MERGED-->Did we ever find out why Willie left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The assumption has to be made that either something is wrong with him, or he has another project going on (and it is not the Stones.)

I do not htink someone woul djust give up controlling the lights and video for the biggest show on the road today and be able to see U2 play live every night.

And yes, that is the same Willie for We Will Rock You.

I am considering writing an email to him, as he has replied to me in the past, I am just thinking about how to word it...

i just hope to god that everything is ok in willie world, he seems like such a down to earth person, and a very very intellegent one at that, ouizy if you do e-mail and get a reply, please keep us informed :)

ouizy said:

I do not htink someone woul djust give up controlling the lights and video for the biggest show on the road today and be able to see U2 play live every night.

..Don't forget that Willie has toured with U2 over the last 16 year or so..... perhaps Willie experiences the job as work..... It's not a matter of just give up controlling the and video.... Willie is part of U2's creative and probably will be in the future...

He created the Vertigo show, he's been around for a while and now Smasher and Bruce take over the controls during the remaining part of the tour... In the meantime Willie can focus on new challenges that cross his path.....

..I mean, Willie's in his 40s or so, he's got great credentials.. I think he just wants to do other creative things instead of going through the same pattern of things every night.....

i'm in an anti-willie work mood so...

i sincerely hope there was no bad personal reason why willie left the tour, i've met him a few times and seems like a genuinely nice guy, but..

I hope he doesn't come back for the next tour. i don't think he brought anything new creatively to vertigo. he seems to have run out of great original ideas on elevation. maybe it is time for him to go away and dream it all up again. willie should only return with ideas as revolutionary as zoo, popmart, or elevation. vertigo's staging is not up to the standards that willie has set in the past. i think the creative team let the band down on this tour.

a colaborative break is needed.

Last edited:
I can testify Willie was in Toronto, he was outside the elipse, in front of me at Toronto III checking on the screens at the top, that apparently were malfunction.

bridonohue said:
i'm in an anti-willie work mood so...

willie should only return with ideas as revolutionary as zoo, popmart, or elevation. vertigo's staging is not up to the standards that willie has set in the past. i think the creative team let the band down on this tour.

a colaborative break is needed.

Willie followed what Bono had requested. The circular stage concept like the heart for Elevation was Bono's request. You have to do what your client asks for. I agree there could have been a few more tweaks to it than what were done. But the basic stage design/concept was done based on what Bono wanted. :shrug:

willie

Willie just wanted to get off the road, try something new and be able to spend more time with people close to him in his personal life.

willie

i meant to add this to the end of the thread about willie and hit the wrong button. can someone move it for me? im not a subscriber so i cant delete it and repost

thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom