MERGED-->3rd Leg Opening Act?+Third Leg Support?+ Jet to open third leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coldplay

is planning a massive tour themselves to support their album which comes out in June. They are playing Europe this summer and are supposedly coming to the US in the fall, though the US dates haven't been announced. As far as I'm concerend they are not even close to a possibility.

Kings of Leon is a real nice opener for the first leg. Jet is so-so...they have a couple of catchy songs, but that's because they are almost too familiar. I'd like to see Keane. I really don't mind them getting a lesser known talented band. Doves would be cool...

If Ashlee opens up, I will truly think that hell is indeed freezing over. Actually, it could be quite funny...at least for the first five minutes.

Jet..please god ..no!!!

Dream theater....no!!!

Kings of Leon...no...... not excited about em.

yes yes yes to any of the bands opening for them in Europe. They all rock. I just saw Keane and it was so awesome. I would also love to see Neil Finn open...but I don't think that would ever become a reality. He is awesome though.

No Doubt and Coldplay are in no way on the same level.

Oasis would be a good choice, they do not have the popularity in the US (which is a cryin shame) and usually play much much smaller venues if they tour at all in the US.

Keane would be the best choice.

Jet..hmm...YES! the all Ipod show! Lame.

Last edited:
i hope not cause i already seen them twice and the third time will be this summer opening for oasis.

i hope they pick someone else.

HelloAngel said:
Please God NOT Jet!!! You gotta look at bands who will have an album to support later this year like Coldplay and Weezer. Bands like that. U2 will want to end this tour with an exciting band (I hope!) and thusly pick some awesome opening acts.

Although I would die to see the White Stripes and U2 on the same bill, it'll never happen.

Maybe Coldplay is just too big of a band to support U2... with that said, they are not as well known in the US so this can help them promote their new album.

I remember reading something in Coldplay.com mentioning that Coldplay will be announcing a US summer tour shortly so their timing might not work.

I am afraid that U2 keeps on choosing crappy bands for opening acts... I hated PJ Harvey, I hate Kings of Leon and I am sure that I will hate Jet as well... I think that I will just show up for their show since I have reserved seats this time.

well if you lot don't want Jet, could someone please kindly send them back this way because I missed their last tour. Thanks

Elbow's gorgeous! But again, so chill.

And for the MSP, I didn't mean they opened before. ha! --> translates to FAT CHANCE. again, again... sorry, I was confuzzing.

I knew the Gallaghers and Bono were buddy buddy. I didn't know Oasis opened for U2 though -- that was when they were still really popular, too, right? Forget what I said earlier then. :huh:

Oh, yeah then, they would be perfect for me too (although I'm not in North America), however, I'm going to see them on a small-venues tour this April. Manic Street Preachers, U2 & Coldplay within 4 months, best live musical year ever for me it would seem. To top it off, the other of my top 4 bands is Led Zeppelin and I'm seeing a tribute band of theirs next month, so we'll say 4 in 5! Sorry. :wink:

danielle said:
If Ashlee opens up, I will truly think that hell is indeed freezing over. Actually, it could be quite funny...at least for the first five minutes.

I'd actually enjoy it because everyone would throw things at her and she'd get the audience reaction she deserves.

Perhaps Nick and Jessica should do a variety show as openers!

---one of the best openers I have seen in recent time:
Saw the Pixies in Dec. Their opener was the Pixie's drummer. He did a magic show. It was AWESOME!!

I do't care who opens... there's no way they can be worse than when I saw the Fun Lovin' Criminals open up on Popmart... truly an awful opening act.

i'm suprised some many are down on kings of leon, i am really looking forawrd to them. its all a matter of opinion- am so thankful there is no keane or franz ferdinand in the us, i can't stand either.

it can't be any worse than seeing smash mouth on the popmart tour, the worst i've seen.

smashmouth?
wow, u2 has had some pretty awful openers.
but then, they have also had some awesome ones.
i think the mix of bands they have lined up for the summer leg in europe is pretty great. you can't please everyone, but they have picked some pretty impressive, young, on the rise bands....hopefully they will mix it up with a bunch of different openers on the fall leg in the U.S. too.

what about the Corrs? :D I know they filled in for PJ Harvey a few times on the Elevation tour...
Okay so I'm sorta hoping...I didn't get the chance to see them when THEY came to Pgh and well, you know...it'd be cool ;)...*hopes*

I think there may be some validity to having Oasis as the opener on the third leg. There have been a lot of Oasis hints/reminders dropped in the US lately [remix with Green Day, on the OC, etc.]

Next, they announced their biggest US dates ever about a month ago...and sold out Madison Square Garden in NYC in 20 minutes! It’s unbelievable. I saw them in 2002 in NYC to a capacity crowd of only 2,000. Now, with no new album they sold out MSG? Crazy.

Yesterday they announced a one-off show at the Hollywood Bowl on Sept. 12. This would put them right on track to pick up with the Vertigo tour after it leaves Canada and comes to Chicago.

I think Oasis may make one last ditch effort to conquer America and opening up for U2 would be a good move for them and put them in front of a lot of people that would never see them otherwise.

I think it's very possible.

opening for u2 would be great exposure for Oasis with the new album. The Killers would be my #1 pick though. :wink:

Doves & U2

because that would be the lineup of all lineups this year.. including crap-fest Coachella.

or Postal Service.

wilco would be sweet. i'm surprised we haven't heard official confirmation about anyone yet what with tickets already being sold to those lucky enough to be smart and signed up to the u2 fanclub..

but i actually swore when i saw the jet rumour.. i dern well fuckin' hope not. i want someone a bit off the beaten track and wicked cool.. like pj harvey was. but i'm not really banking on it.

Oasis would rock my face off. As would Coldplay or Weezer. However, I would really like to see Bright Eyes. It may be a too late to promote the two albums they dropped in '04, but it would still be pretty fuckin' sweet.

No offense to the Oasis fans, but unless this new album rocks my a** off, I really would not be interested in seeing them open. I have seen them once a few years ago in Boston (I was more there to see Travis open for Oasis) and I just wasn't blown away.

I so want the Killers to tour for the USA leg as well. I think there is a good chance of that, but then again, what the heck do I know?!

I wouldn't mind seeing The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, or Jet open for Oasis. All three of these bands have the musical chops to go on to bigger and better things. While Jet's execution seems a little juvenile to me, I do believe they're talented musicians.

I'm going to be on the floor for the Oasis (Opening Act - Jet) show at MSG on June 22nd. I'll know more about Jet then.

The Opening act for U2 that I'd REALLY faint from excitement over, though, is Oasis. Quite possibly my two favorite bands on stage on the same night in the same place (I know the lyrics to almost the entire Oasis discography). An extended Oasis opening set (at least 10 songs, if not more) followed by 25 by U2 would make it a night I'd never forget.

And who knows, maybe we see Noel Gallagher join Bono/Edge for an acoustic song?

Back
Top Bottom