MERGED-->Edge says "We couldn't top [the Vertigo tour]"+U2 to stop touring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mobailey said:
I wish I could stay to see the comments you guys will hurl at me but I gotta go make dinner! Hubby is home (hubby is the one who told me about the damn article in the first place!!).

I suppose I'm overreacting (is that one word?) anyway. I know most of you are just having fun.

Bye for now,
maureen

yea dont worry about it

mobailey said:

I thought this was a place to come and 'talk' to other U2 fans and DISCUSS all things U2.
It is. But the original Rolling Stone article is almost a week old. It already has been discussed.

And your thread was the umpth one about this subject, so people got a bit tired of it. And didn't react seriously. Nothing personal. :)

cypress said:

Agreed. My guess is also that their next tour will be more like Zoo TV/Popmart than the last two tours. I think U2 is ready to go in yet another direction and I believe that will be a good thing. It's time to show the world once again who the biggest and best rock n roll band of all-time is.

Ideas? Well I'd love to see a full-blown spaceship float over the stadium, descend and drop The Edge off for the opening chords of their next tour. ;)

Or how about a televised U2 MTV concert just for teenagers.. surround a football field entirely with video screens (100 reel surround video slot machine anyone? hehehe), fill it with wild teenagers and blow them away with a REAL concert by a REAL band.. not that hip-hop garbage.

Kids today like The Hip Hop. It is garbage. 99% of it is. But there is also lots of Rock Garbage, Pop Garbage, Metal Garbage(cough... all of it... OOOPS :|)... I am quite happy with U2 not being a 'cool' band to like. I used to regular on MySpace and I have seen LOTS of profiles and I have not seen ONE person with U2 listed as one of their favourite bands. Insane... but true. Im very happy with their posistion. Enough people love them that they can do amazing tours and keep putting out amazing albums... but yet it seems so spread out... i bet half the people at concerts only know the hits! which isn't bad, but there aren't many people obsessed with them like us!

I love you guys :love: my fellow u2 hardcores.

U2 won't stop touring. They have too much to accomplish. Bono needs U2 and they need Bono. if any of them want to keep playing music the same way they have, they need Bono. I don't even think a Bono solo project would work. Its U2... or nothing. They would work it out if things were at criticle mass.

U2Man said:
Could someone please post the whole f:censored:ing article, so we can get this over with? Please.

U2 Look Back on U.S. Success
Portland, Oregon, finale caps 118 sellouts worldwide Three songs into the last North American date of U2's 2005 Vertigo Tour, as lights raced around the elliptical stage and the band ripped into an electrifying take on "Elevation," hundreds in the Portland, Oregon, crowd held up homemade signs that read "Thank You." Leaning into a gaggle of young fans, Bono asked how many of the shows they had seen. "Twenty-four," said one. "Forty-two," replied another. The exuberant frontman beamed. "We've got kind of an Oprah thing going on here," he said.
Last year, U2 sold out each of their 118 shows worldwide, played before more than 3 million fans and earned more than $260 million, making the Vertigo Tour the year's second-biggest, behind the Rolling Stones. By the time U2 reached Portland on December 19th, the band had played eighty-two North American dates. Fans and critics rated them among the group's best ever, with eclectic set lists featuring early tracks like "Electric Co." and "The Ocean," and special guests, including Eddie Vedder and Bruce Springsteen.

In February, the band will launch Vertigo's final leg, which includes dates in Mexico, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. "The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," says the Edge. "From a really great start, it's just built and built and built. I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

In the course of the tour, Bono -- who was named a Person of the Year by Time -- found time to meet with President George Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan. U2 shows integrated Bono's politics, encouraging fans to sign up for his ONE campaign to end global poverty, and the singer also helped organize last summer's Live 8 concerts.

"Bono's efforts have grown out of the band's political awareness," says the Edge, who in the wake of Hurricane Katrina assisted in the launch of Music Rising, an initiative to help New Orleans musicians rebuild their lives. "But Bono has taken it to another level. It doesn't mean I agree with everything, but I do love the fact that it's like a new paradigm, a different equation altogether."

EVAN SERPICK

In February, the band will launch Vertigo's final leg , which includes dates in Mexico, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. "The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," says the Edge. "From a really great start, it's just built and built and built. I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

Stupid idiots, he's talking that he's glad the tour is nearly over, not about the band calling it quits. As usual the media loves the misquote things. And other lazy reporters love to pick them up and run amok with them.

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side and the truth.

Back
Top Bottom