Merged: 3rd Leg Opening Act Discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
More info on Opening Acts for the 3rd Leg!

Hi folks..

I just got this email today. We were all wondering about who was gonna open for U2 at the Philly shows through Oakland...

Well here's your answer!

U2 Drafts Kanye, Arcade Fire For Fall Dates
September 19, 2005

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U2 has drafted Kanye West, the Arcade Fire, Patti Smith and Damian
Marley as support acts for its just-underway fall North American
tour. As previously reported, Dashboard Confessional and Keane are
also opening various dates; an opening band has yet to be confirmed
for the Nov. 13-19/Dec. 4-12 portion of the trek.

Marley will be on the bill from Oct. 16 in Philadelphia to Nov. 9 in
Oakland, Calif., while Smith will support the Nov. 21-22 shows at New
York's Madison Square Garden and the Arcade Fire will play Nov. 25 in
Ottawa, Ontario, and Nov. 26, 28 in Montreal.

West will take a break from his own North American tour to open the
last four shows of the U2 outing: Dec. 14 in St. Louis, Dec. 15 in
Omaha, Neb., Dec. 17 in Salt Lake City and Dec. 19 in Portland, Ore.

Meanwhile, U2 was joined by longtime producer/collaborator Daniel
Lanois and Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder during Saturday's show at
Toronto's Air Canada Centre. Lanois played guitar on a long version
of "One," while Vedder chipped in a few lyrics on "Ol' Man River." It
is rumored members of U2 will return the favor tonight (Sept. 19)
during Pearl Jam's show at the same venue.

In related news, Interscope has set a Nov. 15 release date for the
DVD "U2//Vertigo//2005 Live from Chicago," which was shot this spring
over four nights in the Windy City.

Anyone have any info on Damien Marley...? I take it he's reggae?
Is he any good?

The remaining dates are going to be opened by Axver and the Quiet Minority.

Look out for our punk rock cover of New Zealand's national anthem!

Damien Marley is obviously related to Bob Marley and he is really good. I'm not the biggest reggae fan but I love Bob Marley. He has some great tunes on his CD. Should be interesting to see him.

hmmmm looks like ill be stuck with damian marley in vegas.... i wish it were damien rice instead :shrug:

Who is opening U2 Las Vegas?

The Killers are the obvious answer, but I suspect it will be someone else...

What are the Black Eyed Peas doing that week?

Damien Marley???

Fuck that shit.

How come U2 always gets the worst possible opening acts for their tours?

Are they scared of being shown up?

Garbage...Arcade Fire...Pearl Jam...Pixies.....yeh all crap bands:eyebrow:

No Doubt... PJ Harvey... the Sugarcubes... Lone Justice...the Waterboys...Kings Of Shit...Damien Marley.... yeh all great bands:sick:

Last edited:
I also really like the Kings of Leon:p

You are always going to get a mixture of good and bad...but i doubt that U2 are afraid of being upstaged otherwise they would not have got an amazing live band like The Arcade Fire to support them in their own hometown, where the fans may be as eager to see the Arcade Fire as they are to see U2.

i listened to some Damian Marley on itunes....ugh. im gonna have to get pretty tanked before the vegas show :drunk:

kings of leon might be better, shit, static might be better, this is me being upset and not judging marley the 14th.... i have never even heard of him, it's just sad they put good acts in others shows.... killers, dashboard, (i hate keane, but keane), (i dislike kanye, because he had a chance to do something positive but he wasted it, but kanye), and snow patrol....
UGH!

grbounds said:
i listened to some Damian Marley on itunes....ugh. im gonna have to get pretty tanked before the vegas show :drunk:

Me, too, bro.

How much are beers at the MGM, I'm buying :drunk: :sick:

Last edited:
What would you rather hear opening for U2 in Vegas:

a. Damien Marley

b. Static

c. Nothing

d. Dallas Schoo fucking around with Edge's guitar

e. Old U2 bootlegs

Vote now

This is rather disappointing. While I don't dislike reggae, I was hoping for a bigger name (the last name doesn't count).

I guarantee Kanye West is going to have a shitload of converts after the U2 shows he opens. It would have been a lot cooler to see the most talked about artist in music right now than the son of a great musician. Hell, maybe he should play with Sean Ono Lennon.

It pisses me off even more that there were rumors about Super Furry Animals opening that I'm guessing were unfounded. Their new album is AMAZING and they would have blown the roof off every arena.

<sigh>

and I'll vote "E", old bootlegs.

What sucks is that if you're going to show in Los Angeles AND Las Vegas (as many people are), you have to sit through this shit twice. And if Marley's stuff doesn't start to sound all the same by the end of one set, believe me it will the second time you have to see him.

I can't believe The Killers aren't opening in their hometown. What a missed opportunity.

Europe may have gotten the shaft when it comes to setlists, but the openers were 1000x better.

lazarus said:
What sucks is that if you're going to show in Los Angeles AND Las Vegas (as many people are), you have to sit through this shit twice. And if Marley's stuff doesn't start to sound all the same by the end of one set, believe me it will the second time you have to see him.

I can't believe The Killers aren't opening in their hometown. What a missed opportunity.

Europe may have gotten the shaft when it comes to setlists, but the openers were 1000x better.

Sadly, I couldn't agree more... :sigh:

I'm at both Vegas shows (have seats one night, so I can skip it) - but oy vey... I'm not looking forward to this... Not at all.

lazarus said:

So far I'll be seeing Damien Marley 6 times, Keane 2 (+1 in Barcelona), (still don't know who's opening in Miami in Nov or Boston in Dec) and saw KOL 6 times in the spring.

Guess what, I'll take whatever opening act they put on over the same exact setlist over all of the shows I've seen or will see.

I don't think listening to any opening act for 45 minutes is actually diminishing anything from my concert experience and I'm amazed at the importance being given to these opening acts.

Another Day said:

a. Damien Marley

b. Static

c. Nothing

e. Old U2 bootlegs

Vote now

d.

Damian Marley is Bob Marley's youngest son. We all know the guys love Bob Marley and Adam has said his favorite band of all time is Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Ziggy Marley played with U2 at the Smile Jamaica concert in 1988, so I think they will be happy to have another Marley on tour with them. Perhaps Redemption Song will work its way into the setlist, like in 1992.

Another Day said:

a. Damien Marley

b. Static

c. Nothing

e. Old U2 bootlegs

Vote now

E

Marley's had a few commercials on MTV recently for his new album. They're promoting it as a sort of "rock-reggae blend." Should be interesting...

I'd like to see Damian do some of his dad's stuff because I do like Bob and the Wailer's stuff, ESPECIALLY Redemption Song. All we can do is sit tight and wait I guess tho.

Back
Top Bottom