MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Future

U2 should sell 2 types of GA tickets. One GA section for inside the bomb shelter, and the other GA section would be the rest of the floor. If you can't get bomb shelter GA's during the presale or general sale you might opt for seats instead. And if you get bomb shelter GA's you won't have to camp out in line all night and/or day, unless you are into that sort of thing.

There, the problem is solved for all future U2 concerts where tickets have not yet gone onsale. Of course this does not help this tour for North America and Europe, but maybe all future dates next year will have this policy.

New GA elipse entry system ridiculous

If you don't like negative posts I suggest you ignore this one.

Sorry, the new GA system is absolutely ridiculous. People still have to spend all day in line if they want to be closer to the outside of the elipse, only now, somebody who gets there at 6 might be lucky enough to get inside, whereas I, who gets there at 4pm the afternoon before will be less fortunate. It's an inconsistency that the system is still partly based on merit, but a machine gets to randomly tell me whether I get as good a spot as a guy who gets there 20 hours later.

The policy is intended to make it fairer for fans who have to work all day, which I understand. But they are punishing fans who are willing to make the sacrifice to be closer to the band. I have school and work and I will be sacrificing both to be at the Montreal shows in the GA line already. Now somebody who gets there a whole day later is gonna get a better spot. Sorry, that's punishing me in the wake of my sacrifice.

This new system is terrible. There has to be a better way to make it fairer without punishing those who make the sacrifice. Every other non-reservation system in society works based on sacrifice. For example, when you go to a bus stop, the person who is there first gets to get on first and choose a seat first. When you go to a movie theatre, the people there first get first choice of seats. These are fair scenarios to me.

People with other commitments knew what the old GA commitment was before this new system was publicized so they knew what they were doing. If I didn't think I could have made it 20 hours before the show I would have bought seats.

In short, making it fairer for those who have other commitments makes it less fair for everybody else.

Jon

the problem with this system is if they want to do alottery they should do it in a way where no lineup is needed. For example give out numbers throughpout the day, that start admitting people based on a random numer as the starting point or something....

This system is kind of the worst of both worlds...

I personally think it's a great idea. From what I understand the band really grew tired of seeing the same people always in the heart at a majority of concerts.

These same fans weuld even leave the concert early to go line up for the next day. Too me, that's just too much. I understand some people are diehards, but this is just too extreme.

I understand your complaint, but it really bugs me when I see other U2 fans bitching about seeing "causal" fans in oval instead of them (not saying you did this).

Maybe U2 just feels that you shouldn't "sacrifice" your whole day just to see them play.

How about 3 lines...

- One U2.com members
- Earlybirds
- Lottery for people who have to work during the day (or other excuses)

I think a lottery is not a bad idea--dont misunderstand me...

I jsut think this is perhaps not the best form for the lottery to take...it reaaly doesnt help to alleviate the need to line up....

Everybody paid the same price for a floor ticket. Everyone should have the same opportunity to stand in the elipse. The lottery takes care of that by being random. If you feel the need to sacrificeand waste a day in line , get there at 6am for your spot outside the elipse.

I wasn't much a U2 fan when I bought GA tickets for Charlotte elevation. I got the to the arena around 6pm or so and stood in a long line cursing the fact that I wouldn't get to see much. I kept on saying we should have bought seats. Well the time came and they started to let people in and thanks to the bang up job security did - they lined up seated ticket holders in the same line - causing all chaos. Got inside, went onto the floor, went over to the heart entrance and they let me in!

(Charlotte was one of the first shows and so getting into the heart was not well known)

Didn't know what I got myself into! The lights went down, U2 came on, and I was turned into raging fan for life! It was a life changing event - seriously - as addictive as a drug.

After Charlotte I spent more money and more time waiting in lines than I care to remember...totally worth it!

I understand why people hate the lottery - there's no guarantee that you will get in the heart.

The only thing that I hope is that there are casual fans who lotto themselves into the heart and become a devoted junkie like you and me - if they were to continue the marathon lineups then people like me would have never happened.

I think U2 feeds on new blood anyway.

I jsut think that if they want to do something so people dont have to wait around all day..this isn't it...

That said IO have the day off for my show and was planning on being there ASAP...but this system is just odd to me...oh well we'll see....

This whole lottery thing...

"I predict a riot"

Coming with the announcement that Kaiser Chiefs will be opening some shows on the 2nd leg...

xmarcx said:
I jsut think that if they want to do something so people dont have to wait around all day..this isn't it...

That said IO have the day off for my show and was planning on being there ASAP...but this system is just odd to me...oh well we'll see....

I agree. If they want it to be "fair" then there should be a different type of Lottery in place.

Not everyone wants to be in the bomb shelter so.....

I was in the shelter for the opener and couldn't see how or if it was full but I heard that it wasn't. (I was up front and I'm short so I can't see well behind me when Bono moves along the ramp.

I still got there in advance knowing that there was a high probability a lottery of some kind was going to take place.

It doesn't solve any problems. People will still have to line up to get a good spot outside the elipse. I'm going to the 1st Montreal show with 3 other people. What if only one of us has a lucky ticket? Then two of us get to go and two of us don't? Sorry that's not good enough.

More importantly, this system penalizes fans who make the sacrifice. Sorry, I don't buy the argument that you can show up any time and still have an equal chance of getting into the elipse just because you paid the same price. We all paid the same price and so in my opinion the only fair way to judge who earns the better spot is by deciding based on their sacrifice. You all have an equal chance to line up for a good spot, too and at least that way those who put in the time don't feel discouraged. If you have other unavoidable commitments, I'm not sure why you bought GAs.

At a movie theatre, I'm sure people wouldn't be arguing that those who got there first should cede their central seats to you because you had another commitment.

At a restaurant, I'm sure people wouldn't be arguing that a lottery would be the fairst way to determine who gets served first.

At a bus stop, a lottery cannot be argued to be the fairest way of selecting who gets to take the best seats.

No, the fairest way to do it is and has always been 'first come, first served.'

JOn

Neilz said:
How about 3 lines...

- One U2.com members
- Earlybirds
- Lottery for people who have to work during the day (or other excuses)

To me, this seems 'more' fair. Just decrease the number of early birds who get into the elipse and keep a few spots for the lottery.

Jon

Give 250 spots to early birds. Give 150 for lotto.

Easy and fair for all.

Literally dozens of us have come up with this. Why? Because it actually makes sense. Hopefully someone in the U2 organization with be given their brain back and realize this.

This is a reasonable idea. Actually, there are more than a few reasonable ways to do this (like doing a regular lottery IMO), but somehow they chose a system with which most of us disagree.

I don`t think that this second line for U2.com members will work out either. It sucks if you are going with someone who is not a member, so they should allow each U2.com member to bring a friend with them in the line. But then if that happens, the U2.com line will be longer than the regular one.

Actually, I think that the U2.com line will be at least as long as the regular one earlier in the day because most people who are willing to line-up early are also most likely U2.com members.

ok, well I just got back from two shows with this GA lottery system in place. I was willing to take it on the first day as I knew we were the guinea pigs of the whole things, but I really have many questions and concerns, and things that seem very unfair about this whole process.

First of all if you are the lucky winner then the process is great, but really what are the odds of this. Last night I literally watched 10 people in front of me and the three people behind me all lose. My HUGE problem with this whole system is that you're waiting in line for a few hours, maybe even all day, and then the first thing that happens to you when they finally open the doors is you are faced with this horrible disappointment. It sucks guys, really!! No matter how much you tell yourself you are not going to win, as soon as you don't it's not a good feeling, and let me tell you a real buzz kill for the show to come. Plus the odds are so against you with about 1800 floor tickets sold and only about 200 elipse tickets given out.

During the second night in San Diego we got to the venue around 3:30 and we were about 30-35 people back in the u2.com line, so we were pretty excited thinking that hey, at least if we don't get in we'll get a spot on the rail and that's fine, since obviously this line moves faster, hence that's why it is for the fan club. Well, it's a hoax guys. Now maybe it was just a venue thing, or they still need to iron out stuff BUT there were 4 turnstyles for the two lines to go through, guess how many they were letting our group through. Yeah, 1 of them. So, out of the four turnstyles, each letting 5 people through at a time there were 15 non u2.com members flying up the stairs as compared to our 5. Once we got inside the entire rail was already 4 people deep, and looking into the elipse there was probably about 15 people. It really doesn't make you feel good.

My other concerns are these.....
1. ok, yes on a show to show basis it seems like a fair plan, but what about those fans who only get one shot at this. You know, you're such a huge fan and you fought so hard to get a ga ticket for this one show that you are able to go to and you don't win and by the time you get into the building you're 5 people deep and can't see a thing. That doesn't seem too fair to me.

2. Or you're a fan that has planed to go to we'll say 8 shows, and you line up every afternoon or however long you want, and every single time you lose, and never get the chance to see the show from inside the elipse. How is that fair?

3. You're with more than 1 friend! Seriously, I know there was a two ticket limit per person and that's what they're basing this on, but ususally why fans, casual and non-casual get floor tickets is because they all want to be with their buddies. Opening night was a great reunion for me and there were seriously about 12 people that I wanted to be around for that show, only two of our group were able to make it into the elipse. Of course my husbands brother and his wife. The very two people we arrived at the show with, spent all day with, and wanted to spend the time with. Wasn't fun, let me tell you. I made a huge effort to get many of my friends here in my home town all floor tickets for the upcoming denver show. There are six of us driving up together and two we are meeting there. There is no way we are all going to make it in, and maybe one or two of us do, I would never ask them not to go in there, knowing how awesome it is, thus the group is split up again.

Or even the worst ratio of all you have 3 people with you and only 1 of you wins, and is of course only able to bring one other person with you. The other person watches the show alone?! Or you just give up maybe your only shot at getting into the elipse the whole tour?

Ugh, I have become open to the idea of a lottery system, but it seems to me this system causes much more hassle and heartbreak than any kind of joy. I say if a lottery system is truly what they want, do it the old fashioned way where a number is drawn and everybody lines up in order behind that person, or some other clever way that doesn't split up your group or leave you heartbroken before an experience that is supposed to be one of the best in your life.

Just two cents from somebody that went through it all this week:shrug:

Sorry to disagree, but I love the lottery system. Yes a few things need to be iorned out, but the concept is great. Just because a fan is not rabid enough to camp out over night or most of the day of the concert, does not mean they are not a fan worthy of being front and center.

U2WOJO said:
Just because a fan is not rabid enough to camp out over night or most of the day of the concert, does not mean they are not a fan worthy of being front and center.

Oh I totally agree with you on that. I would never say I'm a better fan just because I was able to stand in line all day and somebody else couldn't, and I am not totally against a lottery system like I said, but just being a part of it those first two shows it was much more disappointing than relieving for sure. Especially when you want nothing more than to be in there and enjoy the show close and you literally watch people walk up all drunk to the entrance and say "um, this wristband is supposed to get me somewhere I guess. Whats an elipse?" Makes ya a little tick as a U2 fan if ya know what I mean:wink:

U2WOJO said:
Sorry to disagree, but I love the lottery system. Yes a few things need to be iorned out, but the concept is great. Just because a fan is not rabid enough to camp out over night or most of the day of the concert, does not mean they are not a fan worthy of being front and center.

How can you say that just after U2acrobat8's post? Don't you think all the post he/she made are good reasons to say that this system is crap?

It's not a question of ironing out a few things, most of the basic problems with this system are inherent to the very concept (like the fact that groups are split and that people will line-up anyways, only to end-up dissapointed). I don't disagree with a lottery either, just to give a chance to more fans too. But this particular lottery is got to be the worst system anyone can think of.

THE ELLIPSE SHOULD OFFICIALLY BE RENAMED "THE BOMB SHELTER". That's what Bono said at the end of ABOY. How great would that be. You are in line and you get chosen by the screen and the guard says, "Congratulations! You get to bring one friend into the bomb shelter with you". Haha...And then we could have really corny phrases like, "wow....it was really explosive in the bomb shelter last night".

U2Acrobat8 said:

Oh I totally agree with you on that. I would never say I'm a better fan just because I was able to stand in line all day and somebody else couldn't, and I am not totally against a lottery system like I said, but just being a part of it those first two shows it was much more disappointing than relieving for sure. Especially when you want nothing more than to be in there and enjoy the show close and you literally watch people walk up all drunk to the entrance and say "um, this wristband is supposed to get me somewhere I guess. Whats an elipse?" Makes ya a little tick as a U2 fan if ya know what I mean:wink:

EXACTLY. This is not about who's a 'better fan'. Listen, if you think U2 is the best band in the world and would consider it a highlight of a lifetime to get up close, well you should be at the front as much as any other fan.

But this system gives an equal opportunity to people who just don`t care and got tickets because they work at a radio station or have a friend at Ticketmaster. Again, TONS of people get U2 tickets because they have connections, including GA tickets.

How exactly do you determine who is a U2 fan and who isn't? Well it's impossible to do it precisely of course, because there is nowhere to draw the line. The willingness of taking a day off and waiting in line for hours is a good sign. Being member of U2.com is another. Those are far from being perfect indicators, because of course some people just can't wait all day and are as big fans as any others.

Who excatly will be happy with this system? The few people who will show up late (and therefore probably would be happy with being at the back anyways) and get lucky with the lottery.

And at every show, there will be a few hundreds really dissapointed fans. How fun...

So do we make eveyone audition to get into the building then and segregate people by their level of fandom (maybe make it American Idol-Get upclose with U2)? Non-die hards are allowed in the building, just not the bomb shelter? This attitude of entitlement is bs. You bought a ticket just like everyone else. I don't remember seeing the option of do not buy this GA unless you are a die hard. Everyone should have the same chance, whether you line up for a week, a day, a month, or an hour before. It makes absolutely no difference to me if a person next to me or 20 feet away from me or on the opposite end of the arena is not into the band as much as I am or I think they should be. I'm there to be entertained, and really could careless about who is there and whether they are as entertained as me.

U2WOJO said:
So do we make eveyone audition to get into the building then and segregate people by their level of fandom (maybe make it American Idol-Get upclose with U2)? Non-die hards are allowed in the building, just not the bomb shelter? This attitude of entitlement is bs. You bought a ticket just like everyone else. I don't remember seeing the option of do not buy this GA unless you are a die hard. Everyone should have the same chance, whether you line up for a week, a day, a month, or an hour before. It makes absolutely no difference to me if a person next to me or 20 feet away from me or on the opposite end of the arena is not into the band as much as I am or I think they should be. I'm there to be entertained, and really could careless about who is there and whether they are as entertained as me.

Ok, let's try this out..

I'm not in favor of the lottery. I feel that if one's circumstances permit them to camp overnight/overweek/whatever to get a great spot in line, good. If not, tough. It's not a measure of "Fandom" to do this...it's one's CIRCUMSTANCES. There are probably thousands of fans more "hard-core" than you or I sitting at home this tour, because CIRCUMSTANCES do not allow them to go. Thus, if one is able to camp out and secure a good spot in the arena, more power to them. It's their sacrifice, not yours or mine...

That being said, I'm not super upset about this. I'm more than willing to take my chances with the lottery. What most here ARE saying (and I agree with) is that the lottery could be IMPROVED. It could be MORE fair (is that correct grammar?). Why would you or anyone else be against that?

Please don't take this post as an "attack on your fandom" (as you did the last one). I think the majority of people here are just trying to figure a way to improve things, and work within the system to do it.

walkon11 said:

I'm not super upset about this. I'm more than willing to take my chances with the lottery. What most here ARE saying (and I agree with) is that the lottery could be IMPROVED. It could be MORE fair (is that correct grammar?). Why would you or anyone else be against that?

Please don't take this post as an "attack on your fandom" (as you did the last one). I think the majority of people here are just trying to figure a way to improve things, and work within the system to do it.

Exactly, nobody here is saying that because they are a bigger fan they deserve to be in the elipse anymore than another fan, what is the problem I see is the way they are doing the lottery really can kill your excitement because whether you admit it or not even if you show up as the doors open there is still that bit of hope in you that you may win, and when you don't it is disappointing, as well as it really does split up groups a lot.

I have no sense of entitlement what-so-ever but do feel in all reality this "particular" lottery system hurts more people than it helps.

U2WOJO said:

Dude, you really need to think a little on this.

1.) GA by TICKETMASTER'S OWN DEFINITION MEANS THIS:

My tickets say "General Admission." What does that mean?
General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE basis. When purchasing tickets for a General Admission event, you may be quoted section, row, and seat numbers, however these are for inventory purposes only and do not reflect any actual seating location.

Ticketmaster, U2, heck the entire history of GA would lead someone who is purchasing a ticket to believe that they are getting a real GA ticket. This current system is not. It's a lottery system, and a weird one at that.

People have purchased hotel rooms, rental cars, airfare, etc. much that is non-refundable. It's a serious commitment to drop a 1,000+ dollars, pounds, etc. to go see a show. It has nothing to do with this entitlement crap people keep bringing up. And honestly, aren't there already 15,000 other SEATS for people who don't want to stand in line all day?

Last edited:
tkramer said:

Dude, you really need to think a little on this.

1.) GA by TICKETMASTER'S OWN DEFINITION MEANS THIS:

My tickets say "General Admission." What does that mean?
General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE basis. When purchasing tickets for a General Admission event, you may be quoted section, row, and seat numbers, however these are for inventory purposes only and do not reflect any actual seating location.

The floor IS general admission. The bomb shelter is part of the stage and therefore not part of GA. Please show me where on ticketmaster's site a picture of the bomb shelter that indicates it will be GA for that too?

If you think that it is part of GA, then you could also say that being right on stage next to bono should be general admission too.

Back
Top Bottom