MERGED --> ALL Concert Photography/Cameras Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm excited about the fall tour...did anyone have problems w/ cameras @ MSG?

i brought a camera into 2 chicago shows, and plan on bringing it to 9/21chicago too. i was in GA 3 rows from the outside of the elipse, and could have gotten some awesome pics but they ALL (exception of a couple) came out blurry... i have a digital cam and wasnt using flash...does anyone know how to make them not blurry?

:huh:

U2bpbear24 said:
i brought a camera into 2 chicago shows, and plan on bringing it to 9/21chicago too. i was in GA 3 rows from the outside of the elipse, and could have gotten some awesome pics but they ALL (exception of a couple) came out blurry... i have a digital cam and wasnt using flash...does anyone know how to make them not blurry?

:huh:

See you at the show!!!!:wave:

What are the best camera settings for indoor concerts? I figure i should change the ISO or something, but am not sure! Any help is appreciated.

mskitkat said:
does anyone know how hard it is to get a camera in the phillips arena in atlanta, are the security there real strict? i was wanting to take my canon eos digital but i guess that might be out of the question, maybe i could get my smaller digital in? it doesnt have a detachable lens like the other one.

DITTO....

November 19 cannot come soon enough!!! 2 GAs off Ebay for 225 apiece, I am risking taking a camera. :)

The best is to just buy a disposable camera. If they don't let you in with it you just chuk it. You're only out $15 big deal. I'm pretty sure the tickets for the Vancouver show said no cameras or recorders. I brought two disposeable ones in.

Less than a month till the New York show!!!!(October 8th)

does anyone have the scoop on bringing in Camcorders? do you just stroll in with the thing in sight, or do you try to hide it? and if you get caught with one, do they kick you out or just tell you to put it away?

I'm actually surprised at how many people ask this question, and how many times I answer it, LOL.

U2 allows cameras at EVERY show. It's the venue itself that doesn't allow cameras for lawsuits, etc. but U2 overrides that rule.

Even though the tix clearly state no cameras, they ARE allowed (as long as there isn't a detachable lens).

Click away!

so....

my pics came out kinda blurry and was wondering if anyone knew decent settings for an arena show?
i have a minolta digital

BlondieInTO said:
I'm actually surprised at how many people ask this question, and how many times I answer it, LOL.

U2 allows cameras at EVERY show. It's the venue itself that doesn't allow cameras for lawsuits, etc. but U2 overrides that rule.

Even though the tix clearly state no cameras, they ARE allowed (as long as there isn't a detachable lens).

Click away!

I can vouch for the camera policy, you are more than likely going to be able to get a camera in as long as it doesn't have a detachable lens. I do wish to also add that the smaller the camera the better... a camera that doesn't look "professional".

My personal experiences from earlier in the tour: on the second night of San Diego I was able to sneak in two cameras, an Olympus C-8080 zoom and an Olympus C-3030 zoom. Both of those particular models had non-detachable lenses and thus was within the rules that U2 management allows for cameras. However, halfway during the concert, one of the U2 guys approached me and told me not to use the C-8080 model camera. If any of you are familiar with the C-8080, it is a pretty big and advanced model, 8.1mp... it took some great shots from my vantage point I was at for that concert... against the rail inside the egg on Adam's side. But anyway, I stopped using the C-8080 and switched to the C-3030 (an older model 3.3mp) and I still took great photos.

But to make a long explanation short. I would recommend using a nicer, smaller model with a lens that is at least rated at f2.8 and can be bumped to ISO of 400. Set it for apeture priority and try not to allow the shutter speed to get below 1/60th. If you must take a shot with a shutter speed less than that it will more than likely turn out blurry. If you are using a standard film camera use Fujifilm 800 ISO and your shots should come out fine.

I myself, I plan on using an Olmpus C-7070 7.1mp camera for the shows that I plan on attending this November, but I will also bring in the backup of the C-3030. Just don't be too conspicuous when you take the photos (turn off the AF illumminator, for example) and when you see anyone from U2 walking by (the guys with the black t-shirts and the radios), put the camera down for a moment...

It is a great time to be taking concert photos... hope to see you all there... cell phones and all!

great news that u2 themselves dont have a problem w/ cameras, but the tickets themselves say no cameras. i'm not sure about the venues either b/c the coldplay MSG show i saw last week didnt have "no cameras" printed on the tickets. though there were the standards signs (ie. permanent signs) that listed prohibited items (eg. camera, weapons, etc). i managed to bring a camera in by giving it to a female friend who put it in her handbag and the guards only peeked in. but i'm not sure if that was just b/c there were no camera regulations that night.

So, I have a sony digicam..not big but not small either. I can make it taking it to the concert tomorrow night??? PLEASE TELL ME YES!! LOL

jomommato4brats said:
So, I have a sony digicam..not big but not small either. I can make it taking it to the concert tomorrow night??? PLEASE TELL ME YES!! LOL

hmm @ chicago i put mine at the bottom of my purse for 2 shows and they didnt see it...i will b there tomorrow too! :)

Did you see that awesome sign someone made for ADAM!!! he waved at who ever it was:drool:

Carmelu2fan said:
it just said ADAM!!! but it was huge it took 5 to 6 ppl to hold it up!!:ohmy:

hahaha! no i didnt see that one surprisingly

my friend and i made a makeshift sign that said, "Bono moves in mysterious ways (Edge too!)" (bc we ended up right in front of Edge) hehe

WOW !!! you are so lucky, I did not get into the ellipse this time I was right on the outer part on The Edge's side! Did The Edge notice your sign?

Carmelu2fan said:
WOW !!! you are so lucky, I did not get into the ellipse this time I was right on the outer part on The Edge's side! Did The Edge notice your sign?

yea i think Edge noticed because he started laughing when we held it up. :wink: we were trying to get Bono to see it... he kept glancing over at us but i dont think he ever got to read it :(

U2bpbear24 said:

yea i think Edge noticed because he started laughing when we held it up. :wink: we were trying to get Bono to see it... he kept glancing over at us but i dont think he ever got to read it :(

Yes The Edge and Adam seem to notice all the signs that where up and I saw both of them wave or gigle at alot of them...But Bono:( He never even looked our way :sad: so I feel your pain:hug: Bono made it up to me when he played Discotheque!!:rockon:

Cameras in the show.

I just saw them last night in MSP and I brought in my Minolta 35mm Camera with a 35-80 zoom lens in a case. They looked though the case, saw the camera and said nothing about it. I can't say that is/was the case for all the shows, but I'm going tomorrow to Milwaukee and I'll bring the same set up and try again.

Side note: Got into the Ellipse, 6 feet from stage between Bono and Adam, and got some GREAT shots!!

has anyone tried bringing in video recorders? do you get kicked out, or do they just tell you to put it away? and how do you bring it in -- try to hide it, or just show it to the guys at the door? :huh:

At the Minneapolis show, I brought my digital camera in my pocket of my jacket, and they didn't bother to check. I pulled my camera out during the show, and there were security guards around, but they didn't confiscate it.

For people trying to take good indoor pictures, I can only suggest a few things:

-Try Party Mode. This will account for the low lighting.

-If you're close enough, have the flash on. This will pretty much make or break your photo. Otherwise, turn it off.

-If you can, try to have the shutter speed be very quick. If you have the shutter open for too long on indoor conditions and with a naturally shaky hand (even more so when the entire building is shaking), your photos will get not just blurry, but smeary. Some of my photos had Bono and Edge having multiple heads!

I've still looking for some better suggestions myself.

Back
Top Bottom