MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The whoo-hoo's, KU, definitely have a backing track on the DVD. Bono is singing, but it is backed up.
Kinda like the "daaaaays" Edge is singing in Beautiful Day.

but as i said rather than just "assume" its backing, could it not be highly feasible that hamish hasnt synched the video with the audio, like he done on the slane DVD with streeets

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
i thought it did sound live :shrug:

Its not lip synched, but theres definately a vocal backing track. those "hoo-ooh-hoo"s are REALLY hard to do unless you have a perfect voice, and in GMA/Chicago DVD, it sounds way too perfect to be live, and also in the Chicago DVD theres at least one "hoo-ooh-hoo" where you can hear 2 Bonos at the same time. I'm guessing they don't use the backing track for every show though, only the ones where Bono has vocal troubles.

Dont' start again the lyp-synch debate :mad:
Other cool stuff from the DVD to add to the first review: several shots showing Larry singing:larry:, the crowd sing along in Elevation, so powerfull, ...
Also :applaud: to the girl dancing on Mysterious Ways, really at ease.
And I agree on the incredible ZooTV part, but in general the whole encore, with OOTS and the beautiful Yahweh. Nice image of all the band aligned at the tip of the ellipse.

TripThroughWire said:
Dont' start again the lyp-synch debate :mad:

I don't think its really a debate :|. If you listen to any live performance of Elevation without a backing track theres a clear difference in the way he sings that part (and I never said he lipped it).

But whatever, the DVD rocks! :wink:

@13:13-13:20 on the DVD: he does it 4 times (first time he only does a partial "hoo"), the second, third and fourth time are definately a backing track. In fact the second time, if you are playing it on DTS audio and have a surround sound setup, turn off your back speakers, and you can clearly hear 2 Bono's (the backing track is only on the mono channel), the third time Bono puts his mouth away from the mic and you can hear the backing track and then he puts his mouth closer to the mic and you can hear Bono doing it as well at the end of the third one

The next time (after full band kicks in), you can still clearly hear on the centre channel that its two Bono's.

Last edited:
who cares if they've done some audio remixing... that's what sound engineers do!

i never noticed anything that was SO bad that it made me wince, except for the editing of Vertigo.

u2wedge said:
who cares if they've done some audio remixing... that's what sound engineers do!

i never noticed anything that was SO bad that it made me wince, except for the editing of Vertigo.

If you are responding to me, I don't mind at all :), just as long as everything flows well and doesn't feel too disjointed (like those MTV award shows)

Whattt? I thought the DVD comes out 14th Nov?! Why's everyone talking about it already? **clueless**!!

From what I've been reading here, the Adam Coverage seems pretty good. Can anyone tell me more? Comparing it to the Slane DVD? (Slane is what I'm watching now to build up my hype, the Adam Coverage there is not fantastic :grumpy: )

I cannot wait!!! :hyper:

KUEFC09U2 said:
but as i said rather than just "assume" its backing, could it not be highly feasible that hamish hasnt synched the video with the audio, like he done on the slane DVD with streeets

Have you seen the DVD?
I'm not "assuming", I hear and see, OK?
And no, I am definitely not a supporter of the lip-synching theory (in fact, I cringe every time someone accuses Bono "lip-synching in Miracle Drug" - you know about the part I'm talking) but the whoo-hoo's are clearly not live.
Get over it.

It's not a question of editing at all. Bono is singing the whoo-hoo's in the mic, but the whoo-hoo sounds just like on All That You Can't Leave Behind.
I'm well aware that the Vertigo versions of Elevation are completely live - it seems that Bono wanted to perfect the performance by adding the backing tracks.

I hope that this will sum it up for you.

Last edited:
i_love_adam said:
Whattt? I thought the DVD comes out 14th Nov?! Why's everyone talking about it already? **clueless**!!

From what I've been reading here, the Adam Coverage seems pretty good. Can anyone tell me more? Comparing it to the Slane DVD? (Slane is what I'm watching now to build up my hype, the Adam Coverage there is not fantastic :grumpy: )

The single version is out in Europe on November 11th.
Like I said, Adam is circling the ellipse on New Year's Day (great shots of him jamming with The Edge), Where the Streets Have No Name (with Bono at the tip of the ellipse) and Mysterious Ways. Any comparsion with the other DVD's or videos is useless. You see a 100% more alive and mobile Adam here.

3. Some very weird edits where music is not compatible with the footage (especially during Elevation - the whoo-hoo's are lip-synched, BTW).
Yeah, seeing the preview of Elevation from a TV recording, the lip-synching during Elevation is really bad and apparent in the mix. Ah well.

Thanks for the review, looks to be a great DVD, and I'm glad they kept a few of the music flubs. They give the band character you know. Like on SNL when Bono throws his arm aruond the edge during I Will Follow, Edge starts to fuck up the riff and Bono lets go and smiles and says "I'll follow you anywhere Edge."

i_love_adam said:

Yeah i thought i wouldn't see it in the shops until monday or tuesday, walked into virgin megastore today and there it is! both versions were on sale.

What you like and dislike about the Chicago DVD

Got my deluxe copy of the DVD yesterday :D

What I liked:

- A really long 2hr 15min show! This comprises a "standard" Vertigo show of about 23 songs, and is especially noteworthy compared with the two Elevation Tour releases (both just 19 songs each... and that included a very short Wake Up Dead Man).

- Band seems in top form.

- Lights/effects seem great, I especially like the fact that the arena's lights were used (the red/green/yellow lights that ran around the stands).

- The DVD is well shot. I like Hamish Hamilton's work, and IMO the "birdseye view" shot from above the main stage works great. Some will complain about his frequent cutting during Veritgo and The Fly, but I feel that this adequately captures the pace/tempo of these songs.

- Mistakes and all are left in (a few missed notes by Edge in the MD and MY solos, and Bono's "frog in my throat" during Elevation). This gives the recording a less polished feel I think.

- The packaging is very nice, MUCH nicer than in the normal edition. All the artwork is perfect too.

What I didn't like as much:

- The songs seemed a bit too packed together. This is especially noticeable between Vertigo and Elevation, when Edge hands back his Telecaster in one scene, and in the very next he is beginning Elevation with his SG! It's almost as if they're trying to get all the songs in, but make the whole show as short as possible. The breaks at the start of Miracle Drug and One are, as a result, particularly refreshing.

- The track listing in the DVD menu has several small but annoying mistakes. Track 4 is called "Cry/ Electric Co." instead of "THE Cry / THE Electric Co." (with the forward slash in the middle instead of to one side). Similarly, they mention "Pride In the Name of Love" (no brackets) and "Running to Standstill" (no space between the last two words). I also think "An Cat Dubh" and "ITH" should be given separate tracks, as they are separate on the album. Finally, 40 is mentioned with no inverted commas, as in the album (which calls it "40").

- The extras are pretty poor. The documentary is good, but the surveillance cuts were very disappointing. It is basically just a repeat of four songs from the show with really bad quality! Barely any replay value. The "Sometimes" video is good, but they should definately have included more tracks to warrent paying an extra €8 for this over the normal version.

- The crowd seemed a bit flat (at certain times the ellipse seemed static, and the people in the stands didn't seem overally into it either). This is hardly the band's fault however, it was a great performance. I expect we'll see a better crowd for the Milan DVD.

Please reply with your own likes/dislikes from the film! To give an overall opinion I would say that this is definately U2's best live DVD yet, certainly better than Elevation Boston and Slane. :)

eimear25 said:

Yeah i thought i wouldn't see it in the shops until monday or tuesday, walked into virgin megastore today and there it is! both versions were on sale.

Yeah the release date was November 11th for Europe (albums/DVDs are always released on a Friday here... makes for a great weekend :D ) and November 14th for the U.S. (it's really wierd how the U.S. actually doesn't get something first for once, but good for a change :wink: ).

Nice that you can put a review up before 90% of people have the chance to respond. Lucky bastard!

Other than that, two points:

1) Most of what you say is positive and I am looking forward to seeing this especially since I was there, and:

2) I don't think you can make a very accurate statement on a crowd reaction by watching edited footage and unless you were actually there.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

Yeah the release date was November 11th for Europe (albums/DVDs are always released on a Friday here... makes for a great weekend :D ) and November 14th for the U.S. (it's really wierd how the U.S. actually doesn't get something first for once, but good for a change :wink: ).

That's not true. The release date is November 14th for most of the European countries.

djerdap said:

Have you seen the DVD?
I'm not "assuming", I hear and see, OK?
And no, I am definitely not a supporter of the lip-synching theory (in fact, I cringe every time someone accuses Bono "lip-synching in Miracle Drug" - you know about the part I'm talking) but the whoo-hoo's are clearly not live.
Get over it.

It's not a question of editing at all. Bono is singing the whoo-hoo's in the mic, but the whoo-hoo sounds just like on All That You Can't Leave Behind.
I'm well aware that the Vertigo versions of Elevation are completely live - it seems that Bono wanted to perfect the performance by adding the backing tracks.

I hope that this will sum it up for you.
:up: fair enought i was just adding to the debate

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
(it's really wierd how the U.S. actually doesn't get something first for once, but good for a change :wink: ).

The US doesn't get albums first. They come out on a Monday worldwide and Tuesday in North America.

Odd they didn't edit out some of the mistakes but felt compelled to add "whoo hoos" to Elevation. I have the original cut of the song (May 9th audience recording), and I think they should have just left that one as is -- or gone with the May 10th version.

Last edited:
Re: What you like and dislike about the Chicago DVD

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
- The track listing in the DVD menu has several small but annoying mistakes. Track 4 is called "Cry/ Electric Co." instead of "THE Cry / THE Electric Co." (with the forward slash in the middle instead of to one side). Similarly, they mention "Pride In the Name of Love" (no brackets) and "Running to Standstill" (no space between the last two words). I also think "An Cat Dubh" and "ITH" should be given separate tracks, as they are separate on the album. Finally, 40 is mentioned with no inverted commas, as in the album (which calls it "40").

You need to chill out! :|

All in all, a decent DVD with the band showing great energy. Like you said Tree Hugger, it is well shot with some innovative angles even if the some of the editing is too fast and jarring.

Some of the audio mixing is weird. Edge's guitar is mixed way, way low on the verse sections of NYD and the bass is blasting like hell (which BTW sounds awesome!). Unfortunately, the balance of the recording is thrown off a bit. Then the guitar is turned 3-4 times louder during the solo.

Also, Bono's guitar is louder than Edge's during The Fly solo. It truly is nice to hear Bono playing some sweet guitar for once, but not while Edge is playing his best solo ever on The Fly!

Another problem is this is once again not one of Bono's "on" nights. His voice sounds really strained on a lot of the songs and downright terrible in a few songs. Its too bad they couldn't capture a night where both the energy and performances were nailed, but oh well.

We will never get a perfect official release, unless of course they release a DVD of LA1 (Nov. 1), that would achieve best DVD ever status. That is a show I will never, ever forget.

Last edited:
OMG!!!
Since when is Bono shaving his chest hair?:ohmy:

Just saw the DVD and I would like to add some comments.
It was the first time I saw the Arena version of Vertigo and I would like to say: "Thank you U2 for making better shows in Europe".
I know 3rd leg is diferent from the 1st, that they changed alot in lights and visuals.. but please, SBS in BLUE lights? :barf:

I must say this DVD is much better than Elevation, sound, the band, Bono's voice, everything here is better than on Elevation DVD (I even dare say it's better than Slane DVD)
What's more important watching it you can feel the theme of the tour, see what it's all about just like on ZooTV or PopMart videos.

What I don't like here is the audience... those people look like they're on a picnic... even the worst European audience (hallo germany :p ) can have so much more fun than those people.
WTSHNN and just two small groups jumping?:ohmy:
Vertigo, The Fly and all the "rock" songs... just some hands in the air?:huh:
But I must say that the girl dancing during MW with Bono is the most beautiful of all the girls on stage of all oficial U2 live videos so far...:wink: really really beautiful...

bathiu said:

What I don't like here is the audience... those people look like they're on a picnic... even the worst European audience (hallo germany :p ) can have so much more fun than those people.
WTSHNN and just two small groups jumping?:ohmy:
Vertigo, The Fly and all the "rock" songs... just some hands in the air?:huh:

I will agree wholeheartedly. That wasn't even the worst of it (Chicago May 7th, a subpar show that was almost entirely the audience's fault). When I went to the United Center for Elevation in Oct 2001, the crowd was nuts from the start. There was this pulsing energy like I've never seen. During the Vertigo shows, half of them were dressed like they were going to the opera. Many spent more time in the beer lines (I hope they're getting rehab) than watching the show. The Boston crowd a couple weeks later was definitely refreshing -- those were the real fans.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger

Nice review, THANKS.

DVD is not out here for another week. :grumpy:

Have the sound on mp3 and it sounds great. :dancing:

Can not wait for the visual

Re: Re: What you like and dislike about the Chicago DVD

wideawakeinaus said:

You need to chill out! :|

I don't think so!

These are all valid points. It disgraces U2's older work to not list the songs correctly!

This is official and should be double checked.

I'd have to say that I was disappointed in the audience, too. In the parts of the DVD, I've seen there are very few crowd shots, and almost all of them are shot from a far distance, probably because of weak interaction from the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom