MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tkramer said:
[

This proves the point that people did not get what they thought they were buying. That has nothing to do with "true fan" or whatever you're talking about. [/B]

I agree. This is a "lose-lose" situation.

I don't think I would have bought GA's if I had known this was going to be the situation. I was counting on getting into the eclispe. Or at least having a shot.

Our family is spending a lot of money and taking time off work to travel to the shows. If I had known my odds for getting into the eclispe were only 15-20%, I probably would have bought seats.

tkramer said:
The concensus is easy to see. No one who was actually at the show likes it. The only folks who do haven't been to it yet. The PR machine at U2.com pulled a quote from someone who showed up at show time and got in the elipse. Well of course that guy likes it, why wouldn't he? This system is not only inferior to the last tour, it's not even a good lottery.

I was at the show and I like the lottery. My wife & I did get picked for the ellipse but this is not my reasoning. I have GA tix for 3 more shows. I got in the ellipse once which is cool. If we don't get in again, no big deal - let others have a chance at it. Yes, we waited in line all day, but the fact that we didn't have to keep trying to estimate the number of people in front of us and were able to enjoy the company of other fans for the day just removed the stress. You were either in or out, that's all - pass me a beer. As far as "true" fans go, tickets in general were hard enough to come by, not to mention GAs. If you have GAs, you probably had to do a little work to get them. I think MOST GA ticket holders are "true" fans. Just enjoy the music, people!!!!!!!

This may have been posted already:

I have the solution for this problem. Early fans get in and late fans get in.

Do the GA line the old way, let 250-300 people in first come first serve, but hold the last 100-150 spots for lottery. Start the random scanning after the egg is 2/3 full. That way you can reward the folks who camped forever, and the band gets fresh blood inside the elipse every night.

Win. Win. No one goes home sad. You're going to have lines anyway, so why not?

Last edited:
Pre-sale line when there was no pre-sale???

Does anyone know what they are going to do about separate line-ups today and for other shows that did not have a pre-sale? Today's show was added when the first show sold out, therefore nobody bought pre-sale tickets.

mtnfox said:

I was at the show and I like the lottery. My wife & I did get picked for the ellipse but this is not my reasoning. I have GA tix for 3 more shows. I got in the ellipse once which is cool. If we don't get in again, no big deal - let others have a chance at it. Yes, we waited in line all day, but the fact that we didn't have to keep trying to estimate the number of people in front of us and were able to enjoy the company of other fans for the day just removed the stress. You were either in or out, that's all - pass me a beer. As far as "true" fans go, tickets in general were hard enough to come by, not to mention GAs. If you have GAs, you probably had to do a little work to get them. I think MOST GA ticket holders are "true" fans. Just enjoy the music, people!!!!!!!

Dude, you got in. What if you were shut out four shows in a row? And not everyone is going to four shows...

Last edited:
Id still really like to know if this system is just gonna be for the US or for Europe (stadium) gigs too. I just cant see how they are gonna manage this system when there are gonna be 50,000 + people with GA tickets. It will cause pandemonium.

Hi to the person going to Manchester on the 14th. Maybe see you there. Myself and my two friends are still planning to get there the day before, whatever happens.

I have GA's for Friday and I'm planning on getting there by 10:00am. I think that's a pretty reasonable time. I think if I were to get there any earlier and not get into the circle I'd be pretty upset. After reading the earlier post about getting pushed around on the rim of the catwalk I'm not sure it's worth being that close. A few rows back would be fine with me.

u2valleygirl said:

I don't think I would have bought GA's if I had known this was going to be the situation. I was counting on getting into the eclispe. Or at least having a shot.

Our family is spending a lot of money and taking time off work to travel to the shows. If I had known my odds for getting into the eclispe were only 15-20%, I probably would have bought seats.

you're not the only one. Ive been going to gigs in the uk for years, always GA, always first come, first serve. Theres never been any problems for me. As far as im concerned, you queue up the longest, you get down the front. Sounds fair to me. Ive never heard of all this lottery rubbish before. Has it ever been done before in the UK? I dont think so...

tkramer said:

Dude, you got in. What if you were shut out four shows in a row?

It's fun to to get in, true. But it's not fun to stress all day about how many people are in front of you, which is what it was like on the Elevation tour. I was resigned to the fact that we weren't getting in by the time we got to the door, but meeting some great friends for the day and talking U2 with them more than made up for it. I was inside and outside the heart on Elevation, and I had just as much fun either way. Just don't set yourself up for disappointment if you don't get in, and you'll be fine.

u2valleygirl said:

If you are going with another person, then your chances should be higher. I would think 15-20% is with respect to each ticket. If 2 people are going, you have doubled your chances of getting in. If 2 people go to 4 or 5 shows, you have strong odds of getting in the ellipse for at least one show if not more.

I understand why people are upset from waiting in line overnight for San Diego when the policy was not communciated beforehand. Now we know it.

mtnfox said:

It's fun to to get in, true. But it's not fun to stress all day about how many people are in front of you, which is what it was like on the Elevation tour. I was resigned to the fact that we weren't getting in by the time we got to the door, but meeting some great friends for the day and talking U2 with them more than made up for it. I was inside and outside the heart on Elevation, and I had just as much fun either way. Just don't set yourself up for disappointment if you don't get in, and you'll be fine.

I wasn't stressing over that during Elevation because I knew that the line I was in was going to be fair and it was first come, first serve. Now we'll all be stressing wondering if we'll get this freaking beep, and who to take with us if we do.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I wasn't stressing over that during Elevation because I knew that the line I was in was going to be fair and it was first come, first serve. Now we'll all be stressing wondering if we'll get this freaking beep, and who to take with us if we do.

Girl we already decided.. if I beep I'm taking you and if you beep you're taking me. If we both beep, sweet! If we dont, oh well :slant: We just have to somehow stay together in the line. Or at least near each other.

Yeah, this is fifty times more stressful...

Exactly. I'm really trying to be zen about where I end up, but it's not helping to know now that standing at the tip of the ellipse (which is where I would go if I didn't get into the ellipse) could possibly be very dangerous. I had to get pulled out by security at a concert last year because I couldn't breathe, and I have no desire to relive that.

And Sicy...:hug: right back at ya.

I'm not trying to get into the ellipse, just like I didn't try to get into the heart during the Elevation tour. I wanted to be in the back part of the GA section because I had two huge Cokes that I was afraid would get spilled in the heart, and I had to either have the Cokes or get very dehydrated. I was quite nervous about the Cokes situation but it worked out very well.

Last edited:
If there was no presale you have to bring your U2.com membership card to get in the U2.com line.

Do you even read the stories on U2.com? All your answers are there.

Ok, an update from someone at the venue who talked to mgmt.

It sounds like that they aren't doing a lottery today that it'll be only the first day of a multiple show city or something of that nature. I don't know for sure since I just talked to my friend on the phone.

We will find out after tonight.

All I have to say is that you guys behind me, need to quit pushing. Just kidding.

I was 122 and my roomie was 123 but we got separted since his ticket was presale and mine was not. His ticket beeped and he took me in.

Some of the random tickets chosed were bought hours before the show from the box office so guys it's totally random, but if you don't want to get in the ellipse but want could position outside of the ellipse then it pays to line up early.

All GA tickets will be scanned and it will still be a random draw. Tonight that is.

If you are a U2.com member bring your membership card with you if you have it. U2 are aware that not all members have received their membership card, but on future shows they're going to have the card designate who gets into the U2.com line for shows that werent presold.

Re: Any Word on 3/30 line policy?

tkramer said:
Just curious how things are going today...

I posted this in another forum.

But my friend is at the arena and talked to mgmt so this is second hand info. it sounds like no lottery today but a lottery will take place the first show of a mulitple show stop or something like that.

I guess we will find out.

I'm not there. I'm back in the real world.

The opener rocked!

bonosleftone said:
All GA tickets will be scanned and it will still be a random draw. Tonight that is.

If you are a U2.com member bring your membership card with you if you have it. U2 are aware that not all members have received their membership card, but on future shows they're going to have the card designate who gets into the U2.com line for shows that werent presold.

What!?!?!!?

Ok, I was just posting what my friend had told me after talking to mgmt not 40 minutes ago.

where did you get the info about the membership card? So I better find my card? Will it matter if it was a Prop one or the the metal one?

I would like to say

:down: and :down:

to this lottery.

Here is why:

:start rant:

I am going to one show this leg, probably only one this tour. I have four GA tickets, which cost me hours of prep time, so that I could take my sister, my roommate and my best friend. Now, we have only a very small chance of all being together at the front of the concert.

The lottery is bad for me for many reasons.

I am taking my only two days of vacation this year to go to Phoenix to see U2. And I was planning on spending one of those days in line, to get a good spot.

For those that say: we have to work, and can't make it to the show early. I say: it's the same as someone who can't afford tickets. If you don't have money, you can't go to the show. If you don't have time, you shouldn't get to be in the front of the line. That's what reserved seats have always been for. Simple as that.

AND: with this system, should one of us get lucky enough to get selected, we will be split up, which decreases our enjoyment of the show.

It is mostly my fault for assuming that GA would be handled the same as during the Elevation tour, but it seems to me like the disadvantages of this system, which caters to latecomers and groups of two, clearly outweigh the advantages. (I can already see money changing hands for people who are there, alone, from others that want to be their "friend" to get into the ellipse.)

Big groups are screwed. Early liners-up are screwed. And, people that have already made vacation plans, including taking days off work to wait in the GA line are screwed.

:end rant:

Last edited:
skjuls said:
Ok, an update from someone at the venue who talked to mgmt.

It sounds like that they aren't doing a lottery today that it'll be only the first day of a multiple show city or something of that nature. I don't know for sure since I just talked to my friend on the phone.

We will find out after tonight.

All I have to say is that you guys behind me, need to quit pushing. Just kidding.

I was 122 and my roomie was 123 but we got separted since his ticket was presale and mine was not. His ticket beeped and he took me in.

Some of the random tickets chosed were bought hours before the show from the box office so guys it's totally random, but if you don't want to get in the ellipse but want could position outside of the ellipse then it pays to line up early.

Hiya Julie!!!!!!!! :wave:

It was real nice meeting ya! See you in October!!!!

Back
Top Bottom