MERGED--> ALL Discussion of U2 tickets on Ebay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no not for Elevation because Ebay really took off a couple of years ago as the place to buy and sell tickets. Yes there were elevation tickets on Ebay, but not like it is now. The reason is fans found out how easy it was to sell their extra tickets on Ebay, it put everybody in the resale market instead of just brokers.

If you wait until the absolute last minute for a Fed. Express of your tickets to you, you can find them cheaper on Ebay, when the brokers/fans have the absolutely last minute to unload them.

I got 2 GA for Charlotte Elevation on Ebay for $120, was well worth it IMO.

mind you this was less than a week before the show

U2 Croke Park Tickets on Ebay - I have a plan

There are adverts up on ebay right now advertising tickets for the SOLD OUT Croke Park on June 24th.

I just can't understand it.

I believe as fans we should start taking some action.

I appreciate it's not entirely ethical but how many of us are there on these forums.

If we all registered one extra ebay account and just bid stupid on every aviailable ticket on ebay and cause the brokers some hassle.

There must be thousahnds of us on this forum.

I'm just agitated that they can get away with this afte rall the suffering genuine fans have had/are having at getting tickets when otehrs are making money from "sold out shows that aren't even on sale yet."

the only problem is that bidding on something enters you into a binding contract. not sure exactly how it could be enforced, but i could see a court case. it is quite the plot though, and something like that did cross my mind, but i think we'd be hurting the people who are trying to buy the tickets more than those selling them.

Don't you have to put up a credit card number to create a new account on eBay?

Ergo, somebody could hunt you down and kill you if you backed out of a $500 bid.

Errr.. I'm a member of ebay and I don't even have a credit card :wink:

"As a buyer, you have a legal obligation to complete a transaction with a seller:

b. if you are the highest bidder at the end of an auction-style listing (meeting the applicable minimum bid or reserve requirements and including any bid that becomes the highest after a valid bid retraction) and your bid is accepted by the seller, unless the item is listed in a category under our Non-Binding Bid Policy or the transaction is prohibited by law or by this User Agreement. "

Is it not officially illegal to resell U2 concert tickets with that much markup? So you could argue in court that it would have been an illegal transaction...

Last edited:
andrew_farrell said:
Errr.. I'm a member of ebay and I don't even have a credit card :wink:

"As a buyer, you have a legal obligation to complete a transaction with a seller:

b. if you are the highest bidder at the end of an auction-style listing (meeting the applicable minimum bid or reserve requirements and including any bid that becomes the highest after a valid bid retraction) and your bid is accepted by the seller, unless the item is listed in a category under our Non-Binding Bid Policy or the transaction is prohibited by law or by this User Agreement. "

Is it not officially illegal to resell U2 concert tickets with that much markup? So you could argue in court that it would have been an illegal transaction...

THat's what i like to see. Now we're thinking people.

Ebay's own terms say that tickets can only be sold for only 10% more than their face value. There words not mine.

This is good news about Ebay scalpers

U2 Ticket Touts Purged by eBay as Fans Lose Out

Sunday Times, January 30, 2005

Touts selling U2 concert tickets on the eBay auction website are being chased off the web this weekend after action by lawyers acting for U2.com.

Legal advisers for the band's website contacted eBay after thousands of tickets appeared on the auction site a few hours after a special advance sale for fans.

Almost 3,000 listings for tickets for U2 concerts in America and Britain have been offered on eBay for up to $425 (€325) each, several times their face value. One seller offering two floor tickets to a Boston show for $495 boasts: "I have tickets to U2's entire North American leg of the tour."

Ticket touts succeeded where many genuine fans failed last week, as the first online advance sale by U2 caused widespread disappointment.

After paying $40 (€31) in membership fees for the right to buy tickets before they went on sale to the public, some fan club members found the code they had been given did not allow them to buy tickets -- or that they could only buy seats far back from the stage. U2's official website and Billboard.com were bombarded by complaints and some fans are threatening legal action.

This weekend U2.com was working with eBay to remove tickets being sold above face value. The auction site does not allow the sale of concert tickets at more than face value in American states where this is illegal.

One tout had posted up four tickets for an arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey, with a starting bid of $1,699. Another had two tickets at Madison Square Garden in New York for at least $629.

"U2.com, working with eBay, has already taken down 77 postings and are continuing to work on preventing touts using the system," said a U2 spokesman.

One option may be to withhold the tickets of people who bought through U2.com and who are now auctioning them through eBay, because they have not yet been posted out.

starsgoblue said:
Question, if the postings are taken down are the tickets revoked and then offered back again through TM? Or does the scalper just go elsewhere?

Good question! It would be nice if U2 could get the seats those people have and then put the ticket back up for sale or else give them to the fan club people. That would be awesome!
04.gif

That'd be really something if they could do that. Without much knowledge of how that works...I mean anyone that has purchased over-the-limit tickets through TM will be canceled and thrown back into the mix....:shrug:

I'm going to murder someone.

Yesterday my friend and I attempted to get tickets on two fronts for U2 shows in Philly. I tried online while he was waiting in line in an attempt to get tickets ... we failed. And with all the scalpers on ebay selling tickets for outrageous shows that they will never go to, only for money... I think its truly not fair to fans like us. So my plan is this... why don't we all just email the winners to every ebay bid, asking them for the sellers addresses... and just go to theirs house and hit them in the face with a shovel. Sound like a good plan, huh?

it really makes me sick to my stomach what brokers sites and Ebay are charging for U2 tickets. The band doesn't get any of that money, only the greedy slimeballs do, and we the fans don't get any tickets.

The scalpers will just go to stubhub.com or brokers who will eagerly buy their tickets to sell for 10x more if they're fans trying to be money grubbing capitalilsts at other fans expense. No way U2 is going to go after each one of them, it's all window dressing, makes them look good for having lawyers tell Ebay to take those down, but they're just up again immediately at brokers sites.

Last edited:
Yikes - 101 tickets/pairs available for San Jose 2nd show. The starting bid prices & buy it now prices are ridiculous!

Can we get in trouble from ebay if we just bid without any intent on paying and at the end go "Wait... my lawyer told me I can't butt his tickets because its illegal and their over face value. I'm sorry, but you'll have to reput them up again."

Convoy said:
Can we get in trouble from ebay if we just bid without any intent on paying and at the end go "Wait... my lawyer told me I can't butt his tickets because its illegal and their over face value. I'm sorry, but you'll have to reput them up again."

ha ha

yes, Ebay would ban you, and if you are a seller/buyer, your feedback would sink you and no one would sell to you anymore for anything legitimate. The only way it works is to have people sign up with fake Ebay s/n's to bid.

I hate to say this but EBAY is an option. Have u tried seing how much they are at ticket brokers sites? :mad: Also even ETS is bullshit! I hate to say it but they began selling packages before added shows were announced. So even that isn't an option. Either way u look at it a u2 fan like me is fucked and I'm going to have to get tickets some way. oh well I can wait but I will be seing U2 in April so I'll get over it!:wink:

-Macphisto-UK said:

THat's what i like to see. Now we're thinking people.

Ebay's own terms say that tickets can only be sold for only 10% more than their face value. There words not mine.

That's completely untrue. It depends on the state you are in. California has no restrictions on ticket resale prices.

You know what I find amusing is that on just about every ebay auction the high bidder and on the bid history, everyone is anonymous...In other words the scalpers are most likely having 'friends' of theirs bid for them to jack up the $$$ :evil: :evil:

also, most of these people don't even have these tickets in hand yet!!!!!!!!

I sell on ebay (not tickets lol). While I do not support what they are doing on ebay, please dont be a non paying bidder. It's a big waste of time and money for the seller to have someone bid and not pay, plus they will suspend your account if you have 3 marks for non payment. Even though they are sucky ebay scalpers... lots of them have very good feedback. If I couldnt get tickets at all I would probably consider buying off ebay.

I tell you though, these tickets must be like gold. I am seeing sellers trying to sell seats in the upper level for like $500. Makes you appreciate for a minute that you even have tickets.

I have not posted that many posts in this forum, but have been over the years enjoying the company and good-company of the U2 fan community.

Thinking about the latest tour ticket problems, there are some aspects of it, which made me think about who is to blame for the problems.

Many people are complaining about the prices being too high. Well, there is this whole supply and demand argument, which is true. On the other hand, price is a way to make sure that only people who really want to go to the show get to go. Here is my experience:

My first of two (only….) U2 gig was Popmart in 1997 in London. I saw the add for the concert, and thought, that would be a good one to go to – I liked U2, but was at that time not mad about them, and went partially as I always wanted to see a large event in Wembley (and am not that keen on Football). I then paid around £35, three months before the concert from a normal call in ticket office and went to see the show – great ticket up on edges side, with the video wall visible, but not 100%. Still the band was visible and pretty close, actually. This concert was so good, that it changed my view on U2 and from that Saturday evening onwards, I knew that from that point onwards, I had to go again to see them play live. 2001 arrived, and there was the Elevation tour. I was registered with U2.com, and went to the presale, and clicked and clicked and clicked – finally, I got tickets, but only knew that for sure after the general sale, where I tried again, and some weeks later, I got several sets of envelopes with 2 tickets to various shows from the presale – my clicks had worked. Being a genuine fan, I did not give into the temptation to sell the tickets in ebay, I gave two at face value to a friend, kept another two and sold the other two to a fan (but asked for a bootleg, to start off my collection) – and all was fine.

The gig was great. A friend of mine flew over to Germany where I was living at the time, and this was wonderful. Tickets were on Adams side, no GA’s (I don’t like to be in the middle of many people!!!), great, great, great concert. I told many friends about it, and some thought, next time they tour, sure, they want to come along. I thought about doing more than one show, and looked forward to the next Album, tour and all that.

2004 came, tour rumours, and the fan club. Now, I thought about joining. It takes money to create a content rich Website for fans, such as U2.com, and I can fully understand that this cost has got to be covered by someone. The best thing, though, to draw people into a sub for a U2 site is guaranteed tickets. So I can understand the rationale behind it. Then I thought, that if a large group of us is going, we can share the cost of one membership. However, when we discussed the prices, my friends kind of said – well, yes they are ok, but I am not that mad on them. Now, we don’t want to spend more than £40 on a ticket, and that’s already more than we would spend. I thought, that’s fine, and this is another way of making sure only genuine fans come and see their favourite band. I did not join, but was at the PC bright and early for the general sale – and hurrah – we got reserved tickets for Cardiff - opposite of the stage, though, I would have preferred on the Edge’s side again. We made it inl though, are thrilled and as my diary combined with current bank balance does not allow that many show, we are just pleased to make one show. My good friend who was mad enough to fly out to Germany from the UK before is joining again– two huge, but now grown up U2 fans. And the wait for it and build up is great – we just feel very very lucky.

What is the difference between 1997, 2001 and 2005? Ebay is around, people know that they can make a fortune of selling tickets there, GA got more attractive after the Elevation stage, - - - and also U2 shows are legendary and the band delivered, other than the underrated Pop, two widely acclaimed and hyper selling Albums.

The people to blame for the unhappiness of so many fans worldwide, really, are the scalpers and touts who screw us fans (I would have been on ebay if I did not get tickets), and I think we should try to give them a bloody nose this time round. How about each of us mailing the telephone numbers of people offering more than one set of tickets to PM? How would a scalper feel about getting a call from PM? Unfortunately, what we have experience over the last weeks is just one of the sad downsides of out networked economy and of U2 providing continuous great shows which sell out in minutes. We have to fight back and I think its great that U2.com is trying to fight back. We should come up with our own plan as well and use the same mechanism for this. Any ideas?

Sorry this was a bit long.

Back
Top Bottom