MERGED--> ALL Damian Marley Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not impressed. :| it wasnt awful, but i'll probably skip him tonight. It was reggae, kinda all sounds the same to me.

They played about 40 minutes, with a setlist that included Bob's "could you be loved". Also played a "puffdaddy remix" of another of his tunes - the name escapes me at this point.

The best part of their set was the guy in the group that just waved the jamaican flag like a freakin maniac the entire set.

I wonder if he gets paid as much as the rest of the band? Perhaps he just wanted to meet U2, and offered his services just to do so?! :wink:

I just have to give my props to the flag man. He was cracking me up. :wink:

As for the music, it was perfectly fine. Not anything I'd rush out to buy, but not bad at all. A rave review, no? :|

MtTemple4 said:
I just have to give my props to the flag man. He was cracking me up. :wink:

As for the music, it was perfectly fine. Not anything I'd rush out to buy, but not bad at all. A rave review, no? :|

Agreed.

I was thinking that the flag man's arm got a serious workout.

And what a job!! The whole set to be waving a flag.

I was moving to the music. It wasn't terrible and it had a nice beat.

But I was happy because a) I was in the ellipse and b) I had 2 beers............

Thanks, all. Now I know to get my beers during the set that lasts about 40 mins and to keep an eye on the flag guy for entertainment! I know the reggae stuff all sort of sounds the same to me too, I can listen to a tune or two after that it's all the same and I get bored. Especially standing waiting for U2 to hit the stage!

dude, the flag guy was a freaking riot, he was so into it, i think he was "enhanced" and if he wasn't, well even more power to him. it was amazing.

the rest of the performance was a bit much. but good for damien for getting the music out there...

i'd still rather have seen a rock band, or someone of interest though.

Glad to see some respect for Damien and Reggae in this thread.

Bono loved Bob Marley and his music and Adam listened to almost nothing but Reggae in the 1980's (and into the 1990's), so if U2 approves of Damien and reggae music, why shouldn't we?

He's at least better than the Kings of Leon! :lmao:

As Jamila says, Adam and Bono have always been big Bob Marley fans and U2 have done a very good live version of Marley's 'Redemption Song' on several occasions at live shows in the past.

My love for u2 goes unmatched by any other musical artists, only Led Zeppelin and Bob Marley come close. :wink:

okay I feel better now. I was worried that It would be like watching the kings of Leon again:yikes: That was bad! So now I can't wait darnit!!:D

Adam once said his favorite artist was Bob Marley.

I imagine it's gotta be tough, 1, opening for U2, 2, having a very famous father who was a musician.

Hmm, I do like Bob Marley, but will I be able to objective towards his son?

I'd rather have Kings of Leon again, than Dashboard Confessional!

I could hardly understand a word they said. I was in Philly both nights, and honestly, as cliché as it is, I was very tempted to yell out "Freebird!" just to see what they "rasta man himself" would think of it.

I did get a laugh out of his brothers' names though, if I heard them right: Marley Marley and Ragamuffin Marley.

Had they played I Shot the Sheriff or No Woman, No Cry then I would have enjoyed it somewhat. His style is too rap-ish for my likings, and those 2 dancers... :huh:

Oh... And that wasn't a Jamaican flag.. The Jamaican flag is Black, Yellow, and Gree.. That was some kind of "Rasta" flag or something.

Carek1230 said:
I know the reggae stuff all sort of sounds the same to me too, I can listen to a tune or two after that it's all the same and I get bored. Especially standing waiting for U2 to hit the stage!

Well I can say for sure that his set has to be more varied than Keane's, based on listening to two of his albums, in terms of musical styles represented.

Loved Keane, but sadly, just as I had feared, after a while every song of theirs sounds the same, and the piano guy does pretty much the same thing every song...but they were entertaining, nonetheless

Cant wait for Damian!!! :D

Bigzamboni said:
I could hardly understand a word they said. I was in Philly both nights, and honestly, as cliché as it is, I was very tempted to yell out "Freebird!" just to see what they "rasta man himself" would think of it.

I did get a laugh out of his brothers' names though, if I heard them right: Marley Marley and Ragamuffin Marley.

Had they played I Shot the Sheriff or No Woman, No Cry then I would have enjoyed it somewhat. His style is too rap-ish for my likings, and those 2 dancers... :huh:

Oh... And that wasn't a Jamaican flag.. The Jamaican flag is Black, Yellow, and Gree.. That was some kind of "Rasta" flag or something.

My husband & I couldn't understand a word they were saying either. I found "fly guy" quite distracting. I dare say he's got to be tired with that constant arm movement. It was interesting though to see his back-up singers (women) right up front. Usually they are in the background.

I did think that was a Jamaican flag. Don't know what a "Rasta" flag is.

Also, I have never seen any man with such long hair, especially dread locks. Kind of shocking to me.

Overall I didn't like them because I really don't like reggae. So I know why Bono had Damien Marley there, but I think he should have had a "rock" warm-up band there, JMO.

Wish someone could post some pictures from last night's (10/17) show. I was three rows from the top, so I didn't even bother with a camera.

I forgot something funny...we opened for The Wailers last year on my birthday...they had a huge band, probably 10 people onstage, everything from a brass section to keyboardists to 3 backup singers..

and there was this one guy, who's sole job seemed to be dancing around the stage like a madman and occasionally mocking the lead singer..

now THAT was a show for fans of Bob Marley - there were close to 8000 people there of every race and nationality possible, and they were all singing along to every song, it was powerful...like a U2 show..on a smaller scale..:)

Wow. Not too much knowledge of reggae here if people can't tell the difference between the Jamaican flag and the Rastafarian flag.

From what I've heard of the snippets of the album, Damian Marley has some toasting influences, along with reggae. I'm not a huge fan of toasting (Yellowman :yikes: ), but I'll be interested to hear him. I better be; I think he's opening for three of the four third leg shows I'm going too. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom