MERGED-->ALL Rumored 4th leg of the tour DISCUSSION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
I hope the boys play One Tree Hill for all you Aussies/New Zealanders! I'd probably die just sitting here at home during the setlist party. :faint:

:lol: I really do hope this 4th leg works out well for everyone!

I'm going to try to do the mobile phone thing for everyone. I know I can probably do it in Australia but I'm really not sure about New Zealand.

Lancemc said:
I hope the boys play One Tree Hill for all you Aussies/New Zealanders! I'd probably die just sitting here at home during the setlist party. :faint:

:lol: I really do hope this 4th leg works out well for everyone!

THIS is why I hope they play New Zealand (as I dont live there obviously and wouldnt really care otherwise ;) ). If they do, One Tree Hill will be done in some form. The way this tour has gone my guess is they would try a full band version and not a snippet tacked onto One or something.

U2girl said:

Fans saw clipboards of U2's crew with various international city names, including Tokyo, Mexico and Sao Paolo.
I know but that may be just names of places they want to go. I hope it's the names of cities that they already know they'll be going though. I know U2 loved their Sao Paulo shows so think it's cool they had it on the list intead of Rio.

Just got back from Las Vegas 1 & 2, met an interesting guy in the ellipse who claimed to work for the New York company that does the staging....

... he told me at Vegas 1 that there will be some surprise guests for the Vegas 2 show, including the Killers, so I reckon this guy is somewhat reliable.

Anyway, regarding the 2006 Vertigo Tour, this is what he told me:

U2 will first play four dates in Mexico, probably starting in March.

The four dates in Mexico are:

Monterrey

Mexico City

Guadalajara

Cabo San Lucas (for a "benefit", he said, don't ask me where the hell they're gonna play in Cabo, maybe at Sammy Hagar's club, maybe on the beach).

Next, they'll play two more "benefit" shows in Central America... I asked him which two countries, but he wouldn't tell me... Costa Rica? Belize? No idea. (benefit for whom? tickets available to the general public? playing at a soccer stadium or a club?... no answers).

Next, they'll do 6 shows in South America:

Peru (Lima, one assumes)

Brazil (didn't tell me which city)

Chile (he said Santiago)

and three more shows that he did not give details about, sorry.

After that, there will be a break. U2 are deciding whether they will use the break to write more songs for their next album. If they do that, then future concert dates are on hold until they decide when and if to get back on the road... however....

.... if they decide to skip the songwriting and keep on rolling, they will then do a stadium tour of North America through the summer months, probably one show per city, maybe NY/CHI/LA get two each.

I asked him whether the stage setup for the North American stadium tour will be like that used in Europe in 2005, but he said, no not at all, it will be completely different and much better (he's a good salesman for his company, I think).

I also asked this guy which bands might appear as openers, but he said that it's too early to say for sure regarding the N.A. dates, but that the U2 team are in negotiations with some "major acts" for the Mexico/Central/South America leg. No, no, no, Ricky Martin and Menudo are not on the list, I already asked him, so calm down.

Yes, I asked him about Oz/NZ, Asia and Europe, but he said that his company is only contracted through the summer, so he doesn't know their plans beyond North America, beyond that is guesswork.

So, please take all this with a grain of salt, who knows whether any part of this will ever come to pass, just another rumor for the mill.

Last edited:
Is it possible that a different company is contracted for Australia/NZ?

Axver said:

I'm going to try to do the mobile phone thing for everyone. I know I can probably do it in Australia but I'm really not sure about New Zealand.

You Can, you just have to get something done with your phone....

I dont know what you exactly have to do, but we were told you can get something done or organised and you can use your phone overseas.

bono_man2002 said:

You Can, you just have to get something done with your phone....

I dont know what you exactly have to do, but we were told you can get something done or organised and you can use your phone overseas.

Yeah, I had it done while I was in the US. It's whether I want to go to all the fuss again, I had some trouble getting my phone itself to work. Also, I can't remember if it cost money to do.

4U2Play said:
Just got back from Las Vegas 1 & 2, met an interesting guy in the ellipse who claimed to work for the New York company that does the staging....

... he told me at Vegas 1 that there will be some surprise guests for the Vegas 2 show, including the Killers, so I reckon this guy is somewhat reliable.

Monterrey

Mexico City

Guadalajara

Cabo San Lucas (for a "benefit", he said, don't ask me where the hell they're gonna play in Cabo, maybe at Sammy Hagar's club, maybe on the beach).

Next, they'll play two more "benefit" shows in Central America... I asked him which two countries, but he wouldn't tell me... Costa Rica? Belize? No idea. (benefit for whom? tickets available to the general public? playing at a soccer stadium or a club?... no answers).

Peru (Lima, one assumes)

Chile (he said Santiago)

After that, there will be a break. U2 are deciding whether they will use the break to write more songs for their next album. If they do that, then future concert dates are on hold until they decide when and if to get back on the road... however....

.... if they decide to skip the songwriting and keep on rolling, they will then do a stadium tour of North America through the summer months, probably one show per city, maybe NY/CHI/LA get two each.

I asked him whether the stage setup for the North American stadium tour will be like that used in Europe in 2005, but he said, no not at all, it will be completely different and much better (he's a good salesman for his company, I think).

I also asked this guy which bands might appear as openers, but he said that it's too early to say for sure regarding the N.A. dates, but that the U2 team are in negotiations with some "major acts" for the Mexico/Central/South America leg. No, no, no, Ricky Martin and Menudo are not on the list, I already asked him, so calm down.

Yes, I asked him about Oz/NZ, Asia and Europe, but he said that his company is only contracted through the summer, so he doesn't know their plans beyond North America, beyond that is guesswork.

So, please take all this with a grain of salt, who knows whether any part of this will ever come to pass, just another rumor for the mill.
:shocked:

Wow, this is AMAZING!!! I SOOOOO hope that it's true!!! That would be the greatest tour ever and a real WORLD TOUR!!!! South America AND Central America!? Wow, I really hope this happens. They didn't play Peru last time so it would be great if they did this time. Awesome!!! A "major act" as an opener sounds like an understandable idea, they could do this to attract more people and justify the tickets price. That would be awesome! Oh man now I won't rest until I I get confirmation. :crazy:

TheBrazilianFly said:
:shocked:

Wow, this is AMAZING!!! I SOOOOO hope that it's true!!! That would be the greatest tour ever and a real WORLD TOUR!!!! South America AND Central America!? Wow, I really hope this happens. They didn't play Peru last time so it would be great if they did this time. Awesome!!! A "major act" as an opener sounds like an understandable idea, they could do this to attract more people and justify the tickets price. That would be awesome! Oh man now I won't rest until I I get confirmation. :crazy:

:hug: I hope there's official confirmation soon.

If they do indeed play in Brasil, I'd seriously consider flying all the way there from California just to see them in Rio or Sao Paulo, then maybe the other S.A. shows, too, what the hell.

I watched that Santiago PopMart DVD again the other day, those fans are the best. As good as the Nortenos and the Euro fans are, I have to admit that it looks and sounds as though the Mexican/South American fans are far crazier.

Can you imagine 120,000 Mexican fanatics chanting the opening lines to "Vertigo"? Holy crap, that's going to be an epic moment.

Last edited:
4U2Play said:

Monterrey

Mexico City

Guadalajara

Peru (Lima, one assumes)

Chile (he said Santiago)

According to the age newspaper

------

Achtung, baby! U2 aiming to crash Games finale

By Patrick Donovan and Peter Ker
November 8, 2005

THE kings of motor sport are idling, laughter is taking a holiday and there will be no new movies. But Irish rock singer Bono plans to crash Melbourne's Commonwealth Games party.

One of the world's biggest music acts, Bono's U2 is expected to play two shows at Telstra Dome next March in front of up to 80,000 fans on the same weekend as the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.

After 18 months of negotiations, promoter Michael Coppel Presents is expected to announce the two shows for Telstra Dome on March 24 and 25.

If the dates are confirmed, several hundred thousand people can be expected in the city centre for the shows and sold-out Games events at the MCG and Vodafone Arena.

Blue-ribbon Games events such as the men's and women's 4x100 metre running relays, finals in the women's pole vault — likely to feature Australia's Tatiana Grigorieva — and sold-out finals of the netball competition are the pick of Games finals on those days.

The Age believes the rock shows are not of major concern to Melbourne 2006 organisers, who have had strong ticket sales for the nights in question.

But the prospect of adding tens of thousands of concert-goers to Melbourne's public transport system — which is expected to carry 70 per cent of Games patrons — is a headache for the State Government, which is already under fire for its public transport policy.

Adding to the pressure, much of Melbourne, including the Docklands precinct around Telstra Dome, will be mired in traffic restrictions on those dates.

The men's 50-kilometre walk travels through Docklands on the day of the first U2 concert, causing many streets around Telstra Dome to be blocked off between midnight and 3.30pm.

Games chairman Ron Walker played down concerns and denied that Games organisers had tried to get the band to play at the closing ceremony.

Most major events have observed an unwritten rule not to schedule events during the Games, from March 15 to 26. Even movie distributors such as Village Roadshow have opted to not release new films during the Games, despite the period coinciding with school holidays.

As well as sports events, the Games will include a multimillion-dollar program of cultural events throughout the city — including at Docklands.

The Grand Prix and the Comedy Festival are among organisations to have rescheduled around the Commonwealth Games. Plans for Moomba have shifted several times. It will now take place on Monday, March 13.

Rumours of the U2 tour increased after Bono phoned horse trainer Lee Freedman to congratulate him on Makybe Diva's Melbourne Cup win, saying he hoped to meet the mare when he was next in Australia.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/u2-aims-to-crash-games-finale/2005/11/07/1131212007979.html

4U2Play said:

Chile (he said Santiago)

:ohmy:

:hyper:

:drool:

And if they go to Peru, I don't know, but somehow I habe to go there... and I assume the other 3 are argentina or something like that.,.. and if they go there, I'M THERE TOO :hyper:

I Believe...

4U2Play said:

I watched that Santiago PopMart DVD again the other day, those fans are the best. As good as the Nortenos and the Euro fans are, I have to admit that it looks and sounds as though the Mexican/South American fans are far crazier.

2 things... last weekend I met the guy who did the DVD...

and yes, we're the crazier, but because nobody comes here... so when they do, we let them know that we want them as badly as US or Europe

if not, ask Pearl Jam.. they were supose to play 1 show on November 22... in 2 weeks or less the 22.000 tickets sold out...and I'm talking early October, so now they're playing 2 shows.

the 2nd is practically sold out

I wish we could get 2 U2 shows :drool:... but 140.000 people is a lot

I'm liking these South American rumors a lot, I am already making plans (just in my head thus far :wink: ) to go down there (most likely Argentina/Chile) for 2-4 shows. March doesn't seem like a possible start for all of those since at least the second half of March seems pretty rock solid for the Australia/NZ dates.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
so how are they playing mexico, central america and australia/new zealand within a few days of each other?

i poo poo these rumors.

Well if the announcement is coming this week, I'm guessing 4th leg starts sooner than March. Late January or early February.

Last edited:
I met Paul McGuiness and The Edge at Rolling Stones concert & talked about Vertigo 06

Last night I went to the Rolling Stones concert at the Hollywood Bowl and guessed correctly that there would be a U2 presence there.

Before the show, I saw Paul McGuiness walk by on his way to the VIP tent as I waited outside the Bowl, but he was too far away for me to approach him. A little while later a guy I know said The Edge had just arrived and that he had got him to sign a U2 cd he had brought. I quickly ran up to the entrance and got in.

Within a minute or so, I saw Paul McGuiness walking by on his way to his seat. I went up to him and got his attention. I asked him "When will Vertigo '06 be announced? Within a week or 2?" and he replied that it would be. I told him I am planning to go to Brasil to see them and also hoping to go to the Portland show. He did not deny that they were playing in Brasil, instead just asking if I had a Portland ticket already. I also mentioned that I had previously met him at a Popmart show in Japan, where he had invited me onto the VIP stage. He seemed pleased to be talking to a huge U2 fan away from a U2 show. He said "It's a pleasure to meet you" and shook my hand.

As I walked away from Paul, I saw The Edge with Morleigh and 3 other people, just standing and talking. I approached Edge with the 2 U2 items I had brought: the Another Day 7 inch single and Achtung Baby on vinyl. He saw Another Day and said "I'm impressed". I told him that my girlfriend from Brasil had come to the shows at the beginning fo the tour and that we had got into the dress rehearsal show and had met him there. I mentioned to him that I will go to Brasil to see the shows there. He did not deny they are playing there, so they are playing for sure in Brasil, as the reports today suggest. A woman who was with him told me to keep watching U2.com for the tour dates.

He went into the artist entry door and when the door opened I saw him talking inside to Ronnie Wood. When Edge walked out a minute later, someone called him over and I used that opportunity to have him sign my Achtung Baby LP.

randhail said:
So you carry U2 stuff with you to other bands' concerts in hopes of them being there? :huh:

Yeah - I'm not saying it didn't happen (what do I know?) - BUT it is a little odd you happened to have all those things with you at another band's show! :)

Re: I met Paul McGuiness and The Edge at Rolling Stones concert & talked about Vertigo 06

Halup said:
Last night I went to the Rolling Stones concert at the Hollywood Bowl and guessed correctly that there would be a U2 presence there.

Halup made an educated guess that paid off in spades -- good call I'd say. If U2 had a show in L.A the next night, a Stones fan might do the same thinking that Mick would be at the show.

Good for you.

I think S. America may be likely if the tour is extended. But to say it confirmation because the band did not deny it is a bit of a stretch. When the formal announcement is made, that is confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom