MERGED-->Edge says "We couldn't top [the Vertigo tour]"+U2 to stop touring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Edge says "We couldn't top [the Vertigo tour]"

This worries me... if they can't stop the Vertigo tour, then what lies ahead in the future?

"The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," guitarist the Edge told Rolling Stone. "I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

Then what does the band do after this... club shows again? Or do they leave on such a high note? Or yet... do they break up?

There is already a thread about this is EYKIW.

Basically it's been decided that Edge was just talking about the US leg of the Vertigo Tour--they could not top it with more stadium shows in the Summer, etc. This quote is from an article about the Vertigo tour, if he had been talking about ending U2 as a touring band Rolling Stone would have made it a big story/exclusive.

Re: Edge says "We couldn't top [the Vertigo tour]"

theu2fly said:
This worries me... if they can't stop the Vertigo tour, then what lies ahead in the future?

Then what does the band do after this... club shows again? Or do they leave on such a high note? Or yet... do they break up?

None of that happens.

Just one fan takes it too seriously.

if you read the full interview, its aparant that he is just talking about how the tour has grown, and they wouldnt be able to top what they have done, i.e. if they brought the stadium version over to the u.s. it could never top the arena version, so he is happy to say bye bye to the u.s. for this tour

he never once mentioned U2 were quitting touring

Once again, selective editing and interpretation creates internet rumor BS. I dont know how many times I have heard U2 were done, retiring, etc... These stories happen every album and tour and have been since 1988. You read this whole article and as others have pointed out he didnt even imply they were done touring. But you know a year from now. Someone on this very board will probably say something like. "I thought Edge said they were done touring?" :shrug: :|

Could someone please post the whole f:censored:ing article, so we can get this over with? Please.

I just can't believe how blown out of proportion this has become. I just had a friend text message me all freaked out because he heard the band is calling it quits on his local radio station.
:scream: Someone make it stop! Please! :scream:

ImOuttaControl said:
Vertigo isn't even their best tour, of course they can top it.

Agreed. My guess is also that their next tour will be more like Zoo TV/Popmart than the last two tours. I think U2 is ready to go in yet another direction and I believe that will be a good thing. It's time to show the world once again who the biggest and best rock n roll band of all-time is.

Ideas? Well I'd love to see a full-blown spaceship float over the stadium, descend and drop The Edge off for the opening chords of their next tour. ;)

Or how about a televised U2 MTV concert just for teenagers.. surround a football field entirely with video screens (100 reel surround video slot machine anyone? hehehe), fill it with wild teenagers and blow them away with a REAL concert by a REAL band.. not that hip-hop garbage.

What he meant was "I don't think we could ever STOP it," as the tour is apparently going on foreeeeeeever!

:wink:

Utoo said:
What he meant was "I don't think we could ever STOP it," as the tour is apparently going on foreeeeeeever!

:wink:

That would be wonderful. I think I'd just become a T-shirt seller and live my life on tour with U2 :wink: :drool:

U2 to stop touring after Vertigo

I read on one site that Edge said:"Bono took things to a new level and i disagree with him. We're considering to stop touring after Vertigo"
He also told that Larry uses stopwatch to time Bono's speeches and if it becomes too long to stop him.
IS THIS TRUE????
(please God no)

The stopwatch thing is true... once Larry clocked Bono at about 15 minutes...

HelloAngel said:
Quotes are getting way too misconstrued lately.

It's amazing to see how stories get manipulated/twisted by the media as they move farther and farther away from the source material.

How can anyone of us be 100% sure of what's true and what's false? Why shoot something down when there is no way that any of us could know how accurate/inaccurate it is?

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
How can anyone of us be 100% sure of what's true and what's false? Why shoot something down when there is no way that any of us could how accurate/inaccurate it is?
because the quote given in this thread is not the actual quote from the interview, edge has never mentioned in any interviews that they are considering not touring again

This is the "Telephone Game." I whisper 'apple' in your ear and tell you to pass it on. By the time it gets to the end of the line, 'apple' has turned into "Edge says U2 will never tour again." And the worst part is that people believe it. :drunk: And the second worst part is that a million threads get started about it. :huh:

cypress said:

Or how about a televised U2 MTV concert just for teenagers.. surround a football field entirely with video screens (100 reel surround video slot machine anyone? hehehe), fill it with wild teenagers and blow them away with a REAL concert by a REAL band.. not that hip-hop garbage.

Am I the only one who thinks that all this hip-hop bashing is getting old?

In February, the band will launch Vertigo's final leg, which includes dates in Mexico, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. "The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," says the Edge. "From a really great start, it's just built and built and built. I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

"Bono's efforts have grown out of the band's political awareness," says The Edge, who in the wake of Hurricane Katrina assisted in the launch of Music Rising, an initiative to help New Orleans Muscians rebuild their lives. "But Bono has taken it to another level. It doesn't mean I agree with everything, but I do love the fact that it's like a new paradigm, a different equation altogether."

Re: U2 to stop touring after Vertigo

Pero said:
I read on one site that Edge said:"Bono took things to a new level and i disagree with him. We're considering to stop touring after Vertigo"

Ok, given how educated Edge is and what business savvy men they all are; any artist knows that if he actually comes out and claims they'll never tour again that they won't ever make money again either. And, personally, I don't ever see the words 'We're considering to stop touring after Vertigo." coming directly from Edge's mouth, so obviously certain people need to be a bit more careful with where they put quotations.

I heard Larry officially quit the band because when they formed in 1976, Bono said:

"Don't worry Larry, we'll come back to it eventually. We'll stick with Feedback for now, or maybe something cooler, but if the four of us are still together 30 years from now, we'll go back to being The Larry Mullen Band, I promice!"

Well, it's 2006 and they still haven't changed their name to The Larry Mullen Band, so Larry is pissed, and quit.

At least that's what I read on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom