MERGED --> Anyone here go to the 4/29 Vancouver show? + Vancouver GA caution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
man this is the exact same scenario that happened to my wife and I for GA for the show on the 28th. My wife couldnt handle it anymore and was pulled by security around bullet the blue sky...for me personally it wasnt much of a problem being 2nd row from the rail...she just went and got some water and then went to the back...

like I said, I will never do GA again like that...the band should go back to what they used to do and put seats...its all about the $$$. read Larrys interview on the main site and it speaks volumes...

mr_perfect said:
man this is the exact same scenario that happened to my wife and I for GA for the show on the 28th. My wife couldnt handle it anymore and was pulled by security around bullet the blue sky...for me personally it wasnt much of a problem being 2nd row from the rail...she just went and got some water and then went to the back...

like I said, I will never do GA again like that...the band should go back to what they used to do and put seats...its all about the $$$. read Larrys interview on the main site and it speaks volumes...

You know what? Some poeple, LOVE the floor. There are some people that like to party and rock it out on the floor. There at over 18,000 seats in most arenas if GA isnt your thing.

Also to say it is about money seems dumb, because if the floor was actual seats they could easily charge $200 per seat.

I was just left of center on the rail at Vancouver 2 and the pushing was very very intense. I saw loads of people being taken out. I've done GA at a few U2 shows and not experienced anything that bad before. I missed half the songs as I was too busy focusing on hanging on to the rail & keeping my spot which I'd waited since 6am in line for.

From what I can tell it was just a few people that were causing the trouble (about 4 people were removed close by). Next to my friend was a family with a couple of young girls. They'd been in line since about 4am. From previous experiences, I would have thought they'd been Ok, but there was one asshole behind us that was more concerned about being on the rail than scaring the crap out of little kids by crushing them as much possible. The kids family were doing their best to protect them but about halfway through, one of the girls got carried out, obviously terrified.

I love the GA experience mostly, Seattle 1 GA was fantastic and prooves that you can still rock out and party on the floor without making life miserable for those around you. I will do GA again despite Vancouver 2 show. I almost feel that as I survived that (allbeit being battered & bruised), I can survive any GA experience.

I do think that Vancouver 2 GA experience was an exception rather than the norm for U2 shows. It is an amazing experience normally.

neutral said:
I read about the Vancouver situation in another thread and it's gotten me scared/nervous for my show next weekend. :sigh:

Am I going to have to slap you around and tell you to calm down right before we go in?

:wink:

I think I moved almost ten feet from my original spot and had over ten people in front of me who weren't there halfway through the show. Generally, most people are civil and respectful of one another but those bad apples cause so much disturbance by pushing and shoving that it affects everyone.

Boosterjuice, I'm sad to hear your wife didn't too to well near the end but I'm happy that your group got to stay together and was relatively close for the show.

Wow, this thread has made me a bit concerned about the GA situation. I have GA for one show. My plan is to get there late and either get in the ellipse or stand at the back by the sound desk. I'm 6' 2", do you think there will be pushing back there and will I have any problem seeing from that vantage point?

CPTwister said:
Wow, this thread has made me a bit concerned about the GA situation. I have GA for one show. My plan is to get there late and either get in the ellipse or stand at the back by the sound desk. I'm 6' 2", do you think there will be pushing back there and will I have any problem seeing from that vantage point?

Nah, you'll be fine! Plenty of room to get your groove on and you'll be able to see just fine as well. Don't worry!

UKTAN, you were at the VAN2 show???? I probably saw you in the lineup. Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet you in person.

But let me not give a negative impression. I had the utmost time of my life at the show! There was so much excitement. I loved the GA experience. I just don't want to see people from this forum (or anyone) being carried out in a stretcher.

boosterjuice said:
UKTAN, you were at the VAN2 show???? I probably saw you in the lineup. Too bad I didn't get a chance to meet you in person.

But let me not give a negative impression. I had the utmost time of my life at the show! There was so much excitement. I loved the GA experience. I just don't want to see people from this forum (or anyone) being carried out in a stretcher.

I was indeed there :D. I was number 18 in the GA line..got there about 6am. I wish I'd known you were going...I'd have looked out for you :). We probably passed each other several times during the day lol. Glad you still managed to enjoy the show to some extent...personally, I can't wait for the bootleg so I can hear the bits I missed lol.

UKTan, your icon is fabulous! *waves from across the ocean*

I was in the back at Vancouver 2, and while there wasn't a lot of pushing, there were a lot of people walking back and forth. I had plenty of room to pogo as much as I wanted without jumping on anyone's toes, though.

UKTan said:

I was indeed there :D. I was number 18 in the GA line..got there about 6am. I wish I'd known you were going...I'd have looked out for you :). We probably passed each other several times during the day lol. Glad you still managed to enjoy the show to some extent...personally, I can't wait for the bootleg so I can hear the bits I missed lol.

Too funny!

When do bootlegs typically become available and where do you get them?

Check out the Audio/Video thread in the tour area of Interference. When it pops up online, it's announced over there.

corianderstem said:
UKTan, your icon is fabulous! *waves from across the ocean*

I was in the back at Vancouver 2, and while there wasn't a lot of pushing, there were a lot of people walking back and forth. I had plenty of room to pogo as much as I wanted without jumping on anyone's toes, though.

:wave: Why, thank you :)

Btw, I saw you popped into chat yesterday, I was away watching a bit of TV lol...must have just missed you :mad:

You still all u2'd out?...I'm not as tired and aching today so I feel ready for the next show...anytime now would be fine :)

Personally, I wouldn't want to be at the back of GA...apart from not being able to see much, I do like to be in the crowd, as long as they are not being stupidly aggressive...ppl jumping up & down and waving their arms around, I have no problem with. At the back, I think I'd feel a little too kinda exposed and have too much space.

No one was saying anything in chat, so I felt dumb and left. :wink: I'll be back, though.

I'm a little U2-ed out, with some post-concert letdown. I'm all caught up on my sleep, though, so that's a good thing.

I spent yesterday copying the Seattle show recordings for all my coworkers who were at the show. They were thrilled when I put the CDs into their hands today. I love spreading the love.
:wink:

boosterjuice said:

Too funny!

When do bootlegs typically become available and where do you get them?

Most of the bootlegs are being made available very quickly...already got Vancouver 1 today. I seem to remember you're into getting lossless versions so, as Corianderstem said, its best to check the Audio/Video forum...if u'r after mp3s, I am hosting them on my website (www.u2online.co.uk). Just adding Van1 now. Feel free to download if you're interested. Get in quick though, bandwidth is an issue lol :)

I was also at all the shows and Van 2 was definitely violent.

I went to Sea1 and SJ2 in GA and none of the shows were like Van2.

Van1 was a bit pushy but nothing like Van2.

People were being pulled out who were causing trouble and I saw at least 7 girls being taken out who were overcome and needed to get out.

I was with UKTan and next to the parents with the kids and felt so bad for them. I had even told them that a U2 show wouldn't be bad and that the crowd would be fine.
Boy was I wrong. The poor kids. The dad tried to take care of them but one asshole just kept pushing us. I had to hold on to keep my place and I am covered with bruises.

Anyway... its a shame Van2 was so bad because it distracted us from the entire show. Makes me re-think my GA for Toronto...are Canadiens so bad?

I hope that other shows aren't like this because I think Bono did notice that it was a tough crowd because he did not come out as much as he normally does.

Made it into the ellipse for this show, but never had a clue about the stuff going on outside of it. I had a blast! Bono gave my wife a flower after he sang Into the Heart sitting down right in front of her.

I arrived at 7:40 pm and there was not a soul around the floor entrance to the arena. Wife and I just walked in and BINGO!!! We were flipping! Just crazy.

Sorry San Fran and Tan, but we couldn't get to the arena any sooner since my parents were not free to babysit for us till 7pm. :(

I was on the floor for Van 1 and in section 108 for Van2.

We were slightly left of center and about 30 feet back from the rail. It was definitely tight and hot. 90% of the people around us were great. The other 10% were jerks. I can see how things might have been tough up at the rail.

I wish now that I had just walked to the back and hung out by the sound desk. I probably would have seen more of the show. I'm only 5'10" and I couldn't see much except for when Bono came right out on the Ellipse.

I'm really glad that I shelled out for good seats for Van2. I now know what the show looks like!

You bastard Rollie!!! I can't believe you got in!!! Grrrr.....
5 shows and not diddly squat.... Well there you have it. You arrive late and get into the ellipse. I think I'll do that for Toronto!

I'm sad we didnt meet. Me & Tan were looking for you all day. I'm so happy you guys had a great time. Maybe next time we can actually meet face to face.

I am still seething jealous though that you guys got in!!
See you soon in chat... (if they ever get it back up!!)

boosterjuice said:
Roland, what show was better, Van1 or Van2?

I'm not Roland, but I'm gonna go with Van 1. Bad, Gloria, and a very meaningful One. Van 2 was very good, but had some awkward moments and Bono didn't appear quite as into it, probably worried about the GA's against the rail.

It was pretty flattering when Bono mentioned how they hated to leave "Beautiful Vancouver, a city that is living Dr Kings dream".

I agree with olive Van 1 was better than Van 2 for same reasons. SYCMIOYO was sang much better more intimately the first night than the second night too. Bad, Gloria and more emotional One plus I thought the sound was a bit better on the first night too. But don't get me wrong, both shows were fantastic.:wink:

Way to go, Roland on getting to the ellipse. Was that you trying to shake Bono's hand during Into the Heart or your wife? I was in the 2nd row behind Edge's piano watching from above. Good for you!

Last edited:
Note to self and whomever else is paying attention:

Girls who are overly aggressive like that will ruin the future chances of someone who truly deserves to dance with Bono.
*i.e. ME*

:angel:

Back
Top Bottom