MERGED--> chigago DVD details.... + DVD Cover + Frickin' Wicked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropean103 said:
I'm happy they put WHOLE 23 songs. It's a lot compared to elevation dvds (only 19 songs, it's really not enough). I was afraid that Hamish would cut some songs like an cat dubh/into the heart or mysterious ways (seems he hates this one). Or mayby he would cut some other stuff to do more variety between Chicago and Milan dvds. This man is unpredictable.

I don't think that Hamish cuts the songs out of the DVD, but that the band decides whether or not to include it. Same with Mysterious Ways at Slane. The band decided to cut it (from the main feature) as, in retrospect, they didn't think it would fit in the flow of the concert (between Streets and Pride).
From the look of it (full tracklisting and specs at http://www.u2tour.de) it looks promising.

Now, where's that Milan DVD, as the outdoor concerts need to be represented fully too. :wink:

Chizip said:
i still think they are fools for not waiting to shoot the DVD. the 9/20 chicago show was muuuuuch better than the may shows.

DAMN RIGHT, MAN!!!:up:

bcrt2000 said:
For Party Girl, perhaps there wasn't enough space on the DVD? I think they cut out "One" out of the Elevation Boston DVD because of that?

A regular double-layer DVD, which is used for this one, and was used for the previous U2 DVDs, holds 4 hours of full DVD-quality. Since the DVD will have 3 audio tracks (PCM, DTS and DD5.1), it will be down to about 3 hours... So the space is definately not the problem. Remember Boston was a double DVD too, so they could have put in some more:wink:

Anyone else think it is kinda cool that the DVD might have 'Wake Up' on it. Best intro to a U2 tour ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kakvox said:
Anyone else think it is kinda cool that the DVD might have 'Wake Up' on it. Best intro to a U2 tour ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they play Wake Up in Chicago on Leg 1 or was it 'Everyone'?

I'm not surprised about Party Girl getting cut. They also cut People Get Ready from the Boston DVD which also had a fan pulled up to play. Also, look at the Sydney 93 video, Tryin To Throw Your Arms was cut. What do all three have in common. A fan being pulled on stage. I think its a factor in why those songs are cut, but certainly not the only factor.

Blue Room said:
I'm not surprised about Party Girl getting cut. They also cut People Get Ready from the Boston DVD which also had a fan pulled up to play. Also, look at the Sydney 93 video, Tryin To Throw Your Arms was cut. What do all three have in common. A fan being pulled on stage. I think its a factor in why those songs are cut, but certainly not the only factor.

Hmm. I would say People Get Ready was cut because Stay was just *that* good. Tryin To Throw Your Arms...wasn't there the 'she's underage' issue there? And we have no real reason yet for Party Girl.

Also if you scour the internet I'm almost positive there's a quote from Hamish himself citing space as the reason for cutting tracks from Boston.

And the 5/9 show was better than the 5/10 show - I originally had heard that they were going to do the 9th instead. What happened?

i was at both 5/9 and 5/10 and thought 5/10 was better

plus there was a string of lights on 5/9 that was malfunctioning which wouldnt have looked good on DVD

Blue Room said:

It certainly is one crappy decision to make each time, though. I'd much rather see Laura play Party Girl than Pride or WOWY on the 20th DVD.

Last edited:
5/10 was the superior show to the two they filmed but Party Girl was great both nights for different reasons - on 5/9 it was spontaneous and cool for that reason (plus I'm shocked that Bono actually remembered the lyrics as well as he did) 5/10 was the full band version with Laura and that was wonderful to see all of the band interact with her - I'd be happy with both versions of Party Girl included as extras

U2 Slovenija also reported that the documentary will feature some footage from the Croke Park shows this summer... :drool:

i'm still holding out on party girl. just a thought, and things could have changed, but those of you at the may chicago shows remember the camera guys who hung out with the fans, interviewing etc before the shows. after the 5/10 show, one of them asked me to "tell my story as if last night didn't happen"...he then wanted me to tell the story as if 5/9 DID happen, but we got interrupted by local security and it went downhill from there. they may have changed their minds, but clearly u2's camp, at the time, was planning on including the 5/10 performance.

i mean, i don't really care either way, but it'd be nice to have a good video of it, just for myself. if it doesn't end up on there, you'd better bet i'm asking someone in u2's camp for a copy of it for personal use...

just a question, when i was at the first chicago show, a two guys with a camera came up to where i was sitting behind the stage... is this the 'beyond the tour' part? it may have been hamish or one of those guys. i don't know what hamish looks like. i would love to make my big debut in a u2 dvd...:wink:

Party Girl really needs to be on there!

......otherwise I can't have both the Party Girl and Bono sign my dvd. :wink:

Hamish would be in his control truck. Watch Boston from his view and you can watch an hour and a half of him gettin excited over changing cameras and doing an awful cover of where the streets ahve no name

the first chicago show, hamish was wandering around. we saw him around the ellipse. he was probably only in the control area for the nights that were filmed.

tommycharles said:

Also if you scour the internet I'm almost positive there's a quote from Hamish himself citing space as the reason for cutting tracks from Boston.

That was the reason. But how did they pick which songs would get cut? I think its a factor. Like I said, not the only one, but its something that gets considered with the final cut.

^^^ R.E. the Boston DVD, they cut songs because there wasn't enough space but saw fit to but a 20 minute making of on the disc instead??Personally I would have rathered a complete concert to ALL the extras.

Anyway, looks like we are getting a more complete concert this time around, thank God! If you work it out based on the info given (23 songs, set the same as May 10th up to Mysterious Ways, which is the 20th track), we can concluded that the show ends with ABOY, Yahweh and "40". This means OOTS and Vertigo 2 have been cut from the actual May 10th show, but that's not too bad because the show they've given is a more accurate reflection of setlist of the tour in general.

So if the above is true and there isn't much dialogue cut, I'm pretty happy with it :)

maybe if they cut out bonos yapping theyd have time for a lot more songs :wink:

Back
Top Bottom