MERGED--> GA admission chaos/mess at Manchester + hysterically panicking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZooTV2005 said:

I hope people connected with the band will read these postings and realise that they need to organise and revamp the whole system that they currently have in place.

If you email Cecilia, the chances of that happening improve greatly!

Cecilia Coffey works for PM and has already received a few emails from people advising her of the situation and she stated that she would pass it on... So the more info we can give her, the more she can rely to the guys...

Miroslava said:
Since Cecilia was so receptive to the email from Jim, perhaps others with bad experiences care to email her (politely of course) with a description of their situation? Seems like a lot of these posts can just be cut and pasted...

cecilia@numb.ie

Last edited:
Extract from a fan review of Manchester 1 on another fansite:-

A man dressed in odd gear approached us and said: "You can get Vertigo up here." My friend laughed and I angrily chuckled at this reincarnation of E.T. Then he said: "Come with me where you can breathe a little easier." E.T. could tell that the look on our faces resembled question marks. We followed him and he flashed his pass to security guards. He told the security guards that we were his guests. We were in utter disbelief. We were in the coveted oval. He turned to us and said: "Enjoy the show guys." We just looked at him dumb founded and we did not see him again for the rest of the show.
We leave the stadium, and who do we see? E.T. was being arrested. I asked the police officer why he was arrested. He was arrested for disguising himself as an employee of the stadium.

Another extract from another fansite post:-

I was lucky enough to end up in the 'Golden Circle' at the front, not through bribery or good looks (!) but because a friend of a friend sold me a Manchester City FC stewards' pass for the same value as a normal ticket. Funny thing was I didn't even know I had the VIP treatment til I arrived at the concert. Pretty uplifting I can tell you!!! To be honest, I was a little embarrassed to be able to stroll around in front of the stage when 20 yards behind me, there were people who'd no doubt been queuing for hours, tightly packed up against the barriers. Also, there were quite a few people in the Circle who didn't seem to know half the songs..

Makes me cringe.

And another extract:-

After hours of speculation gates finally opened an hour late, however we found that the pit was already packed because security was appalling, we were bounced around from one place to the next trying to get a wrist band only to find that you only qualified if you were a fit bird or willing to pay the shady security guards a tenner (these were the rumours).

One more: -

As we went in there was no sign or mention of wristbands to get into the front section. Lots of complaints were made but we, like everyone else, were told to find a spot in the crowd,even though it was less than 1/2 full.It was only because my girlfriend felt ill later on that we went into the stand for some water and I saw a shifty looking steward with a crowd around him by the gents. When I got closer I saw he was giving out wristbands!I asked for and got 4 for my friends,this being 1/2hr before U2 came on!As it turned out I had 6 so I gave them to 2 ladies and made their day too, even though other people were offering me money for them.

OffAxis said:

I know you were kind of joking with this comment, but I had to repsond. I don't even live in Oakland, but it's pretty freakin' cool city.

You do realize that Oakland is directly across the bay from San Francisco and is surrounded by water and moutain peaks. With Oakland/Bay Area you get everything, surfing, mountain biking, 10 legitimate small club concert venues, world class sailing, awesome windsurfing and kite boarding spots, major NCAA sports (5 schools to be exact) and much more. And within a short driving distance you have 5 national parks, Lake Tahoe with unbelievable snow skiing, Big Sur, Pebble Beach golf courses, and Santa Cruz.

Oakland does have some crappy areas (aka ghetto), but that happens with any city. I know for a fact there are some very rough parts of Albuquerque. I did a mission trip there. Oakland has some really nice parts though, like really nice. For example...

local-4.jpg

yeah I was kidding around...no worries:wink:

Ever notice that every other old episode of Cops is filmed in either Fort Worth or Albuquerque? It's better now...

Last edited:
MrsDarcy said:

Aye, that's the one! I was so tempted to pan his face in!! Obnoxious arse!

I think I may have been stood next to you guys. That dick head was right behind us and trying to barge through. Were you with your boyfriend? I think I was stood next to some guy with a geordie accent.

There was a few "off there heads" people around, they seemed to follow me and my party around, i was at the fence in the front enclosure on the edges side, from the sounds of it it seemes that the place was full of them.

I even saw some people go up get a wrist band from one side, carefully take it off and go to the otherside to get another for there mates, the whole things was a complete shambles.

One good thing though was i was able to move around from one b stage to another to try and get the best pics i could, i was manic, so if you saw a 6ft 3 lad running from side to side every so often that was me

Last edited:
Wow, reading through this thread, I cant believe things were that unorganized. With the amount of people they are lucky it didnt turn into something bad.

I think the solution would be a lottery system for the bomb shelter! :laugh: ;) Sorry, only joking, but I couldnt resist.

I think its like the U.S. and security is venue specific. So other shows wont necessarily be this bad and may go smoothly.

It seemed to go well tonight, it was just a free-for-all really. Get in, show your ticket and leg it down to the entrance to the enclosure. I guess in its own way thats dangerous, so it kind of contradicts my first point...but it didnt seem too bad.

But as I got in and had a great night, I probably would say that. I would have though the fairest way would have been to get the wristbands, split them equally between each gate and then the first batch of people in each gate gets a wristband.

Okay it doesnt solve all of the problems, but in one way, at least there'll be less people needing to run to get into a good space as you know you'll get in there and can sort yourself out when in there...

Absolutely hysterically panicking

I just came in here to check whether the same wristband system was used as last time for getting into the 'bomb shelter' and now I feel positively ill reading through this thread. I booked 4 presale tickets to go to Dublin next Saturday. I'm American but I live in England now. My family are coming all the way from Ohio to see me and spend time with me, and I'm bringing my sister (who I see only once a year), my husband (who is also my best friend, but not a big concert-goer) and another friend (who I'm less close to but who is as big a U2 fanatic as I am.) Worse, my husband is 6'4" and my sister and the other friend are tiny - under 5'4". If they're in back, they won't see anything and could be in danger. But my husband is mainly going to be with me and because I want to get him as hooked on U2 as I am, and I don't know how much fun he'll have without me. I honestly don't know what to do here - even if I get lucky and 'beep', who the hell do I take with me, and who do I relegate to a potentially bad spot? Is it worth getting there early to queue at all? But if I don't, I'm likely to get stuck literally all the way at the back and I won't see a damn thing, particularly as it's Dublin so we're talking serious hardcores attending.

More than that, my tickets never arrived. Ticketmaster tell me that if I ring next Monday they'll sort out duplicates for the box office but I can see this all going horribly horribly wrong. What if the duplicates don't have the fanclub presale code on them (for which I paid good money on the fanclub membership), or worse, what if they aren't there at all?? I will be more than devastated if my family travel all the way from America to *not* get in at all...and given that U2's music has been one of the most important things in my life for the last 10 years, and this trip is literally a dream come true for me...I honestly don't know how I'd handle it if it all went wrong. This is the ONLY show I can afford to get tickets for so if I don't get in I don't see U2 on this tour, period, and...God I know I'm a drama queen and people will say I'm overreacting but it would be a very real loss to me. It's stupid, but I will be very, very upset and depressed.

God, if I wasn't panicking before I am now. Do I show up stupidly early and get a number and then do more sightseeing and come back? Do I wait there all day alone and hope I get in and it's just tough for all the people I came with? Do I risk getting crushed? Do I just leave it all to chance and show up at 6:00 and hope I get lucky?

Please, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Hearing all these horror stories...I just don't know what to do. I realise that some people do have to work but this gig is on a Saturday for starters, and first come first served has always seemed pretty fair to me.

Help? :(

Last edited:
Hi.. I was at Manchester on Tues right at the front next to the walkway (Edge's side). There is no lottery for the European leg, so noone should get split up. Its first come, first served - as it should be. We got there are 6am (Gate Y) to be down the front. Later on in the day, they lined everyone up in rows of 4 and when the gates opened, they gave out wristbands to get into the front part. We were lucky at Gate Y, the bands were being given out to each person as they walked through the door, not randomly as at other gates. We got our bands and then ran like hell. Everything was fine but it was very stressful at the time. I dont know if Dublin will be the same but im pretty sure the whole European leg is going to be first come, first serve so as long as you get there early, you should be ok.

im lead to belive lisa2004 is very correct

its first in first served apparently, according to U2.com

line up at 9 AM on show day and youll be right :wink:

Excellent! I feel so much better now.

Well, ok, I'm still panicking about the tickets not actually being there but what can you do! :/

RevDerek said:
Extract from a fan review of Manchester 1 on another fansite:-

A man dressed in odd gear approached us and said: "You can get Vertigo up here." My friend laughed and I angrily chuckled at this reincarnation of E.T. Then he said: "Come with me where you can breathe a little easier." E.T. could tell that the look on our faces resembled question marks. We followed him and he flashed his pass to security guards. He told the security guards that we were his guests. We were in utter disbelief. We were in the coveted oval. He turned to us and said: "Enjoy the show guys." We just looked at him dumb founded and we did not see him again for the rest of the show.
We leave the stadium, and who do we see? E.T. was being arrested. I asked the police officer why he was arrested. He was arrested for disguising himself as an employee of the stadium.

that's a great sory though. :wink:

Nobody better mess with wristband selling or that sort of stuff or there will be be hell to pay guaranteed

:mad: I queued outside the Y entrance from 10.45 on the 14th and thought it was a complete farce,people kept getting text messages from mates in the B entrance queue saying they already had wristbands the security then told us this was to get into the bar,then somebody was told that the B entrance had got into the the stadium, people were getting concerned that they were'nt going to get a wristband.
I think that if eveybody had been kept informed about exactly what was going on the queueing would have been a lot better.

I was in the B entrane and i didnt see any wristbands, and as to the entrance thing, im sure we got in later than some people

Seems like these Twickenham people are much more professional than those at Manchester. Here's an email posted on Zootopia regarding the concerts this coming weekend. Hope this helps someone.

FROM: Sarah Newton Twickenham Stadium Operations Department

Firstly thank you for your email.

I actually had two colleagues up at Manchester yesterday who were equally appalled at the lack of event control for the queuing system.

I can absolutely assure that Twickenham Stadium takes on board everything that occurred yesterday at Manchester.

For the past few days now we have been setting up Twickenham Stadium to cope with the 15,000 people expected on the pitch area for Saturday and Sundays concerts. An elaborate queuing system has been put in place and fans will be accessed on the pitch on a first come first served basis. You will be able to leave the queues if you wish for a limited period of time through a pass out system. We have dedicated 120 staff to this whole system. We are providing tap water for you, toilets, concessions etc.... You can queue as early as you like and where possible, the system is concise and elaborate and we asked that all people queuing remain patient as we have everything under control. Everyone will be given a leaflet explaining the queuing system and the staff will regularly keep you informed as to when the turnstiles will open.

The security companies employed at Manchester are not the same ones we use here, we pride ourselves on a customer focused service and I very much hope we deliver and don't disappoint

Please be aware that the weather is going to be extremely hot for Saturday and Sunday so fans should prepare for extreme weather as shade isn't something I can sort out!

Enjoy the concert and let me know any other concerns you have.

are there only 15,000 people in GA at twickenham? seems like a small number. so if there are 4,000 spaces in the enclosure (thats the figure i've heard, correct me if im wrong) then odds of getting in are pretty good?

manchester 2 went reaaly well.
they filled up the enclosure, and only when it was full did they let people out, giving them a wrist stamp on the way out for re-entry.
i got there at 2pm and the queues were orderly.
obviously they had learned from their mistake, or more likely the managment got heavy on them.
one point though - these events require a massive number of staff. most are casually brought in for one or two days work, college students etc. They are not pros and are not always sure about or dont always care about what they are doing.
I also believe that the stadium is unsuitable for GA. at times it was impossible to move about. The access points were down the aisles of the bottom seats. i saw only one tunnel exit point.

all in all, we had absolutely no problems. in fact i think the enclosure could be filled up more.
the queues will be much much bigger, and earlier, at london and dublin though! so get there early.
dont expect facilities or a nice queing system outside croke park.

yeah Manchester 2 was like clockwork, so let's not slag them off needlessly. manchester 1 was great for me because i was given a wristband at around 1pm because i had got outside gate b so early. I know for those outside our enclosure it was hell though. Manchester 2 was great, i was around 5th in the queue at 8am, we were made to move the queue at around 10am and split into 4 lines so that we were queuing away from the road, then at 3pm we wre made to go to 4 single file lines. the queue was heavily stewarded and we had fences to seperate us. As soon as the soundchecks finished (this is something security have no control over) the gates opened 4:30ish. We then RAN LIKE MAD EVEN THOUGH WE WERE TOLD NOT TOO!!!!! into the turnstyle at the right hand side of the stage and passed through into the front area (we were being counted as we went in to control the numbers). If you wanted a drink or toilet break you were stamped on the way out and had to produce the stamp to get back in. There was the perfect amount of people in the front area and the gig/atmosphere was ACE! Bottom line is get there early and you will get in. I am of the strong opinion that we will have no more wrist bands for the duration of the tour after Manchester 1. And that the stamping system will be used from now on. Paul Mcguniness was in front of us checking on the ellipse, i'm sure he liked what he saw. Bottom line, get there early and you'll get in! Still the fairest way to do this.

its all very well and good that manchester 2 worked fine, when so many of us got messed about at manchester 1

the edges plec said:

Just out of interest what gate were you at, i was at gate Y for the 14th
the famous gate b. was nearly a riot when we seen people getting taken from the back of the que to gate b1

Lo-fi, you must have seen me and the lady there, we were the ones first and second in the queue at B, we arrived just qas they stopped letting people into the enclosure. I was told there would be wristbands and that there were less than 200 people within the enclosure. However, when in the stadium, there were thousands already on the floor, after chatting to some they had arrived about half an hour before they'd gotten in, at about 4pm and were in front of us. Not only was gateY let in first, but there were wristbands there. Luckily, the lady was able to get two free wristbands off a steward for which I will be forever grateful to her. This didn't improve my mood much though, as I knew the friends I had acquired since 10 that morning had been shut out of the 'pit'. The atmosphere was a bit sour after that, the stewards at B were definiely ona money-making exercise.

The second night was a far better experience, far fairer and a far better atmosphere, I wasn't originally going to stay but am now so glad I did, had the best day of my life to date, met some great people and saw an even better show.

I'd like to make a complaint about the stewards on the first night, if someone could tell me where to complain to please.

Still, a fantastic couple of days, I hope someone can assist me with gettin hold of the two bootlegs as I'm on dial-up here.

Back
Top Bottom