MERGED-->Better Opener : COBL or L&POE + whats the better opener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw them open with COBL twice and LAPOE once. Love them both but I have to agree with the LAPOE crowd. COBL is great live but I liked it even better further into the set list

I actually liked COBL better as opener while listening to the boots but totally changed my mind in San Jose. Luckily we were treated to both as openers and LAPOE was sooooo much better. It is very cool when they walk around with spotlights to the sound of fighter planes overhead. Plus it rocked the crowd much more!

Love And Peace Or Else is fuckin' fantastic as an opener on the bootlegs...it's so dark and dramatic...

City Of Blinding Lights would have been my choice to open the album, but Love And Peace is unbeatable to start a rock concert. :drool:

Definitely ... Love And Peace Or Else !! :applaud:
After hearing it LIVE at the LA 1 show ...
I've actually started to like it alot more ... than I did ...
when I first listened to it off HTDAAB ...

I was actually in the COBL camp before I saw them on SJ2 and now I'm definitely in the LAPOE camp now.

For those of you wondering how it can be a good opener, all I can say is that it just works. I don't quite know how, but it just works.

I think COBL doesn't work as well b/c there is no climax to the song. The opening is beautiful, but the song never climaxes. It almost leaves you wanting more. It works great midway through the set though, keeps everyone going. LAPOE just has that awesome deep bass at the beginning and then has the distinct climax during the "or Peace" part to get everyone going.

Although, I think Zoo Station is the best opener ever. How cool would it have been if they would have actually followed their own setlist in SJ2 and did an encore with Zoo Station starting it. They come back out when it's dark and all of sudden you hear that ripping guitar slide. :drool: I want my Zoo TV.

I've seen both. LAPOE is far more dramatic. It really draws the crowd into the show.

Besides, saving COBL for later lets Bono pull a child on stage....

I have heard most every show since SD, I like COBL, but I have to agree that LAPOE is better to open the show. Even though I like COBL as a song better it lacks the energy to be a good opener. LAPOE has more power.

I think that a good opener would be All Because of You.

What do ya guys think?

I think that everyone is waiting for Vertigo with such anticipation that it would be better mid show, it would give it a real jolt. It is a great live song!

LPOE. Imo COBL is better in the middle-set, LPOE brings lot more energy. However I think U2 still haven't found what they're looking for :p (haha what original joke) They're both great songs but not such great openers like for example mofo, zoo station or streets. But... I haven't seen the show yet, only listened to several bootlegs- so what can I say?

My vote is for COBL. I also like the extended intro used for COBL when it is actually used as the show opener as opposed to later in the set.

I went to San Jose I and II. For San Jose I, the band opened with City of Blinding Light, and for San Jose II, Love and Peave or Else was the opener.

Starting the show with the band walking around the ellipse with the spotlight (during LAPOE) is pretty amazing!! A great way to start the show. And I agree that LAPOE rocks and sounds much better than it does on the album. Still, I think COBL is better opener: the builds up (a la Street), the lyrics ("I am getting ready to leave the ground", "You all Look so beautiful tonight"), and the confettis. And I think LAPOE works better later in the show, along with the "war-related" songs (LAPOE, SBS and BTBS). That's just my opinion.

Cheers,
-Cyril

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom