MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ djerdap

I really enjoyed your entertaining and very comprehensive review. It would take me a year to notice all the detail you have observed. Sounds like the U2 we know and love!

As for the woo-hoos, sometimes he can't make it on his own. It must be hard to pitch in on such a high note with no build up.

I love the mistakes. Very endearing!
:love: and I can't wait to see this DVD.

KUEFC09U2 said:
well on the documentary for the elevation DVD, its mentioned just how flat the crowd and the band were,

Ahhhh, it's mentioned that there were better concerts later on on this tour, as far as I remember :wink:

- There are loads of shots of Edge's effects pedals/gear. As a guitarist this to great to see. You even get to read the name of his patches ("ELECTRICCO", "BEAUTIFL D" etc.)!

Agreed, the bird's eye view thing is a killer innovation, especially to see Edge's MIDI foot controller and how he works the effects.

Ladera Heights, you are right about Bono's guitar. Most of the time it's great to hear it so clearly, and he does a nice little improvised bit during RTSS (which by the way is one of the best live versions, if not the best, I have seen on the tour of that song. Whereas I was expecting this to be one of the weaker tracks, it really was powerful).

It is interesting to really hear how Bono plays live, especially since you can barely hear it in an arena/stadium, but in this case I think it detracts from the song. The "mix" is key to a great recording, and frankly, the mix sux.

Another example is during "One" when Bono does his staccato, funk rhythm part between verses 1 and 2, the guitar is unbelievably loud and startling. A real buzzkill for the mood of the song.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

Yup, they sure did :)

Uh oh . . . they had us sign a waiver for that. Um . . . is there anyone with alight light blue button-down shirt and Black Fly (Beautiful Day) shades on there? :)

Hmmm... well what day do you get the DVD? I can't check at this moment unfortunately :( but I'll be re-watching the DVD tomorrow morning and if you haven't got it by then I'll let you know.

Popmartijn said:

Now, I haven't seen the Chicago DVD yet, but this isn't possible. Hamish can't fuck up Streets more than he did in Boston. For one thing, Streets doesn't have the lights at the intro this time. And he fucked up that part in the Boston DVD majorly. That part is the definition of fucking up, so bad was it.
So I won't believe that Streets wasn't as good as in the Boston DVD. Or did you imply that it wasn't as good because it's better? ;)

I wasn't really a U2 fan that much when I first watched the Boston concert, so when I saw it, I didn't give a shit about some lights. But I absolutely loved the whole Bad-Streets performance. So much that I must have listened to it about 50 times in a row one night

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:

Uh oh . . . they had us sign a waiver for that. Um . . . is there anyone with alight light blue button-down shirt and Black Fly (Beautiful Day) shades on there? :)

is that from outside the UC, in the afternoon?

can someone post a screenshot, pleaaaase? I was there too!!!
and in France we dont get the special edition till 11/21.

thanks,

christelle.

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:
Hate to say it . . . but they should have filmed Boston again. That second show in May was them at their best.

I say they should have filmed Toronto 3/4 :)

(most people who had gone to leg 1 shows up to that point felt Toronto 3/4 were the best shows that they've been to, some even saying better than previous tour shows that they've been to as well)

Popmartijn said:

Now, I haven't seen the Chicago DVD yet, but this isn't possible. Hamish can't fuck up Streets more than he did in Boston. For one thing, Streets doesn't have the lights at the intro this time. And he fucked up that part in the Boston DVD majorly. That part is the definition of fucking up, so bad was it.
So I won't believe that Streets wasn't as good as in the Boston DVD. Or did you imply that it wasn't as good because it's better? ;)

you have to be frickin kidding me. streets on boston is glorious.

jeffschmid said:

you have to be frickin kidding me. streets on boston is glorious.

agreed. the camera swooping closer to Bono in the beginning when the house lights turn on is incredible. "Streets" on Boston was the best highlight of that DVD. The slane version is just as good.

If it means anything to anyone, I was there for all 4 nights and I was jumping up and down the whole time no matter where I was standing. :wink: The US venues will NEVER be like the European ones nowadays. I don't know why that is, but sometimes I wish others here got into it that much :help: My aunt went and she definitely had an awesome time, so she said, but you could never tell by looking at her during the concert. :shrug:

I think Slane Streets is waaayyy better than Boston. The intro is incredible... and when they kick in and the lights come on everyone goes crazy. It's just so much more epic. Plus the performance itself is superior.

Re: My Chicago DVD review

djerdap said:
Other favorite moments:
1. Hilarious - during Electric Co., Bono gets behind Larry and slams one of his cymbals with his microphone. Larry, surprised and annoyed, shows Bono a "look".

Is this the look?

3454%3B65923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2324%3D464%3D935%3DXROQDF%3E23242369653%3B9ot1lsi

shart1780 said:
I think Slane Streets is waaayyy better than Boston. The intro is incredible... and when they kick in and the lights come on everyone goes crazy. It's just so much more epic. Plus the performance itself is superior.

i think you're nuts. slane streets is the most brutally edited piece of junk ever. the crowd noises are brutally mixed, and bonos mic stand appears and disappears about 5 times within 30 seconds. also, bono runs around the same little piece of the heart about 5 times. aahhhh. boston is the best dvd EVER!

I Luv listening to all your views i agree i don't like Slane Streets either. But i will have to wait a week for the Vertigo Dvd it is a week late down under which i don't understand because i thought i was a worldwide release.

Does any Aussies know why we have to wait?

Razor edge

WHAT??

But the Slane song itself is so much better! That's the most important thing. He sang it PERFECTLY that night. Boston wasn't nearly as good in that respect.

Zoovation said:
The crow is really sleeping. You can't compare it to a show in Europe.
Compare it on Elevation Boston vs. Slane...

I'm really more curious about the Milan DVD than the Chicago DVD really... (Of course Amsterdam would be even better than Milan :wink: )

RademR said:

agreed. the camera swooping closer to Bono in the beginning when the house lights turn on is incredible. "Streets" on Boston was the best highlight of that DVD. The slane version is just as good.

The Slane version is *good*, but I don't like the way the big house lights moment is filmed... the same thing with Rattle and Hum, actually - when the big white lights come on at the beginning, I want to feel like I'm standing in the crowd going nuts...not standing on stage going "oh, we can see them all now....ugly bunch of mofos..." ;-)

My Tivo picked up a VH1 special this morning on the DVD and I was able to see WTSHNN footage - while the song itself is getting stale the Adam/Bono interaction in the middle makes up for it:love:

i dont "streets" will ever get stale for me, sure I skip it a lot on the Vertigo bootlegs, but when being there live, I go crazy...

I was really against the African flag theme, taking away the red background, and no house lights coming on in the intro, but it's still amazing live.

Let's not forget ZOOTV Sydney, it was brilliant, probably the best overall. But Boston and Slane were great.

Back
Top Bottom