MERGED-->ALL Rumored 4th leg of the tour DISCUSSION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
More hints on the 4th leg of the tour

From U2tours.com

Two pieces of good news coming out of the shows this week in Los Angeles:

1) One of our @U2 friends heard Paul McGuinness telling a fan that U2 will play Australia and Japan in 2006. (Thx R)

2) Fans who spoke with Tour Production Manager Jake Berry were told the 4th leg of the tour will be announced as soon as next week. (Thx GP)

:hyper:

Great news indeed........(BUT WHAT ABOUT S. AMERICA, HONG KONG, SOUTH AFRICA, ISTANBUL, MOSCOW and MEXICO CITY for gawd sake........!???) :wink: :mad:

I think we'll see a full blown stadium tour next year. I just hope our friends in Australia get a Vertigo show.

Does U2 release a new album or EP to tour with????

Dragonfave said:
Great news indeed........(BUT WHAT ABOUT S. AMERICA, HONG KONG, SOUTH AFRICA, ISTANBUL, MOSCOW and MEXICO CITY for gawd sake........!???) :wink: :mad:

We had news/rumor on this yesterday. Check the Tour news forum.

Yeah apparently it's almost confirmed that they are coming to Mexico City, Monterrey and their is a slight chance that also Guadalajara however the newspaper mentioned that for Mexico City the Foro Sol (same one used in Popmart) was going to be the venue, so my guess is they are bringing the European Stage which is the most obvious choice for monetary reasons

I would imagine that a tour of S.America (which is practically confirmed) would suggest that Australia and the Pacific are definately going to happen?? Trust me.. I can feel it in my water.

As reported above, Paul McGuinness told a fan at Tuesday's show that they will tour Australia and Japan in 2006. There's no way he would say that to a fan unless it is set to happen.

Going back to last March 25th outside the rehearsals in L.A., Bono told my girlfriend who is from Sao Paulo that they will tour in Brasil. He told her it was just a matter up getting it all negotiated.

Last edited:
Concert Details January 27, 1998: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil @ Nelson Piquet Autodrome
Concert Details January 30, 1998: Sao Paulo, Brazil @ Morumbi
Concert Details January 31, 1998: Sao Paulo, Brazil @ Morumbi
Concert Details February 05, 1998: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium
Concert Details February 06, 1998: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium
Concert Details February 07, 1998: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium
Concert Details February 11, 1998: Santiago, Chile @ Estadio Nacional
Concert Details February 17, 1998: Perth, Australia @ Burswood Dome
Concert Details February 21, 1998: Melbourne, Australia @ Waverley Park
Concert Details February 25, 1998: Brisbane, Australia @ ANZ Stadium
Concert Details February 27, 1998: Sydney, Australia @ Football Stadium
Concert Details March 05, 1998: Tokyo, Japan @ Tokyo Dome
Concert Details March 11, 1998: Osaka, Japan @ Osaka Dome
Concert Details March 16, 1998: Cape Town, South Africa @ Greenpoint Stadium
Concert Details March 21, 1998: Johannesburg, South Africa @ Johannesburg Stadium

Halup said:
As reported above, Paul McGuinness told a fan at Tuesday's show that they will tour Australia and Japan in 2006. There's no way he would say that to a fan unless it is set to happen.

Going back to last March 25th outside the rehearsals in L.A., Bono told my girlfriend who is from Sao Paulo that they will tour in Brasil. He told her it was just a matter up getting it all negotiated.

Well in elevation he also said they were going to Australia however negotiations fell through, let's hope this time they can cut a deal

babyman said:
South America, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the circle around Vertigo is closed

South Africa doesn't exist, does it?

GibsonGirl said:

apparently not:wink:

well of all the places they visited in the past, South Africa is the place that has less possibilites, let's hope they can push this tour to all those places including South Africa

Mofo said:

Well in elevation he also said they were going to Australia however negotiations fell through, let's hope this time they can cut a deal

I don't recall Paul McGuinness publicily stating their intentions to take Elevation to Australia, even though it was their original intention.

As originally planned, the Elevation tour was going to last until January or February 2002 with the tour ending in South America, following late November-December dates in Australia and Japan. This was told me to by John Sampson in April of 2001. Also, the original tour programs stated on the cover Elevation 2001/02.

After this, they intended to do a European stadium tour in July-August 2002, going as far as lining up dates and stadiums and having the crew hold open this time in their schedules. Beyond crew members telling fans about the 2002 tour, there never was a public announcement of their potentially touring Europe in 2002. After they pulled the plug on the tour right after the Grammy awards in 2002, Paul McGuinness then made an announcement stating there never was a tour, that they had only made some inquiries, in case they had wanted to tour.

GibsonGirl said:

There would be nothing more appropriate than U2 returning to South Africa on this tour, considering the major theme going through it.

I really hope that when Bono speaks about Martin Luther Kings America to Nelson Mandelas Africa, that they take this tour all the way to Africa.

Even if they had to take a financial loss to play in South Africa, they should justify doing it. They have made so much profit off this tour in 2005, so that should easily offset potential losses.

You're right they never made a public announcement, but the plans were there at least for Australia and they were not shy about saying there was a posibility of going, I asked Paul McGuiness at the Houston Concert back in 2001 about the possibility of coming to Mexico, and he just smiled and said they were looking into it.

Mofo said:
You're right they never made a public announcement, but the plans were there at least for Australia and they were not shy about saying there was a posibility of going, I asked Paul McGuiness at the Houston Concert back in 2001 about the possibility of coming to Mexico, and he just smiled and said they were looking into it.

Yes, there was a lot of effort put into trying to pull of Elevation/Australia.

theu2fly said:
Concert Details January 27, 1998: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil @ Nelson Piquet Autodrome
Concert Details January 30, 1998: Sao Paulo, Brazil @ Morumbi
Concert Details January 31, 1998: Sao Paulo, Brazil @ Morumbi
Concert Details February 05, 1998: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium
Concert Details February 06, 1998: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium
Concert Details February 07, 1998: Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium
Concert Details February 11, 1998: Santiago, Chile @ Estadio Nacional
Concert Details February 17, 1998: Perth, Australia @ Burswood Dome
Concert Details February 21, 1998: Melbourne, Australia @ Waverley Park
Concert Details February 25, 1998: Brisbane, Australia @ ANZ Stadium
Concert Details February 27, 1998: Sydney, Australia @ Football Stadium
Concert Details March 05, 1998: Tokyo, Japan @ Tokyo Dome
Concert Details March 11, 1998: Osaka, Japan @ Osaka Dome
Concert Details March 16, 1998: Cape Town, South Africa @ Greenpoint Stadium
Concert Details March 21, 1998: Johannesburg, South Africa @ Johannesburg Stadium

I believe the band are doing the Grammy's in February, and Bono is also slated to give a talk in D.C. (i think Feb 4th or something like that). I think Australia won't start until March...

ruffian said:

I believe the band are doing the Grammy's in February, and Bono is also slated to give a talk in D.C. (i think Feb 4th or something like that). I think Australia won't start until March...

I am also hoping that they might put in a appearence at the Brits in London next Feb - you can only hope!!!!!!

Lisa

Halup said:

Even if they had to take a financial loss to play in South Africa, they should justify doing it. They have made so much profit off this tour in 2005, so that should easily offset potential losses.

If they would lose money, there is no way it will happen. It is a business. Maybe if they could break even, they might consider it. U2 is not going to pay to play.

Anyway, the only place they would play there would be South Africa and they would be playing to the mainly affluent South Africans that would buy the tickets. Its not like they would be playing the countries that actually benefit from the One Campaign. Why would they lose money to go do that? Just to say they played a country in Africa?

I completely agree with you here, Blue Room. However, if Bono wants the rest of us to donate money to Africa and write off Africas debt, maybe he, himself, should think less about business and profits when he directs his eyes towards Africa.

U2Man said:
I completely agree with you here, Blue Room. However, if Bono wants the rest of us to donate money to Africa and write off Africas debt, maybe he, himself, should think less about business and profits when he directs his eyes towards Africa.

Well, its not just Bono or the rest of the band that count on them making profits. U2/Principle are a business with employees. Those employees count on those profits and the business to thrive as their livlihood. They are not all independently wealthy. So there is more to consider than just the bands profits. Any business financial expert or even manager (which I assume U2 has some very good ones) would strongly suggest they not do something that will lose money as it would be detrimental to the business.

Blue Room said:

Well, its not just Bono or the rest of the band that count on them making profits. U2/Principle are a business with employees. Those employees count on those profits and the business to thrive as their livlihood. They are not all independently wealthy. So there is more to consider than just the bands profits. Any business financial expert or even manager (which I assume U2 has some very good ones) would strongly suggest they not do something that will lose money as it would be detrimental to the business.

Exactly.

You cannot blame the people, though, who raise their eyebrows at lines like

"Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?"

...since that is actually what is happening here. Yes, indeed, if it is not financially viable, then we will deny them the chance of experiencing U2 live. That is the way the world works, I'm not complaining about U2's decisions, - but since Bono seems to be well aware of that he should - IMO - stop throwing these cheesy, hypercritical remarks into his songs nowadays.

But is there really a demand or clammoring by fans for U2 in other areas of Africa besides South Africa? I dont think there is.

Blue Room said:
But is there really a demand or clammoring by fans for U2 in other areas of Africa besides South Africa? I dont think there is.

No maybe not, but there might have been if U2 had ever nurtured these tiny markets, but that is pretty hypothetical, since no artist of the West would ever consider doing that since the profits/income would be so tiny that it would make no sense whatsoever from a financial point of view. And anyway, I think there are things they need a lot more than concert tickets in these parts of the world.

Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South America etc. is a completely different thing, though. There you certainly have fans that would like U2 to come by.

Last edited:
Mofo said:
so my guess is they are bringing the European Stage which is the most obvious choice for monetary reasons

If we're losing the big stage do you think they'd consider sending us the North American one?!:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom