MERGED-->Complain about mtv's coverage here + Commercials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the first thing MTV/VH1 showed was the Black Eyed Peas... I knew it was all downhill from there.

Don't get me wrong, I like the group... I just thought starting out with the Macca/U2 lineup would have rocked (and gotten the show started right!)

I usually don't say this as well... but THANK GOD FOR AOL

I spent all day watching the London webcast... I appreciated the fact that it was uninterrupted music and messages :up:

AOL did what MTV and VH1 seemed very scared of doing... letting the music and event speak for themselves.

hippy said:
When the first thing MTV/VH1 showed was the Black Eyed Peas... I knew it was all downhill from there.

Don't get me wrong, I like the group... I just thought starting out with the Macca/U2 lineup would have rocked (and gotten the show started right!)

I usually don't say this as well... but THANK GOD FOR AOL

I spent all day watching the London webcast... I appreciated the fact that it was uninterrupted music and messages :up:

AOL did what MTV and VH1 seemed very scared of doing... letting the music and event speak for themselves.

:up:

Can I complain about the fact Live 8 "live" broadcast highlights has been delayed in Australia until Monday evening because fucking Wimbledon is apparently more fucking important. Arseholes :mad:

Channel 9
thebirdman.gif

Kerry Packer
thebirdman.gif

Wimbledon
thebirdman.gif

Wombles
thebirdman.gif

Strawberries and cream
thebirdman.gif

go to aolmusic.com, they are repeating all of the concerts for like 6 weeks

Chizip said:
go to aolmusic.com, they are repeating all of the concerts for like 6 weeks

Does it work today? Yesterday I tried watching it live and I could hear U2 but the pics were a slideshow. During Duran Duran the sound jumped.

MTV's coverage was appalling. Not just the cuts to commercials but also cutting off performances so the vjs could yap. The highlights show I saw on ABC was even more appalling. They cut off U2 just before Unchained Melody and they cut off Madonna just as Like a Prayer started to get good. I'd already missed half of Madonna during the AOL webcast and it was the only reason I suffered through the damn highlights show. Then I tried to watch the rebroadcast of the AOL webcast twice and both times the fucking thing freezes just before Madonna's performance. It's obviously a conspiracy. :rant:

beli said:

Does it work today? Yesterday I tried watching it live and I could hear U2 but the pics were a slideshow. During Duran Duran the sound jumped.

yeah i tried it and it works fine, how well it works probably depends on how fast your connection is though

if you have a slow connection be sure to go to the settings and tell them you have a slow connection

Cool. I love that everyone is bitching about the coverage. Even the media is getting in on the act.

I was annoyed that ABC did some cuts too, but it sounds like maybe they showed more music than MTV did. :wink:

Even the Dallas Morning News has an article about how atrocious the coverage was.

Why in the world did they have to interrupt practically every major act in the middle of a song to cut to the VJ's? It makes no sense, who in their right mind could think that was a good thing to do.

Pink Floyd reunites and in the middle of a song MTV cuts to two people to say how cool it is.:huh:

Commercials?

Forget the better performance... what is wrong with MTV/VH1? Commercials!!! In 1985, i believe they showed the concerts non stop, plus it was on the radio non stop. Now they cut off artists in Europe for commercials that aim to sell us products. If it were public service announcements that would serve a purpose then thats ok. But to make money is ridiculous. Now have to wait for the DVD.

thanks for allowing this vent.

hey people how bout letting these morons know what a travesty they made of this event... see my previous post in this thread.
let's turn these words into action! c'mon!

Let me tell you...

Yesterday I was pissed that MTV wouldn't show any footage of LIVE 8.. only 1 video per hour, and specials about africa with chris martoin and some other guys...

but today, Sunday, they're playing LIVE 8... they said it would be 11 hours of concert... but after ereading some things here and the set liest parties, I WAS SCARED...

so.. 12 pm today, I prepared my VCR with hope.... and GOD answered... MTV LATIN IS SHOWING THE GLOBAL FEED... no comercials... were an ahoure and a half into the show and NOT A SINGLE ADVERTISE OR COMMERCIAL... just those frome the SAME global feed...

so maybe YOUR MTV screwed you... we're getting BLESSED...

All of you did something yesterday, that you thought you'd never do... THANK AOL... I did it too
Well today, I'm doing I thought I'd never do... THANK YOU MTV :bow:

so, I've thanked 2 times.... AOL and MTV Latin :bow:

A friend of mine told me that at one point in London the cameras focused in on Paris Hilton in the crowd.

:no: :barf:

Like she gives a shit about Africa.

Too bad I don't have MTV Latin.

This may be a turning point for the internet. The fact is, if you wanted to watch the concert, you were on AOL, not MTV/VH1. Unfortunatley, I was on VH1 because the sound on my computer was fucked :| And I expected, you know, good coverage on TV. but now that my sound card is working...

I was at least happy with Pink Floyd. I thought, good, they're showing the whole thing uninterrupted...and then right around the solo of Comfortably Numb they switch the the dumb VJs, as if anyone gives a shit what they think. Yes it's awesome that Pink Floyd is reunited, that's more reason to SHOW THEM PLAYING. The one time they almost did it right they screwed up at the end. Christ.

Too many shit bands, not enough of the bands I actually cared about. Too many commercials. To many pointless interviews. Too many pointless comments. I do commend them for running the video they made about the G8 Summit and they got across the message fairly well I'd say, but the coverage of the music itself was shit. They cut off almost every act they showed. Half of the time they wouldn't even show an entire song. If they were smart, they would have had, say, MTV showing mostly Philly and VH1 showing mostly London with some switching to the other cities. I didn't care about anyone in Philly anyway but that's what I saw the most.

During the summer olympics opening show last year I planned my evening around seeing Bjork's performance only to have them cut to Katie Couric so she could deliver some urgent trivia about one of the athlete's childhood. It was simply appalling to me. I screamed at the TV and emailed the network. Live 8 took that to a whole other unbelievable level.

If you watched MTV on Dish Network then you had to sit through ads for diet pills and exercise machines all day. Very poor taste. And if you're suprised that MTV would be party to such a debacle than I have two words for ya.

Superbowl halftime

inmyplace13 said:
A friend of mine told me that at one point in London the cameras focused in on Paris Hilton in the crowd.

:no: :barf:

Like she gives a shit about Africa.

Yes, during the Velvot Revolver performance. She was posing. Surprised?

I hope everyone here has figured out how to access the ondemand Live 8 performances song by song.

Just go to AOL music, type in the name of the artist in the search box. Click on their videos box and pick the Live 8 song you want to see, they have a full screen option. Internet Explorer only though. It rocks.

MTV is a music channel?

i didnt realise, thought it was just the wankest channel ever, which shows pointless crap all day.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
ok folks here is the contact info for MTV Networks (owned by Viacom Int'l)

Here is a snail mail address for MTV:
Cable Television
MTV Networks
1515 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
(212) 258-8000

Viacom Int'l
Snail Mail address:

Viacom
1515 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
(212) 258-6000

Also, if you want to email Viacom (which I am gonna do) here is the email address for media relations: press@viacom.com

Hey we need to bombard these people with email and letters and phone calls and let them know what a travesty they made of this event.

Bob Geldof must be furious at the outcome of this tv coverage.!

I e-mailed mtv saturday. Wonder if I should send another to Viacom. It's too late for them to change what they screwed up but maybe they'll get the message that they're "style" of doing things lately makes me :madspit:

redcat,
Yeah email viacom! They own MTV and VH1. They should know what major fuck up they did and that the public was very pissed off for making this event into such a travesty!

I sent a long email to viacom last nite.:mad: :madspit:

MTV/VH-1's coverage of Live8 was HORRIBLE. I actually had a glimmer of hope that they were going to show the entire Pink Floyd set then lo and behold they cut out during the guitar solo in Comfortably Numb. I couldn't believe it!

Green Day's performance you had to catch in bits and pieces through the whole 8 hour broadcast. U2's performance I think they only showed two of their songs. Madonna's performance was cut off 2/3 of the way through.

Just useless chit-chat most of the time and so many commercials! I really at least expected the 8 hours to be commercial free even if it was going to be filled with lots of interviews, face time etc.

The only good point I can say about the coverage is they did a good job of getting across the message of what Live 8 was all about.

The U.S. gets the worst coverage of Live 8 all the major countries. Apparently they (Viacom?) thought this event was a low priority for Americans or generated low interest. A true sign of where our country is right now.

LA Times Review/Robert Hilburn

This was taken from the L.A. Times, 7/4/05 by critic Robert Hilburn (he's been around forever in L.A.)

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-notebook4jul04,0,7783746.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
Live 8's Safety Net
*AOL catches and conveys the action as MTV's coverage more than disappoints

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

Everyone knows MTV has long lost interest in pop music, so why doesn't the cable channel just admit it and leave the coverage of historic events, such as the humanitarian Live 8 concerts, to someone with respect for the music and its audience?

MTV's coverage of Saturday's event, designed to combat poverty in Africa, was beyond embarrassing. It was pitiful.

I was warned long ago to avoid overkill as a critic, but bear with me this time. Add "pathetic" to the list.
Watching it with others in the newsroom led to howls of disbelief as the channel kept cutting away from key performances, including the much-awaited reunion of Pink Floyd, for mindless chatter from the MTV hosts about, golly-gee, how exciting it was to have these acts onstage.

Was Kurt Loder, a rare MTV voice with an understanding of rock history, on vacation?

"This was an important concert, an important cause, and God knows how many millions of viewers turned it off early out of frustration," Steve Smith of Temple City wrote in an e-mail to The Times.

Jason McCartney of Santa Barbara complained in an e-mail about excessive commercials and cutting away from memorable songs: "Showing only a portion of Bono's introduction to 'One' and then cutting away to a commercial and not even showing the song itself."

The first of MTV's many misjudgments was basing its coverage in Philadelphia, one of the 10 Live 8 locales, rather than in London, the musical and spiritual heart of the day.

A second error was showing the same programming on MTV and sister channel VH1.

If the MTV brain trust understood the significance of the day, one channel should have broadcast the London show in its entirety live, starting at 6 a.m. Pacific time.

It could have then shown the entire Philadelphia show live on the other outlet and, ideally, run highlights from the other cities on MTV2 or in later broadcasts on MTV or VH1.

My plan may not have been perfect, but it took only 15 seconds to think of it.

So you know the MTV powers must have had other priorities in mind if they didn't come up with something similar.

Was doing it right too expensive for a company that has made billions off rock 'n' roll over the years?

Or did it just not care?

MTV's communication breakdown couldn't have come at a worse time for the channel's credibility, because it probably encouraged hundreds of thousands of rock fans to go to the Internet, where America Online did a spectacular job of presenting the Live 8 music.

The Internet service provider's offer to show the music free to anyone wasn't without its problems.

Because of hookup difficulties, I missed the opening moments of the London concert, where Paul McCartney teamed with U2 on the Beatles' joyful "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and Coldplay joined with singer Richard Ashcroft for a rendition of the Verve's haunting "Bitter Sweet Symphony."

After trying five computers,I located one that accepted the AOL live feed. From then on,the day was a treat. You really felt part of a global rock experience.

Not only could you watch the London show in its entirety, mercifully free of the gushing and self-promotion of the MTV hosts, but advisories on the screen also alerted you to what was happening simultaneously onstage in Live 8 concerts in Berlin, Rome, Toronto, Philadelphia and Paris.

At one point early in the day, for instance, you could read that Shakira was coming up in Paris, while Annie Lennox was on in London and Bon Jovi was taking the stage in Philadelphia.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize for nearly an hour that those alerts stay on the screen until you "refresh" the directory. I don't know how much good music I missed by not even checking in on Philadelphia because I didn't want to see Bon Jovi.

Once I noticed the refresh button, the day was a series of frequently exciting choices.

Did you click on London to watch R.E.M. playing "Man on the Moon" or on Berlin to see Green Day salute the majesty of the Live 8 cause with its version of Queen's "We Are the Champions"?

Later, Sting in Londonwent up against Roxy Music in Berlin.

Fortunately, AOL is already replaying all the concerts and plans to let you call up any performance on demand.

And how were the performances? Mixed, as you'd expect when we're talking about more than 150 acts.

Even on the London show, I'd have preferred fewer acts so that the better ones could have had more time onstage. Forget Dido, Keane, Joss Stone, Velvet Revolver, Robbie Williams. Give more time to U2, Coldplay, R.E.M., the Who, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd.

But at least Live 8 driving force Bob Geldof had a good excuse for putting as many bestsellers on stage as possible: the campaign to rescue Africa. He wants to show he's got public opinion on his side when the issue is considered this week by government leaders at the G8 summit in Scotland.

What's MTV's excuse for its sorry coverage?

It's a good thing it's a holi-day today. They've got time to think of answers before they start looking at their e-mails Tuesday.

matt_tx00 said:
MTV/VH-1's coverage of Live8 was HORRIBLE. I actually had a glimmer of hope that they were going to show the entire Pink Floyd set then lo and behold they cut out during the guitar solo in Comfortably Numb. I couldn't believe it!

Yeah wasn't that lovely, I actually thought we'd make it through one whole performance without inane commentary, but oh no. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom