MERGED --> Enough Rope interview discussion here + November it is!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the part where Bono says "I'm amazed, actually, that people have been so kind to us on the websites..."

It's almost official confirmation that he checks out Interference.

Funny you should say that. Not that I disagree with you; just that every other U2 message board I've been to today has said the same thing--"OMG, Bono must come here and read our posts!" :wink:

crossfingers.gif

Bono in Sydney said:
... but Bono categorically does not want to be seen to be slagging anyone in the world off cause he thinks that will get his work offisde with certain political groups.

Copy pasting your comments in different threads doesn't explain why precisely this is a bad thing when it is helping the extremely worthy cause that he supports.

aislinn said:

Funny you should say that. Not that I disagree with you; just that every other U2 message board I've been to today has said the same thing--"OMG, Bono must come here and read our posts!" :wink:

:hmm:

evieangelique said:

Copy pasting your comments in different threads doesn't explain why precisely this is a bad thing when it is helping the extremely worthy cause that he supports.

:up:

I'm so happy for our Aussie U2 family. Bono handled this situation with absolute grace and courage, reasons that I can say I love this band. He could have easily hunkered down in the South of France and let some pr flak issue a statement. Instead, Bono steps up and is completely honest and genuine in his intentions. So endearing to see that and it shows how much the band love their fans. And we should all give props to our moderators for not allowing inappropiate posts regarding the postponement because its sounding as if the band might be actually reading our forums and how awful would it be for them to read insensitive comments. Those are very isolated incidents, because honestly are there any better fans in the world than us U2 cronies? What are thoughts about Hawaii? I have two GA's and I'm hoping they will make it to Hawaii. If not, I'm just happy for our Aussie friends because they haven't seen them in so very long. I always have liked Aussies, and this just confirms that.

aislinn said:

I certainly wouldnt doubt that he would read this board on occasion. He's mentioned Interference by name in an interview before.

DiscoStu1980 said:
Please someone correct me if I am wrong (I haven't watched the interview a second time yet since watching it live) but the very last thing Denton said pricked my ears.

Did he say to Bono, "It's easy to talk"? as in talking about action but eluding to not getting results? It looked like Bono had a furrowed brow when they shook hands straight after it.

I'm not sure as I was pretty tired while watching but there was a moment or 2 when Denton was asking about the results of his work (easy for politicians to sign the cheques than to cash them) and Bono really didn't answer the question.

I have heard in the past Bono's elongated responses to such questions and understand fully his point where red tape is concerned with Politics.

Did anyone else get that feeling while watching it or is it just me and my sleepy self? ;-)

Just read the transcript on Enough Rope site and now see he meant something different in the context of the whole sentence.

In short, disregard my prior thoughts :wink:

Last edited:
Bono in Sydney said:
Bono came to Denton to do the interview not the other way around.

Bono likes to do one interview in every country that he goes to. Mainly to sell his idea of “No Debt, More money for Africa”

I have to agree with you here. I can see that he wants to use every opportunity he can to further the cause and that is great.

It is a pity though that Bono couldn't have relaxed a little with Andrew (who usually has such a great way of drawing out the real person from behind the public mask without then pouncing on them as some other interviewers do) and let us see another side of him. I really was looking forward to a more relaxed chat but I guess Bono knows what he wants to achieve and Andrew respected that if begrudgingly.

Am I alone in thinking "Enough Rope" sounds like like an awful title for a show? :huh:

The interview was good. At least Bono showed up. Given the circumstances, he could have left town and packed it all in, ala Axl Rose.

The idea of the title “Enough Rope”…is taken from the phrase enough rope to hang themselves…

Meaning Denton will ask questions that aren’t boring and give the interviewee scope to get into deep and meaningful issues

It is better and more inventive than “Larry King Live” or “The David Letterman Show” but what do you expect from the top television brass in New York?

angelordevil said:
Am I alone in thinking "Enough Rope" sounds like like an awful title for a show? :huh:

The interview was good. At least Bono showed up. Given the circumstances, he could have left town and packed it all in, ala Axl Rose.

Hey there angelordevil,

The idea for the title (at least my understanding) is pretty much in line with Andrew Denton's style of interviewing which is basically ask an interesting question then sit back and listen to the answer instead of hurrying to the next one. That way it allows the subject to elaborate and talk more about his/her response and hopefully reveal something that would otherwise never come out. Therefore: Give them enough rope...

I am a huge fan of this type of journalism (being one myself) and I think that Denton is by far one of THE best interviewers in the world.

On spec I can see the horror in the title. :wink:

Bono in Sydney said:
It is better and more inventive than “Larry King Live” or “The David Letterman Show” but what do you expect from the top television brass in New York?

A lot. Name one Australian show that has come even close to, say, Letterman.

You must understand Bono is just a spokesman for a movement with lots of others behind him making the decisions on how any money raised is distributed. No one is saying something is good or bad, better or worse.

Not quite sure if you have the intelligence to understand but I will try. Bono is just a front man for a “politically minded” group trying to raise money in the same way as other people are fronts for groups trying to raise money for aboriginals or tsunami victims or heart disease research or the Red Cross or the Salvation Army or Scientology.

So many causes, so little money.

That is the World’s problem.

angelordevil said:
:lmao: Andrew Denton has been making programs for Australian TV for a long time. He's done some wonderfully bizarre/brilliant?/important things. I was stoked to learn it was him that would be interviewing Bono. If I can't see U2 in Brisbane next week, seeing Bono last night was a wonderful surprise I wasn't expecting. I'm glad the weather has been so good for his family holiday..did I mention I love Australian autumns?

Bono if you're reading this :wink: when you come back with the band...program RAGE!! please
Bless your gypsy heart and may the U2 family be safe. Come back when you can....Australia loves U2
:yes: :up:

PS: my sweet daughter-in-law bought me the Chicago concert DVD yesterday ( maybe in consolation) I haven't seen it yet. I'm saving it up to savour on St Patrick's Day...Slainte :)

Bono in Sydney said:
You must understand Bono is just a spokesman for a movement with lots of others behind him making the decisions on how any money raised is distributed. No one is saying something is good or bad, better or worse.

Not quite sure if you have the intelligence to understand but I will try. Bono is just a front man for a “politically minded” group trying to raise money in the same way as other people are fronts for groups trying to raise money for aboriginals or tsunami victims or heart disease research or the Red Cross or the Salvation Army or Scientology.

Right now I'm wondering whether you and I watched the same interview. :eyebrow:

Bono in Sydney said:
Denton will ask questions that aren’t boring and give the interviewee scope to get into deep and meaningful issues

whatever.
maybe denton is a great interviewer, but he didn't get bono to say anything out of the ordinary.

PS: woops, the ? after brilliant was a typo.
Andrew Denton is brilliant, no question about it.

Bono in Sydney said:

:scratch:

you may need to check your anti-psychotic meds, dude--you might have missed a day.

since when is Bono raising money? asking for debt relief is not the same as raising money, and it is up to each country to deal with how increased cash flow will be used. many NGOs (non-governmental organizations) work to help put that money to use to build a more solid infrastrucure. bono has nothing to do with that.

i think you're confused :huh:

Last edited:
Ruffian – thanks for coming on here and being really nice?? You are a Ruffian. What is Debt?? It is Money? If you relinquish money/debt, You then can’t pay off somebody else. Don’t ever get into the bad habit of thinking money isn’t debt else you will blow your own Visa bill and someone will come and repossess that 102cm LCD Colour TV you are watching the U2 Chicago DVD on tonight.

Back
Top Bottom