MERGED --> Did anybody else get an email from total tickets to buy tickets now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, the site admin is telling us that even though scalping is ridiculous , a lot of sites are partnering with brokers because "they have to". Admin offers that since U2 does it, it's okay that they do it for less money.

It's exciting to know that this web-board is fully embracing U2's message of fighting for change by kowtowing to scalpers and helping them make money off of desperate fans.

As Elvis wrote "It may not be fair, but not everything is 'fair' in this world. "

No, it's not and this is where a lot of people joined organizations like Amnesty International through the promo of groups like U2. I'm thrilled to be a part of a board that believes in giving into the supposed "inevitable".

I've read both sides of this argument, trying to keep an open mind. While I respect the time, effort and money involved in running this site, Joel, and realise that in light of harsh realities, it is easy to lose idealism at times, there is one important part of your argument that is faulty.

You say that the service in question is an option for fans who were unable to attain tickets through legal means. True. BUT... the fact remains that the reason most fans cannot get tickets through legal avenues is because of the ability of unscrupulous scalpers to attain them through illegal means. If these "brokers" were taken out of the equation, there would be many more tickets left in the system, and hence, their "services" would not be required.

I realize that your refusing their sponsorship would not put a dent in their vast empire. But at least it would be a symbolic gesture, showing that you do not support their practices.

Also, re: ETS and other sites - I admit that I am not well-versed in the world of ETS, but don't they also include travel into the equation? I'm sure that if the dollar value of each component of their service were separated, the ticket portion probably would end up being considerably more than face value - but somehow, their service just seems less reprehensible.

I guess what I'm trying to say (in my long-winded manner) is that, despite the reasons you have given, it is still just plain wrong for a reputable fan site to associate themselves with illegal scalpers.

If I owned this site and a ticket broker offered me free tickets or a deal on tickets to host their banner hate to say it but Id do it.

No foul on Elvis, if thats the way he gets to the show so be it.

I can understand the frustration but there are those, like myself who were locked out so to speak on getting good tickets. $250 in my opinion is not a bad price. I am not justifying these scalpers but compared to other broker sites out there, it is reasonable. I knew that this was going to happen and I've been saving in my U2 fund for literally months so I have the money that I budgeted to see the show 'cause I do not want to miss out on it. These are just options for people, interference or total tickets from what I believe are saying that you HAVE to buy them. We're all here to make our own choices.

Chizip said:

eh I just think getting an e-mail from interference.com saying tickets are on sale now, and giving a link to buy overly inflated tickets before tickets have even gone on presale is kind of shady

people who are new with the whole ticket buying process and trust interference could make the mistake of buying there before trying to get them straight up

I agree it is a shady deal and the link should be removed. U2.com wants to know about these places and this place (Total Tickets, not interference.com) should be reported. I agree that I have the choice to buy tickets wherever I can find them but at least make me find the scalpers on my own....a link from a fan site in light of the current ticket sales events is questionable.

Elvis said:

... and you think U2 is in this purely for the fun of it?

One hundred, two hundred... slappin' em down

U2 has hired ETS to sell 'packages'... for A LOT more money, but basically all you end up paying more for are the tickets. This has happened tour after tour, and they arent the only band/artists that do it. It's sanctioned scalping.

I understand that brokers and scalpers are apart of the business, but what has happened on this tour has never happened before. My friends and I have always been able to get tickets within the first 10 to 15 minutes of shows going on sale for major markets like Washington DC and Philadelphia. The shows in Philadelphia were nearly impossible to get tickets for, despite the attempts of over a dozen friends who are all very experienced at getting tix for high demand shows.

The problem I have with brokers, businesses and ticketmaster itself, is the exchange of tickets before the show has even gone on sale. I think everyone who wants tickets for the shows should have to call, go through the internet or wait in line for tickets.

I honestly hope people will hold back and not buy these broker tickets, which will force the brokers to drop their prices, hopefully below face value if its the day of the show.

Back
Top Bottom