MERGED-->Earplugs + Plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thee Kavorka said:

By that logic, people should where earplugs all the time.

live a little. if you go to one concert and lose your hearing... it must be genetic. otherwise, 20000 people would be suing U2 after every show.

I think this is a bit naive.

Of course, this was also my theory until my ears started ringing, and no it is not genetic. it is more random than anything else.

I am just saying as someone who has had damagge that it can happen to anyone.

I would rather play it safe, than live a little and realize the worst.

Plus the show sounds better anyway.

I was skeptical of ear plugs until I tried them last week. My ears were ringing after the 10/3 show and had improved by the next day, but I didn't want my ears to go through the same harshness two nights in a row.

I wore the plugs on 10/4 and loved them. Other than some minor adjusting, they were trouble free. I agree with those people that say you can hear better with them. They really do tend to filter out the noise. The only downside was that I could hear myself sing and how bad I was. :wink:

Hearing loss as a result of attending a rock concert is not genetic. It's about as non-genetic as you can get. It's an environmental stress causing the hearing loss, not some bad genes.

I go to rock concerts frequently. 3 years ago I bought a set of professional earplug. They cost me about 150 Euros, but they're worth every single cent.
The plugs I have are tailor-made especially for rock concert environments. The plugs filter out the louder frequencies. When people talk to me I'm able to understand them.
Where the music is concerned; no echoes and no high beeping guitar tones, but a chrystal clear playing band. I wore them at the shows I went to in Brussels and Amsterdam. They are great.
I can recommend them to anyone who go to rock shows frequently..

ouizy said:

I now have a very hard time going to sleep at night EVERY NIGHT because of the ringing in my head.

Earplugs should be worn at every show anyone goes to - no two ways about it - you cannot predict when tinnitus, or hearing loss will happen.

It could happen on one note!

An old family friend had tinnitus most of his life (got it during WWII -- from bomb blasts) and what he found helped with ringing/buzzing in his head was to have something elso going all the time. He most often used a little water fountain. It was never very loud, but it just gave him something else to focus on. And another guy I know who also has it keeps music going most of the time (but he still finds it very annoying sometimes). Perhaps that could be something to try.

I went to the 10/7 MSG (GA rail of the ellipse) and did not use earplugs--ears were ringing the entire next day.

Used a cheap pair of foam earplugs during the 10/8 MSG show (inside the ellipse front and center on the main stage rail). They worked fine. No problems and I felt fine the next day. Obviously the foam type aren't as good as the professional brands but these were a quick, cheap, solution.

I suggest using something either way.

Re: Earplugs

muh2o said:
I know it's been talked about here and there non-specifically, but anyone who has not tried wearing earplugs, should. I have been to a lot of concerts in my time, and finally after getting sick of not being able to hear after one, I decided to try them. I'm glad I did. Not only was there zero ringing in my ears after the show, but the clarity of the show astounded me. It was though I was listening to a soundboard recording the entire time. I heard every word, every musical note with pristine quality.

Try it sometime, if not for the quality, but for the safety of your hearing.

I've seen 6 shows this tour. 4 shows were without ear plugs. On 2 of these shows, the ringing was minimal (for one show I was high up and the other was outside). However, on the other two, there was definite ringing! I hated it.

So for these recent 2 shows, I got ear plugs. I adjusted them to hear well (without the sound being muffled) but so that I won't go deaf. It worked great. I left the concert with no ringing and loved it. Yet I still heard every word.

I recommend ear plugs - especially if going to a lot of shows. It may be unhip but it's better than going deaf! This is especially true if you are close to the stage or on the floor.

For those that worry about the hipness factor....remember it's not terribly hip to be going "eh? what did you say?" and/or having your ears ring/buzz for the next 60 years.

I went to the Black Crowes show last night at a small venue. My husband & I would have killed for some earplugs. I held my ear (plugged with finger) for some songs. Much better. Would have been tough to sit with both hands in ears all night.

Wondering where I will find some earplugs locally today for another show I have tonight. And for my 2 U2 shows coming up. Definitely would like to get my daughter earplugs, especially for the GA night. I don't need to hear Damien Marley loud, but U2, yes, I could try sans earplugs, no problem. I love it loud :rockon:

The website doesn't show the etymotics being available anywhere near me...

i have gone to several shows actually all the concerts i have been to over the years i never used earplugs. I have been on the rail most times and heard a little ringing the next day but then it was gone..

after the dc show this past thursday i had ringing the next day and still do today! I am real concerned I have hearing loss now...its a slight ringing in my left ear.

It may have caught up with me now...:sad:

I've never had ringing in my ears after a show ... I'm not sure if that means I'm lucky, or if my hearing has already been damaged in the past.

I seem to not have problems hearing in other areas of my life, so maybe I'm just lucky.

I know I should be wearing them, though. Especially as a musician who would like to keep being able to sing for years and years and years.

:reject:

this tour has definetly taken a toll on my ears. i need to give them a rest, I'm not going to anymore u2 shows this year so that might help out a little :wink:

Anyone find a difference between the foam ones and the $12 kinds mentioned. I see the more expensive one don't reduce the noise as much which may be a good thing. Also, it should be noted that the noise from the floor is 10X worse than from seats far away or side stage seats. I already had tinnitus and went on the floor for one show without plugs and would never do that again.

I’d defiantly recommend them for children and adults should have them handy just in case things get uncomfortable but I prefer to go commando. I prefer the full U2 sensation and don’t want anything separating the band and me. They don’t turn up the amps loud enough to bother me anyway but I have worn them for other shows. General rule: If amps are loud enough to make you feel like you are being punched in the chest or vibrate internal organs insert plugs.

I was in the Ellipse for Philadelphia 10/16/05. We wore earplugs during Damian Marley (even though he was really pretty good and we had a good time). The sound was still surprisingly good even with earplugs employed.

We took the earplugs out during U2's entire show and it really didn't sound so loud at the time. However, my ears didn't stop ringing for three days. It sounded like I was wearing tin earmuffs for about 72 hours.

My hearing is back now, but we have GA for Houston on 10/28. It will be earplugs for both Marley and U2. I still fully expect to have a great show and a great time.

i used the cheap foam ones for 10/14 msg. they work well and you can hear bono better (less bass and less echo)..only prob is it blocks out the fans which kind of ruins an atmosphere

corianderstem said:
I've never had ringing in my ears after a show ... I'm not sure if that means I'm lucky, or if my hearing has already been damaged in the past.

Me neither - and I've never used earplugs. Went to see Queen/Paul Rodgers at the Hollywood Bowl this past evening, and it was great. Outdoors, the sound has a place to go, so we didn't need earplugs (plus we were at least mid-way back). But The Black Crowes show was very loud. Guy in front of me had plugs, but it hadn't even crossed my mind to get any beforehand, since I've never used them.

And if anyone knows if there's a difference between the cheapies and the ones recommended earlier (Etymotic, Hearos), please post. I want to get something for my daughter. We have seats across the arena for one show, which will probably be fine. But if she gets a GA ticket with me for night 2, then, I want to have earplugs ready, just in case :rockon:

I wonder why it is necessary to play so loud so that people lose their hearing/get tinnitus, at all :hmm:

They have to use huge amps and supersonic sound systems for sound to fill auditoriums arenas and stadiums. I think some people's hearing is more sensitive than others. I'm not quite sure why it is necessary to turn levels so loud that toilets and floors and even seats are vibrating but if you care about your hearing I would recommend at least trying a good set of earplugs. It doesn't totally shut out the sound.

I only get ringing for a couple hours after the show; it's not even ringing, it's just like everything's muffled for a while. I'd like to try with earplugs just because I was shocked at how bad the sound quality was at my first show (5/26) but everyone was raving about how GOOD it was that I figured I must be missing something. :scratch:

I guess I was so used to bootlegs that I figured it would sound BETTER to be at the actual concert.

I've had tinitis since I was in my early 20's. At first it was a hassle; I'd have to have the TV on or listen to music on headphones to fall asleep. I wore earplugs for a while but the damage was done and eventually didn't see any point to it, plus over the years I didn't go to as many shows.

Now 10 years later I think I'm just used to the white noise/ringing. Don't have trouble going to bed any longer, although I don't usually go from having a lot of noise around to complete silence. I'm one of those people that tends to stay up pretty late.

My latest attempt at lowering the static in my head is antihistamines.

A couple of snorts of a nasal spray in the morning and a pill at night. So far this combo seems to have decreased the tinnnitis substantially.

Again, all I can say is that if you do not wear earplugs to EVERY show you go to, you have to be willing to live with the annoying consequence of having your ears ring for the rest of your life.

It is not worth it.

ouizy said:
Again, all I can say is that if you do not wear earplugs to EVERY show you go to, you have to be willing to live with the annoying consequence of having your ears ring for the rest of your life.

I've been going to shows regularly for 10 years, and I don't have any ringing. Are some people more susceptible than others, or does it just set in randomly?

Plugs

The foam plugs from CVS are filters and seem to work well. If you are an avid concert goer or musician, I recommend going to your ear doctor and getting custom ear molds made.

Mine cost $100 and it was the best $100 I ever spent.

They make a plastic mold of your ear and then you can choose a filter which blocks out a certain decibel level.

At most concerts wearing earplugs/filters makes the music sound BETTER. They filter all the high end crap out and guard against the vibrating lows.

Stuffing cotton or napkins in your ear will not work.

Back
Top Bottom