Major mystery regarding Anaheim 2 U2 show on U2.com...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
Ok, on U2.com, some new member posted an odd thread claiming that Bono refused to give her an autograph and pretty much told her off for no real reason after the Saturday, Anaheim 2 show... or so she claims.

Now, we all got pretty upset at this, but realized that there were some serious things that made no sense and we need someone to help us out here who may have been at this show or know anyone who was.

Here's the link to the thread.. its long, but its pretty weird.

Its under "BONO DENIED ME AN AUTOGRAPH" on U2.com.
It wont let me post the URL here until I have 15 posts, so...

Can anyone help us out there and if this is true?

Did the band do ANY type of signing after this show while still in the venue or in the parking lot?

Someone was saying that they left right away after the show in cars but stopped to sign some stuff on the street.

I hope this rumor isn't true.

here's what she posted:

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Hollashee
stranger

BONO DENIED MY AUTOGRAPH!!!
#521774 - 04/04/05 08:15 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Okay, I just got back from U2's fourth show at Anaheim, California. This was MY VERY FIRST U2 CONCERT AND I WAS VERY EXCITED!!!!!

I thought the show was amazing, blah blah blah all that good stuff and didn't want it to end..but it did and quite some time afterward they greeted fans and took autographs.

OKAY..so I've been a fan for over 12 years so I thought, "Hmm..NOW'S MY CHANCE TO GET THEIR AUTOGRAPH!!"

I stood in the crowd and waited for it to deminish because I really wanted to meet them personally. Maybe this was my mistake..and then I guess this is my fault but as the crowd got smaller, Bono seemed to be giving up autographs and ready to leave.

So I didn't want to miss this once-in-a-lifetime chance for me (it seems..being that I doubt I'll attend another U2 show) and I addressed Bono and asked if he could just give just one more autograph. Agitated, he let out a sigh and I could tell he seemed annoyed so I added.."if that's alright with you."

I expected him to just sign my "All That You Can't Leave Behind" CD (my fav. one) despite the fact that he seemed annoyed, because, well, it takes like, what, 2 seconds to sign your name? It didn't even have to be thought out or pretty looking. I just wanted an autograph since I came all the way to Anaheim to see them and as an avid fan for 12 years I thought maybe I deserved an autograph.

Instead, Bono says in a rude tone (not verbratum), "You know, why couldn't you have asked me earlier. I just finished with everyone and I've had a long night. My 3-day weekend starts now, and on MY weekends I don't wish to be bothered."

Okay..WOW. Maybe he didn't say it in SUCH a rude tone but just the way he said it..I felt crushed. I was so shocked/devastated at the same time I honestly had nothing to say. I just stood there like an idiot, eyes wide open and completely shocked. I felt bad for irritating someone I've looked up to for so many years, but it just seems to me now it's all been a big act. I don't even remember the minutes afterward as a shocked and disappointed me left the stadium. Everything just seemed like a blur to me after that.

Bono, maybe you were just having a bad day. I know I do and I regret the way I act toward some people, but this really bummed me out and kind of pissed me off. All this time I've been praising you for such a wonderful person, but denying me of an autograph just seems a bit harsh.

Yours truly,

Hollashlee.

-------------------

Now how did this happen if the band left right away?

well, according to a bunch of people on U2.com, it seems the person was making up the story. im trying to confirm if the band indeed did not stay after the show. this would help clear bono of this crap once and for all.

Even if Bono denies her an autograph so what!

He IS a normal person y'know.

Doesn't sound too harsh from Bono as this girl sounds like one of those fans that put people on pedestals - bad idea.

Bono for Pope!

I think it was more of the tone that she's saying he said it.

Honestly, I think she's either exaggerating, or making it up... they didnt do any signing supposedly that night right? they just left from the stage and thats it?

Why? Why can't Bono say enoughs enough and go home? I imagine he has pretty good time management skills to fit all his different projects into his life. Time was up for the U2 part of the day so he clocked off.

It reads a bit like this person was standing around and didn't ask for Bonos autograph until he has started making a move to leave. Which is probably something I would do, being a bit shy, and then suddenly realising opportunity was leaving, botching it up.

I don't read Bonos comment as rude. More "shows over, times up, bye"

beli said:
Why? Why can't Bono say enoughs enough and go home? I imagine he has pretty good time management skills to fit all his different projects into his life. Time was up for the U2 part of the day so he clocked off.

It reads a bit like this person was standing around and didn't ask for Bonos autograph until he has started making a move to leave. Which is probably something I would do, being a bit shy, and then suddenly realising opportunity was leaving, botching it up.

I don't read Bonos comment as rude. More "shows over, times up, bye"

She said he acted pissed off, and now everyone's upset that Bono's whole kindness and everything is all an act and shit.

I still doubt this event happened though...

Especially based on the replies people who were actually at the show had said. They supposedly were in a rush to leave the venue, but afterwards.. while in the car.. bono made the police motorcade stop around the corner and so he could get out and sign a couple of things for fans and then go. so, if this girl is telling the truth.. why would bono say No to her and then sign more things for fans on the street afterwards?

seems fishy.

she said it was in the venue, i guess. she then said she left the venue upset. and something about waiting a long time till he signed stuff. which was bullshit because the band left right away. within 10-15 mins supposedly.

Reading that thread, it seems her story doesn't pan out. Perhaps she ran into the Bono imposter that's been running around the shows? I've read other stories about people being fooled by him...

beli said:
Even if Bono was just in a plain old bad mood, so what? Everyone has cranky moments.

i dont know. he could have just said nicely (as he has been known to in the past), 'sorry, i gotta be somewhere right now... and gotta get going.. sorry"...

the comment he supposedly made sounds very rude in a way that seems almost strange.. since, as mentioned would just take a second to do. however, take alook at that thread on U2.com though and read through some of it.

im not bashing bono.. im actually taking up for him here. i cant see him doing this, knowing how hes handled this stuff in the past.
that is unless.. the fan in question was being rude or pushy to him........

Me? No. I live on the other side of the planet.

I once read where U2 appointed Adam official spokesperson for band/crew relations as Bono was pissing the crew off. I'm sure he can be quite the task master. I haven't met Bono but I have met his personality type.

People have cranky days, even Nobel Peace Prize nominees have cranky days. Hes just a man.

I don't believe it... It sounds true, but it's not Bono's character to act this way... He says his weekend started right then, but he still was in de venue! I have seen him signing autographs in front of the hotel after a gig, so that weekend part is bull IMHO!

The other thing is that Bono isn't stupid! He would always treat a fan with respect... Not only because he should, but also because these things ultimately end up on these forums

For the record... I have met Bono once and he took áll the time for autographs... With Adam I even had a short conversation while he was 'undercover' at a party with friends (a Anton Corbijn exposition in Groningen, Holland)... Not even then a problem for these lads!

Last edited:
lol i love the bit where she says "i was quite shaken up" as if she had just been attacked,

complete bollocks

I too have been denied an autograph by Bono!!

it was Austin, Texas - Before Elevation!

Bono and Larry were coming the stairs to the area outside where all us fans where...

I was holding a Picture.. Larry looked up..Nudged Bono to look at my Picture.. They Both Laughed for a second..

I asked Bono to sign my picture...he put his hand on my hand..and said very nicely... I Can't Mate.. Sorry..

There were quite a few people that day..and all 4 members came out.. for the most part not many auto's were given.. because it would have taken to long..just handshakes for the most part..

He very nicely passed on an autograph without being a jerk or anything...

btw.
he did sign..before miami 1st night..after miami 1st night...
before and after miami 2nd night

he signed before houston..matter of fact the picture...that i was trying to get signed was pic of me and bono sitting on a hill.. he signed before portland..

and those are just from my experiences..

so he does a great job!!

i hope its a lie. i have no issues with him wanting his own space and not to sign, its how it supposedly was said and happened. unless she was demanding it of course, but still. it seemed weird.

bravoland said:
I too have been denied an autograph by Bono!!

it was Austin, Texas - Before Elevation!

Bono and Larry were coming the stairs to the area outside where all us fans where...

I was holding a Picture.. Larry looked up..Nudged Bono to look at my Picture.. They Both Laughed for a second..

I asked Bono to sign my picture...he put his hand on my hand..and said very nicely... I Can't Mate.. Sorry..

There were quite a few people that day..and all 4 members came out.. for the most part not many auto's were given.. because it would have taken to long..just handshakes for the most part..

He very nicely passed on an autograph without being a jerk or anything...

btw.
he did sign..before miami 1st night..after miami 1st night...
before and after miami 2nd night

he signed before houston..matter of fact the picture...that i was trying to get signed was pic of me and bono sitting on a hill.. he signed before portland..

and those are just from my experiences..

so he does a great job!!

aww.. you should post the one of you guys on the hill together! i'd love to see that. whats the story about the hill?

and yes, were they off to somewhere else the day he didnt sign stuff?and sorta in a rush?

see, that's fine...

MattFromNYC said:

I hope this rumor isn't true.

Or what ? Is this going to ruin your life ?

and..... a MAJOR MYSTERY ? Give me a break. It isn't that big of a deal even if it was true.

Assuming her story is true (doubtful), it seems as though Bono was signing autographs but obviously had to stop at some point and it happened to be her.

So did John Lennon, and he was killed. Fans can be a pain in the arse, I bet the girl didn't write down how annoying she actually had been.

It seems kind of odd that she's the only one we've heard of so far who met the band after that show. I read a report on here of Bono driving away after the show and waving at fans (in a bathrobe no less :lol: ), but I haven't seen any other reports of people meeting him.

But so what, everyone has a bad day :shrug:

here we go, menoch's post:

http://forum.interference.com/t121654.html

I was actually at the corner when Bono and the caravan drove by. They left immediately after the concert. I was luckily in the right place at the right time. But sad to say he did not stop and sign anything. But happy to say he did stick his head out the window, wove and smiled at my sister and I since we were the only ones on the street at that moment. It was a fun experience seeing Bono in the front seat, bathrobe on and still wearing the blue shades he wore all night!!

Last edited:
beli said:

Yeah - good call actually.:up:

I don't know if I believe that. I've met him on more than one occasion when he was tired and had just performed (SNL) and he's always been very nice..

Back
Top Bottom