MERGED--> First in line.... + Queuing for the front in Europe/Saving places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leetah said:
Do you guys have to use the word nazi?:eyebrow:
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

No reply to your question, but no reuse of the N word which is not giving those who assist with the line the applomb they deserve

try "organizer' or 'conductor, director' or 'where-to-gos"

Last edited:
Doppelgang said:
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

No reply to your question, but no reuse of the N word which is not giving those who assist with the line the applomb they deserve

try "organizer' or 'conductor, director' or 'where-to-gos"

No worries, man, it's already been taken care of. Chip shall henceforth be referred to as the Sexy Line Enforcer.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

No worries, man, it's already been taken care of. Chip shall henceforth be referred to as the Sexy Line Enforcer.

If he stops using the term Eurigo just so spite me, I'd gladly call him that... otherwise he's just the Eejit Line Enforcer (with the pretty girl-like lashes) :mad:

:wink:

Ok guys, would you mind giving me some advice for my first GA experience this coming October? Here's the setup...

I have two GA's for the Philly 10/16 show at the Wachovia Center. A good friend and I (he's not a HUGE U2 fan but already said he's be willing to sidewalk camp for a good spot).

The thing is, we are only 17, have worrying parents and haven't exactly worked out how we're getting their yet. I'm probably gonna convince my buddy to drive us up there.

Now, I want a really good spot. Of course I do. This might be the only time I'll ever get to experience a U2 show on the floor and I want it to be the best experience I can make it. I'd prefer a spot along the railing, as I'm not counting on one of us getting the magical "beep". So, here's where I need some friendly guidence.

When should I (practically) try to get in line. I mean, is really early the morning of the show good enough for a decent spot, or do we really need to camp out over night? I just don't think my dear mother would be able to endure the thought of us sleeping on the sidewalk overnight in Philadelphia. So, what do you think I should do?

:(

on this past leg, if you got there by 5 am, you would be within the top 40 or 50 people. since it'll be colder in the fall, i imagine it will be the same way... so get there by 5 or 5:30 am, and you'll be pretty much guaranteed rail! and good luck getting the beep! :up:

(FYI, someone told me that your changes of getting "beeped" increase by 90% if you're not in the first 100 people... so i guess that's disincentive for lining up early!)

Here's another thing to think about...Lining up uber early in Phily, Chicago, NYC, etc. in the Spring is one thing. But how about a smaller market, say Cleveland, in say, mid December when the lake effect snow is around 10 inches high. I can't imagine needing to line up so early in that case--but we shall see.

(Getting chilly just thinking about my Cleveland GA ticket...)

Chizip said:

Some people brought tents, some people brought sleeping bags, some people built makeshift shelters that looked more like a refugee camp *cough*u2midwestgroup*cough*

It was our bomb shelter man! :wink:

Detroit II, the show I'm thinking I might unintentionally be first in line for, I'm not quite so excited about...yet (my bf and sis won't be w/ me for this one). Sleeping on the sidewalk in Michigan in late-October could mean sleeping in over a foot of snow. But, we're going to do it regardless and I'm sure once the show starts, the cold won't spoil our fun!

I will be in Detroit for the first night. At least it isn't the old Joe Louis or Cobo Arenas. That would be scary! Hopefully The Palace will be cool about it. Any thoughts or experiences from Elevation anyone?

Also since it is a Monday show I may even be the early bird here since I won't have to be at work, so I will plan to bring a notebook and a couple of sharpies.

How about Line Czar as oppossed to Line N@z!

Last edited:
YellowKite said:

I will be in Detroit for the first night. At least it isn't the old Joe Louis or Cobo Arenas. That would be scary! Hopefully The Palace will be cool about it. Any thoughts or experiences from Elevation anyone?

Also since it is a Monday show I may even be the early bird here since I won't have to be at work, so I will plan to bring a notebook and a couple of sharpies.

How about Line Czar as oppossed to Line N@z!

Well, if you're first for the Monday show, I'll see you there since I'll be getting in line for the Tues. show Monday afternoon. I don't have a ticket to the Monday show, but the only ride I could find in was w/ friends going to both shows.

This brings me to another question I'm hoping Chip or someone can answer....

Say I get in line for the Tues show early afternoon on Monday. I'm not going to the Monday show, so I'm guessing I'd be darn near first in line for the Tues show. My friend IS going to the Monday show, and out of fairness, she can't get a number until after that show. So say I get like number 5 and she comes out after the show and gets number 30. During the show, I've parked myself at the front of the line and setup my tent. Would people be pissed if we stick together at my place in line, even if she takes her number after the first show and will get in that order later on? I'm guessing she should go to her spot a few times during the day just to check in w/ the people right before and after her, but I want us to hang out together. I know I'm not allowed to save her a spot during the Monday concert, but I don't want to just wait outside all night and NOT get myself in line, but we're planning on camping together.

Next question: She's the only one I'm really going with and we want to be ellipse buddies so say I get scanned in like 30 places ahead of her and get the Vertigo, can I wait for her to come through and take her into the ellipse?

Sorry, I know these are really specific questions REALLY far in advance, but we're still working on rides and whether or not we will actually camp vs get a hotel room so we'd like to figure it out and make our reservations sooner rather than later, if needs be.

Say I get in line for the Tues show early afternoon on Monday. I'm not going to the Monday show, so I'm guessing I'd be darn near first in line for the Tues show. My friend IS going to the Monday show, and out of fairness, she can't get a number until after that show. So say I get like number 5 and she comes out after the show and gets number 30. During the show, I've parked myself at the front of the line and setup my tent. Would people be pissed if we stick together at my place in line, even if she takes her number after the first show and will get in that order later on? I'm guessing she should go to her spot a few times during the day just to check in w/ the people right before and after her, but I want us to hang out together. I know I'm not allowed to save her a spot during the Monday concert, but I don't want to just wait outside all night and NOT get myself in line, but we're planning on camping together.

Next question: She's the only one I'm really going with and we want to be ellipse buddies so say I get scanned in like 30 places ahead of her and get the Vertigo, can I wait for her to come through and take her into the ellipse?

Lies.....how much wandering of the line did you see us do in Chicago? I'm sure it'll be fine, afterall...it's Detroit and not Chicago.

As for the ellipse thing, all I know is they usually ask that the person you're going to take is supposed to be by you. I never ran into that problem because I've never been in the ellipse!

LivLuv, they may let you wait for her to come through the line, but I doubt it. If you get the lucky beep they ask you right away who are you taking in and they have the wrist bands ready. I don't think they would wait very long.

*Ally* said:
(FYI, someone told me that your changes of getting "beeped" increase by 90% if you're not in the first 100 people... so i guess that's disincentive for lining up early!)

:yes:
Phoenix 1 my friend and I had low 70's and then after arriving at the venue to find the cough second line cough of people already lined up and we all had to file in behind them, so that put us at about 100 or so in the line. When it came time to go in we got the lucky beep and the guys right behind us also!
Phoenix 2 we arrived much earlier in the day but didn't get the lucky beep, but we did notice that the people that were standing about where we were the day before, were front row inside the bomb shelter. :lol:

EPandAmerica said:
LivLuv, they may let you wait for her to come through the line, but I doubt it. If you get the lucky beep they ask you right away who are you taking in and they have the wrist bands ready. I don't think they would wait very long.

Then two lucky fans may get to swap a ticket b/c I'm not going in w/o her.

no you can definitely wait for her, especially if she is just like 20 people behind you

i remember in san diego some girl was near the tip outside the ellipse when she got a phone call, one of her friends beeped and told her to come meet her by the wristband desk. she went out there and they both got wristbands to go into the ellipse.

so i really dont think youd have a problem waiting for you friend.

i just hope they forget about the lottery altogether

Queuing for the front in Europe/Saving places

I'm going to see U2 in Cardiff with two friends. I'm going with one of them the day before so we can queue nice and early (probably start queuing around midnight). However, my other friend has an A-Level Latin exam on the morning of June 29th, and is getting a train straight to Cardiff which doesn't get there until 3.30pm - and doors open at 4pm. If I talk to the people around us in the queue and explain the situation and buy them food and drink, will they be sympathetic and let him push in the queue when he arrives? If his train's delayed and doors open before he arrives I guess there's little we can do - we'd have to save a place for him in the stadium, but because the bomb shelters presumably use some form of wristband system, it would have to be in the normal area, after queuing for 16 hours.

Any suggestions?

I've seen U2 a dozen times and everytime there was a situation like you explained and people weren't too happy to say the least. When you're in line for 10 hours and somebody arrives 2 hours before the gates open en he has a better chance at being up front it sucks big time. The idea of bringing drinks and food for people is very nice although it can be questioned for who you are gonna buy this. For people near you or also the people who are 7 feet behind you. (Could be quite an expensive day to say the least)It's a difficult situation and I'm sorry for your friend that that damn test is on "D-day"" but I don't think(considering the degeneration of the world and the attitude of people) that your friend will be allowed to go up front. Or you can just say: ëxcuse me, I'm the coolest MTF in the world and I decide who or what goes up front.":wink:

Good luck, sorry that I can only provide you with the problem not with the answer...

Take care

scrabble

Thanks anyway. I do have 3 spare tickets that I need to get rid of, so what I think we're likely to do now is sell two of them on eBay for the price of three and give the third to someone who wouldn't want to go otherwise, and then they can accompany my other friend so that he's not alone at the back and me and my queuing friend can get right to the front. It means selling on eBay but they're going for £200 per pair at the moment so £150 will seem like a bargain.

It's crazy how there are so many huge U2 fans in the world, but I can't find a single one of my friends (other than the two I already have) who will pay £50 to see them live.

Hmm...this later in line = better chance of beep thing is really interesting. Seeing as how, if my friend is gonna end up driving us up there, I'm not sure 5 am is his idea of "getting there early". Maybe 8 am is still good enough to get beeped in? Bah. I don't know what to do now.

Good thing I still have like 5 months to figure it out. :)

8am is still pretty early. At the shows I went to, the ellipse was like half full during the opening act, meaning half of the people that got beeped in came right up to the door at show time and got in. :shrug:

I got scanned into the ellipse in San Jose II and during the rush to the door, my friend and I had gotten separated by about 10 people or so. He was actually ahead. He ran to the floor to secure us a spot on the ellipse. I then "won the lottery" and the screen lit up. The guy asked me who I wanted to take with me and I told him my friend is already in there. He took my ticket then told me to go get him. When I was running back after getting my friend, I started to worry, b/c what if that guy didn't remember me. I don't know why he wouldn't have remembered me though it had been like 30 seconds, but your nerves are so high during this moment you start thinking like someone with obsessive/compulsive disorder. In my experience they will accomodate you. Just tell them.

OffAxis said:

I got scanned into the ellipse in San Jose II and during the rush to the door, my friend and I had gotten separated by about 10 people or so. He was actually ahead. He ran to the floor to secure us a spot on the ellipse. I then "won the lottery" and the screen lit up. The guy asked me who I wanted to take with me and I told him my friend is already in there. He took my ticket then told me to go get him. When I was running back after getting my friend, I started to worry, b/c what if that guy didn't remember me. I don't know why he wouldn't have remembered me though it had been like 30 seconds, but your nerves are so high during this moment you start thinking like someone with obsessive/compulsive disorder. In my experience they will accomodate you. Just tell them.

Thats why they should get rid of the lottery. Too much confusion do to hypotical situations that would separate your and your friends and your guest(s) you want to bring into the Ellipse.

Back
Top Bottom