MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xmarcx

The Fly
Question about not getting in the elipse...

SO with the new elipse being rather large looking from photos, does that meant hat if you dont get inside you are pretty far from the band? Are people allowed along the "side" edges of the elipse, closer to the stage?

Question to people who got inside the ellipse

Does anyone that went inside of the ellipse was with three people? what happened? did they only let one inside, or both?

The elipse lottery

Does anybody think the band will do the same lottery thing for the european shows to get into the elipse as i was planning on going early to the Manchester 14th show?

How many got in the ellipse?

Just curious to see if more of the people from the U2.com line got in the oval then people in the regular line. Also was Bono's voice shit because i've been getting some pretty bad feedback.

So....do tickets that have W*FAN or J*FAN or any presale GA tickets that have FAN on them, do they allow you into the elipse after they are scanned the second time?

I too will be one of 3 with 4 GA tixs in Montreal. I now wonder if I should just hang onto the 4th instead of trying to scalp it for face value (I know I could get more, but as a Yank I'm not interested in how the Canuck's justice sytem works). 1 more chance at the secret wonka bar might be worth more than the $50 Canadian for the face value of the ticket.

dabiggestu2fan said:
I don't get why people always write "bump" WTF does that mean??

When nobody replies to a thread it may go to the next page and some people dont look to the next pages, so if you bump a thread it will go back to the first page and at the top

beatlesboy said:
From the dozens of posts I've read, If you're picked to go into the oval, you may bring ONE other GA ticketholder in with you.

You never know, maybe more than one of you will get a "golden ticket"! :wink:

I hope they can make exceptions when you are a group of 3, otherwise someone will be alone and separated from others

My thread was kinda' hijacked...

I want to now about views/spots/distances from outsied the egglipse...

Since it seems bigger than the heart does that mean that if you are not in it you are far away???

OFFICIAL "Ellipse" Policy from U2.com

Just posted....

The ‘Elipse’ … And How To Get A Place
The elipse, the heart, the circle, the ‘Vertigo Club’ in front of the stage – here’s how to get in.

Last night in San Diego we successfully piloted a new system aimed at creating a fairer way for fans to gain entry into the area in front of the stage (the ‘elipse’, which is the equivalent to the ‘heart’ area on the Elevation Tour).

We understand there was a little bit of confusion as to how it works. Let us explain.

People who bought their GA tickets in the U2.Com presale LINE UP IN ONE SPECIFIC AREA, people who bought their GA tickets in the general sale LINE UP IN A SEPARATE AREA.

As you enter, a ticket scanner randomly selects from the two lines those who gain entrance to the elipse.

The system was a big success last night, with lots of you telling us that it was much fairer – for example it does not penalise people who have to work in the daytime and cannot get to the show hours beforehand to get in line.

The new system means that being first in the queue does not guarantee access to the elipse as on previous tours.

Sorry if any of you had plans to camp days ahead of any of the shows - being first in line guarantees nothing. Chat about the new system here

“Last time around I queued from six am but still never got in the heart,’ said Al Schooling from Alta Loma. ‘This time I came just before the show and I’m in! I can’t believe it!’

As the new system was successful, we are going to continue it for the foreseeable future.

Here’s the small print on entrance to the elipse:

1) All General Admission Tickets holders enter though a designated entry point

2) All General Admission ticket holders will be asked to form two lines at this entry point:
a. U2.Com Presale floor Ticket purchasers
b. General Public Floor Ticket Purchasers

3) Venue staff will explain to fans the wrist banding procedure that they will encounter upon entering:
a. All floor ticket holders will receive a wristband upon entry
b. There is an enclosed Elipse area similar to Elevation Tour “heart”
c. Selection will be on a random basis using a computer ticket scanner that verifies the tickets and by a random numerical process, selects tickets for the Ellipse
d. Each ticket selected for the Elipse will enable both the ticket holder and their companion accompanying them into the Elipse.
e. Each selected ticket and that of their companion will be stamped upon selection and they will be directed to the Elipse wrist banding station.
f. Random selection will continue for the full capacity of the floor. (From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone will have an equal opportunity to enter the Ellipse)
g. The wristbands will provide reentry privileges to their respective areas

4) Those that do not get selected will be instructed to proceed directly to the floor.

www.u2.com

Thanks for posting this.

I think this works out to be a great compromise between those that wanted the lottery and those that wanted it to be straight first come-first serve. The "first come-first serve" people still have their way as those in line first will still get first dibs on a good "inside the ellipse" spot or a good "outside the ellipse" spot, depending on whether or not your ticket gets chosen.

But this is good for those that supported the lottery (like me) because now you know you don't have to wait in line all day to get a spot in the ellipse. It's random. And I'm glad to see that ANY GA tix have the potential for access to the ellipse. This change in policy makes me want to get GA tickets for some additional nearby shows that I might be able to go to even though I have to work.

I think its good too that they have a separate U2.com line. Kind of gives the fans a little bit of a boost for viewing position (which they deserve).

I want to know what happens to those of us that DID buy GA tickets through the presale (therefore blowing their password wad) but the system ate the password.
There are some of us here who got phone calls and emails back from TicketMaster offering us GA tickets to the show that ate our passwords. I did that but I think that now I have GA tickets that were taken back from scalpers and will not, therefore, have the magic FAN written on them.

Anyone know about this?

Edit: Shit. My bad. I didn't realize there are 83945739 other threads about this new U2.com thing. :banghead: I'm usually pretty good about checking. I'll go try to find my answer there!

Last edited:
I had purchased one pair of presale tickets that I cancelled because they had posted the wrong seating chart at the time of purchase. I got a refund on the tickets but I was never able to use the passcode again, or get another one to use. My U2.com membership expired and I never renewed. What a waste of money.

Most fan clubs not only enable you to buy a pair of tickets to a show - but you can buy a pair of tickets to each show for as many shows as you would like. And the tickets are almost always guaranteed great access. I just went to an Elton John show here in Houston - fan club tickets landed me 5th row on the floor.

matt_tx00 said:
Thanks for posting this.

I think this works out to be a great compromise between those that wanted the lottery and those that wanted it to be straight first come-first serve. The "first come-first serve" people still have their way as those in line first will still get first dibs on a good "inside the ellipse" spot or a good "outside the ellipse" spot, depending on whether or not your ticket gets chosen.

But this is good for those that supported the lottery (like me) because now you know you don't have to wait in line all day to get a spot in the ellipse. It's random. And I'm glad to see that ANY GA tix have the potential for access to the ellipse. This change in policy makes me want to get GA tickets for some additional nearby shows that I might be able to go to even though I have to work.

I think its good too that they have a separate U2.com line. Kind of gives the fans a little bit of a boost for viewing position (which they deserve).

I totally disagree. The main benefit to lining up early was so that you could get inside the "heart" area period. You could go to the bathroom, get something to drink any time you wanted and as long as you got into the heart, you essentially had a reserved spot in the front. Sure, there are some fans that will glue themselves to a certain part on the outside of the egg or heart area, but their in the minority. Most people line up to get inside the heart, and this lottery system totally robs them of the great opportunity to get inside. People all over the world have taken valuable vacation time and booked hotels just so they would be able to line up early in order to get inside the "Egg". Now this lottery system has totally made all their preperations, and plans irrelevant.

There was never anything wrong with first come, first serve. Everyone one knows the Elevation Tour was a massive success in just about every way you could think of. Why change something that worked and make that change without telling people before they bought GA and schedualed time off and booked hotels so they could have the opportunity to get inside the "heart" like last time?

Hey this is good news for the winter concerts on the third leg. I am happy to know that there is no need to freeze to death in SLC the week before Christmas.

matt_tx00 said:
Thanks for posting this.

Amen.

STING2 said:

I totally disagree. The main benefit to lining up early was so that you could get inside the "heart" area period. You could go to the bathroom, get something to drink any time you wanted and as long as you got into the heart, you essentially had a reserved spot in the front. Sure, there are some fans that will glue themselves to a certain part on the outside of the egg or heart area, but their in the minority. Most people line up to get inside the heart, and this lottery system totally robs them of the great opportunity to get inside. People all over the world have taken valuable vacation time and booked hotels just so they would be able to line up early in order to get inside the "Egg". Now this lottery system has totally made all their preperations, and plans irrelevant.

There was never anything wrong with first come, first serve. Everyone one knows the Elevation Tour was a massive success in just about every way you could think of. Why change something that worked and make that change without telling people before they bought GA and schedualed time off and booked hotels so they could have the opportunity to get inside the "heart" like last time?

I couldn't agree more.

Cant wait for a few more shows to see if it runs smoothly or not. Perhaps they may change some things along the way.

I haven't looked at my tickets, but I have the fan club membership card. Will the card get me in the fan club line, or is it a special code on the ticket?

I want to know how outside the oval/ellipse/hole went. Where did everybody choose to go? Did U2.com members actually get the "best" spots outside the hole? Any suggestions or helpful hints for the rest of the tour? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom