bad. It is a given that not everyone is able to afford U2 show after U2 show. If you can't, too bad. Life goes on.

Get in line and wait your turn. That's the way things have always worked; no reason to change it now.

(I'm not trying to come across as a bastard about this, I just feel very strongly about it. I'm not really the mean-spirited person I'm coming across as. :wink: Promise.)

It's prob just common sense to others, but can someone explain to me the logistics of camping out the day before the show? If you drive to the arena, where do you park for such an extended period of time? Do you just junk your belongings like sleeping bags and pillows?

In which cities will you find ppl starting the day before and are there a lot of them? Time's not that big of an issue for me, but the logistics and comfort kinda is? Is it really worth being up 24 hrs in row if you're gonna be spent by the time the show starts?

Just show up by 9 am the day of the show and everything should be fine. At most shows, you can bring blankets to sit on, as well as your personal belongings, and then have someone in your crew run them back to the car later in the afternoon, closer to entrance time.

Basically, people attend the shows and line up in groups. As long as most of your "group" holds your spot in line, it's okay for individual members to run short errands during the day (bathroom breaks, to nearby restaurants for take-out food, etc.)

Around an hour or so before entry time, everyone starts "getting serious," so to speak, and is watchful for anyone trying to cut in line. Event staff walk around and put wristbands on the first 300 people in line, who will be allowed into the heart. No one can leave, and everyone is besides themselves with excitement. Finally, a couple hours before showtime, you're allowed into the arena, where everyone files into the heart and then starts freaking out. :)

At some cities, of course, matters deviated from this general pattern, but never to good results. Just hope that the arena staff in your city is sensible and fair. And don't stress too much--remember that whatever crazy events happen during the day, at the end of it, you'll still get to see U2.

fmattyh said:
Get in line and wait your turn. That's the way things have always worked; no reason to change it now.
"Always?" How many GA shows have you been to? 95% of the GA shows I've been to have no line, no queue, nothing.

Pure will, strength, and brawn gets you to the front. If you can't hack that, then the back of the pack awaits you.

I understand that only a limited number of people can be inside the heart or whatever, and that you're probably using "always" to describe what you really should be calling "U2's last tour". I just wanted to differentiate, because I've been to plenty of GA shows where this little line/lottery debate would be laughed at.

BTW: Excellent post, Lazarus.

spacefreak said:
"Always?" How many GA shows have you been to? 95% of the GA shows I've been to have no line, no queue, nothing.
I just wanted to differentiate, because I've been to plenty of GA shows where this little line/lottery debate would be laughed at.

Let's keep in mind that we're talking about American shows here. Europe has had GA shows for a while, whereas they were banned in the U.S. after a Who show in the early 80's where some people were trampled to death, if I'm not mistaken.

As I said in another thread, the only reason U2 was able to convince American venues to allow GA for Elevation was because of the Heart acting as a buffer, breaking up what would otherwise be one giant mass. That and the fact that U2 fans are more likely to be respectful than what you might see at a Metallica show, for example. I'm sure Pearl Jam would have succeeded in getting the nod too, but they're a bit sensitive since a fan died in Europe several years back.

Of course, there are tons of rock concerts in Europe that are GA that go off without a hitch. Perhaps the powers that be just figure American are too selfish and feel too entitled to be trusted...

laz

According to the stage plan for the AZ show (which is said to be the same layout for all shows), there is no "inner sanctum" like a heart. There is a mainstage connected to a very long runway that practically runs the entire length of the floor. It would appear from that diagram that virutally everybody on the floor would get a good view. Perhaps the best place to be is closer to the main stage, but it would seem that there wouldn't be as much pressure to be among the first 300 in line.

spacefreak said:

Pure will, strength, and brawn gets you to the front. If you can't hack that, then the back of the pack awaits you.

I understand that only a limited number of people can be inside the heart or whatever, and that you're probably using "always" to describe what you really should be calling "U2's last tour". I just wanted to differentiate, because I've been to plenty of GA shows where this little line/lottery debate would be laughed at.

BTW: Excellent post, Lazarus.
By "always" I'm not referring to GA - I'm referring to life.

In elementary school, when you line up to get food in the lunch room before it opens, you don't draw numbers - whoever's in line first gets food first.

When people line up at department stores on "Black Friday" (day after Thanksgiving, when all US stores have ridiculously cheap sales), whoever is in line first, gets in first.

When you wait up for Disneyland to open so you can run to Space Mountain before the huge lines, the first one in line is the first one in.

When you wait outside a movie theater for a blockbuster movie, the first person in line is the first person to get seats.

When people try to get tickets on Ticketmaster.com, you don't have everyone submit their user name, then wait for an email detailing what position you were randomly selected for.

Note that when you try to get Ticketmaster in person, they DO do a lottery and not many people like it.

I'm not saying GA has "always" been done first come, first served. I'm saying that's what life is - you're first in line, you're the first one to be served. No reason a U2 concert should be any different.

lazarus said:

Let's keep in mind that we're talking about American shows here. Europe has had GA shows for a while, whereas they were banned in the U.S. after a Who show in the early 80's where some people were trampled to death, if I'm not mistaken.

laz

The Who concert was in Cincinnati. I don't know if GA were really banned just that arena didn't want to do them.

I've been to plenty of concerts before Elevation where it was General Admission and you should in front of the stage.

Anyway, Cincinnati also didn't like the idea of having Bruce Springsteen's last tour being GA. I remember there was some controversy. Cincy can't get over how that Who concert went but the story is that there was soundcheck and the people outside thought the concert had started and then rushed to get in. I think that is why people were trampled.

I think we have learned a lot since then!

BlueStar said:

*applaudes* I couldn't agree more.

Thank you. You can blame 2 to 5 people who screw this up for Bruce GA.

Depending if I am there for San Diego which I will be there for probably. The first show for GA should be the same and be followed by example. If problems due arise out of the majority of the fans control, then The Lazy Bastards won and look for the US 3rd Leg to be different. My attentions are to protect First Come, First Serve. San Diego had problems last time and I was just there in November for Metallica and if its perfect Camping Out is a Go for the first leg.

skjuls said:

The Who concert was in Cincinnati. I don't know if GA were really banned just that arena didn't want to do them.

I've been to plenty of concerts before Elevation where it was General Admission and you should in front of the stage.

Anyway, Cincinnati also didn't like the idea of having Bruce Springsteen's last tour being GA. I remember there was some controversy. Cincy can't get over how that Who concert went but the story is that there was soundcheck and the people outside thought the concert had started and then rushed to get in. I think that is why people were trampled.

I think we have learned a lot since then!

Question u have an extra GA ticket for first show San Diego?
Sorry I know this is out of topic.

Say you get into the heart or whatever it is this time and you are in a certain spot. do the fans around you hold that spot for you if you want to get a beer or take a piss or whatever before the show?

I was just outside the heart 2x about 3 rows deep and that seemed like a better deal to me. For my last show I was in the back of the arena at MSG which was not so cool...

A beer? You're telling me you would leave the inner pit to go get a beer?

:eyebrow:

:|

Once you were in the heart, you were allowed to come and go as you please. Of course, the spot where you were standing in the heart was not always there when you got back. I went and got a beer before the show and came back with no problems. But I was kind of just muddling around everywhere in the heart so it didn't matter. There was no bad spot to stand so it didn't matter.

I'm cool with simply getting there early and waiting it out. If you've got more than one person in your group then it's not such a drag (hell, I even put up with being rained on for the last hour of one show). As far as people cutting, the line is pretty damn good about minimizing that - you'd be surprised how effective hundreds of people yelling at once is at discouraging cutters. ;)

Super_Fan said:
You mother F**kers got this idea from people who screwed the GA line for Bruce Springsteen. I have a duty to make sure this will not happen for U2. I knew after Bruce did this that it would lead to U2. You Lazy Bastards, put your time into your spot not hoping for freakin dumb fuck luck! First Come First Serve! People that have abused the GA system will not get away with it at the shows I am at. It will be done fair. The tour has not started any shows, and we are all getting into this. If the Bruce GA lottery comes and effects U2 GA, I will start a campaign against this GA lottery.
:

:yikes: wow...chill a little!

Back
Top Bottom