MERGED--> ALL European Stage, Lighting & Production Discussions + Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2wedge said:
I did an interview with the folks over at Barco (the lighting design people) and put it up on my blog: http://vertiblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/vertiblog-exclusive-taking-look-at.html

Looking at the pic above, I'm betting that the red and black areas that you see are LED screens... there will be no light 'curtains' as there were for the indoor shows.

If it's anything like the Eurovision picture in my article, it's going to be amazing!!!

I think you are right on the screen, but wrong on the target part. The close up picture posted above you can clearly see the target stripes are part of the PA speakers not screens.

Interesting, the screen does look very similiar to the Popmart screen. Looks different from what was in Willie's journal though to me. The picture in his journal looked like a bigger version of the curtain lights to me, this looks different from that.

Blue Room said:

I think you are right on the screen, but wrong on the target part. The close up picture posted above you can clearly see the target stripes are part of the PA speakers not screens.

Interesting, the screen does look very similiar to the Popmart screen. Looks different from what was in Willie's journal though to me. The picture in his journal looked like a bigger version of the curtain lights to me, this looks different from that.

wait and see. they are doing some pretty amazing things with LED these days and that's a lot of real estate to leave unlit. and for all we know, those red stripes might BE lit on the black panel. maybe they're testing them? look at the Eurovision stage in my interview in the post earlier and you'll see that odds are that the whole stage will be lit up.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

wait and see. they are doing some pretty amazing things with LED these days and that's a lot of real estate to leave unlit. and for all we know, those red stripes might BE lit on the black panel. maybe they're testing them? look at the Eurovision stage in my interview in the post earlier and you'll see that odds are that the whole stage will be lit up.

I dont get what you are saying. I understand that there may be lighting in the stacks, but the target colored sections are clearly the PA stacks. If they arent, where is the sound coming from!! :laugh: It is a concert after all!

Blue Room said:

I dont get what you are saying. I understand that there may be lighting in the stacks, but the target colored sections are clearly the PA stacks. If they arent, where is the sound coming from!! :laugh: It is a concert after all!

right, they are the PA stacks. i'm just saying that's a lot of area to keep dark during the show. I'm betting there is some lighting in there, that's all. maybe not, we'll see!

I can't wait for the open stadium venues... should be the best u2 shows to date.

I have a picture from yesterday where you can see the whole stage. All I can say is that there will be a huge screen that has the same form as the Screen from the new Coldplay Video. I think it's higher as the Popmart Screen but not as long as it. There are two small video screens on the right and on the left and below that, 6 rows of boxes (I think it'a boxes) are colored in red and black as you can see on the other pictures.

I'm not allowed to post the pic, sorry.

Zoovation said:
I think it's higher as the Popmart Screen but not as long as it.

I can already see veeery long threads about "16:9 screen VS 4:3 screen":laugh:

I'm not allowed to post the pic, sorry.

Can you make a drawing... even in Windows' Paint and post it?:wink:

What about the ellipse/walkways?
Is there anything on the stage like trabants or lemon? (Atomic Bomb for example?) Some toys for the band maybe?

WASTID said:

dont be worrying about the rain if it comes. makes for an even more unique experience.

stood in roundhay park during Popmart with the rain lashing down all day during all of the build up, including some pretty wild thunder and lightning. added to it all.

meant we got an impromptu cover of Rain at the end of the show as well.

Haway The Lads WASTID!

I downloaded the Leeds gig the other day, one of the best PopMart concerts imo.

Oslo Mackem on SMB.

I have a little gift for you!!! It's another picture, maybe the best.

leheLSNYI1D05062005124854259252.jpg

I have only ever drooled once before on this forum.

but I think it's time for a multiple drool

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

menelaos said:
I thing that there will be some ''legs''... Do you see the gaps in the center..?
It's like a puzzle for me...Some mieces are missing...

Maybe some very, very,very,very,veeeeery lucky fans will be there....:drool:

Zoovation said:
I have a little gift for you!!! It's another picture, maybe the best.

leheLSNYI1D05062005124854259252.jpg

is it just me, or that look a little like a sea turtle on its back? lol.

but I'm very excited now, looks like it's going to be a great show

Last edited:
There will be a kind of ellipse, that means there will be two catwalks on Edge's and Adam's side with a B-stage on both ends, but they know have decided that the two parts of the catwalk will have a round form to built an ellipse. Between the two B-stages there will be a gap. So it is an ellipse that is open towards the audience. There will be barrier between the B-stages, so that there will be two exclusive areas in front of the stage: the first one like it was on the Elevation Tour in the heart, but this time inside an open ellipse. The second area is outside the ellipse in front of the B-stages.

ouizy said:

As in Elevation where the heart was re-used, but adapted for the outdoor shows, I think the ellipse will work the same way. they will probably stretch it out longer into the audience.

OR, they will be able to re-use the ellipse into a runway that extends straight out. Either way, my only point is that those stage pieces are highly expensive and they will be re-used in some manner. You don't just build custom platforms with multi-colored LEDs inbedded in the floor, controls and displays for all of it, and put them away for a couple of months. Fiduciarily that makes no sense.

...well, looks like that makes sense to the band... I don't see a single thing on that stage that would be the same as in arenas...

...wait... so far it is actualy looking exactly like on this old drawing...

Yes but will the stage still extend into the audience with the circular b-stages as shown?

Hey Zoovation, Do you think there will still be the ramps going out into the audience or was this the change Willie was talking about that Bono asked him to change?

As I said before:

There will be a kind of ellipse, that means there will be two catwalks on Edge's and Adam's side with a B-stage on both ends, but they know have decided that the two parts of the catwalk will have a round form to built an ellipse. Between the two B-stages there will be a gap. So it is an ellipse that is open towards the audience. There will be barrier between the B-stages, so that there will be two exclusive areas in front of the stage: the first one like it was on the Elevation Tour in the heart, but this time inside an open ellipse. The second area is outside the ellipse in front of the B-stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom