MERGED-->Best song of Live 8 + Live 8 Setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pink Floyd completely stole the show!

It was by far the best performance in Live 8 in my opinion.

U2 were great too, but Comfortably Numb ruined U2's intentions.

There were people crying in the audience when listening Comfortaby Numb...

And to all people that think think Pink Floyd's performance was crap just because they didn't move... HOW OLD ARE YOU!?!? Only children talk like that!! Why don't you go see Eminem or any Heavy Metal band if you like lot of movement!

I do realize Pink Floyd's place in history, but for me their just "okay". If U2 would have played their set in the dark it would have been just that much better, it was already outstanding but anyone who's been to outdoor shows knows the dark really complements the music.

U2 should break up for 20 plus years and have a reunion concert so U2 fans can cry at the concert. Hey Bono, go spit in Edge's face.:wink:

I was watching with some of my friends and we all thought Pink Floyd were boring as hell.
Thought the same myself.
Talented musicians yes but poor songwriters.
The highlight for me was The Pet Shop Boys singing 'Go West' in Red Square and thousands of Russians loving it.
A-Ha were class in Berlin as was Brian Wilson .
'Fix it' by Coldplay was ace and The Who really rocked.
Loved the Killers white suits.

I'm sorry, but Annie Lennox made this grown man cry - and surprisingly Madonna knocked it outta the park with 'Like A Prayer' - magestic, and truly moving...

If you weren't already a Pink Floyd fan, then the Live8 performance probably wasn't going to convince you. With the amount of hype surrounding this, people unfamiliar with Floyd would think the audience would be going absolutely nuts. Well, that's not the way Pink Floyd works. Their music is very cerebral, and almost all of it is slow. Sometimes it amazes me that they have sold in excess of 140 million albums since they are so outside the mainstream. Their back catalogue is extremely popular, and I believe there will always be thousands of teens (or 20 somethings) discovering them at any given time and being blown away. Their mystique is totally deserved and they hit a grand slam with their performance yesterday.

I loved U2's performance too. And McCartney's. I couldn't believe he played Helter Skelter. He doesn't play it very much does he?

Last edited:
Highlights of the show for me were:
The Killers - went off
The Who - Theres some grandads who can RAWK
Will Smith doing the "Fresh Prince Theme" - that was great :)
Robbie Williams - He was the only perfomer who left the stage!
Sting - All those old police hits rock
The black eyed peas leaving the stage :)

Disapointments include
U2- Boring. Vertigo was fun with the new intro but other than that it was a by-the-numbers performance that could have been SOOOO much better
Pink Floyd - Don't get me wrong I'm a huge floyd fan and when i heard they were getting back together i almost creamed myself but the perfomance was pretty bad, Gilmore was pretty terrible on guitar for him, he missed alot of the notes - screwed up a lot, it was like he hadn't rehersed at all, maybe it was just nerves i dunno. The thing i can't forgive him for though is missing my favorite verse out of breath "Run rabbit run!/dig that hole get the sun" I even noticed waters shot him a nasty look for that. :-(

Pink Floyd only stole the show because they had not played together in 20 years. Personally I wasnt all that impressed by them myself, but the ones that didnt at all impress me were Coldplay. Pink Floyd at least were doing quite well....Coldplay didnt do much for me.

Okay here we go, the highlights...

Sgt Pepper-Paul and U2
U2-Beautifull day
Stereophonics-very good performance
Annie Lenox-Why(beautiful)
Duran Duran-Wild boys(man I loved that :rockon: )
Madonna-embrace with the girl, like a prayer
Sting-Message in a bottle
Pink floyd-wish you were and comfortably numb(chillsssssssssss)

Dissapointing: COLDPLAY...what an underwhelming performance, unbelievable.

zwervers2 said:
Okay here we go, the highlights...

Sgt Pepper-Paul and U2
U2-Beautifull day
Stereophonics-very good performance
Annie Lenox-Why(beautiful)
Duran Duran-Wild boys(man I loved that :rockon: )
Madonna-embrace with the girl, like a prayer
Sting-Message in a bottle
Pink floyd-wish you were and comfortably numb(chillsssssssssss)

Dissapointing: COLDPLAY...what an underwhelming performance, unbelievable.

Haven't watched the full Coldplay performance, I nearly fell asleep......I'm really wondering why they didn't try harder to break it here.....It must have been a great opportunity for them. If Chris Martin really means he wants to 'conquer U2' he really has to do much, much better. U2 was waaaayyyy ahead of Coldplay on this day, and I don't even think they exerted themselves....

Just go to AOL music, type in the name of the artist in the search box. Click on their videos box and pick the Live 8 song you want to see, they have a full screen option. Internet Explorer only though. It rocks.

Relive Live 8 on demand.:wink: Way easier than sitting through live feeds of concerts.

U2Man said:

Haven't watched the full Coldplay performance, I nearly fell asleep......I'm really wondering why they didn't try harder to break it here.....It must have been a great opportunity for them. If Chris Martin really means he wants to 'conquer U2' he really has to do much, much better. U2 was waaaayyyy ahead of Coldplay on this day, and I don't even think they exerted themselves....

Glad to see we agree a lot...:wink:

From what I did get to see, loved U2 with McCartney and on their own; not a Pink Floyd fan per se, but that was just very moving and powerful for me, especially when Roger Waters said how emotional it was to be on stage with the rest of the band, and dedicated Wish You Were Here to those who were not there and Syd...; of the other performances, I thought Madonna's songs were all very good and that moment when Geldof introduced the young African girl that survived from 20 years ago & went into Madonna's performance. I saw the MTV/VH1 :madspit: interview with her and she said she had to try & keep her composure (trying not to cry) otherwise she wouldn't have been able to sing right then. Sting's performance was quite good as well. I'm not familiar with a lot of the newer / younger bands and didn't catch a lot of their performances. I did catch Audioslave this evening thanks to bcrt2000's thread info. Saved me time searching a ton of sites to find bands I missed. Caught a few other bands that had no coverage whatsover. Seems there was nothing on the AOL site for The Cure or Duran Duran, which might have been interesting to see. I'm sure I'll see it one of these days.

BTW, my radio station was playing Live8 highlights on Sunday evening. I was driving home and by chance, the dj plays U2. Plays the intro speech that led to 'One' and the song with 'Unchained Melody'. I felt the tears coming on, but had to try & control it, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see my way home. Quite moving... Great job Bono (speech) and U2!

Back
Top Bottom