MERGED-->Best song of Live 8 + Live 8 Setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One - U2 was THE outstanding moment for me, Snow Patrols second song was stunning,also. Don't think there was a bad performance throughout the day. Even acts I've never really taken much notice of in the past, But thought Elton John made a big mistake allowing that Doherty to butcher T.Rex classic Children of the Revolution

U2 - Of course

The Killers - the beggining was amazing

Keane - they steped up to the challenge and were amazing... Bedshaped RULES

Pink Floyd - Confortably Numb was awesome

Neil Young - haven't heard him, but I'm sure Rockin In th efree World was great

Green Day - We Are The champions was incredible.. Billie Joe managed to hit the notes :ohmy:

as for a NEW STAR RISING like U2 in 85, I'd (me) say Keane... specially for me. with The Killers Nº2

as for show stealer... of course it has to be PF... that was THE show to watch/hear tonight... media hyped and stuff.

overall, the biggest thing I'll ever see in my life... can't wait ofr the DVD

I agree The Killers and Keane were to unexpected highlights of the show for me.

Annie Lennox got to me as well. She was really great.

The odd dark horse that I never imagined liking was Linkin Park and Jay-z! :eek: I could do without the Jay Z, but Linkin Park were really good. I was really impressed.

The topper of all for me had to be Sgt. Peppers. It was just so fucking cool! The only thing that would have made it better would have been if Lennon was there, but alas we know that won't be happening soon.

Amazing show.

Sgt Pepper was amazing.

One brought tears to my eyes.

Floyd was brilliant. Those guitar solos made my jaw drop.

Other highlights:
Madonna, suprisingly sounded good, especially Ray of Light. Sting, still has that beautiful voice. Green Day, loved em. Oh, and I liked Linkin Park/JayZ. I am amazed how tight they sound together.

any of the U2 songs or:

i dont like mondays (by boomtown rats)

time is running out (by muse)

amniar said:
There wasn't really anyone who underperformed, but some were better than others, such as The Killers and the Stereophonics.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Ms. Dynamite and I couldn't really care to pay much attention to Razorlight's set (although I later heard they were pretty good).

U2 without a doubt. Nobody beats them live. Not even Pink Floyd. As far as I could see there wasn't any U2-1985 in these shows among the young bands. U2 still reigns.

I was at Hyde Park and it was amazing. :up:

Highlights for me were:

U2 - One
Keane - Bedshaped
REM - Everybody Hurts
Annie Lennox - Why
The Killers - All these Things I've Done
Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me
Sting - Message In a Bottle

and of course Pink Floyd!!!!
Shame a lot of people had to leave way before they even came on stage to catch trains. I had to leave as soon as pink floyd finished so I missed the end, will have to wait for the DVD! :)

Annie Lennox's 'Why' - it was the only performance which made me stop dead in my tracks and listen.

celia said:
I was at Hyde Park and it was amazing. :up:

Highlights for me were:

U2 - One
Keane - Bedshaped
REM - Everybody Hurts
Annie Lennox - Why
The Killers - All these Things I've Done
Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me
Sting - Message In a Bottle

and of course Pink Floyd!!!!
Shame a lot of people had to leave way before they even came on stage to catch trains. I had to leave as soon as pink floyd finished so I missed the end, will have to wait for the DVD! :)

We left during Robbie Williams - we had to, or we would have missed the trains.
Missed U2 too - we weren't let in in time :sad:
It really made me laugh how the song which everyone seemed to be loudest on was Bon Jovi's 'Living on a Prayer' :lol:

Last edited:
I am going to drop a bomb but...
I was watching with some of my friends and we all tought Pink Floyd were boring as hell.. :reject:
but hey, if everybody else enjoyed it good for you..

The best for me was u2, Macca, Annie Lennox and I was really surprised with Kanye West..

Pink Floyd does nothing for me, lol.

Madonna, surprisingly, was my favorite performance of the day although I missed Ray of Light. I've been trying to play the AOL rebroadcast and twice now the damn thing just freezes right after Snoop Dogg which is right before Madonna. :scream: Then the stupid ABC highlights cut her off just as Like a Prayer was getting good. Anybody know where I can find a video clip of her entire performance?

patske said:
I am going to drop a bomb but...
I was watching with some of my friends and we all tought Pink Floyd were boring as hell.. :reject:

I grew up with Pink Floyd (as in, I was in high school when they were putting out records) and they were boring as hell then, too, lol.

Pfew.. Thank God I am not alone..
I tought I was going to be crucified but instead I woke up the floyd haters.. ;)

Pink Floyd were brilliant... history in the making.

Comfortably Numb the highlight of their set for me..because I didn't think they were going to play it.

I was a hardcore U2 fan for almost two decades, but the Floyd have surpassed U2 for me... due to their significance, depth and quality of work.

I don't believe Pink Floyd has been equalled by anyone before or since in rock.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I don't get the Pink Floyd admiration either. Just have never cared for them.

However, it was really cool to see their fans so excited for a reunion, and I could appreciate the significance of it, so I stopped what I was doing to watch "Money" on ABC. I was kind of hoping ABC would show "Comfortably Numb," since I rather like that song, but unsurprisingly, they didn't show it.

Pink Floyd were crap! i was bored ridgid by their performance they must have played about 10 songs. The Who were exactly the same. Paul Macca was crap, his voice has completly gone, and he was milking the beatles success so hard he turned it to butter.

needless to say U2 were the best; followed by Robbie Williams, Stereophonics and REM.

and the crowd parcipitation was disgracefull, the only time they were properly involved was for Robbie W.

Am I the only one here who didn't like the Sgt. Peppers opening? - it's an awful song, and sounds like it was written by a 5 year old. Probably my hatred of McCartney that's fuelling this though, so just ignore me!

Anyway, highlights for me were The Who, PF, Madonna, Killers, and obviously 'One'. Just wished they hadn't played Vertigo! - after seeing it played 6 times at the 3 shows I've been to in the last fortnight, I'm (nearly) sick of it. I'm surprised U2 aren't by now either!!

"One" was amazing - the rest of the family thought I was really strange when I got really excited as Bono sang "Do you hear us coming, Lord?", but hey, they'd been dropping that bit recently, and it was the best part of the song. So I was very happy.

I don't get the fuss over REM - I think they're an excellent band, but this performance (especially IOL) was not so great. Those "Cool!"s in Man on the Moon were horrrrrrrible.

mo786 said:
REM are my 2nd fave band but they were not as good as I expected today - what the hel lwas that facepaint? does he do that normally?

Hi - yes, i have seen pictures of him doing that at other shows. Think he copied Boy George (just kidding). REM is also one of my favorite bands (up until the New Adventures in Hi FI). Interesting they were in Europe and not the U.S. but they are more popular there now.

Live 8 Setlist?

does anyone have the full live 8 setlist (at least for london and philly)?

thanks

London:-

# Sir Paul McCartney and U2:

# U2

# Coldplay: & richard ashcroft

# Sir Elton John: & duet with pete doherty

# Dido & Youssou N'Dour:

# Stereophonics:

# REM:

# Ms Dynamite:

# Keane:

# Travis:

# Bob Geldof:

# Annie Lennox:

# UB40:

# Snoop Dogg:

# Razorlight:

# Madonna:

# Snow Patrol:

# The Killers:

# Joss Stone:

# Scissor Sisters:

# Velvet Revolver:

# Sting:

# Mariah Carey:

# Robbie Williams:

# The Who:

# Pink Floyd:

# Sir Paul McCartney:
# Macca & George Michael
# More Macca

if bono was to just stand there for 2 hours with a guitar, then there would be murder going, but pink floyd do it and its cool? lol

Back
Top Bottom