Manchester II Verdict..... Much Better!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lcfcok

The Fly
OK all you out there in this crazy/stupid/informative world of internerd maddness, just got back from Manchester II and it was far superior to last nights show... Bono was actually happy tonight (rather than last nights serious/get the point across about Africa mood). We all knew AIWIY and ISHFWILF were coming, they were soundchecked very, very late in the day. The GA situation was resolved, no security touting them off or anything like yesterday. The band were great, crowd was well into it tonight compared to last night and they played my favorite song... All i want is you, Perfect.

P.S - Some amazing photos/videos will be appearing here when i get back to leeds, look out for them!

A stunning night at Manchester 2. Thank you Bono and U2. The stadium wants closing down. They are breaking every health and safety regulation in the book.

Bono was in very, very good form tonight I thought.

I especially liked the beginning of Miracle Drug where he kind of lost himself in the melody of Edge's guitar intro and then suddenly realised it and said something about enjoying it too much to the crowd and it sounding like something off Close Encounters...

It was a great show. Have to say the crowd really love the very old stuff and they get the best applause especially I will follow, New Years Day etc. My highlight though was a great version of The Fly. All this about Vertigo twice, I have to say the crowd goes bonkers when they play it again and when its in darkness the light show is superb.

Bit of a twat I am though cos I have just realised that I have bought a ladies t-shirt. What a nobhead! hehehehe

Haha!

I have to say I was slightly disappointed to the reaction to Electric Co from where I was standing near the barrier. Not many people seemed to get into it/sing along. I dunno...

Highlights for me were Electric Co, City of Blinding Lights, Love and Peace..., Zoostation, The Fly, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Streets....of course!

rjhbonovox said:
It was a great show. Have to say the crowd really love the very old stuff and they get the best applause especially I will follow, New Years Day etc. My highlight though was a great version of The Fly. All this about Vertigo twice, I have to say the crowd goes bonkers when they play it again and when its in darkness the light show is superb.

Bit of a twat I am though cos I have just realised that I have bought a ladies t-shirt. What a nobhead! hehehehe

Great short review rjhbonovox! I sometimes laugh at us on this forum as we "READ" the setlist and say it sucks. How can we get the feel for what's actually being played? Vertigo II probably sends the crowd off very happily.

As for the "twat/nobhead" thingy, well...:wink:

Great show and Bono didn't mess up Bullet tonight ;)

At first where I was sitting no one was getting up and I thought 'Oh No!', but after 2 songs I thought f*ck it, got up and then everyone around me got up!!!!
Seems like some people are just waiting for someone to stand up before they will!!!
If I'm gonna pay £190 for 2 tickets THEN I'M GONNA STAND UP AND GO F*CKIN CRAZEE!!!!

LAPOE is the real show stopper though - WOW!

Went to both Manchesters and I much preferred the first one. Wonder if that is just me!! They were on for longer and I thought the set (as it was only slightly) different. Got into a great spot last night bang in the middle of the stafe at the front of the back standing area.

Thought the mobile phone thing worked better at Manchester II though!

I got in the front section for both nights, 2nd night seemed far better to me.

The crowd seemed more up for it, better atmosphere because of the later start and later curfew and I think the band played better because of all that.

For me - BEST GIG EVER

what were the queues like this time round - i'm trying to get a feel for twickenham

digsy said:
what were the queues like this time round - i'm trying to get a feel for twickenham

Yeah thats what im interested in. Trying to decide what time to get there.

Im so pleased all i want is you is back!!! :heart:

I'm guessing Twickenham will be busier (don't hold me to that), but for the 14th in Mcr I arrived at Gate B (alongside the stage)around 1.30 - about 200th in the queue, but due to the shambles with wristbands decided (like we had a choice!?!) to get a good spot seated on the side.
Last night (15th) we arrived at 12.00 at gate K (rear of the stadium) and was within the first 50 in the queue. Got into the front enclosure and got a juicy spot on Adam's side (by the right 'b' stage).

I'd personally look to be getting to twickenham for 12pm to stand a good chance for the front enclosure, but like I said, it's all dependent on the wristband policy (surely they've learn't their lesson?).

Whatever happens, you'll enjoy it!!
*greg*

I got to Manchester II at 3pm and easily got into the enclosure. VERY different from Manchester I - queued from 11:30 and only got a wristband through good luck.

Manchester 2 rocked hard! Was on the rail for both shows, yes I was one of the fortunate ones that had a fence built around them on the first night and a wristband given to me two hours before doors. I arrived at 8am on the second night after hearing that it would be a first come first served hand stamping system that got you into the front this time. It was a lot fairer, and the front was a lot busier, a much better atmosphere. For anyone going to UK shows I have a feeling that they will stick with this system from now on, all the security (not Manchester Stadium security) said that it was the best method they had seen – so get there early folks!

The second show was better for 2 reasons, The crowd. The front was busier and had more atmosphere, the seated crowd also were a LOT more into it than Manchester 1, a Mexican wave carried around the stadium before showtime!
The second reason was the delay for coming on stage, it got darker around the time of COBL and the screen looked incredible! Wow!

For anyone who is worried that this tour is weaker than previous efforts, prepare to be shocked.. America you got more gigs but you got f**ked, that screen is awe inspiring and those songs are built for nights like this.

Bono was being interviewed by Kat Deeley (UK TV presenter) as he walked up to the stage and The Arcade Fire played almost to its completion, everyone was in a frenzy by this point! Apart from the screen screwing up in Bullet, the show was utterly faultless, I thought nothing could eclipse by fave show (1st June 1992 Birmingham) but this did easily! Bono was very playful tonight, we had a few Black Grape references which set the tone early, and seemed to focus the show away from politics toward the more rock and roll!

Changes (apart from the setlist alterations) included no B-stage action for Yahweh, much better. And One had the “do you here me coming lord” at the end. YES!!!

I have to work now i feel dazed… had no sleep for nearly 2 days… roll on Cardiff and Paris!

Superb gig. Only downer was having to listen to some incredibly anal retentive cliquey fans whilst queueing.
'Well, I've met Bono five times.'
'Well, I've met him six times, so nah........'

etc, etc.

what a show ,what a group ,what a tour , vertigo is a go go ,sorry still coming down from an incredabile high i was within touching distance of bono went weak at the knees (the wife is taking the pee out of me as i type)
read afew posts on afew message boards about the first manchester concert 14/6/ , so was getting abit worried about drunks and being shuffed all over the place , but happy to say the second night was just great flawless even ,the show rocked the group seemed really into it and the crowd were ace.
my only regret was not taking a camera god i could have had some ace pics.
roll on cardiff sitting at this one as its the wifes first ever concert she will love it
oh and it took me four hours to get back to birmingham , what a time to start road works

faux2005 said:
what a show ,what a group ,what a tour , vertigo is a go go ,sorry still coming down from an incredabile high i was within touching distance of bono went weak at the knees (the wife is taking the pee out of me as i type)
read afew posts on afew message boards about the first manchester concert 14/6/ , so was getting abit worried about drunks and being shuffed all over the place , but happy to say the second night was just great flawless even ,the show rocked the group seemed really into it and the crowd were ace.
my only regret was not taking a camera god i could have had some ace pics.
roll on cardiff sitting at this one as its the wifes first ever concert she will love it
oh and it took me four hours to get back to birmingham , what a time to start road works

yeah the m56 was fun last night wasn't it? I know let's start painting lines on the road coz there wont be many people about after a sell out stadium show......grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

What a night though, i feel depressed now. Met some really nice folks in the queue, maybe i'm a bit anally retentive, talking about setlists and stuff, but none of my friends like U2 so days like this are great to get it all of your chest!!!!

i actually thought manchester 1 had great energy? eh must be just me, glad everyone had a good time anyway

chrissybaby said:

yeah the m56 was fun last night wasn't it? I know let's start painting lines on the road coz there wont be many people about after a sell out stadium show......grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

What a night though, i feel depressed now. Met some really nice folks in the queue, maybe i'm a bit anally retentive, talking about setlists and stuff, but none of my friends like U2 so days like this are great to get it all of your chest!!!!

yeah feel the same even ended up with spare bloody ticket because no one wanted to come , and i got thier that early couldnt find anyone who wanted a ticket (wasnt going to sell to touts sod um)

rjhbonovox said:

I would love to have a shirt from the European leg! If you care to sell for some American dollars!

this is the best photo i have ever taken...

P6150038.jpg

Check all of them at http://photobucket.com/albums/b332/lcfcok/

I am heading to line up at Twickenham after picking up my ticket at the box office at 10am....

Do they hand out wristbands once in line? Any more info, did you have to hunt them down?

wow what an amazing time! My voice has totally disappeared with all the singing.

What was bono going on about "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT! THERES A MAN UP THERE, GET SECURITY IMMEADITELY" (on those lines) during the soundcheck? I'm sure Bono was listening when we were discussing what we wanted them to play, performed everyone we would love to see (apart from Walk On).

Zoo Station was my favourite, it was electrifying. A massive roar burst out when the symbol came on the screens.

I spotted Bono's kids down the side of the Ellipse, leaning their heads on the catwalk knowing every line to the human rights video. Bless.

I was on the right hand side of the ellipse infront of the B-stage. Think we were near some forumers (defintely forumers or some kind). One rude person told us shut up. MY ARSE are we going to be quiet.

Anyone hear us scream "WE'RE GOING TO LIVVEE EEIGHT!!" when it went quiet enar the end? Bono looked over at us and Adam kept laughing! Seriously though we must have been the loudest.

Hehehe Bono wiggling him bum.

Anyone go to the U2 party on 14th at HardRockCafe? We kinda of stumbled across it. They played Slane Castle about 4 times and loads of videos. We sang the whoolee time. Was a fecking fantastic atmosphere. Pissed as farts by the end mind!

The whole city had an amazing atmosphere with U2 tshirts absolutely everywhere!

Looking forward to more photos, hopefully we can be spotted :)

Dudette, someone told you to shut up at a concert? You have got to be kidding. Iwent to a concert once and people behind me were yelling SIT DOWN! My ass I will! I paid for my ticket and I'll stand up if I want to!

BEVERLY56 said:
Dudette, someone told you to shut up at a concert? You have got to be kidding. Iwent to a concert once and people behind me were yelling SIT DOWN! My ass I will! I paid for my ticket and I'll stand up if I want to!

Yes a few times. What do they expect at a U2 concert! Espicially when Bono was talking about Make Poverty History, something that means alot to us. Hey it's a free country!

Back
Top Bottom