Lottery: Diehards not excited enough, therefore lottery in effect!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
Per Paul McGuinness in the bonus DVD, he says pretty much that because the diehard fans were in line early and therefore in the heart every night during the Elevation tour that they knew 'the setlist routine' and therefore did not have the energy of a 'fresh crowd'. All along I thought it was about giving everyone a shot, but according to Paul M. it's because the diehards are actually boring, or at least, un-energetic after a few shows?

What do you anti lottery folks have to say about this?

I started a thread about this that unfortunately got closed. I think they had good intentions, they felt like people who went to multiple shows knew what was going to happen at the shows, so they weren't as excited and it killed some of the atmosphere. But I think it kind of backfired on them, as now a lot of casual fans get into the ellipse, and they are almost disinterested during the songs they don't know, and that really kills the atmosphere.

Ouizy made a good point in my thread. Instead of coming up with a lottery to get people excited in the ellipse, maybe try mixing up the setlists a bit so people wouldn't know exactly what to expect.

Chizip said:
Ouizy made a good point in my thread. Instead of coming up with a lottery to get people excited in the ellipse, maybe try mixing up the setlists a bit so people wouldn't know exactly what to expect.

But this requires more effort on U2's behalf. They may have to have less holidays to the beach. :|

Chizip said:
I started a thread about this that unfortunately got closed. I think they had good intentions, they felt like people who went to multiple shows knew what was going to happen at the shows, so they weren't as excited and it killed some of the atmosphere. But I think it kind of backfired on them, as now a lot of casual fans get into the ellipse, and they are almost disinterested during the songs they don't know, and that really kills the atmosphere.

Then again, you could argue that the diehards arent really that great of fans if they cant get fired up seeing U2 from 10 feet away, regardless of what is being played or the order. :shrug: If they are going to that many shows where they get bored because of the setlist, then maybe they shouldnt be in the ellipse/heart either. Because they obviously dont appreciate it that point either.

See, you could go round and round about it. Who is right? I see a little of both sides really.

Well all reports have indicated that the atmosphere in the heart during the Elevation Tour was a lot better than the atmosphere in the ellipse during this tour. So it looks like the lottery system hasn't produced its intended affect.

So it appears die hards who have seen many shows still go more crazy than casuals only going to one show.

If I were in the heart or ellipse multiple times... I'd be going crazy! There's nothing like the atmosphere of being so close to the band, the fans, the energy... Great chip, now I'm all sad because I don't have any more shows to go to. Thanks. Thanks a lot :huh:

<off to get my hair done. Like it matters anymore :no: :sad:

Chizip said:
Well all reports have indicated that the atmosphere in the heart during the Elevation Tour was a lot better than the atmosphere in the ellipse during this tour. So it looks like the lottery system hasn't produced its intended affect.

So it appears die hards who have seen many shows still go more crazy than casuals only going to one show.

Well that is a HIGHLY subjective thing and to say it "appears" that way isnt based on any type of concrete evidence or proof other than you say so (something some people got all over my case accusing me of doing not very long ago :laugh: ). I'm sure thats what the diehards that hate the lottery are saying. Would be curious what the band thought. That is really the only subjective opinion that has any type bearing. I would say they either dont think there is much of a difference OR they think its better on Vertigo. If they didnt I think they would have changed the procedure back to the Elevation way for the third leg. :shrug:

Also, just because someone doesnt camp out all day, doesnt mean they are not diehards or big fans. From what I saw in Detroit, there were plenty of Interferencers in the ellipse anyway even with the lottery. So its not just novice fans getting in there.

Last edited:
The diehards still manage to get up front (they are just not guaranteed the front inner rail every time). At each of the shows I've gone to with GA tix, a lot of the same people were either in the front row of the ellipse or the front rail outside. I saw that a few of these folks hold places along the rail for their friends who were further back in line (or they allowed them to cut into the front of the line when the doors open).

Personally, I don't mind the lottery (but then I've been lucky enough to get inside four out of six times).

it's not the diehards' fault the band plays pretty much the setlist night in night out. On the other hand, no matter how many shows I have seen, I still get excited about whatever they play when i am there -- just not excited during the set list parties when there is no change.

I saw a couple of people in the ellipse during one of the shows I went to, hanging out by the rail, leaning against the rail in the back, eating pizza while the band was doing Electric Co.

Yeah, they sure brought a fresh energy. Pepperoni.

At the Boston Elevation show, which was being filmed for the DVD, some idiotic "hardcore" fans thought it would be cute to have a retarded little "protest" about ticket line-up procedures, by sitting down and facing away from the band during the first couple of songs.

I'm sure after that little stunt, the band decided enough was enough.

I think what's even better is that there are diehards out there who are online the second that tickets go onsale, yet still end up getting shut out of GA. :yes: Damn you, TicketBastard...

I agree, though. The lottery system just doesn't sound like a good idea, whichever way you cut it. The ellipsers didn't look too bad in Toronto, but I could imagine they'd be worse in other places. Although, from where I was standing, they might as well have been ants so I can't really tell.

anitram said:
I saw a couple of people in the ellipse during one of the shows I went to, hanging out by the rail, leaning against the rail in the back, eating pizza while the band was doing Electric Co.

Yeah, they sure brought a fresh energy. Pepperoni.

Yeah, at one of the MSG shows, we saw a couple of people in the front row of the ellipse, against the stage, who were just kind of leaning there with a hand on their chin looking kind of bored. UGH! There were so many other people that would have made so much more out of that evening. Though, you'd still have to get there pretty damn early to get in the front row of the ellipse, right? I just didn't get it. I glanced down at them a couple of times and they seemed pretty blase' about it all night. Grrr!

LyricalDrug said:
At the Boston Elevation show, which was being filmed for the DVD, some idiotic "hardcore" fans thought it would be cute to have a retarded little "protest" about ticket line-up procedures, by sitting down and facing away from the band during the first couple of songs.

I'm sure after that little stunt, the band decided enough was enough.

i really think that the boston protest has a lot to do with the lottery as well. and paul mcguiness's reasons for supporting the lottery could very well be different from larry's, or bono's, or edge's, etc.

btw, i don't recall bono ever yelling at the audience during one of the Elevation shows like he did at the 10/8/05 show at MSG...

Wasn't the Elevation sit-down protest because the crew had ignored the line-up and picked a number of "pretty people" to be in the front and therefore on the DVD more?

If that's what happened, I think they were justified in protesting. It's insulting and then some. It pisses me off just to think about it.

No it wasn't because of looks, or from watching the dvd, I don't think so. :eeklaugh:
They picked people from the back of the line who they thought would be fresher, since they hadn't slept on the sidewalk all night.
From what I remember reading, it was the back of the first 300 people so it was still folks that would have been in the heart anyway, they just wouldn't have been front row.

Oh. Okay. Well, if that's the case, I guess that's different. I still would have been slightly pissed, though. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Wasn't the Elevation sit-down protest because the crew had ignored the line-up and picked a number of "pretty people" to be in the front and therefore on the DVD more?

If that's what happened, I think they were justified in protesting. It's insulting and then some. It pisses me off just to think about it.

what happened in boston was kind of like a crew-imposed "lottery". someone in U2's camp decided that they wanted new faces up front for the DVD. these were not the so-called 'beautiful' people- i know a couple of people who were picked to go in early, and they look like every other U2 fan (the only thing that set them apart is that they were at the back of the GA line).

i don't necessarily disagree with the protest either- and i think what U2 did was wrong that day. however, from the band's perspective, they saw about 30 fans sit down in the heart throughout the first part of a show that was being filmed for a DVD. that probably pissed some people off (larry has an incredibly disgusted look on his face at one point).

again, i'm NOT blaming the lottery on the boston fans. they had every right to protest, and i believe that what U2 did that day was wrong.

also, it's important to note that the U2 camp was already having problems with the old GA system BEFORE the protest- that's why they had 'new faces' up front for that boston show.

*Ally* said:

also, it's important to note that the U2 camp was already having problems with the old GA system BEFORE the protest- that's why they had 'new faces' up front for that boston show.

what problems?

I think the Boston protest played a big part in the lottery we have today.

I watched the Dave Fanning interview that was done in June of this year that was recently aired on Ovation (downloaded it from u2torrents) and for Bono to remember this incident very clearly 4 years later is very telling. It was very interesting to watch him talk about it as opposed to just reading or listening to him.

Now has the lottery accomplished what the band envisioned, probably not. At least I don't think so.

I think the only way the lottery would have worked would have been to guarantee that the 2000 people in the line were hardcore fans (doesn't matter what time they arrived). Instead the line is littered with people who just happened to get a GA ticket and went to the show because it was the show of the year, no clue about the ellipse, the lottery, that there were no seats in GA etc.

Axver said:

Why would it be a joke?

You do realise that the band are spending roughly a year away from home for you lot, working their arses off. They don't have to work any more for someone listening in to concerts behind a computer screen.

You arrogant prick. :|

I really think the system used today for the lottery is best. Its fair, unbiased and most importantly gives everyone an equal chance. Most people can't line up all day or sleep out and it would not be fair for the same people to benefit all the time if they could. Even if I could, I am not sure I would -- I would be so knackered by the time the show started.

Sure, its a personal choice if you want to sleep on the street, camp out etc. But the fact that I can get in line at 5:30 PM and have a chance to get into the ellipse - brillant!

The only other thing I'll say, in my humble opinion, is that even if people look bored, they may be having the time of their lives. Some people just are that way... fortunately I am not one of them and dance and sing like a crazy person at the shows, but at the end of the day, everyone has a fair shot and everyone has spent their hard earned money for that shot.

The last thing I'll say, most fans never get the opportunity to be this close to their favorite bands, most bands don't engage their audience like U2 does... I'm just grateful that I can be there enjoying the vibe and the music

Bodnex said:

You do realise that the band are spending roughly a year away from home for you lot, working their arses off. They don't have to work any more for someone listening in to concerts behind a computer screen.

You arrogant prick. :|

That's a tad bit harsh don't you think? :|

Back
Top Bottom